Books Read 2012

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: Books Read 2012

Post by YellowKing »

I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. While reading it I thought it was rather dull and run-of-the-mill, and didn't really get the hype. However, the characters have a way of sticking in your mind and gestating there for awhile. When I watched the movie trailer I realized that I actually enjoyed the book way more than I though I did while reading it, if that makes any sense at all. :D
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote:I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. While reading it I thought it was rather dull and run-of-the-mill, and didn't really get the hype. However, the characters have a way of sticking in your mind and gestating there for awhile. When I watched the movie trailer I realized that I actually enjoyed the book way more than I though I did while reading it, if that makes any sense at all. :D

The first couple of chapters really bored me to tears and I was wondering what all the hubbub was about. Almost put the book down (or deleted the book would be more accurate in this e-book age) But once the book got away from the beginning setup I enjoyed it and was quite pleasantly surprised that all the numbing details from the beginning was quite important in the end. (Being somewhat vague in order to not spoil things).

The rest of the trilogy was alot more focused and went along at a faster pace. You may enjoy those books more, YK. The Swedish movies were pretty good as well (used to be streaming on Netflix) but can't say anything about the US version.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The rest of the trilogy was alot more focused and went along at a faster pace. You may enjoy those books more, YK.
Yeah, I'm about halfway through The Girl Who Played With Fire and already find it much more entertaining. The first book is very important in laying the foundation of the characters, however, so I'm glad I powered my way through it.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

The Story of the Stone by Barry Hughart
Reread. I love Hugharts' version of old China and the mysteries that Li Kao and Number Ten Ox solve - and even better than the mysteries is how Li Kao solves them.

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi
I know that I read H. Beam Piper's "Little Fuzzy" a long time ago, and I remember that I liked it. Apparently Scalzi's book started out as a personal writing experiment and his publisher talked him into publishing it (or so it says in the book). I wish I could compare the two -- because I know from checking out reviews at Amazon that the main character has the same name and that the general story is the same -- but I don't recall the original. But I did enjoy Scalzi's version.

Conrad's Fate by Diana Wynne Jones
This is one of Jones' "Chrestomanci" books and probably the one I liked best. These are great kids books (but I like them, too) and if you are looking for something to read to your children (or get for them to read), I recommend them.
If you are wondering who Diana Wynne Jones is, she is the author of the book on which Hayao Miyazaki based his animated movie "Howl's Moving Castle".

Spider Bones by Kathy Reichs (audio book)
We listened to half of this on our way to Octocon and listened to the other half on our way home. Listening to books keeps us from falling asleep on long drives.
The tv show "Bones" is based loosely on Reichs' books - in fact, Reich's is a consultant for the show - except that the book Temperance Brennan is older, has a sex life, and has a college/post-college age daughter, and works in both North Carolina and Quebec. While the books don't have the squints, they are still good reads.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A Time to Die: The Untold Story of the Kursk Tragedy by Robert Moore[/list][/quote]

This book takes a look at the tragedy of the Kursk sinking and the struggles that occur in attempting to rescue those that survived the initial accident. It covers the attempts by the Russians with their aged, poorly maintained equipment, as well as the political struggles to allow the Western world to offer assistance.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I devoured Ready Player One in a day and a half. It's like someone mined my 80s nostalgia, and put it on paper. The descriptions and pop culture references could not have been more vivid in my mind.

It was a great way to transition from the excellent Way of Kings from Brandon Sanderson.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Knock at the Door: A Mother's Survival of the Armenian Genocide by Margaret Ahnert

This is the tale of one woman's childhood in Armenia, her survival of the genocide visited upon her people by the Turks, her survival, and immigration to America. The story is told to her daughter, the author, who intersperses the stories with her visits to her in the Armenian retirement home.

I enjoyed getting to read the story and see not only what the woman went through, but also how those stories had an impact on her daughter and extended family.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

"American Gods" really picked up, just about right after I posted before. Enjoyed it overall. Wondered whether "Anansi Boys" was connected and I guess so.

The Millenium Trilogy books ("Dragon Tattoo" books? The "Girl with..." trilogy? Stieg Larsson's books? There's no easy way to label these it seems...) were really interesting. Agreed that the first one started off slow. The second book's ending was interesting/unexpected. The third one was pretty lacking in any dramatic action. Yet, I enjoyed reading them all. It was strange. The Swedish movies were ok, IMO. I did enjoy the books more for the extra details, subplots, etc. but the films did a decent job. Haven't seen the US version yet.

