Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: Random randomness

Post by AWS260 »

A reporter wrote his own obituary:
In 1981, Ken landed his dream job, working as a reporter for The Des Moines Register, where he was probably best known for writing a one-paragraph, one-sentence weather story that has been reprinted in four books. In 1996, Ken took the principled stand of leaving the Register because The Sun in Baltimore offered him more money. Three years later, having blown most of that money at Pimlico Race Track, he returned to the Register, where he remained until 2008.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:52 pm A reporter wrote his own obituary:
In 1981, Ken landed his dream job, working as a reporter for The Des Moines Register, where he was probably best known for writing a one-paragraph, one-sentence weather story that has been reprinted in four books. In 1996, Ken took the principled stand of leaving the Register because The Sun in Baltimore offered him more money. Three years later, having blown most of that money at Pimlico Race Track, he returned to the Register, where he remained until 2008.
Isn't there a thread for that?

The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:52 pm A reporter wrote his own obituary:
Writing one's own obit used to be a standard first assignment for new editorial-staff employees.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:36 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:06 pm OH.MY.GOD!

I came across a snack at the little Speedway near me today Ive never seen before. But I like snacks like this so figured I could spare the $1.40 for this at least once. Its a mozzarella stick wrapped in a thin spicy salame from Volpi. Never heard of them. Man I was missing out son! Its one of the most wonderful tasting snacks Ive ever seen. The cheese is melt in your mouth creamy like butter and the salame is thin and tender and melts too. the taste is so good. I think if I was rich Id just live on these.

One of my favorite weekend lunches when nothing is planned (which is rare) is to go somewhere in the neighborhood and get a giant antipasto board and some beer.
About once every other month or so on Tequila Friday when we are tired of pizza this will be our dinner. We've always got good olives on hand (I buy them by the 2 kilo jar) and I'll stop for a half-pound each of a couple kinds a meat and two or three cheeses...maybe some dolmas and artichoke hearts, some nuts...so good!

I could even do a mini one tonight form the remains of New Year's Eve.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:12 pm when we are tired of pizza
I can't parse this. Can someone explain it to me?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One of my online friends says Brie heated in the oven then drizzle honey over it is good.

That ^ sentence structure is bothering me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:34 pm
I understand the individual words, but have never seen them in that order before. Sorry.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:49 pm
I understand the individual words, but have never seen them in that order before. Sorry.
I have days. Pizza fatigue is real.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You know how in a new year you sometimes/often use the wrong date? I've been doing that a lot. But instead of 2019 I've been typing 2010.

Like the wrong frigging decade. And I don't even notice. This is being old.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 pm You know how in a new year you sometimes/often use the wrong date? I've been doing that a lot. But instead of 2019 I've been typing 2010.

Being old is having the cashier at Dunkin this morning giving me a senior discount. WTF? I'm not even 50 yet!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:12 pm Pizza fatigue is real.

It's like I'm retreating in to a whole different world. I don't understand anything any more. Help me out here.
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:18 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 pm You know how in a new year you sometimes/often use the wrong date? I've been doing that a lot. But instead of 2019 I've been typing 2010.

Being old is having the cashier at Dunkin this morning giving me a senior discount. WTF? I'm not even 50 yet!
Heh, this is the year I can increase my 401k and my IRA to "catch up". I'm wondering where I'm supposed to be getting all of this catch up funding. Send some of those discounts my way. Only I don't get get to eat donuts... or pizza nearly as much as I would like to.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm with you 'Mortis. Pizza fatigue? I've tried to imagine a world without pizza and blue jeans and it's incomprehensible.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pizza is the perfect food with infinite variety.

The only problem is I am imperfect and my heart and fat stomach can't handle pizza perfection.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:37 am
stessier wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:41 pm I got Spider-Man: Far From Home for Christmas. I went to claim the digital copy and found it had already been claimed - on Oct 9th (we placed our order on Nov 29th)! I filed a complaint with Sony and first had to provide a receipt (Amazon order worked) and today had to send in a picture of the UPC and front and back of box. Hopefully that will be it.
Victory - I now have a streaming copy!

Separately, I had trouble claiming a streaming copy of John Wick 3. They sent me a new code with much less hassle, but the only way to claim it was to agree to get email from Lions Gate. That really stinks.
That's why you ought to use the Bloody Vikings! extension. With that extension installed, it's effortless to quickly and easily create and use a disposable email address in Firefox.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:42 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:37 am
stessier wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:41 pm I got Spider-Man: Far From Home for Christmas. I went to claim the digital copy and found it had already been claimed - on Oct 9th (we placed our order on Nov 29th)! I filed a complaint with Sony and first had to provide a receipt (Amazon order worked) and today had to send in a picture of the UPC and front and back of box. Hopefully that will be it.
Victory - I now have a streaming copy!

Separately, I had trouble claiming a streaming copy of John Wick 3. They sent me a new code with much less hassle, but the only way to claim it was to agree to get email from Lions Gate. That really stinks.
That's why you ought to use the Bloody Vikings! extension. With that extension installed, it's effortless to quickly and easily create and use a disposable email address in Firefox.
Thanks for that tip. I've been thinking about making a political donation, and I don't want the party spamming me for all eternity, yet didn't want to go through the trouble of setting up a new throwaway address.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:36 pm One of my online friends says Brie heated in the oven then drizzle honey over it is good.

