Smart phones for stupid people

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Smart phones for stupid people

Post by Kraken »

My Galaxy S4 is coming up on three years old and its battery is starting to wear out. I looked at replacements on the amazon and was delighted to find many options at low low prices. Then I spent a long time reading reviews and learned that all or most are refurbs or knockoffs or lack the short-range antenna; they all get crappy reviews for one reason or another.

Does anybody know a trustworthy source for discount phone batteries? Verizon wants $40 and is out of stock; samsung apparently doesn't support the s4 anymore. This factory outlet site is tempting but I can't tell if it's legit.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Amazon is your friend, you should be able to find a Samsung one for around $10,tho I haven't checked
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah, check Anker. Never had issue with them.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pyperkub wrote:Amazon is your friend, you should be able to find a Samsung one for around $10,tho I haven't checked
There are at least a dozen sellers in the $5-12 range, and all of them have bad reviews. Apparently "OEM" is meaningless and they're all clones. Doesn't matter how cheap it is if it's worse than the one I'm replacing or it's going to die in a few months or even melt down and kill my phone, as way too many reviews say.

I couldn't find a real OEM at any price, though, so I may end up taking a chance on amazon after all. All of them have good reviews as well, so maybe it's just a crapshoot on very uneven quality.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Every once in a while you can find the Samsung devices cheap on Woot, which is now a part of Amazon.

I think Amazon also has a certified preowned / refurbished devices section nowadays.

Personally, Go Swappa.com
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

despite working in the mobile phone software development industry since 2005, i have personally never paid for a mobile phone plan or phone. i've somehow managed to borrow mobiles from work for most of this time (starting with a Danger/Sharp Sidekick II) and since 2012 have had a constant 'test' phone from the job that i was able to use. because i am currently no longer in that line of work, i probably need to join the rest of the hoards in owning a mobile communications device (that is not a HAM radio... i do like my Baofeng UV-82HP). you might not believe the incredulity i hear from people when i say i only have a landline phone... i can send SMSes from Google Voice and slowly view web pages on the go with my 3G Kindle, you know! but anyways:

i have a pile of old BlackBerrys and some Android 3.x devices (all on various carriers or unlocked) that were destined for the recycle bin, so i thought i didn't really need* a new phone, but there are some vulnerabilities in the old OSes that aren't patched. i'm going to look at FreedomPop or Republic Wireless, i think. i don't need phone advice as i am well versed on various manufacturers, makes and models, but if people have suggestions for cheap plans, i am listening.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FreedomPop, Republic, or Ting, even T-Mob. I need to call Verizon and reduce my plan. I am paying a premium for my unlimited data plan that I don't seem to ever use. :-P
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My Galaxy S4 shows signs of giving up the ghost. It's running hot, the battery life is poor, and today it spontaneously shut itself off (probably heat). I've already replaced the battery once, and could probably flog it for a couple more years if I do so again (batteries are cheap)...but it's over five years old, so maybe it's time for an upgrade. I had wanted to keep it going until the 5G phones hit the market.

Anybody have experience with Pixels? I have read several glowing reviews of the new Pixel 3A; reviewers are especially taken with its camera. Verizon's upgrade price is $350 if paid over two years. The 3A XL is $430. For comparison, a Galaxy S9 is $600 and the various S10s are in the $900 range. (Wife has an S9 and wants me to get the same phone for tech support reasons.)

I only use my phone to text, play music, track my walks, run Waze, and do some lightweight web lookups. Oh, and the occasional phone call and picture-taking. Kinda hard to justify spending $900 when I could get all of that for half the price. Battery life and ample storage are selling points -- my S4's 32GB sim card is full of MP3s, and I want enough room to keep adding more -- and a headphone jack is mandatory. The 3A has 64GB and apparently no sim card slot; looks like the S9 can take a microSD. Also, the 3A is not waterproof and the S9 is, but in the 5+ years I've had my S4 I've never gotten it wet, so that's not a deal-breaker. Replaceable battery would be a selling point, too, but I don't think either phone offers that. I don't care about wireless charging.

My tentative conclusion is that the S9's extra storage is appealing, but of course adding a sim card would cost extra money, so I don't know if extra storage is worth more than double the price of the Pixel. What says the hive? Put another battery in the S4 and keep it going until the 5G phones are out...replace it with the S9...replace it with the Pixel...or other?

(edit to add) I intend to keep the next phone for 5-ish years, too, so some future-proofing is a consideration. Is the S10 really $300 better than the S9?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'd also look at the OnePlus 6t - A friend of mine picked one up and it's really nice. I think it's basically the same price range as the Pixels.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gbasden wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 am I'd also look at the OnePlus 6t - A friend of mine picked one up and it's really nice. I think it's basically the same price range as the Pixels.
Not seeing that in the Verizon store.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I was a big supporter of the Google phones, 6P and Pixels and honestly, I personally only had problems with them.