Went to buy "Ready Player One" at a real B&M bookstore a few weeks back. (I had a gift card to spend, and time to kill). They didn't have it. Was very annoyed. Still high on my list. In fact, I might go hunt it down online, since I think I have another gift card I could burn. Looking forward to it.

I've started "The Hunger Games". I'm not sure why. I think because it was free. Quick read, and I'm not expecting much. /shrug
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

Zarathud wrote:I devoured Ready Player One in a day and a half. It's like someone mined my 80s nostalgia, and put it on paper. The descriptions and pop culture references could not have been more vivid in my mind..
Ditto.
Xfire/Xbox Live/Steam Tag: gwartok
Gumps

Post by Gumps »

Baroquen wrote:"
I've started "The Hunger Games". I'm not sure why. I think because it was free. Quick read, and I'm not expecting much. /shrug
Yeah, I just finished. Primarily read it because of all of the hype. Great story concept, good plotting, average writing and characters. Not much depth and very little "world building". I would recommend for a quick light read, but don't expect a Chabon novel here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

gwartok wrote:
Zarathud wrote:I devoured Ready Player One in a day and a half. It's like someone mined my 80s nostalgia, and put it on paper. The descriptions and pop culture references could not have been more vivid in my mind..
Ditto.
I'm listening to the audio book during my walks at night. It's not that I'm not enjoying it, but there are a couple of things that are keeping me from really enjoying it.

1) Wil Wheaton is not a great reader. He's not bad, but he's pretty uneven. I hated his reading at the beginning, then grew to like it, now I'm back to annoyed. The problem is, is that he's trying to make everything TOO dramatic. I must be on the 3rd chapter of him emphasizing EVERY. SINGLE. SENTENCE. as if it were the big reveal at the end of a detective story. It's tiresome after awhile.

2) I often feel the book is just a series of pop culture references. Yes, I'm the target audience. I'm almost the exact age as the game designer guy (can't even think of his name right now, embarrassing) was supposed to be. Every single reference to the 80's not only resonates with me, I was the exact same age as the character the author's references are coming from. So I'm the guy. This book was written for me, and everyone else that grew up along with me. But it's almost too much. I get that the character was obsessed with that time period, but as a reader, I'm not. Flooding me with cultural references to my coming of age timeframe is fine, up to a point. It's just that we past that point a long time ago. I swear entire chapters are just descriptions of cultural icons, songs, games, movies and anything else from the 80's, one after another. Ugh.

But I'm still listening to it, and I want to see how it ends, so there is no risk that I'll shelve it, despite not being completely enchanted by it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Gumps wrote:Yeah, I just finished. Primarily read it because of all of the hype. Great story concept, good plotting, average writing and characters. Not much depth and very little "world building". I would recommend for a quick light read, but don't expect a Chabon novel here.
I agree with that for the most part, but I'd say that the writing is not so much average as designed for an adolescent audience. Like you, I found myself thinking the writing was simplistic and too straightforward for my tastes, but then I'd remind myself who the target audience is (it's a young adult book, specifically) and that gave me enough perspective to stop judging it so harshly.

It may or may not be the same thing for you.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Baroquen wrote:"American Gods" really picked up, just about right after I posted before. Enjoyed it overall. Wondered whether "Anansi Boys" was connected and I guess so.

The Millenium Trilogy books ("Dragon Tattoo" books? The "Girl with..." trilogy? Stieg Larsson's books? There's no easy way to label these it seems...) were really interesting. Agreed that the first one started off slow. The second book's ending was interesting/unexpected. The third one was pretty lacking in any dramatic action. Yet, I enjoyed reading them all. It was strange. The Swedish movies were ok, IMO. I did enjoy the books more for the extra details, subplots, etc. but the films did a decent job. Haven't seen the US version yet.
I'm not an expert on Anansi Boys, but I've read it and American Gods, and I'd say the two are only superficially related, if at all. Both are good reads, but I enjoyed American Gods the most. Definitely read Anansi Boys if you liked American Gods.

