[Car Question] Anyone here a Porsche Cayenne Owner?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Crabbs

[Car Question] Anyone here a Porsche Cayenne Owner?

Post by Crabbs »

My '97 Passat TDI 200K miles is starting to nickel and dime (well $250 to $500) us every couple of months, every time I take it in I'm afraid it's going to be 'the big one' like Clutch, Engine, etc. We also are looking to move into something bigger mid-sized SUV for easier baby transport and road trips. We went test driving last night, started out with a 2005 Volvo XC90 and loved it but the repair histories on the 2005' are very spotty. Sitting right next to the Volvo was a 2005 Porsche Cayenne with 68K miles. We took it out just for shit's and giggles but ended up falling in love. It handles like a charm, has decent pep (for a V6), nice hatchback space, comfortable 5 person seating. It's not great on gas mileage. 17 city / 22 highway. Luckily neither of us commute to work, it'd be for road trips and shopping. I can't find any real negatives online, besides the higher expected maintenance costs for an import (Porsche- even though it's a VW Chassis).

Anyone here have any experience with these positive or negative?
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
geezer

Re: [Car Question] Anyone here a Porsche Cayenne Owner?

Post by geezer »

I've had one as a loaner before, and was somewhat unimpressed with the interior quality, but if you dig it, the car drives just fine. I might suggest looking at a VW Toureag - same chassis (as you know), VW interior (less sporty, but maybe a bit nicer), and most importantly, probably better on price for essentially the same car.

My go-to recommendation for a premium SUV is a certified Land Rover LR3 though. Yeah, about 16 people are going to jump in with reliability stories and the fact that a Land Rover killed their dog because a bumper fell off and then the car spontaneously combusted, but prices are rock bottom because of those perceptions, certified means you're covered by the warranty, and there's absolutely nothing those cars can't do. Carry 7 people? yep. Fold the back completely flat and carry a mattress? yep. Tow 7700 lbs? Check.

An Acura MDX is another value proposition, though I've heard that interior quality isn't holding up these days, and then there's the 4 door wrangler unlimited if you want something to beat the hell out of.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

I guess it also has to be taken into consideration what we're comparing our driving experience to:

1) '97 Passat TDI great mileage but tends to rattle your teeth at an idle now - suspect bad motor mount(s), Missing cloth headliner from the humidity/temperature extremes in Michigan, still handles well, but not what I'd classify as a cushy ride.

2) 1987 GMC Sierra Pick-up (aka The Beater) need I say more

3) 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix (The Mrs' Car) Nice car but drives too much like a boat for me. Great shape, decent handling, comfortable, but not luxurious by any means. Also a 2 door, not car-seat friendly at all.

So needless to say we were charmed by the vehicle all around. Trying to haggle on price right now, couple things we'd like done or $$ taken off the sale price to get them sorted.

Biggest 'problem' is that the Mrs really fell for this car.... now how can I say no :) -- not that I'm fighting it that much.

PS: Had no clue Land Rovers could be had for so 'cheap." Similar to what we'd be paying for this, too bad there isn't one closer than 75 miles to test drive, when the cayenne is 2 miles away.
- Bertrand Russell -

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
geezer

Post by geezer »

Nothing wrong with the cayenne at all. Its probably the best driving suv out there :).
Crabbs wrote:I guess it also has to be taken into consideration what we're comparing our driving experience to:

1) '97 Passat TDI great mileage but tends to rattle your teeth at an idle now - suspect bad motor mount(s), Missing cloth headliner from the humidity/temperature extremes in Michigan, still handles well, but not what I'd classify as a cushy ride.

2) 1987 GMC Sierra Pick-up (aka The Beater) need I say more

3) 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix (The Mrs' Car) Nice car but drives too much like a boat for me. Great shape, decent handling, comfortable, but not luxurious by any means. Also a 2 door, not car-seat friendly at all.

So needless to say we were charmed by the vehicle all around. Trying to haggle on price right now, couple things we'd like done or $$ taken off the sale price to get them sorted.

Biggest 'problem' is that the Mrs really fell for this car.... now how can I say no :) -- not that I'm fighting it that much.

PS: Had no clue Land Rovers could be had for so 'cheap." Similar to what we'd be paying for this, too bad there isn't one closer than 75 miles to test drive, when the cayenne is 2 miles away.
DD*

Post by DD* »

The LR is nice but will friggin' bankrupt you at the pump. It's big, heavy, and has full time four-wheel drive. That being said, I still lust for one.

Before I'd sign the check on that Porsche, I'd do some serious looking at what normal maintenance is going to cost. It might come as something of a surprise the first time the dealer wants $100 for an oil change and $300 to swap out spark plugs. "Higher maintenance because it's an import" does not mean VW service costs = Porsche service costs - some due diligence might be prudent.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Just don't get the Panamera. Saw one last weekend and god that thing is ugly.
Enlarge Image
In truth though I have an old friend who has a Cayenne and loves it. At least that's what he says on Facebook, I don't really talk to him :).

This has been another useless post by cheeba.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

For what it's worth, where I live there's an awesome Thai restaurant, and the proprietor of said restaurant owns one. He seems happy.

/trying to 1-up cheeba
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

We pulled the trigger last night. Managed to get get it at $1500 under Book value, including a 2 year/25,000 mile warranty covering everything except normal wear and tear.

Felt very sad leaving my Passat at the dealership, it's seen me through 100K miles w/o any major issues and awesome mileage.

I'll get some pics later today and post them. It's really in excellent shape, one previous owner, fully maintained, some interior defects (can tell they had a dog -- chew marks on a couple places -- but otherwise cosmetically perfect. I'd never guess it was a 2005. Hopefully I don't suffer any buyers remorse soon :)
- Bertrand Russell -

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Congrats! Nothing like new car time.
Crabbs wrote:Felt very sad leaving my Passat at the dealership, it's seen me through 100K miles w/o any major issues and awesome mileage.
I bought a new car last year and traded in my 96 Acura Integra, which I'd driven for 14 years and every single one of its 198,000 miles. It felt really weird driving off the lot in my new car and leaving that car behind. I can't think of many material things I get attached to, but a nice dependable car is definitely one of them.
geezer

Post by geezer »

That's the worst picture of a Panamera I've ever seen ;)
In person they have some presence, and it's about the nicest interior I've ever seen. Plus they can tow 6000 lbs. I'd drive one in black :)

'Grats on the Pepper, Crabbs. I think you'll love it :)
cheeba wrote:Just don't get the Panamera. Saw one last weekend and god that thing is ugly.
Enlarge Image
In truth though I have an old friend who has a Cayenne and loves it. At least that's what he says on Facebook, I don't really talk to him :).

This has been another useless post by cheeba.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

geezer wrote:IMy go-to recommendation for a premium SUV is a certified Land Rover LR3 though.

there's absolutely nothing those cars can't do.
What about get more than 20 MPG? :wink:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Exodor wrote:
geezer wrote:IMy go-to recommendation for a premium SUV is a certified Land Rover LR3 though.

We love our Rx400h.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Exodor wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiAbcw5s9_8" target="_blank
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
geezer

Post by geezer »

Exodor wrote:

Downhill, with a tailwind? No problem. :horse:

Edit: Or like in Meal's video.
Last edited by geezer on Thu May 12, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Pyperkub wrote:
Exodor wrote:

We love our Rx400h.
Had one of those for awhile - it's a great great urban SUV.