Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Random randomness

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:08 pm A quality Indian take-out place just opened a block-and-a-half from my house. It's the one thing my neighborhood has been lacking.

My needs are now entirely met.
Embarrassing confession time: I've never eaten Indian food. :oops:

I'm an incredibly picky eater with a very bland pallet who doesn't like anything spicy. It's simply never appealed to me. I really need to fix that though.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:15 pm I think they need to redesign beds. They always seem to get harder to get out of than to get in to.
Just turn it upside down.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tried to find a George Jetson gif for this but failed.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:38 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:08 pm A quality Indian take-out place just opened a block-and-a-half from my house. It's the one thing my neighborhood has been lacking.

I'm an incredibly picky eater with a very bland pallet who doesn't like anything spicy. It's simply never appealed to me. I really need to fix that though.
There's some good non-spicy Indian foods, and a lot of places will let you specify how hot or mild you want something. I can't give you much in the way of recommendations on that front, though, as I enjoy the pain.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it's super easy to get flavorful without the heat (especially since you live in Utah) - are you near SLC?
MHS

Post by MHS »

Start with chicken tikka masala and ask for it mild. So good. It's probably not very PC but when they ask me my desired spice level, I say "midwestern white girl 1" which has all the spice level of ketchup but with a lot more flavor. (That's an exaggeration, I can handle medium levels of spice but when I was starting out, I kept it very cautious)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I like the taste of spicy things, but can't stand the heat. I get mild salsa and green tabasco sauce. Black pepper is great, red pepper not so much.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I can't stand the smell of curry. If there's an Indian restaurant on a block, I'll take a detour to avoid it.

I've avoided Asian food in general my whole life. Since the pandemic has burned me out on our normal takeout options, I recently branched out cautiously into Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese. Not Indian, though. I'm sure they make things I would like, but Wife would have to go pick it up because of the stench. Fortunately there are no Indian restaurants nearby, so it's a moot point. But I'm open to trying it if I don't have to go within a block of curry.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I had a similar experience with Indian curry when I was young that's made me reluctant to delve deeper into Indian cuisine, though I appreciate some of the other popular dishes that are generally thought to appeal to the western palate. Initially I misunderstood the difference between curry the dish (which is very broad) and curry spice, which isn't a single spice at all, but a blend. I presume it may have been one particular spice or dish I found unappealing, or just the combination of multiple aromas that were foreign to me. Toronto has a huge Indian community so there are certainly many options locally.

I've come to love Singapore noodles which, while not Indian, is a curry-powder-based dish.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Three things have proven humanity is worth saving.

The invention of fire, the invention of the computer, and the invention of Butter Chicken. Naan is a close fourth.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That's how I feel about Japanese cuisine. I understand people's initial trepidation with regard to sushi, but fresh sushi is sublime. Even fried dishes like tempura and katsudon etc. can still be so light and fresh.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:11 pm it's super easy to get flavorful without the heat (especially since you live in Utah) - are you near SLC?
Ya, south end of the Salt Lake valley.

I’m like Kraken, the smell of most Indian food immediately urns me off. It may be delicious, but I’m not sure I could get past the smell to actually put curry in my mouth.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:35 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:11 pm it's super easy to get flavorful without the heat (especially since you live in Utah) - are you near SLC?
Ya, south end of the Salt Lake valley.

I’m like Kraken, the smell of most Indian food immediately urns me off. It may be delicious, but I’m not sure I could get past the smell to actually put curry in my mouth.
you don't have to go to Indian right away - i would actually recommend checking out Afghan Kitchen to start. Afghani cuisine has similarities to north Indian, but also to central Asian as well.

also of interest would be House of Tibet - you could say Tibetan is kind of a Nepalese/Chinese hybrid roughly, but it is its own thing.

and! with north Indian, you might want to start with the ol' butter chicken - that's probably the way to ease in.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks! Will check those out.

There’s a Himalayan Kitchen right around the corner, and I’ve just never tried it. Need to just bite the bullet and order something to see how it is.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:Three things have proven humanity is worth saving.

The invention of fire, the invention of the computer, and the invention of Butter Chicken. Naan is a close fourth.
This. Butter Chicken is a gateway drug. Living near Devon was so much more fun when restaurants were open.

I am a wimp, and Indian food can be deceptive. My college roommate brought some incredible looking potatoes. They were do hot, I reached for the water not the milk. Big mistake.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If you have a loved one cremated do you ever wonder if the mortician had to take a mortar and pestle and grind up the bones to little bitty pieces of your loved one? Or did they just throw them away?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:28 pm If you have a loved one cremated do you ever wonder if the mortician had to take a mortar and pestle and grind up the bones to little bitty pieces of your loved one? Or did they just throw them away?
I'm pretty sure they have blenders for that.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ah.....bone blenders.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:28 pm If you have a loved one cremated do you ever wonder if the mortician had to take a mortar and pestle and grind up the bones to little bitty pieces of your loved one? Or did they just throw them away?
As one who has scattered "cremains" more than once, I'm pretty sure they're really kitty litter.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've had two relatives that were cremate and it was up to me to do their wishes (ie dispose of their ashes) and they sure seemed like kitty litter to me.
So when I see a TV show or movie and they scatter this "dust" I have to question it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Today I learned...
What is done with the remains that are left directly after cremation?