I've heard that the American movie surpasses the Swedish movie of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, although I haven't seen either.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

Finished Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks by Jeopardy winner Ken Jennings. If you find anything at all interesting about the title, then it gets my highest recommendation. Covering everything to high-pointers to high end collectors, Jennings takes a favorable look at the world of geonerds.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

George, Nicholas and Wilhelm: Three Royal Cousins and the Road to World War I

Oddly, Amazon doesn't list a Kindle version for the US, despite the fact that I checked out said version from my local library.

Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany, Emperor Nicholas II of Russia, and King George V of Great Britain, all grandchildren of Queen Victoria, heads of state leading into WWI. And yet, despite their roles, none of them suited for the leadership roles in which they were thrust.

The book takes a look at the rulers from a very personal level, showing off their personalities and character, which was to have a huge impact on the world at large. Wilhelm, with his inferiority complex to the British, Nicholas with his cloistered reticence, and George, the last to come to rule, with his complete lack of focus.

Growing up in the royal families, it is made clear time and again that they had nothing in their upbringings to make a direct connection to their countries and people, no ability to determine matters of import from trivialities. Each man wants to be the autocrat, yet are trapped by the men around them, fed what others want them to see, badgered or ignored when their presence is inconvenient.

It truly is a sad treatise on the world of the late 19th century that these men, with their lack of connection to reality, were the ones that allowed millions to be driven to their death through their lack of leadership and disconnect from reality.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GreenGoo wrote:
Baroquen wrote:"American Gods" really picked up, just about right after I posted before. Enjoyed it overall. Wondered whether "Anansi Boys" was connected and I guess so.

I'm not an expert on Anansi Boys, but I've read it and American Gods, and I'd say the two are only superficially related, if at all. Both are good reads, but I enjoyed American Gods the most. Definitely read Anansi Boys if you liked American Gods.

I've heard that the American movie surpasses the Swedish movie of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, although I haven't seen either.
I was the other way around - very disappointed with American Gods (mostly never connected with the protagonist), but loved Anansi Boys.

Epic 4g/Tapatalk
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It may have been a greater connection with Norse gods for me. I also loved how they were integrated into current times. It was just a fun take on how those gods would be living today
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Well I just finished Storm of Swords by GRR Martin and have just continued on to Feast of Crows.

Is the 5th book in paperback yet?

I liked Storm of Swords, with the last 250 pages being excellent.

I do see that as a real self defeating read though if I have to wait 10 years for the next 2 books and the conclusion. The frustration will be intense. :x
Black Lives Matter
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

So, for the clueless like myself, American Gods is out in a 10th anniversary edition that is 12,000 words longer than the book of 2001. I read it when it first came out, but I guess I'll be re-reading it when my place comes up in the library queue.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Neuromancer by William Gibson

My first time reading it. This is the granddaddy of cyberpunk novels, and I find myself wishing that I'd gotten a hold of it when I was in junior high. This truly is an excellent read, but of course, it's been ripped off by everyone and their dog over the last 28 years.

The book still holds up, to my mind at least. I enjoyed it and look forward to exploring the genre along kind of a historical vein, reading stuff in a general order of release.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Had an urge to re-read Ender's game this weekend, so blew through it on Saturday. Still a classic which any fan of sci-fi should read (it's not very long and written in a rather light prose, so you can fly through it really quick).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Neuromancer by William Gibson

My first time reading it. This is the granddaddy of cyberpunk novels, and I find myself wishing that I'd gotten a hold of it when I was in junior high. This truly is an excellent read, but of course, it's been ripped off by everyone and their dog over the last 28 years.
I've commented on this before, but I don't recall if it was on OO or not. The "problem" with reading the classics, is that they are often trite and simplistic and unsophisticated by today's standards, as the concepts in them were not fully fleshed out. In the meantime, everyone and their mom has latched onto all the original ideas and expanded them to meet more modern tastes. This all ends up making the classics seem like cheap knockoffs, rather than the genre expanding, envelope pushing masterpieces they are.

