Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Z-Corn

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:28 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am Am I the only person watching Lodge 49? I don't even know how to describe it, but it's been a completely enjoyable experience.
We've only watched two episodes so far but yeah, it looks like it's gonna be weird and good and weird.
Coming back 8/12!

TiVo is primed!

Still only watched 2 episodes!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I gotta get on that.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Just finished Season 3 of Handmaid's. Really great finale. I saw some reviews complaining it was too similar to previous finales, but I disagree. I know what they meant, but I thought the fact that it was so much bigger in scope than S1 and S2 (for lack of a better way to describe it) made up for the lack of resolution that perhaps the reviewers wanted. Elizabeth Moss really just commands the screen in this role, particularly when she's wearing those handmaid outfits. Loved it and can't wait for the next season.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm about halfway through S1 of Mindhunter. I know I'm late to the party; not sure why I didn't watch this before. Anyway, it's damn good. I don't know what is blowing my mind more. That Agent Olivia Dunham is Dr. Carr (took me forever to realize it was her) or that the same actor that played Hazel in the Umbrella Academy is playing Ed Kemper (and he looks just like him).

Also, it's awesome that they start each episode with little snapshots of the BTK strangler, I'm guessing as a clear exception to the profiles they're building in the 70s about serial killers.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think I'm the only one watching Lodge 49, but this second season is just as good as the first. It's probably one of the only show I watch the night it's airing because it's so damn good. I think there's only like 3 episodes left at this point so catch up if you can!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just got caught up on Season 3 of The Good Place. I came in with fairly low expectations, but it’s now neck and neck with Scrubs as my favorite sitcom ever. Such a fantastic cast and premise.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished binging through Fleabag as well. I wasn’t crazy about the first season’s “awful people being awful to each other” vibe, but the second season was fantastic. Toning down the sexuality and focusing on the actual relationships helped the show a lot. And Andrew Scott was fantastic as The Priest.

Season1: 5/8 tentacles
Season 2: 7/8 tentacles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I finished Dark Crystal the other day, so I started something that's been on my list for a while: Altered Carbon. I'm only one episode in, but I absolutely despise the main character. I'll give it a couple more episodes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:32 pm I finished Dark Crystal the other day, so I started something that's been on my list for a while: Altered Carbon. I'm only one episode in, but I absolutely despise the main character. I'll give it a couple more episodes.
It’s an incredibly polarizing show. I personally loved it, but have talked to quite a few people who absolutely hated it as well. Doesn’t seem to be much in between.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I missed the movie when it was released as I wasn't in the right demographic for it at the time, and I recently tried watching it on Netflix and I didn't care much for it, therefore I likely wouldn't care much for the series either. I think it hits a very specific demographic.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:32 pm I finished Dark Crystal the other day, so I started something that's been on my list for a while: Altered Carbon. I'm only one episode in, but I absolutely despise the main character. I'll give it a couple more episodes.
I think Altered Carbon is great. Lodge 49 is also tops, but it'll never see a season 3.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:33 pmILodge 49 is also tops, but it'll never see a season 3.
Are you trying to ruin my weekend? It's absolutely my favorite show on TV right now. If they don't give it a 3rd season, I at least hope this week's episode wraps up everything (it won't).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season 2 ended for Lodge 49, and while it could serve as a series ending I hope it does not. That is seriously one of the most uplifting shows on TV. I actually felt *good* after finishing the S2 finale last night. I feel like this is easily one of the most underrated shows on TV.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you were alive in the 1980s and aware of MTV and "the rap music", I'd highly recommend watching one of the episodes of AMC's Hip Hop: The Songs That Shook America:

I think its Episode 3, focused exclusively on RUN DMC's Rock Box. I knew it was a big deal; I didn't realize how big. It just aired on Sunday for the first time, so it should still be airing all this week.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I just finished Naruto and have started watching Naruto:Shippuden. At present rate that is all I will be watching through XMas, maybe longer, depending on how long it holds my attention and if the dubbed episodes run out and I get tired of reading subtitles. 500 20 minute episodes could be my TV watching through spring or longer. This could be the final straw to move me to cutting the cord. If there is steamed media that demonstrably holds my attention for months at a time, I could finally make the move. (It's hard because One Punch Man just started and Rick and Morty start up shortly. If it weren't that timing I probably would have got a hair up my ass when I paid my last cable bill and quit right then.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:13 am It's hard because One Punch Man just started and Rick and Morty start up shortly.
Image Image

Hulu and Hulu
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:33 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:13 am It's hard because One Punch Man just started and Rick and Morty start up shortly.
Image Image

Hulu and Hulu
OPM season 2 is not available to stream in English yet (or wasn't as of two weeks ago)
I'm guessing R&M (season 4 of the five episodes of season 4) will have a delay from Adult Swim live to streaming but past performance is not indicative of future results.