I've had the Galaxy S9 for over a year and it's been amazing. I'm skipping the S10 and might look up upgrade for the S11 in the future. My wife has been plugging along with a Motorola phone for 4 years and I just got her a S9 last week and she's over joyed with it.

I personally can't recommend anything other than Galaxy phones right now.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When we had S5s, batteries were still replaceable and we actually each had several of the since they were so cheap - between the two of us I bet we had 8 batteries.

There's another option - go with a less-than-premium phone for the interim, that way you're laying out a boatload of cash for something that will seem obsolete when 5G hits. I still have an S7, my wife smashed hers a month ago and asked that I not spend the money on another flagship phone (we've had the S7 since they were king of the world). I got her an A7, which cost $350 and the saleschimp said it is better than the S7 in every way. It's a little longer, which irritated my wife since it doesn't fit into an otherwise phone-sized purse she likes to use, but otherwise she likes it just fine.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

How much do you know about 5G technology? I ask because I'm not sure you would ever see any benefit from it, the rollout is likely to be only to large cities, and it is likely to be quite expensive to get in a phone for several years.

I have a Pixel 2 and use Project Fi. I love it. I love the unbloated Android experience and getting updates as soon as they are available. I have three people who signed up through me and they all have similar experiences/enjoyment. It comes with free cloud storage - I'm not sure if it's only for pictures or files as well. You might want to investigate as you could put your music in the cloud and only keep a smaller amount on board as you need it.

In contrast, my brother got a Pixel 3 (not the new 3A) and hated it. There is a problem where he can hear the person he is calling, but they can't hear him. It is unclear is this is a device or carrier issue (although there are a number of search of similar problems).

You should also check out the One Plus 7 Pro (arstechnica review). The price and storage size might be appealing for you.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've got one of the original Pixel devices, and have only minor issues. I love it, and have no qualms whatsoever with Android. I used to have an iPhone but hated the feeling of tendrils from Apple reaching out to me. I know Google isn't any better, but at least they're quiet about it and I don't get prompted to install their software.

The issue I have with my phone is a slightly loose USB-C port on the bottom, and it's only an issue when I connect the phone to my drone's controller. Sometimes the video cuts out and I have to be aware of the connection, occasionally clicking it back in .5mm every now and then.

I don't think 5G or any number of higher G's will make me trade up my phone until it goes completely limp.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

true '5G' is not going to be widely available for years yet. also you could keep limping along with your S4, but the OS is out of date and you're not getting security updates for it anymore (my prime consideration now when dealing with Apple and Google OSes) unless you replace with a modified OS - a process i don't believe the Kraken is up for...

i got my son a Nokia 6.1 on sale for $180 and it's well made and has the features you're looking for, and it's on the 'Android One' program ( https://www.android.com/one/ ) which means it has the 'no bloatware' of the Google phone line and guaranteed OS updates for two years.

i'm still on a secondhand iPhone 5S since it still gets security updates from Apple. as soon as that's not the case i'm bailing for something else.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Xmann wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 am I was a big supporter of the Google phones, 6P and Pixels and honestly, I personally only had problems with them.

I've had the Galaxy S9 for over a year and it's been amazing. I'm skipping the S10 and might look up upgrade for the S11 in the future. My wife has been plugging along with a Motorola phone for 4 years and I just got her a S9 last week and she's over joyed with it.

I personally can't recommend anything other than Galaxy phones right now.
Wife is lobbying for me to get the S9 so that we both have the same phone again; since my S4 is the only other smartphone I've ever owned, I do lean toward sticking with Samsung.
stessier wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 pm How much do you know about 5G technology? I ask because I'm not sure you would ever see any benefit from it, the rollout is likely to be only to large cities, and it is likely to be quite expensive to get in a phone for several years.

You should also check out the One Plus 7 Pro (arstechnica review). The price and storage size might be appealing for you.
I know that 5G is one more than 4G, and Boston is among the early rollout cities. I have also heard that the early 5G phones have trouble with barriers (because they use microwaves?). I don't use my phone for watching movies or gaming, so I won't feel pressured to be an early 5G adopter.