So i try to read anything old school with a sense of their place in history, which allows me to enjoy them far more than if they were just another book I pulled from the pile of my reading list.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Finished reading 'New York' by Edward Rutherfurd, and wow, what an amazing book. Any fan of historical fiction should take a look at this. In the style of James Michener, the author chronicles the story of New York's development, starting with the dutch settlement of New Amsterdam, and he does this by following different generations of the same family over centuries, in what is a compelling piece of work. I can't recommend it enough. It's done in a much broader scope than you would expect, resulting in the book being as much about American history in general as it is about the city itself, and it's supremely entertaining.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:Neuromancer by William Gibson

The book still holds up, to my mind at least. I enjoyed it and look forward to exploring the genre along kind of a historical vein, reading stuff in a general order of release.
I always felt that Mona Lisa Overdrive was his best of the early series, I think it holds up well too.

Epic 4g/Tapatalk
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Just finished Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, 1st in the Fall of the Malazon series.

Can't say it impressed me at all. This is a 4 of 8 tentacles book to me. Some "key" figures died, but no one I expected to live died at all. Heck, the core group at the end saying they "lost three," the truth is they lost no one - the three just chose a different path. I felt I had to slog through the novel, vice being compelled to continue reading. Yes - the end was more compelled, but the first 2/3rds was a slog. Do the other Malazon novels get better or is it more of the same??

This is nothing close to what GRRM achieved with his Song of Ice and Fire or the early novels in the Wheel of Time series. Not getting the love for Erikson based on the first novel.
hog

Post by hog »

Erikson is an acquired taste.

I suggest giving Deadhouse Gates a shot - it's much better written and has a more coherent plot. If you don't really like DG, then give up. If you're "meh" or better on DG, then give Memories of Ice a try. If you're "meh" or below on Memories of Ice, then definitely give up.
Gumps

Post by Gumps »

I am confused.

What confuses me, well many things, but germane to this conversation is the fact that I don't understand the popularity of the Wheel of Time series.

A little background: I probably started Reading the Wheel of Time close to 15 years ago. I admit, there were enough interesting ideas in Eye of the World, that I read the next two books as well. I was off put by the generic fantasy story line (big bad is on the way, and only some hick boy/girl can come into their power and save the day. I really did not like any of the characters, with the possible exception of Perrin. I felt that Jordan stuck too much to the gender stereotypes that continues to plagues his books (e.g. Women never believing a man knows what he is doing, and men never understanding a women). This never changed, no matter which of the hundreds of characters that have been brought into the story line since then. Speaking of characters, there are way too many. Yes, this is supposed to be an epic story, but unfortunately it gets lost within the many different characters that gets paraded around. Add to that, none of the characters seem to grow throughout the novel, yes that change, but none really grow...they are the same obnoxious person as before they did or became whatever. Also, I find the character interactions plagued by one of the biggest crutches a writer can use (obvious misunderstanding). Not a single character in this book is able to realize that if they talk to the person and explain the issues, much of the issues would be resolved earlier. Yes, I can believe that some characters would not think about talking something out, but every single one. On top of this, the story is plodding. There have been books that feel like absolutely nothing has been accomplished, which is prett amazing given the size of these books.

Ok, now with that rant out of the way, you may ask, why would I pick up the series again where I left of and start reading it again. I blame Brandon Sanderson. I have come to love his work, thus I decided I would pick up where I left off so I could see what he does with story now that he is writing the final 3 (or is it 4) books. Just a couple more of Jordan until I get there.
Bad Demographic

Help - I think I'm addicted. 24 books in 3 months and a week.

I really enjoyed Suzanne Collins' "The Hunger Games" and, eventually, a friend lent us the other two books in the trilogy. In the meanwhile I noticed that she has also written some childrens books - the Gregor the Overlander series - so I have started them. I really like them and if you read them, I strongly recommend reading them in order since I know for sure that book 2 gives away a lot of what happens in book 1.
In Gregor the Overlander, eleven year old Gregor and his two year old sister fall into the Underland (the land below New York) and discover a secret world populated by giant cockroaches, giant rats and humans who settled there hundreds of years ago. The humans believe Gregor is the prophesied "warrior" who will save them from annihilation by the rats.
The Overlander books (I started reading the third today) have most the standard fantasy elements (except magic) - a prophecy, a quest, a party to do the quest, companionship, loyalty, fights, betrayal, etc. Still, they're a fun read. If you liked the Hunger Games books, you may well like these even though they're childrens books.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Start reading history books. That will slow you way down.
Bad Demographic

Power of Three by Diana Wynne Jones
Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones

I seem to be reading a lot of children's and teen's books lately - maybe because I like the authors (Suzanne Collins and Diana Wynne Jones).
Power of Three is a children's book and not part of a series. Gair, second child of village chief Gest and his wise wife Adara, seeks to make their valley safer from their enemies the Dorig and the giants. Lacking his sister's and brother's special abilities, he must rely on all his learning and his wisdom to resolve problems of each group.
This is probably one of my favorite Jones books.

