Kiva [Microlending to the less fortunate]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

killbot737

Re: Kiva [Microlending to the less fortunate]

Post by killbot737 »

I just applied to OO, You guys should accept me. :) I've been loaning on kiva for a long time, only had one go bad but even then somehow it got paid back.

ed I noticed I personally have one more loan than this group combined so I should be good for our stats!
There is no hug button. Sad!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

killbot737 wrote:I just applied to OO, You guys should accept me. :) I've been loaning on kiva for a long time, only had one go bad but even then somehow it got paid back.
Accepted.
ed I noticed I personally have one more loan than this group combined so I should be good for our stats!
Only loans made after joining count, unfortunately. Otherwise we'd be much higher.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I checked our stats after my latest loan tonight--we're doing quite well one year in!

Enlarge Image
DD*

Post by DD* »

Just sent a request to be invited... :)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

DD* wrote:Just sent a request to be invited... :)
Accepted! And apparently they're running a bonus right now for accepted invites (funding of which is from an anonymous Kiva donor), so our team got a 2nd loan from me tonight thanks to your joining.

Onward and upward...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We had another join request last night but it's gone now. Weird.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just noticed that the next loan made via the OO team will make $2,000 loaned out by OOers. Nice job, folks.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Thanks for the reminder. I had some built-up karma ready to send back into the world.

In my opinion, this is a terrific way to help those who are helping themselves. Sign up today, OO'ers....
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I was checking out our team stats tonight, and we're looking good. Well ahead of last year's loan amount with a third of the year to go. Nice job, all. Interesting that we give 70% to women and 30% to men.

If anyone new wants to join us, here's an invite link. Kiva is running a bonus promotion again where joining up earns you and your inviter a free loan funding.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Ok, will join you guys. Lets do some giving.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Matrix wrote:Ok, will join you guys. Lets do some giving.
Sweet; just approved who I think is you.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Zaxxon wrote:Interesting that we give 70% to women and 30% to men.
I do this on purpose as a small measure to keep women away from any sex trade. I have no idea if / when / where those forces are, but that's my logic in any case.
Black Lives Matter*

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Aha. I tend to try to keep a 50-50 mix, hitting new countries regularly.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Since I posted late Thursday night, we gained a few :ninja: members and donated $150. Nice job. Starting to get close to :think: our 100th loan as a :binky: team. :clap:

:horse:

:dance:

* - New emoticons are le fun.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Getting really close to our 100th team loan now (96 currently). Perhaps consider spreading some holiday cheer if the year has been good to you.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think I signed up... I have an account with Kiva at any rate. It says I'm still pending addition to the team.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just added you.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Dang. You are fast. Guess it's time to go figure this out.

I'd been meaning to join for a while. So of course the wife joins right up and shames me. Damn her. 8-)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I may have missed out on the bonus for joining. It was a little unclear on what I was supposed to click. But at least I'm part of the group.

Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If you have a bonus available, it should display near the top right of the page near your account info links.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I don't see anything. No credit listed. I think that I clicked away from the invite without realizing it and just ended up creating a new account.

Black Lives Matter

JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

"Neither a borrower or lender be"

Someone somewhere said that once. :lol:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix wrote:I don't see anything. No credit listed. I think that I clicked away from the invite without realizing it and just ended up creating a new account.
Interesting, as I do have a credit which implies that you joined successfully via my link.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I can live with that. :D

Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The International Bank of Bob is one of the Kindle Daily Deals today. I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list and should give an fuller perspective on the work Kiva does.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kiva is doing a one-day promotion where most loans made today will be doubled by Mr. Burns a rich benefactor. Look for the x2 icon when making a loan.

When I went to make one today, I checked out our team's stats. We continue to impress me. We just recently passed $4k lent--it took us 11 months to go from $0 to $1k, 6 months from $1k to $2k, 5 months to $3k and 4 months to $4k. Nice work.

Main Kiva link, and an invite link for folks that want to join us but aren't yet members.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Aaannnd Kiva's doing another benefactor-backed $25 loan deal for new accounts. The OO team is about to hit $5k loaned. If any of you have seen this thread in the past and been interested but passed, you can join us now and put up $0 of your own cash.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Which reminds me, do you tend to re-loan as soon as you get $25 back? Just wondering. I'm actually approaching $50 repaid. So I've been thinking that it's time to pick out some new loans.

Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix wrote:Which reminds me, do you tend to re-loan as soon as you get $25 back? Just wondering. I'm actually approaching $50 repaid. So I've been thinking that it's time to pick out some new loans.
I tend to re-loan once I've got $20 repaid into my account. That way I slowly keep building my overall pool in a painless way. You can actually set your preferences to automatically re-loan if you want.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Huh. I'll have to look into that. I thought the default was $25. I didn't even know that smaller loans were an option.

Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix wrote:Huh. I'll have to look into that. I thought the default was $25. I didn't even know that smaller loans were an option.
They're not. I should have been clearer--I mean when I get to $20, I add $5 and make a loan. Keeps my contributions in the 'did this rather than Starbucks' range.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:Kiva is doing a one-day promotion where most loans made today will be doubled by Mr. Burns a rich benefactor. Look for the x2 icon when making a loan.

When I went to make one today, I checked out our team's stats. We continue to impress me. We just recently passed $4k lent--it took us 11 months to go from $0 to $1k, 6 months from $1k to $2k, 5 months to $3k and 4 months to $4k. Nice work.

Main Kiva link, and an invite link for folks that want to join us but aren't yet members.
Another benefactor day. Also, we just hit $5k, meaning our 4 months/$1k rate held for another thousand bucks.

2 loans per week for our team--not bad.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zaxxon wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Kiva is doing a one-day promotion where most loans made today will be doubled by Mr. Burns a rich benefactor. Look for the x2 icon when making a loan.

Another benefactor day. Also, we just hit $5k, meaning our 4 months/$1k rate held for another thousand bucks.

2 loans per week for our team--not bad.

you should post an update on the messages page - OO team is now at $5,800 loaned.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice. I got a glut of repayments today and made 2 more loans.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Y'all are awesome. :wub:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Not sure how I missed this but I am in.

Just joined, waiting on approval.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Approved. Welcome!
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Black Lives Matter*

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Most loans listed on Kiva have a disbursed date so you can see if the funds have already been given to the applicant. They explain how post-disbursed loans are handled below. I'm okay with this.

---------------

What is the disbursed date?

Loan disbursal can happen anywhere from 30 days before to 90 days after the loan is posted on the Kiva website. The disbursed date indicates the date that the borrower receives their loan funds from the Field Partner.

Many of Kiva's Field Partners choose to disburse loan funds before the loan request is posted on Kiva. We allow pre-disbursal because it ensures that the funds reach the borrower as soon as they are needed. Loan funds from Kiva lenders then go to backfill that amount and as a lender you assume the risk of the loan. By doing this, our Field Partners assume the risk that, if the loan isn't funded by Kiva lenders, the Field Partner has to fund the loan without any funds from Kiva lenders.

If a loan is not pre-disbursed, it will be listed on Kiva with an expected "post-disbursed" date. If a post-disbursed loan is not funded on Kiva, there is a chance that the borrower may not receive their loan. Some Kiva Field Partners choose to disburse loans with other sources of funding, while other partners do not have the resources available to fund loans without Kiva lenders' support.
Black Lives Matter*