Military Tech / Science

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Military Tech / Science

Post by Holman »

Tech marches on, though. Flying F-14s in 2030 would be a huge disadvantage against whatever 5th-generation fighters the Chinese et al will be using using.

This is less of an issue with the A-10, at least wrt its mission against insurgents right now, but still...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We will have the prop replacements ready to go by then.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AIM-260
Brig. Gen. Anthony Genatempo, Air Force Weapons Program Executive Officer, announced on June 20, 2019, that Lockheed Martin is developing a new long-range air-to-air missile to replace the AIM-120 AMRAAM and counter the threat posed by the Chinese PL-15 missile.

The announcement was made in interviews with Air Force Magazine and Aerospace Daily during the Life Cycle Industry Days, held at the Dayton Convention Center in Ohio from June 19 to June 21. The AIM-260, also called Joint Advanced Tactical Missile, has been in development for at least two years, after a rapid acquisition project was initiated by Air Force and Navy in 2017 to avoid foreign threats being able to outrange the AIM-120.

Few technical details are known at this time. The new missile will be compatible with the AMRAAM (Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile) dimensions, but with greater range, and is planned to be carried in the F-22 weapons bay and on the F/A-18 at first, with the F-35 to follow. Gen. Genatempo also noted that the missile will not use ramjet propulsion, unlike the Meteor BVRAAM (Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile) operational on Eurofighters and Gripens.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:51 pm Good. Getting rid of the A-10 is stupid. Its needed and it works and its cheap.

As for the earplugs its a shame a secondary device like a phone is needed. Its too bad they cant verbally tell you a compass directing or something.
Then need the processing power of the phone. They couldn't fit the electronics in just earbuds.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

A-10's main "problem" is it's way too slow. This limits its sortie rate, deployment range, etc. You can help it by setting up FARPs closer to the front-line, but that's not always possible. It's GREAT for what it does.

IMHO, they should turn A-10 into drones, with NOE autopilot and automated attack sequences.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:00 amIMHO, they should turn A-10 into drones, with NOE autopilot and automated attack sequences.
My little consumer drone has a 5-mile range and can circle a target of my choosing. If an A-10 was turned into a drone that could circle a target while a Gatling gun on a gimbal also tracked the target, it'd be horrifyingly effective.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's not a drone yet, but that's what the AC-130 is for.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:37 am It's not a drone yet, but that's what the AC-130 is for.
And except for the howitzer, AC-130's guns are MOSTLY automated. Wouldn't be too hard to reduce the crew, IMHO, if you start with a blank slate. Most of the crew in the back do feed the guns, but it can't be too hard to create robots that can do the same?

I wonder if it's possible to create LIMITED tracer, i.e. a tracer bullet that doesn't "light up" UNTIL it's traveled most of the way to target?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

UV tracers - only visible if you're wearing night-vision. Wouldn't be all that beneficial vs a technologically advanced enemy, but would make return fire a little more difficult.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Bakhtosh wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:52 pm UV tracers - only visible if you're wearing night-vision. Wouldn't be all that beneficial vs a technologically advanced enemy, but would make return fire a little more difficult.
Next-generation MANPADs will probably have local or networked radar anyway, so being able to eyeball the air target becomes irrelevant.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AC-130J Ghostrider
The AC-130J Ghostrider gunship flew its first combat mission in Afghanistan in late June, deploying to relieve the AC-130U Spooky aircraft following the latter's final combat sorties, an Air Force Special Operations Command spokesman confirmed to The War Zone on Wednesday.