No matter, though. It's getting harder and harder to justify keeping cable now that I am actively streaming. I only do so much TV watching. As streaming becomes something I do, $60+ a month for the basic cable half of my cable/internet becomes more of a glaring waste.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The first three episodes of OPM have been shown dubbed on Toonami. Adult Swim streams from their site. Watching back episodes requires your (or someone's :ninja: ) cable login.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 am The first three episodes of OPM have been shown dubbed on Toonami. Adult Swim streams from their site. Watching back episodes requires your (or someone's :ninja: ) cable login.
AS allowing non subscribers to stream current episodes is something I need to learn about. If AS ever allow me to subscribe to them directly at a reasonable rate, then my reason for having cable pretty much goes away. Last I checked that was not an option. I had to go third party. I've mostly been watching Hulu pricing (currently called Hulu Live) options. The price hasn't made sense... though might change as Hulu is starting to be bundled with other services, like Sprint. If Hulu/Sprint put a dent in Live costs then everything changes.

Of course monitoring all this is an effort and switching stuff a bother. It's all a drag.

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rittchard wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:48 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm We're nearing the end of S1 of Dark Matter. It has its moments, but it doesn't rank up there with the best sf shows. Will finish it since it only lasted two seasons, but I can't recommend it.
I really enjoyed it and was bummed out when it got cancelled. It wasn't that it was really good sci-fi but I just enjoyed the cast a lot and I felt like the show had a fun energy to it. Reminded me a lot of Farscape.
Watched the last episode tonight. I hadn't realized that it was canceled unexpectedly and ended on a cliffhanger. The internet tells me that because it wasn't a SyFy original, they couldn't monetize it, so they killed it despite having decent ratings and costing them nothing to produce. Efforts to wrap things up with a short 4th season came to naught.

Thanks, SyFy.

Oh well. Now we're starting S2 of Dexter, which I'm liking a lot more than I expected to.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I had tried to get into Parks & Rec a couple times, but it just never worked for me. I had only made it to the second episode, mainly because Aziz Ansari's character drove me nuts.

I needed a new binge, so I gave it one more shot this week...and it finally clicked. Finishing up Season 2 now, and find it hilarious. Only 5 more seasons to go!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Watched The Rover. Guy Pearce, Robert Pattinson, and Scoot McNairy in a smaller but meaningful role. An extremely bleak, brutal road movie/modern western set in Australia a decade after societal collapse. The main character does some horrific things yet still invokes sympathy, as he's making pragmatic choices in a world where human life no longer has meaning to him or many others. The "reveal" at the very end is understated... some will find it meaningful, others silly. But it's logically consistent and in no way diminishes what has come before if you examine what's been revealed about the main character. This is one of the more realistic feeling films I've seen in this setting and it's very good. (Though I would happily watch Guy Pearce tile a floor.) Also an outstanding score and use of music in the sense of an indie film.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Watched the finale to The Good Place last night. Man, that was an emotional gut punch. I'm still unpacking everything they threw in there.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

To take a break from studying, and I ran out of Ice Pilots NWT episodes (watched all six seasons), I watched "Chasing Planes" (about an air museum in Colorado), and Mega Mechanics (mechanics fixing huge structures and vehicles in Australia, including mining equipment, cane extractor factory, and Quantas airliner hangars). But didn't find anything else to watch.

So I went ahead and watched Bumblebee, something I never watched before. Yes, I know. Lame movie to start with. Some of the comedic situations are pretty forced. And they cheated a TON with the triple-changers.

Yes, the Decepticons in the movie were TRIPLE changers (bot / air vehicle / muscle car), and they completely messed up the comic continuity. Shatter and Dropkick were NOT triple changers in the merchandise and comic universe. Blitzwing (the first Decepticon B-127/Bumblebee destroyed) was supposed to be, but he only appeared in jet form in the movie.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Watching Top Shot, it's interesting how they always play up the drama out of it, by making someone out to be the fall guy, usually the minority guy. First season they pretty much made JJ the fall guy, and it's clear Jay is the universally hated for 2nd season. They always play up the fact that he's resistant to any coaching, yet he somehow wins the elimination challenges. Hehehe.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:14 pm Season 2 ended for Lodge 49, and while it could serve as a series ending I hope it does not. That is seriously one of the most uplifting shows on TV. I actually felt *good* after finishing the S2 finale last night. I feel like this is easily one of the most underrated shows on TV.
No idea how I missed this, but the show was officially cancelled about two weeks after I wrote that post. As if this timeline couldn't get any worse. Still a great show to watch and quite uplifting. Would recommend, even now.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hentzau wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:32 pm Watched the finale to The Good Place last night. Man, that was an emotional gut punch. I'm still unpacking everything they threw in there.
Mrs. Skinypupy and I watched this last night. And you’re right, that was both devastating and uplifting. After a so-so final season, I thought they went out on a really great note. Been thinking about it quite a bit today, which is uncommon for a sitcom.

Side note: The Good Place is one of only three TV shows that the missus and I both enjoy (Scrubs and Red Dwarf are the other two)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:04 pm What We Do in the Shadows was renewed by FX for a second season. It's well deserved.

BAT!
Season 2 premiere is tonight and I think it will then air on Hulu tomorrow or something. I can't pretend to understand how this stuff works.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:26 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:04 pm What We Do in the Shadows was renewed by FX for a second season. It's well deserved.