Verizon doesn't sell One Plus and we are married to Verizon forever, for some reason. Wife becomes agitated whenever I question that.
Jeff V wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:47 pm There's another option - go with a less-than-premium phone for the interim, that way you're laying out a boatload of cash for something that will seem obsolete when 5G hits. I still have an S7, my wife smashed hers a month ago and asked that I not spend the money on another flagship phone (we've had the S7 since they were king of the world). I got her an A7, which cost $350 and the saleschimp said it is better than the S7 in every way. It's a little longer, which irritated my wife since it doesn't fit into an otherwise phone-sized purse she likes to use, but otherwise she likes it just fine.
Next time I look at Verizon's store I'll see if they have the A line. I know I saw some Js there. I guess I need to decide if this will be my phone for another 5-6 years (in which case I'd want the best I can afford) or if it will just be a bridge for a couple of years. If it's the latter, I'll probably just spend $20 on a new battery for my S4. My only gripe about that is that it's out of storage -- I've got less than a gig left onboard and under 5 gig on the sim card.
Paingod wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:13 pm I don't think 5G or any number of higher G's will make me trade up my phone until it goes completely limp.
While I'm reluctant to buy a new phone that uses an obsolescing standard, I don't think 5G is going to be a big draw for me, either. I could wait until it is the well-established standard in a few years without FOMO.

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Last year, we got my MiL a J-model (3 I think?) at Boost Mobile, Sprint's bargain store. My wife actually said that would be fine for her needs, but the A7 was the cheapest at Sprint. I don't think we'd save any money dropping her from our Sprint account and setting up on Boost unless I did the same.

I'm sure the A7 has a much better camera. The J model was only about $125 IIRC.
Last edited by Jeff V on Thu May 16, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

also Verizon is the most expensive of all the carriers. if you really want to save money, getting away from them should be first priority.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's an S10e, which trims $150 off the total price of the S10. TechRadar has good things to say about it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:06 pm Verizon doesn't sell One Plus and we are married to Verizon forever, for some reason. Wife becomes agitated whenever I question that.
It doesn't sell the phone, but the phone works on their network. You'd have to buy it directly from OnePlus.

How to Buy article.
Unlocked (Verizon, AT&T and other carriers)
For everybody else, the OnePlus 7 Pro will be sold as OnePlus devices traditionally are — as an unlocked phone with support primarily for GSM carriers. That usually doesn't include Verizon and Sprint, which operate on the CDMA standard, though the OnePlus 7 Pro is, in fact, certified to work on Verizon's network. (More on that a little further down.)

The OnePlus 7 will also begin shipping from OnePlus' website on May 17, and you'll have three variants to choose from: a $669 device with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage; a $699 option that ups RAM and storage to 8GB and 256GB, respectively; and a range-topping model with 12GB RAM and 256GB storage for $749.

OnePlus has kicked off its own trade-in program for the launch of the 7 Pro. Customers will be able to exchange a wide variety of other phones, including all OnePlus devices, for up to $449 off the price of their new handset. Bear in mind, however, that newer devices will net more credit. A company called Phobio is being tasked with processing the trade-ins on OnePlus' behalf.

OnePlus 7 / OnePlus 7 Pro

As with the OnePlus 6T, you’ll be able to use the OnePlus 7 Pro on Verizon's network. However, because OnePlus devices don't support 2G or 3G over CDMA, you'll have to make sure Verizon routes all calls, messages and data traffic over LTE. Thankfully, this isn't too difficult to do, though you'll need the carrier's assistance. Simply contact Verizon, tell them you have a OnePlus phone and that it should be logged into their system as a "CDMA-less device," and you should be up and running in no time.
OnePlus site.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My tentative plan is to replace the battery in my S4 and keep it until the S10 drops in price.

That's not the conclusion I expected to reach, but it seems that the S10 really is a big advance over the S9 -- twice the storage, more RAM, faster CPU, bigger battery, and a smattering of other features (like a better fingerprint reader). So if I'm going to buy a phone to last 4-5 years, it's worth stretching for. By the time it wears out 5G will be standard and the kinks will be worked out and everybody will be going gaga over the S15. :)

What can you gents tell me about Samsung's product cycle? Should the S10 price start wobbling by this fall? I don't mind flogging my S4 through the rest of this year, if necessary.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

My mom asked me to look at her friend's phone because it doesn't ring. I went over and turned the phone on for the friend. It now rings. LMAO :roll:
two months
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:20 am
What can you gents tell me about Samsung's product cycle? Should the S10 price start wobbling by this fall? I don't mind flogging my S4 through the rest of this year, if necessary.
Check this out. Looks like the average 1 year price drop for Samsung phones is about $140.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, S6's can be had for about $100 on Swappa and should be a noticeable improvement over S4.

or you can step up to something like Moto X4, or G7 for about $150 or so, and enjoy turbocharging, modern OS (Android Pie or later) and USB-C.

