Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Meal

Re: Random randomness

Post by The Meal »

*and* you can actually see out the rear window.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

BAWLS Guarana rootbeer. Hey this stuff is really good! I always figured it would taste medicine'y or like crap. But its actually right good. This will be my only one ever Im guessing as it was a $1.49 test for a 10 oz bottle. So good though. Shame.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
disarm

Post by disarm »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Get your Adult Cream Pie at McDonalds Japan.
Now they’re attempting to grab the spotlight once again with another never-before-seen release — the Otona no Cream Pie, which translates to “Adult Cream Pie” in English.
However, the combination of the word “adult” and “cream pie” brings up a whole other imagery entirely for English speakers, which has people questioning whether or not the team consulted with any English-language speakers before deciding on the new name.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:42 am If I had to drive a station wagon, it would be between that FUCKS and a Hyundai Velociraptor.
A friend of mine drove a 2013 Hyundai he bought used. At 63,000 miles it developed a problem that could only be resolved by replacing the engine at a cost of $10k. Because he bought it used the Hyundai warranty didn't apply.

I would never, ever buy a Hyundai.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Took my big dog out for a bathroom break last night about midnight and the full moon was making a big old light halo around it. Looked like a dark nothing between the moon and the halo. Was very cool and pretty.

This wasn't mine but it looked a lot like it. Pic kinda looks like the Deathstar firing.

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Exodor wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:57 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:42 am If I had to drive a station wagon, it would be between that FUCKS and a Hyundai Velociraptor.
A friend of mine drove a 2013 Hyundai he bought used. At 63,000 miles it developed a problem that could only be resolved by replacing the engine at a cost of $10k. Because he bought it used the Hyundai warranty didn't apply.

My remark was based on styling alone. Our Forester was one of the most expensive cars we ever had to maintain and repair. Nice vehicle, but would not buy again. (To their credit, Subaru Corporate reimbursed us $3,000 for repeated wheel-bearing replacements that should've been covered under warranty, after the dealership didn't see it our way.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There comes a time in everyone's life when you realize you're old. It doesn't really sneak up on you or happen over time. Just one day WHAM you're old. Ive felt old for years...maybe 8 years. My mind says Im 25 but my body has been telling me Im older. But last year suddenly it screamed THATS IT YOU ARE NOW OLD ! Deal with it old man. I think it was when I started simply falling. Out of the blue. Of course in life you trip or you fall. But when you're younger its a rug or a hole in the football field you trip on. Its the edge of the river or the motorcycle you fall off of. But when you turn old theres nothing there really.

Last Feb I fell off a gate. Just 5 minutes before that that was simply walking and fell right to the ground. Didn't trip on anything. My legs just quit. I laughed it off and went on to get on that gate to help someone out. Off I fell. Busted up both hands and wrists. When Iwas 15 I fell twice that height and into the same position and not even a scratch. Mentioned that before I know. My left still hurt all day and night. I still cant use it well because it shoots pain. Its weak too as I can barely grip with that hand. The right is better but still has problems. 3 different docs couldn't help.

Ive tripped a lot too lately. Things when I was younger I would not have. Sometimes nothing at all..I just trip. Today my back is painful and I stood up and started walking but was hunched over not able to straighten up. I got my foot in the extension cord. Almost fell. A little later Im simply walking and trip..on nothing.

Ive seen it time and again older people over 50. Falls set in and soon after they are gone. Usually not from a fall. Its just a sign. My father in law started to fall. A year later he was gone from his heart. Mother in law fell. broke her hip. She was gone in a year. In 2018 after never seeing my wife fall a single time even with bad hips she fell twice in 2 weeks. After the first time I held onto her every time I caught her up. After a week she seemed ok and I stopped. A week later another fall. She was gone in 3 months. Seen it in many other family members.

Its just like a flash and suddenly old is upon you. Im just 50 but I fall. I trip and stumble on things I would never have before or sometimes nothing at all. I really feel old now. I am old to me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I dream I'm usually in my mid forties and everything works fine.
<sigh>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Exodor wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:57 pm

I drive a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. I bought it pre-owned from a dealership in 2003, but it already had 27k miles on it. It's now a couple thousand shy of 200k miles. It's still my primary vehicle. The car is a total workhorse, never had any problems with it, other than replacing normal wear and tear. The non-essential "button" things have been breaking down over the last few years (e.g. the automated locks mostly died where you can lock them with the remote or the button on the door, but can only unlock manually; the trunk lock catches so can only unlock with a key, etc.) Granted, my commute is very short, but I still trust the car to drive to the mountains to go skiing.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:23 pm Took my big dog out for a bathroom break last night about midnight and the full moon was making a big old light halo around it. Looked like a dark nothing between the moon and the halo. Was very cool and pretty.

This wasn't mine but it looked a lot like it. Pic kinda looks like the Deathstar firing.

Enlarge Image
Moon halo (also a solar halo).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is what they told us in Boy Scouts (storm warning):
In folklore, moon rings are said to warn of approaching storms. Like other ice halos, 22° halos appear when the sky is covered by thin cirrus or cirrostratus clouds that often come a few days before a large storm front. However, the same clouds can also occur without any associated weather change, making a 22° halo unreliable as a sign of bad weather.
That's a bummer. I'll stick with my weather rock, I guess.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well this was about 3 or 4 hours after a severe storm in our case.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:16 pm When I dream I'm usually in my mid forties and everything works fine.
<sigh>
When I'm awake I'm usually in my mid forties and everything doesn't.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In my dreams I'm still a thin, fit 20- or 30-something -- it's not clear because you never see yourself third-person in a dream (do you?). In the waking world I'm a dumpy 60-something. My memory is slipping and my joints ache, but otherwise I'm in pretty good shape. I haven't been hit by the old age truck yet. I credit my regular 3- and 4-mile walks. You've gotta keep moving to keep your fitness level up, because once that slips away, you ain't getting it back.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For additional security, layer on panty hose under clothing. Leeches cannot penetrate its tight weave or obtain traction on its slippery surface.

They did not tell us this in the Boy Scouts.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I'm awake I'm usually in my mid forties and everything doesn't.
usually? You mean you're not always mid 40s when awake?? :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was watching clip of an old ep of STTNG and thought the guy playing Picard's professor looked familiar so looked him up. Yup he was also in St Elsewhere. But that wasn't the surprising part. That was that he was old in the ep of STTNG and that was 1993. His name is Norman Lloyd and I looked him up. Born in 1914. But there was no death date .My god he was still alive! IS still alive.

This is from his 105th birthday... a year ago.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 pm You've gotta keep moving to keep your fitness level up, because once that slips away, you ain't getting it back.
Amen. In my mid 40s, I was put on Humira. It sucked the life out of me for four plus years before I managed to have my doctor take me off as a trial run (exhausting many other options, including seeing a shrink and running through courses of head meds). I've been struggling and losing to build up my energy ever since. I need to do a better job and I'm not sure how. Bouncing back from 4 plus years of debilitating fatigue when you are pushing 50 and have to work and keep your life together, well, I've yet to manage it. Heck, it's been a year that I've been off Humira and I still don't even have my house in anything resembling order yet. On the bright side, I don't feel myself rapidly slipping further into chasm anymore. I'm just not clawing my way back up. (This is not good when your PCP says your body thinks it's 80)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ManAboutNothing wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:27 pm Wouldn't that name be too obvious and on-the-nose for a large company to pull off and then claim it was accidental? Or did they figure the weird press they'd get from a name like FUCKS would make up for it?
It was at the Singapore auto show, created by a local distributor there just for the show. Presumably it a victim of Engrish.

It not available in the US and Subaru America is doing their best to distance themselves from it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:36 pm
ManAboutNothing wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:27 pm Wouldn't that name be too obvious and on-the-nose for a large company to pull off and then claim it was accidental? Or did they figure the weird press they'd get from a name like FUCKS would make up for it?
It was at the Singapore auto show, created by a local distributor there just for the show. Presumably it a victim of Engrish.

It not available in the US and Subaru America is doing their best to distance themselves from it.
Given how tricked-out that Forester appears to be, I assumed it wasn't even an official Subaru entry to whatever event that was. I assumed it was just someone's personal restyling.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 pm In my dreams I'm still a thin, fit 20- or 30-something -- it's not clear because you never see yourself third-person in a dream (do you?). In the waking world I'm a dumpy 60-something. My memory is slipping and my joints ache, but otherwise I'm in pretty good shape. I haven't been hit by the old age truck yet. I credit my regular 3- and 4-mile walks. You've gotta keep moving to keep your fitness level up, because once that slips away, you ain't getting it back.
In my dreams I'm usually in my late 20s (grad-school era), but I interact with everyone I know at their current ages. It seems unfair.

The exception is when I interact with old friends I haven't seen since (e.g.) high school, who are still in high school.

What's most interesting is that the age difference is never an issue. No one ever seems to notice it, and neither do I in my dream self. When I'm half-awake coming up from the dream I'll occasionally think it interesting that Tom is still 17, but then I shake my head loose and realize what's going on.
MHS

Post by MHS »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:14 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 pm You've gotta keep moving to keep your fitness level up, because once that slips away, you ain't getting it back.
Amen. In my mid 40s, I was put on Humira. It sucked the life out of me for four plus years before I managed to have my doctor take me off as a trial run (exhausting many other options, including seeing a shrink and running through courses of head meds). I've been struggling and losing to build up my energy ever since. I need to do a better job and I'm not sure how. Bouncing back from 4 plus years of debilitating fatigue when you are pushing 50 and have to work and keep your life together, well, I've yet to manage it. Heck, it's been a year that I've been off Humira and I still don't even have my house in anything resembling order yet. On the bright side, I don't feel myself rapidly slipping further into chasm anymore. I'm just not clawing my way back up. (This is not good when your PCP says your body thinks it's 80)
God, same. A year or two of kidney failure followed by a transplant has just wiped out the old me. I'm fat and tired and I can't figure out how to not be fat and tired. How can you motivate yourself to take care of yourself when you're spiraling into a depression because of how incapable of taking care of yourself you are? I have never gone more than a couple of months without doing at least some hit and miss exercise and now it's been 2+ years since I did anything more strenuous than an occasional walk. I'm every cliche about wanting to be healthy but saying it into my milkshake.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