We refer to cremated remains as ashes but what is left behind is actually bits of bone. After cremation, a special processor grinds the fragments into what we call “cremains.” This is what we mean when we refer to ashes.
To make cremains, you need a cremulator.
After the incineration is completed, the dry bone fragments are swept out of the retort and pulverised by a machine called a Cremulator—essentially a high-capacity, high-speed blender—to process them into "ashes" or "cremated remains", although pulverisation may also be performed by hand.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:31 am Today I learned...
What is done with the remains that are left directly after cremation?

We refer to cremated remains as ashes but what is left behind is actually bits of bone. After cremation, a special processor grinds the fragments into what we call “cremains.” This is what we mean when we refer to ashes.
To make cremains, you need a cremulator.
After the incineration is completed, the dry bone fragments are swept out of the retort and pulverised by a machine called a Cremulator—essentially a high-capacity, high-speed blender—to process them into "ashes" or "cremated remains", although pulverisation may also be performed by hand.
When joke answers turn out to be true.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

A couple of weeks ago I learned that my FIL's ashes cremains are in a jar on the mantelpiece. This happened when I nearly knocked over the jar.

They're in a sealed plastic bag, but still...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:10 pm I can't stand the smell of curry. If there's an Indian restaurant on a block, I'll take a detour to avoid it.

I've avoided Asian food in general my whole life. Since the pandemic has burned me out on our normal takeout options, I recently branched out cautiously into Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese. Not Indian, though. I'm sure they make things I would like, but Wife would have to go pick it up because of the stench. Fortunately there are no Indian restaurants nearby, so it's a moot point. But I'm open to trying it if I don't have to go within a block of curry.
In the UK they're joking about whole Indian families rushing to get COVID testing because they believe they've lost their sense of taste.

Turns out they were just eating English food.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill try any food once...unless its probably rotten or poison. Ive never had Indian or any of the sub continent foods. Would love to. I just dont want to embarrass myself going in to order something.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:00 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:10 pm I can't stand the smell of curry. If there's an Indian restaurant on a block, I'll take a detour to avoid it.

In the UK they're joking about whole Indian families rushing to get COVID testing because they believe they've lost their sense of taste.

Turns out they were just eating English food.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its 1:30 in the morning and its 70 degrees. I think the forecast was 45.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:15 pm I think they need to redesign beds. They always seem to get harder to get out of than to get in to.
When I was having chronic back pain, my "go to" for getting out of bed when I couldn't sit up was to tense myself as rigid as a board and rotate 90º so my legs hung over the side. After that, gravity assisted with me pivoting so I was standing. It helped that my bed was high off the floor and not a mattress on the carpet.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

So good.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

New AI ‘Deep Nostalgia’ brings old photos, including very old ones, to life

Cool and weird. The ancient marble statues though are creepy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ahhhahahahaha. A deserved death if there was one.

Rooster with blade kills man during cockfight in Telangana

Even better ...
Accidentally, the knife that was tied to the rooster's leg, got pierced into Satish's groin, injuring him grievously.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:36 am So good.
<snipped Tweet>
Spoiler:
Warhammer 40k references abound, for those like me who had to go look up "Squig" "Nuln Oil" and "Aggrax" - layered on top of a short speech by Rorschach from Alan Moore's Watchmen
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, Google. You and your suggestions.

The question I wanted to ask: Do elastic shoe laces work as well as regular laces?

Halfway through, about the sixth suggestion down: Do elastic shoe laces work as well as Viagra?

:|

:shock:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Woke up in the middle of the night after what may be the weirdest dream I've had in a while. Apparently, my unconscious self believes that if I own not one, but two pinky rings, I'll be very cool.
He won. Period.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:13 pm The question I wanted to ask: Do elastic shoe laces work as well as regular laces?
You do get significantly more expansion and contraction while using elastic laces, which makes for a slackened fit that causes your feet to move around within the shoe. Elastic laces are all about making it quicker, easier, and more convenient to get your feet into and out of your shoes as quickly as possible. Whereas regular laces are better-suited for a more secure and supportive fit. The following video does a decent job of demonstrating and explaining the differences:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks, I'll give that a watch in a bit. The shoes in question don't get worn for any strenuous activity, FWIW. They're mostly worn sitting in the car, going to the grocery store, or just for the occasional walk.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:50 am New AI ‘Deep Nostalgia’ brings old photos, including very old ones, to life

Cool and weird. The ancient marble statues though are creepy.
That's cool. I may have to try uploading a photo of my mother. She died when I was eight. I have no real memories of her, and no quality video (I have a couple of reels of home movies, but they're 60s/70s quality home movies and she isn't nearby in any of them.)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think I'll load in that picture of Mati Hari as a dancing girl.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If I load in my own picture will it make me come alive?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter