Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: Random randomness

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:15 pm Nothing protects us (well, other than one is never held liable for any fraudulent charge) from bad acting vendors.
FWIW, there are services one can use that can certainly help.

For example, I use Abine's Blur service, which provides a masked phone number that forwards calls and messages to your actual phone number (and allows you to block/unblock any number from calling you with just a click), masked disposable private credit card numbers, and unlimited revocable anonymous spoof email addresses that forward to another email address. This puts the power back in your hands, so if/when a bad-acting vendor tries spamming you, you can block or delete the info you provided to that vendor, thereby preventing the bad-acting vendor (or whomever they may've sold your info to) from ever being able to reach you again. As long as you never give out your 'real' contact info, it's remarkably effective.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Shaq wrestled in a pro wrestling match tonight. It totally over delivered on what I was expecting. Especially the balls on Shaq to be willing to do this.

Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Octopus cousins are very smart too.

Cuttlefish show self-control, pass 'marshmallow test'
Cuttlefish can pass the "marshmallow test" — the famous psychological test of self-control.

In this case, the cephalopods were willing to forgo meals when they knew that waiting meant they would be rewarded with more delicious treats, according to a new study. That makes them the first known invertebrates to show the ability to exert self-control.
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been waiting on my property tax refund check for weeks. Thought it had come today but turns out it was a letter from them saying they lacked vital paperwork. Strange as the tax office I sat and answered all the question for it to the tax guy and him telling me that was all I needed didn't seem to think I lacked anything. $^%$# Also saying it must be returned in 30 days from date on letter or its a auto deny. Its dated Feb 26. So it took the damn letter 7 days to travel from a city 2 hours from me. Ive driven to that city multiple times.

So now I have to go to the social security office tomorrow and sit and sit and sit and SIT in that damn waiting room then go to the overcrowded post office. Sigh.

I sure hope that stimulus check gets here so I can refill my property tax fund Ive been diggin into to pay the power bills that the energy credit hasn't arrived for and is late and the tax refund credit is doing this.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got an email from 'Chase support' that someone logged into my account....which I dont actually have one. Wants me to click a button to go there and check it.

I like Chase's new email....
Spoiler:
Chase <pore993cf9f87a4675de0176a6e952366d69@earthlinkDOTnet>
I should really check on my non existent account someday. No telling whats going on with it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How stupid is it to have poison tasters for kings. Couldn't you just use a slow acting poison?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...or just replace the posing towers with Mark Wahlberg? The only downside there is someone might never try to poison you.
Covfefe!
Brian

Post by Brian »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:17 pm ...just replace the posing towers with Mark Wahlberg
I think, really, this should have been done a long time ago.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good lord, that may very well be my favorite autocorrect of all time. :lol:

Definitely not correcting it.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tonight's the night. I'm going to finally try Chicken and Waffles. A soul food restaurant opened up near me a little while ago and I just noticed they have it on their menu. I've always wondered what it would taste like. Tonight I find out.

...good lord i have a boring life.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have no plans to ever try chicken and waffles.
stessier

Post by stessier »

My wife and kids enjoy it. If you like sweet and salty, you'll probably like it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:28 pm I have no plans to ever try chicken and waffles.
Not even if you throw some Frank's red hot on it, then maybe some onion and garlic powder, and perhaps some Velveeta cheese slices?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least add some potted meat food product.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Potted meat and Franks RedHot sounds good. Maybe with some mayo and canned cheese.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:33 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:28 pm I have no plans to ever try chicken and waffles.
Not even if you throw some Frank's red hot on it, then maybe some onion and garlic powder, and perhaps some Velveeta cheese slices?
That's a good start, but it may not provide a sufficient quantity of MSG to fully satiate a Daehawk. Perhaps a garnish of suitable Dorito or Cheeto-dust would help?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:11 pm Potted meat and Franks RedHot sounds good. Maybe with some mayo and canned cheese.
:?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, chicken and waffles ordered and will be ready in 20 minutes. I also got a side of collard greens cooked in turkey. I've never really had soul food so I'm going to try a few things new to me.

Daehawk, I asked if they served spam sandwiched between two oreo cookies but they apparently never heard of the "Daehawk Duo". :?
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hope they know their collards or you'll need a chainsaw to chew them.

Maybe a slice of Spam between two slices of Spam....drizzled in honey.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was okay. Not great, but not awful. I think the syrup overpowers the other tastes in the end.

The greens were so spicy I think I’ve lost my vision temporarily...

...which is appropriate as I’m watch the series finale of Wandavision.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Random randomness

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:Tonight's the night. I'm going to finally try Chicken and Waffles. A soul food restaurant opened up near me a little while ago and I just noticed they have it on their menu. I've always wondered what it would taste like. Tonight I find out.

I am coming over and we going to eat there. Someday soon.

Unless it has to come with syrup and spicy salad.
Last edited by Zarathud on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still wondering what collard greens cooked in turkey means.

I feel like I should reply with the Arugula walks at midnight.

If a strange package arrives in a week Ill know Ive done wrong.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's a collturken.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:02 pm
hepcat wrote:Tonight's the night. I'm going to finally try Chicken and Waffles. A soul food restaurant opened up near me a little while ago and I just noticed they have it on their menu. I've always wondered what it would taste like. Tonight I find out.

I am coming over and we going to eat there. Someday soon.

Unless it has to come with syrup and spicy salad.
They have pot roast and other comfort foods on the menu. We should do that after a game of Altar Quest or any of the games you own that you won’t let me play.

Although the Jamaican place down the street still makes the best jerk chicken I’ve ever had.

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:02 pm Im still wondering what collard greens cooked in turkey means.
It means chocolate pudding cooked in a broth made out of the tears of the innocent.

It’s collared greens cooked WITH turkey. Does that help? If not, I can white board out what a turkey is.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think I would like soul food. I thought I tried it once but that was sole food, and it tasted like old leather.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did you hoof it out of there?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

There's a news story that Twitter may be rolling out a much-requested Undo "feature". I don't understand why edit/undo is such a challenge unless it was always a deliberate omission to encourage accountability, etc. I just... this many years later, I don't understand Twitter. I don't know why we need it. I don't know what its purpose is. Or at least, why the system hasn't been vastly improved upon. It's not a generational thing; I was 22 when Twitter launched. (15 years ago, somehow?) I understand social media... at least, I understand its appeal to most people. But I'm still dumbfounded that a stripped down, restricted, public messaging network has been so difficult to engineer, is in the hands of a single private entity, and hasn't been blown out of the water by a common-sense competitor. Other than intertia... I mean, it's why Facebook is still around too even though everyone hates it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Read something I felt was extremely funny, but maybe I'm just in that mood.

I recently bought a small peltier cooler, enough for 12 x 12 oz cans, touted as personal cooler, basically, branded Frigidaire, but it's not a freezer. It can only go 20-28 degree below room temp. Soda is cool, but not "cold".

I was just going over the manual, when I noticed it has a "child entrapment warning", where it warns you to remove the door before disposing of it.

Remember, this only fits 12 cans.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe its Smurf children.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:09 am Maybe its Smurf children.
There is such a thing? (Dimly remembers that Smurfette was created by their arch-rival, and they really have no female at all?)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:39 am There's a news story that Twitter may be rolling out a much-requested Undo "feature". I don't understand why edit/undo is such a challenge unless it was always a deliberate omission to encourage accountability, etc. I just... this many years later, I don't understand Twitter. I don't know why we need it. I don't know what its purpose is. Or at least, why the system hasn't been vastly improved upon. It's not a generational thing; I was 22 when Twitter launched. (15 years ago, somehow?) I understand social media... at least, I understand its appeal to most people. But I'm still dumbfounded that a stripped down, restricted, public messaging network has been so difficult to engineer, is in the hands of a single private entity, and hasn't been blown out of the water by a common-sense competitor. Other than intertia... I mean, it's why Facebook is still around too even though everyone hates it.
One danger with edit/undo is that you'll get pranksters who attract a bunch of likes/comments and then edit their tweet to mean the opposite of what people liked.

The obvious solution is that edits should reset likes to zero and perhaps attach a notation to earlier comments. Since what most people want is a way to fix typos immediately after posting, this would probably be acceptable.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

TIL that dishwashing detergent is still effective after all the suds are gone... in fact, it shouldn't be sudsing up in the first place...

https://www.quora.com/When-washing-the- ... -effective

what i already knew: you shouldn't be handwashing your dishes generally (except of course the wooden and wooden-handled utensils, the sharp knives, the Teflon, the china, etc etc) and run a full dishwasher load instead. my dad insists that handwashing uses less water, but it's actually not true.

for me, as a household of one, getting a full dishwasher usually takes about two weeks... so i go the handwashing route.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:56 pm for me, as a household of one, getting a full dishwasher usually takes about two weeks... so i go the handwashing route.
I used to run the dishwasher once every 6-7 days, until the pandemic. Now that Wife's always home and we eat all of our meals here, the dishwasher fills up every 3-4 days. I hand-wash pots and pans and plastic containers daily.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I am the dishwasher.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My wife destroys every mechanical dishwasher we put in with her motorized wheelchair.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never watched that show. Didn't come on here. I did SO love Robot Wars though in the late 90s I think it was...maybe early 2000s. I remember those bots well. Some nasty fighters in that show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:41 pm My wife destroys every mechanical dishwasher we put in with her motorized wheelchair.
I want to understand this. Are you integrating dishwashers with her motorized wheelchair in an attempt to create a mobile dishwashing service? Or does she get a good 10 to 15 foot ramming distance and then wreck a stationary one?
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Her wheelchair is built like a tank. She has very little control of it. Our walls are gone, our doorways are gone and our dishwasher is gone.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949