Holding out for S10 may take a while. I am almost tempted to pay for a OnePlus 6 but I am happy with my current X4.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:44 am or you can step up to something like Moto X4, or G7 for about $150 or so,
Where exactly are you seeing the G7 for $150 or so?!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't want to buy a cheap interim phone. Ordered a $15 battery yesterday to keep my trusty S4 chugging along until the S10 price comes down. I don't care if that takes the better part of a year.

For those of you who buy high-end phones without replaceable batteries (which I guess is all of them now): What do you do when your battery wears out? Do they last so long that it isn't a concern? Can they be replaced by a store technician at a reasonable cost? Or do you just buy another phone?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Battery replacement was under $100 for Apple, which they then discounted once they got caught throttling the phones. As long as yours isn't hermetically sealed, battery replacement should be available in that range.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

JCC wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:44 am or you can step up to something like Moto X4, or G7 for about $150 or so,
Where exactly are you seeing the G7 for $150 or so?!
Kasey shops on Swappa :) They actually have used G7 starting at $100. Obviously, when you buy a used phone, you are stuck with whatever condition it comes in.

Woot has refurb S6 for $100 and S8 for $260 today. But again, you don't really know what kind of quality you are getting, since those are basically "as-is". I got my S5 from Woot 3 year ago, for $150. It's already on its 3rd battery, and the charging port barely worked from the get-go (I had to get a wireless charging adapter for it).
JCC

Post by JCC »

gilraen wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:50 am Kasey shops on Swappa :) They actually have used G7 starting at $100.
My bad, you did mention Swappa in your post!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'll sell you my good condition S6 (I have two of them, one of which I got off Swappa, the other had a front-face replaced, but not battery swapped) for $100. I'll even throw in one of the battery cases for free.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If one buys, say, a Galaxy S10 on Amazon, can one simply walk into Mord- erm, a Verizon store and say "Here, set this up for me?"

Been waiting forever for Verizon to put it on sale, and they keep not doing it. I would totally pay them $700 if I can just pick it up and start using it after a visit to the VS.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:02 am If one buys, say, a Galaxy S10 on Amazon, can one simply walk into Mord- erm, a Verizon store and say "Here, set this up for me?"

Been waiting forever for Verizon to put it on sale, and they keep not doing it. I would totally pay them $700 if I can just pick it up and start using it after a visit to the VS.
Are you currently on Verizon? Are you upgrading from another Samsung?

If yes to both, you probably don't need to go into the store at all. You can do it online or on the phone itself if you have wifi. You'll need your Verizon PIN, google and samsung login details, and the samsung smart switch app on both phones.

If you just want the help, the store can do that too. You'll need the same information, but they'll walk you through it. They usually have a USB C to micro USB cable which makes for faster transfers.

Regardless of method, they will charge you an activation fee.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks! Yes, I'm upgrading from an S4 that's already on Verizon. I'm really bad at phones so I'll take it to them. If they activate it, will they also install all the Verizon crapware?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:12 pm Thanks! Yes, I'm upgrading from an S4 that's already on Verizon. I'm really bad at phones so I'll take it to them. If they activate it, will they also install all the Verizon crapware?
The store doesn't install that, crapware is mostly factory installed (and often near impossible to remove).
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Make sure the S10 is not a GSM-only model which would make it NOT work with Verizon.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:31 pm Make sure the S10 is not a GSM-only model which would make it NOT work with Verizon.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/
How would I know that before buying the phone? "We'll need your device ID to see it's compatible with our network." That's...not helpful.

The Q&A section on Amazon has some complaints that it won't work on Verizon and some that say it does, but won't use Verizon apps like voicemail and texting. Guess I'd better pass. Still hoping Verizon will put it on sale this weekend.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

From what I remember, Verizon won't take just any phone, even if its LTE is pretty compatible. Something about its network safety or some BS.

Maybe look on Swappa?
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I got this email from Verizon today:
Verizon wrote:Get $300 off Samsung Galaxy S10.*

As powerful, intelligent and intuitive as you need it to be. Do more of what you love with a revolutionary camera and professional tools at your fingertips.

Use promo code UPGRADE at checkout.

*Up to $1,599.99 device payment purchase required. Less $300 promo credit applied to account over 24 mos.; promo credit ends if eligibility requirements are no longer met; 0% APR. Offer not transferable. To redeem promo on eligible device, enter promo code UPGRADE at checkout and discount will apply within cart
You can check to see if it will work for you.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yup, Wife got the same email, and even though Verizon meant for her to upgrade her S8 (which still isn't quite paid for), it looks like it will work for my S4. So I'll save $300, but only at the rate of $12/mo. They won't let you buy it outright for that price. Very likely going to get a new phone this weekend.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Best deal is Razer Phone 2 for $300. Not sure if it'll work on Verizon though.