Dark Lord of Derkholm Adventuring parties must save the world from the Dark Lord. Except that the parties are tour groups from another world and Dark Lord Derk is a mild mannered wizard who has been assigned (this year) to play the Dark Lord. The Wizard Council has secret plans to try to disrupt the tours so greatly that the contract they work under will be revoked and the annual tours will end. They just forgot to tell Derk and his family.

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Isgrimnur wrote:Start reading history books. That will slow you way down.
True! But I'd like to be able to list more than one or two books a year.

Black Lives Matter
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. What a wonderful book. I was touched and moved by it, laughed with it and just highly enjoyed it. It made me look at my dog differently.

Recommended.
You complete me.
words
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

I watched Blade Runner back in 2005 (Theatrical version) and just didn't care for it. So I decided, after Neuromancer, I'd read the source material. Didn't care for that either. Was kinda bored with it for most of the time. I thought if the story had followed Phil Resch through his journey, it would have been a much better story.

Meh.

I thought about adding a different version to Netflix and giving it another pass, but based on the comments in the other thread, I believe I'm done with trying to figure out why it's so special to everyone else.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote:Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

I watched Blade Runner back in 2005 (Theatrical version) and just didn't care for it. So I decided, after Neuromancer, I'd read the source material. Didn't care for that either. Was kinda bored with it for most of the time. I thought if the story had followed Phil Resch through his journey, it would have been a much better story.

Meh.

I thought about adding a different version to Netflix and giving it another pass, but based on the comments in the other thread, I believe I'm done with trying to figure out why it's so special to everyone else.

Heh, never read the book, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't very enamored about the movie. Dunno, to me it comes across as very dry, and I've never particularly enjoyed it. Overall, I find Philip K. Dick very hit and miss.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

1920: The Year of Six Presidents by John Pietrusza

I read this at home while reading GRR Martin's books at the gym.

The book starts off slow, detailing the backgrounds of the of the political stars of the time. Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Herbert Hoover, FDR, Warren G Harding and Calvin Coolidge. This is the second book I have read lately that sure reduces any respect I may have had for Woodrow Wilson.

The second half of the book picks up steam, but it is never a "page turner".
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Count Zero by William Gibson

More fun in cyberspace. It's an entertaining read. And the fun thing about it is that it's still futuristic enough not to seem dated.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Rumpy wrote: Overall, I find Philip K. Dick very hit and miss.
_A Scanner Darkly_ should be read in one sitting for best effect.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

A Feast of Crows by GRR Martin.

I found this perhaps the most unsatisfying book so far. Martin even admits it with his final two-page addition at the end of the book.

This is the first book where I felt that maybe he was just adding filler to get to his 7 book goal. The first 900 pages were for the most part just background, additional characters (granted some may prove important) and some very slow plot development. The last 100 pages were very good, with again some shocks and surprises.

When this book hits HBO I can see the season grinding to a halt for those who haven't read the books or are just completely hooked.

I plan on reading the 5th book, but not until the mass market paperback comes out in July? Until then I will reading some history books, or at least something from a different genre.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad by Stephen Phillips

It entertained me enough to finish it, even though I doubt I learned much from it that I hadn't seen in documentaries or an episode or two of The Unit.

The one mystery of whodunit is patently telegraphed at one point in the book, the female characters have no depth, and the denouement is quick and unsatisfying.

Given that it's written by a former Navy EOD tech and is his first novel, I'm not really surprised, I guess. I didn't consider it a waste of time to read the book, but it wasn't one that I'll ever want to revisit. Unless this is well in your wheelhouse of interests, you can skip it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Land with No Sun: A Year in Vietnam With the 173rd Airborne by Command Sergeant Major Ted G. Arthurs

The book seemed to be written in a serial style, as the author jumps around in the timeline and explains some of the same events and items repeatedly, but that's not why I read these books.

It was an interesting look into the hell that was fighting in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam during the height of the conflict and a fitting tribute to those men that fought there.