BAT!
Season 2 premiere is tonight and I think it will then air on Hulu tomorrow or something. I can't pretend to understand how this stuff works.
This is correct. Tonight at 10 PM Eastern on FX, and tomorrow on Hulu. 2 episodes, too!
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Stuff I watched this week:

The Lighthouse - It's as amazing as you've heard, but it's definitely not a comfortable watch.

Solomon Kane - Only marginally above average, but James Purefoy is always fantastic.

TV (ongoing):

Veep, Season 4 - These are despicable, detestable characters. And mostly not in the charming way. But much like The Office (U.S.) I'm glad I didn't give up on it as some of the satire is very sharp, and the political drama is interesting. Still, much like real politics, watching it hurts my soul a bit.

Outlander, Season 4 - I'm so glad I gave this series a try. But since last season, while I'm sure being faithful to the source material, it's feeling a bit like it's gone off the rails. What's next, a season on the moon? Also, for trying to responsibly address issues of race and equality in the 18th century (through to the the 20th), the main characters still feel incredibly privileged. But I guess that's the romance-fantasy aspect of the story. You can't go to all these amazing places and do all these amazing things if you're consumed with life's grim realities. (Which... I guess applies equally to modern times and fantasy fiction in general.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:55 pm I had tried to get into Parks & Rec a couple times, but it just never worked for me. I had only made it to the second episode, mainly because Aziz Ansari's character drove me nuts.

I needed a new binge, so I gave it one more shot this week...and it finally clicked. Finishing up Season 2 now, and find it hilarious. Only 5 more seasons to go!
It's a shame Parks and Rec takes about a season and a half to really get things together because I think it's one of my favorite shows - but it's a tough to tell someone "it's great but not until after 10-15 episodes".
wire

Post by wire »

We finished the seasons of Shitts Creek that were on Netflix and are now waiting for the final season to be released. Such a great show and cast. We are now watching Shameless and are about halfway through season 2 and are really liking it.

Regarding Parks and Rec...yeah we started watching it when it came out and stopped about three episodes in. We had previously tried watching The Office and hated it so were getting the same vibe with P&R. We went back to Parks a few seasons in and rewatched it and got hooked. We finally went back to watch The Office and liked it but it's not as rewatchable for me as Parks and Rec.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Exodor wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:33 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:55 pm I had tried to get into Parks & Rec a couple times, but it just never worked for me. I had only made it to the second episode, mainly because Aziz Ansari's character drove me nuts.

It's a shame Parks and Rec takes about a season and a half to really get things together because I think it's one of my favorite shows - but it's a tough to tell someone "it's great but not until after 10-15 episodes".
Yeah, it does start to hit its stride somewhere in the middle of season 2 once they figure out Leslie Knope's character, but it really takes off once Chris Traeger and Ben Wyatt shows up and Mark Brendanawicz leaves. Which is wild, since Paul Schneider got 3rd billing the two seasons he was on!
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Man, Haley Joel Osment was brilliant in What We Do In The Shadows last night.

TOPHER.
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote - Well that was disappointing. But I hope it pleased Terry Gilliam. I enjoyed some of it, but it's the most meandering of his post-2000 films. (Most of which I've liked, even though they'll never live up to his older ones.)

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Amazon Prime currently has all the Bond films (except for the two most recent Daniel Craigs), but they're leaving May 1st. So I'm doing a massive binge with a built-in time limit. :D
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Celebrating the purchase of a new OLED 4K TV with the Ultra 4K version of Braveheart.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm finally going to cave and get CBS No Access this weekend so I can watch ST Picard. The code "GIFT" supposedly gives one a free month if used before 4/23. If ST Discovery hooks me, I'll stick around; if not, I'll cancel after Picard.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:48 pm The Man Who Killed Don Quixote - Well that was disappointing. But I hope it pleased Terry Gilliam. I enjoyed some of it, but it's the most meandering of his post-2000 films. (Most of which I've liked, even though they'll never live up to his older ones.)
Yeah, I tried watching that a few months ago and I don't think I made it through more than a half hour. It has moments of brilliance, but it's mostly incoherent. Very confusing to follow too.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It definitely feels like Gilliam (hard to believe he's still getting away with those lenses and camera angles), but it has a surreal quality without a payoff. The lead character is overly crass, and not in a humourous or expositive way. (Though I do think Adam Driver's acting was delightful in general. And as good as Rochefort or Hurt may have been for the role, Pryce was exceptional.) The script didn't seem to have evolved much from the flashes we saw in Lost in La Mancha, in which Johnny Depp yelled "fucker!" at a fish in the most unfunny scene I've ever witnessed.

Dark Waters - Mary Ruffalo, Anne Hathaway, Tim Robbins. This is a very good (if predictable, though based on true events) Erin Brockovich movie. Obviously dramatized, but the implications are terrifying. While the amounts of these chemicals most of the world's population has been in contact with are likely within safer limits, I had no idea of their specific existence. And the litigation is ongoing for a story that started over 20 years ago. It's overly simplistic to say corporations are the devil... but corporations are the devil.