New glasses just arrived. progressive lenses, Now I can see my monitor and/or closer, which I couldn't with my single vision glasses before (it'd be way too fuzzy). Besides, I broke that pair and only barely glued it back together.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

MHS wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:27 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:14 pm
God, same. A year or two of kidney failure followed by a transplant has just wiped out the old me. I'm fat and tired and I can't figure out how to not be fat and tired. How can you motivate yourself to take care of yourself when you're spiraling into a depression because of how incapable of taking care of yourself you are? I have never gone more than a couple of months without doing at least some hit and miss exercise and now it's been 2+ years since I did anything more strenuous than an occasional walk. I'm every cliche about wanting to be healthy but saying it into my milkshake.

:( So sorry to hear it. I'd only wish that spiral on very select few people. Use me as a beacon of what not to become.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dreamed last night me and my wife were talking as we made up the bed. I was asking her on her reasons of no life insurance and such and just as she started to answer I woke up. See this is why the secrets of the universe are locked away from me...I can ask but I wake up before I get answers :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
Emergency units treated 17 children and 9 adults after an LAX-bound aircraft apparently dumped fuel on an elementary school playground, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

All 26 patients were "complaining of minor injuries," the department said in tweet.

None of the patients was taken to the hospital.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

John Tyler was born in 1790.
One of his sons was born in 1853.
His sons (Tyler's grandsons) were born in 1924 and 1928.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/41568688/2 ... ad-in-home

Well this is just sad. I used to wonder how my wife would get along without me. Now I worry what happens if I become incapacitated. Dont want my dogs to starve to death.

Poor couple.
Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of two elderly people, a man and a woman, at a home on County Road 203.

According to Sheriff Joe Guy, the man was the caregiver for the woman, who was bed-bound in a chair.

Sheriff Guy says the man apparently passed away in the downstairs a week ago, leaving the woman with no access to a phone due to her immobility.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:18 am I used to wonder how my wife would get along without me. Now I worry what happens if I become incapacitated. Dont want my dogs to starve to death.
Sounds like you ought to give serious consideration towards purchasing an in-home medical alert system. If you're otherwise unable to reach your phone in an emergency, it'd be a small price to pay to avoid suffering through an excruciating caveman-death.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:30 pm His sons (Tyler's grandsons) were born in 1924 and 1928.
And one of those grandsons went on to great success as the lead singer of Aerosmith.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

March 26, 1948 About as far away as we are are from Y2K and Creed now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:41 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:18 am I used to wonder how my wife would get along without me. Now I worry what happens if I become incapacitated. Dont want my dogs to starve to death.
Sounds like you ought to give serious consideration towards purchasing an in-home medical alert system. If you're otherwise unable to reach your phone in an emergency, it'd be a small price to pay to avoid suffering through an excruciating caveman-death.
And I haven't looked into them, but I've also heard of automated email systems that basically require you log in every couple of days and click 'I'm alive', or they send an email to addresses of your choice requesting a welfare check.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Bond. James Bond. James H. Bond.

SMITHS STATION, Ala. (WTVM) - Three suspects were arrested for child abuse in Smiths Station after a welfare check at a residence in the 5000 block of Lee Road 246.

During the check, Lee County sheriff’s investigators and personnel from the County Department of Human Resources made contact with four children, ages 3, 4 10, and 11 years old.
James H. Bond, 69 of Smith Station

Two counts of aggravated child abuse of a child less than six years of age
Two counts of reckless endangerment
$122,000 bond
Worthless POS.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In Chattanooga some idiot was playing video games when his step daughter 3 years old and another younger toddler wondered out the door and into the street where the little girl was killed by a truck. The step dad is now under arrest for it.

Also for the first time they indicted a guy who failed to yield for a motorcycle and the rider died. Bout time. They usually do nothing.

Lastly...if testicles have to be outside the body for sperm to survive why then do sperm have to be put back inside a body to make babies?
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have to go to the VA for a bone density test.
They just test your head, right?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Make sure you pack your Cialis.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 pm I have to go to the VA for a bone density test.
They just test your head, right?
:lol: Way too thick.
Spoiler:
DEXA scans use x-rays so probably not your head. I want to say arms, hips, feet usually.

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It actually focuses on the spine and hips. It happens I'm a little short of bone in these places.
I happen to have a bad hypothyroid gland.
If they remove it I'll have no neck. Just my head sitting on my shoulders.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
MHS

Post by MHS »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:48 am :( So sorry to hear it. I'd only wish that spiral on very select few people. Use me as a beacon of what not to become.
Thanks. I think it might be too late.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.