Actually, what you want to do is spoon some kind of preserves or jam over the brie and then wrap it in puff pastry THEN bake it. Fucking godhead food right there...
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:12 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:49 pm
I have days. Pizza fatigue is real.
Yes, thank you.

Please also realize that I make a pizza most Tequila Fridays. SOME Tequila Fridays may occur without me having built dough the night before. The dough is best with an 18 hour slow ferment in the fridge. Or I may want a change to a thin crust vs. my Detroit Style Tequila Friday pizzas. These thin crust pizzas must be purchased. I don't produce thin crust in my kitchen. Not yet...

Tonight's Tequila Friday Pizza Night In America Pizza is hand (thicc) sliced pepperoni, sweet Italian sausage, black olives, brick cheese, ricotta cheese and then a bunch of chiffonade basil all over it after it comes from the oven. I'll probably grate some real deal Parm on it too. Tomato sauce goes on after it comes out of the oven. And I'll eat it crying about Neil Peart.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:36 pm One of my online friends says Brie heated in the oven then drizzle honey over it is good.

[English teacher]

Verb tenses are mixed up there.

"One of my online friends says Brie heated in the oven then drizzled with honey is good" works.

"One of my online friends recommends oven-warmed Brie drizzled with honey" is smoother.

[/English teacher]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

One king-size sheet will provide 12 feet of rappelling length.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:37 pm

[English teacher]

Verb tenses are mixed up there.

"One of my online friends says Brie heated in the oven then drizzled with honey is good" works.

"One of my online friends recommends oven-warmed Brie drizzled with honey" is smoother.

[/English teacher]
Or “Drizzling honey on hot Brie is good!”
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:42 pm One king-size sheet will provide 12 feet of rappelling length.
144 inches. That's the approximate diagonal length of the triangle of the measurements, which, of course, vary by mfg. And then I doubt that you'd want to rely too heavily on the inches at the corners too heavily.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:58 pm Enlarge Image
Annie'sprettyyoungwetrynottosexualizeher.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Malibu SpeedZone is a whole lot less appealing as an adult than it was as a kid.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Get your own Subaru FUCKS

Enlarge Image
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:31 am Get your own Subaru FUCKS

Enlarge Image
I have an Impreza, it's too small for that.
Conform or be cast out!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If I had to drive a station wagon, it would be between that FUCKS and a Hyundai Velociraptor.
ManAboutNothing

Post by ManAboutNothing »

Wouldn't that name be too obvious and on-the-nose for a large company to pull off and then claim it was accidental? Or did they figure the weird press they'd get from a name like FUCKS would make up for it?
Derek
Very part-time indie developer and full time internet business tinkerer/failure/blunderer
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think that if it was intentional, the fact that we're posting pictures of it and discussing their product in a gaming forum shows that it was a successful move.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bad storms just moving in. Wind gusts of 75 mph ugh. Jan 11. Nah theres no global warming. Not at all. Also its 70 degrees.

EDIT: Winds really blowing. Now tornado warnings are starting.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just passed us. Small winter precipe.
50 miles south there were tornadoes and major storms. Somebody east of us is in trouble.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We had that yesterday. Tornado watches last night, high of 70. I woke up today to a layer of snow.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still here. Rain like a wall and gusts of wind. Severe thunderstorm watches and warnings..tornado watches and warnings. Emergency Broadcast System alarm going off.

Some idiot had the audacity to complain to the tv channel about missing the football game because of all this. They kinda told him off in a nice sorta way. Moron.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:42 am If I had to drive a station wagon, it would be between that FUCKS and a Hyundai Velociraptor.
Pretty sure Hennessey makes the Velociraptor (hehehe)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

He's really olde. Give him a break. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.ign.com/articles/nbc-orders ... ck-johnson

NBC Orders Comedy Based On the Life of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

So its Young 'Can you smell what he's cooking' Johnson?
During NBC Universal's presentation at the TCA winter press tour, it was announced that NBC has ordered up a new series called Young Rock, centered on the "formative years" of WWE Superstar and global box office champ Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

This 11-episode single-cam comedy is being produced by Nahnatchka Khan (Fresh Off the Boat, Don't Trust the B) and Johnson himself. Johnson will appear in every episode, but the search is on for a young actor to portray the childhood version of him.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:12 am He's really olde. Give him a break. :wink:
FWIW, the Hyundai is actually called the Veloster.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:25 am So its Young 'Can you smell what he's cooking in his diaper' Johnson?
FIFY
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:25 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:12 am He's really olde. Give him a break. :wink:
FWIW, the Hyundai is actually called the Veloster.
Which I owned up until a week ago.
Great little car, with the key word being little.
My old bones were having a increasingly difficult time wedging myself into.
Traded it in for an Elantra and although they claim the dimensions are very similar, because of the style and shape difference, I have triple the headroom I used to.
He/Him/His/Porcupine