According to the Northwest Florida Daily News, which first reported the news of the combat deployment, the mission took place "just days before" the June 28 change of command ceremony for new AFSOC commander Air Force Lt. Gen. James Slife at Hurlburt Field in Florida.
Described by AFSOC officials as "the ultimate battle plane" and "a bomb truck with guns on it," the Ghostrider comes with the standard 105mm cannon and an additional 30mm GAU-23/A cannon, along with wing pylons designed for both GBU-39/B Small Diameter Bombs and AGM-114 Hellfire missiles.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:37 am It's not a drone yet, but that's what the AC-130 is for.
I have the suspicion that the reason to remove humans from the cockpit is to get around the sticky situation of humans disregarding unlawful orders. Particularly in regard to our own civilian population. :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Interesting article on the A-10 and the AF's evolving attitude towards it.
A major reason for the air force leaders’ change of attitude towards the A-10 was a 2017 survey of Marine, Army, and Air Force JTACs (Joint Terminal Attack Controllers) and JFOs (Joint Fires Observers) which showed an overwhelming preference for the A-10. JTAC and JFO teams are trained to call in air strikes and most of these teams contain a fighter pilot. At the same time, these teams work directly with ground forces and are well aware of what kind of air support the ground troops find most useful. Ground controllers mostly (48 percent) preferred the A-10. The next most popular aircraft (which 13 percent preferred) was the AC-130 gunships. While the AC-130 was, and is in no danger of elimination (it is an armed C-130 transport used mainly by SOCOM) the A-10 was. Yet the air force leaders insisted jet fighters (like the F-16, F-15, F-18 and F-35) could replace the A-10. Yet these fighters are preferred by only 14 percent of JTACs. The AV-8B vertical takeoff jet is preferred by only four percent. Armed helicopters are preferred by 11 percent and armed UAVs by nine percent.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Until drones can carry a huge cannon and look scary (like an A-10), there will be a need for A-10s. And drones won't get guns due to control lag. They'll only get guided weaponry, until AI gets good enough so you can designate an area on the ground and have the drone auto-attack the area.

The high-speed fighters are just too fast to fly slow and low for precision CAS work. Harriers don't carry enough ordnance nor does it have the intimidation factor of an A-10. Even an A-10 diving on a target and not firing is often enough to scare enemies off.
morlac

Post by morlac »

em2nought wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:32 am
I have the suspicion that the reason to remove humans from the cockpit is to get around the sticky situation of humans disregarding unlawful orders. Particularly in regard to our own civilian population. :think:
Humans still fly armed drones. Orders can still not be followed. Orders can always not be followed unless/until we have a fully automated military that can think and deploy on it's own. Until then, somebody somewhere at min. presses a button of their own free will.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jets and big planes are cool, but the A-10 looks like a flying can of whoop-ass.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Drive: The SR-71 Blackbird's Predecessor Created "Plasma Stealth" By Burning Cesium-Laced Fuel
Skunk Works needed a way to hide the A-12's radar reflecting behind, so they dumped cesium into its fuel to create a radar-absorbing exhaust plume.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So now 2 of the Japanese WW2 aircraft carrier from the Battle of Midway have been found.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/21/world/ja ... index.html

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Textron Ripper unmanned tank system

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Like it. Wish they made it a little smaller though. It just looks like a baby Bradley.

Which brings up a very intriguing idea... What if you have a Scout Bradley with a slew of aerial drones AND two operators in the back controlling two of these? Add some Claymores all around as anti-RPG and anti-personnel, triggered automatically by military equivalent of Tesla's "sentry mode", and maybe a mini Metalstorm mortar/grenade launcher with preloaded rounds for non-LOS firepower, and some VLS anti-armor missiles for top-attack if it sees something it can't handle with the cannon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pretty small already. If control is lost it would be even easier to tow or take away by the enemy.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:52 pm Pretty small already. If control is lost it would be even easier to tow or take away by the enemy.
Bah, there is obviously some AI onboard that has a "return home" protocol if control was lost.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I laughed way too much at that one. Much better than the first one. I kinda wish he'd shot them though...maybe just the leg but at least a little :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's the end of an era: US nuclear weapons no longer use floppy disks.
The United States’ nuclear arsenal will no longer rely on a computer system that uses eight-inch floppy disks, in an update the Defense Department has cast as a step into the future but which some observers might be surprised to learn was required at all.
the Strategic Automated Command and Control System ran on an IBM Series/1 computer — a piece of hardware that dates to the 1970s — and used eight-inch floppy disks to manage weapons like intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft.
a “60 Minutes” report from 2014 pointed out a perhaps unexpected upside of relying on such old technology. Because the systems are not connected to the internet, they are exceptionally secure: Hackers can’t break into a floppy disk.
“A big industrial machine that is designed to last 30, 40 or 50 years and in fact does last 30, 40 or 50 years — do you throw it away because there is a new way to get information onto the machine?” he said. “The question is, What is the cost of using the floppy disk as opposed to the cost of transitioning to something else like a USB drive or linking to the internet?”

That said, floppy disks have some advantages over other methods of information transfer, like a Wi-Fi link or a flash drive, Mr. Persky said.

“We have an old technology that is not easily hackable, that is not expensive, that is extremely well understood, it is extremely stable, and as long as the bits of information you are trying to get into a machine are small, a floppy disk is a perfectly good and O.K. thing to use,” he said. “Is it going to be O.K. to use in five or 10 or 15 years? I don’t know.”
And now we might never know.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And he said all that while looking for a 8" floppy drive to play it all on.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hey I've got a quick military question. I'll use this thread.

What's it mean when a serving (US Army) officer wears more than one divisional patch? For some reason I've come across a couple of pics lately that show this, for instance someone with the 1st Cav patch on his left shoulder and the 2nd Infantry Division on his right.

I suppose this is related to when you sometimes see a high-level officer (like, Joint Chiefs level) still wearing a 101st Airborne patch when they are well above the rank of whoever commands that division now. What's that mean?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki
A shoulder sleeve insignia (often abbreviated SSI), is an embroidered patch worn on some uniforms of the United States Army. It is used by major formations of the U.S. Army; each formation has a unique formation patch. The U.S. Army is unique among the U.S. Armed Forces in that all soldiers are required to wear the patch of their headquarters as part of their military uniforms.
Shoulder sleeve insignia receive their name from the fact that they are most commonly worn on the upper left sleeve of the Army Combat Uniform ... Shoulder sleeve insignia worn on the upper right sleeve of Army uniforms denote former wartime service.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:54 am Wiki
A shoulder sleeve insignia (often abbreviated SSI), is an embroidered patch worn on some uniforms of the United States Army. It is used by major formations of the U.S. Army; each formation has a unique formation patch. The U.S. Army is unique among the U.S. Armed Forces in that all soldiers are required to wear the patch of their headquarters as part of their military uniforms.
Shoulder sleeve insignia receive their name from the fact that they are most commonly worn on the upper left sleeve of the Army Combat Uniform ... Shoulder sleeve insignia worn on the upper right sleeve of Army uniforms denote former wartime service.
Ah. So having 2nd Inf Div on the right shoulder means you fought in it in the past, and having 1st Cav on your left shoulder means you're part of it now?

Just wondering.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yes.

Wearing their wartime service on their sleeve: MND-B troopers don First Team combat patch

CAMP LIBERTY, Iraq - A former commanding general for the 1st Cavalry Division, Gen. Peter W. Chiarelli who now serves as the Vice Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army, once said that wearing the 1st Cavalry Division "First Team" patch "changes its wearers to some extent, making them walk a little prouder and talk a little louder because of the pride they feel for their unit."

With this description as an underlying theme, approximately 80 Soldiers from the Division Special Troops Battalion, 1st Cav. Div., Multi-National Division-Baghdad along with troops from an attached unit, the 211th Public Affairs Detachment, donned the division's combat patch on their right sleeve for the very first time during a patch ceremony here March 10.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

USS Grayback, submarine missing for 75 years, found off Japan

A U.S. Navy submarine missing for 75 years has been found off Okinawa, Japan. The USS Grayback sailed out of Pearl Harbor on Jan. 28, 1944 for its 10th combat patrol. Two months later, it was listed as missing and presumed lost. 1,400 feet down.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

War is Boring
The bladed Hellfire missiles of our nightmare struck again, this time hitting a minivan in northwestern Syria.

The attack appeared to utilize the AGM-114R9X, a variant of the Hellfire missile that uses four giant blades to take out its targets with laser-pinpoint accuracy, thus cutting down on collateral damage.

The strike is said to have taken place in Atmeh, which is situated in Syria’s Idlib province and is less than five miles away from the Turkish border.

Two individuals are reported to have been killed, with one believed to have ties to the Al Qaeda spinoff group Hayat Tahrir Al Sham (HTS).

Chatter from HTS WhatsApp groups claim the person killed is Abu Ahmad al-Muhajir, a foreign trainer of the elite force of the HTS, “The Red Bands”
R9Xs appear to be used in cases where high-value targets often hide in collateral damage-prone areas, such as when one was used against Abu Khayr Al Masri, then Al Qaeda’s number two leader, as he drove his car around the Syrian city of Al Mastouma in 2017.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:31 pm USS Grayback, submarine missing for 75 years, found off Japan
PopMech
U.S. Navy officials only found out the cause of Grayback’s sinking after the war, when translated Japanese wartime records noted a Nakajima B5N “Kate” bomber attacked a surfaced enemy submarine with a 500-pound bomb. The stricken submarine was then bombarded with depth charges. Unfortunately, according to The New York Times, a single digit error in the grid coordinates of the Navy’s translation resulted in the Navy believing she was actually a hundred miles away from her true location.

An amateur Japanese historian and researcher, Yutaka Iwasaki, was examining the Japanese Navy’s wartime records and realized the coordinates of the sinking were incorrect. Iwasaki’s research was brought to the attention of underwater Tim Taylor, whose Lost 52 Project plans to locate the remains of every one of the 52 U.S. Navy submarines lost during World War II. Although the U.S. Pacific Fleet submarine force was spectacularly effective in depriving Japan from food, oil, and other resources, the loss of 52 submarines and 3,505 submariners was the highest among all the services, amounting to 22 percent of all submarine force personnel.
Grayback was found in two pieces on the bottom of the ocean, with the front end broken off from the rest of the submarine and a large hole in the stern. These locations roughly correspond to the front and rear torpedo rooms. A Tambor-class submarine held 24 Mark 14 torpedoes, each packing 507 pounds of TNT. The forward section appears to have sustained a larger explosion, large enough to break the ship into two pieces, and indeed the forward torpedo room held more torpedoes than the rear torpedo room.

The sonar image of Grayback also shows serious damage behind the submarine’s sail. This was the location of the 76-millimeter (3-inch) deck gun, which was blown off by the Japanese aerial bomb. Explorers located the deck gun 400 feet from the submarine.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

xwraith wrote: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:20 pm Here is something retro:

Chuck Yeager sells the F-20
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:24 pm War is Boring
PD-50, a huge floating dry dock at the 82nd Repair Shipyard in Roslyakovo, Russia, accidentally sank on Oct. 29, 2018 while Admiral Kuznetsov, Russia’s only aircraft carrier, was inside for repairs. Kuznetsov is still afloat but the dry dock could be a total loss.
Aviationist
A blaze has broken out aboard Russian Navy’s only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, that is currently at the Barents Sea port of Murmansk for repair works. According to the latest reports by RT.com six people have reportedly been injured, two sailors and one worker are listed as missing, as fuel is still burning aboard the ship.

The blaze was sparked by welding, after which the fire spread to a space of 600 square meters an emergency services source told TASS news agency.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember a few years ago when they got it running again and tried to go to different places it wasn't welcome as it leaked fuel and all kinda of crap.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:42 pmWar is Boring
The bladed Hellfire missiles
Are they curved or straight?
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:20 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:42 pmWar is Boring
The bladed Hellfire missiles
Are they curved or straight?
Straight, supposedly.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

France's newest warship is pretty cool looking, and incorporates state-of-the-art surrender technology.