Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Now I wish Id jumped on that like new garage kept Cub Cadet riding mower for $600. I was dead set on spending only $400 for a mower but now I cant find anything in that range. All are $900 - $2500 for junk. I shoulda used part of my tax money and just put it back over time. DOH!
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How many ways are there to skin a cat?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:25 pm How many ways are there to skin a cat?
More than one, but less than .
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Was there ever a high call for cat skin? I don't actually recall ever knowing of anything other than a cat being composed, in part, of cat skin. I may be exposing my ignorance on the topic. Or did people once eat cat and require it skinned, like you might do with bird meat?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BND
The most interesting discovery I made was that the people who began using the phrase seemed to be equal-opportunity animal abusers (in their speech, at least). Way back in 1678, English naturalist John Ray may have provided the earliest written version in his “Collection of English Proverbs”: “There are more ways to kill a dog than hanging.”

But by the 19th century, the tide had turned decisively against poor Kitty. In 1840, American humorist Seba Smith indicated as much in her short story “The Money Diggers” when she wrote: “As it is said, ‘There are more ways than one to skin a cat,’ so are there more ways than one of digging for money.”
In any case, nobody I’ve found has suggested why cats are picked on or why the saying popped up in the first place. From my own encounters with people, I can only guess it’s because man’s best friend continues to swamp its major rival in popularity. In a 2010 Associated Press-Petside.com poll, 74 percent said they liked dogs a lot versus 2 percent who disliked them a lot. On the other paw, cats could use an image boost. Only 41 percent liked them a lot while 15 percent detested them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive found mixing 1/4 190 proof to 3/4 cola still burns and tastes like rubbing alcohol in my cola.

Mixing 50% 190 with 50% cranapple is like drinking juice. No burn at all. Have to be careful. Wonder if you can make jello shots with this stuff. Or maybe icecubes.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:28 pm
Was there ever a high call for cat skin? I don't actually recall ever knowing of anything other than a cat being composed, in part, of cat skin. I may be exposing my ignorance on the topic. Or did people once eat cat and require it skinned, like you might do with bird meat?
My mother once told me that people used to nail cat skins to a barn to scare off mice. Presumably the scent would remain long after skinning. It wasn't always easy to keep live cats around because farmers also kept aggressive dogs.

I know I've seen old (1940s-era) cartoons where a cat skin was hanging on a barn or farmhouse (outside) wall with no explanation.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:12 pm Wonder if you can make jello shots with this stuff. Or maybe icecubes.
Can and should!

You will need more Knox gelatin to firm up the overproof liquor. The jello won't by strong enough on its own.

Ice cubes are a no. Overproof won't freeze.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never had jello shots. This may be a new adventure for me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Maybe I didn't go to enough frat parties, but is there anything to Jello shots other than the promise of getting drunk without tasting the high-proof alcohol?

Even if just getting drunk is the goal, wouldn't it be better to get there drinking something you enjoy?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:50 pm Maybe I didn't go to enough frat parties, but is there anything to Jello shots other than the promise of getting drunk without tasting the high-proof alcohol?

Even if just getting drunk is the goal, wouldn't it be better to get there drinking something you enjoy?
A big bonus is it tastes great when you puke!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well that would be less filling.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:06 pm Well that would be less filling.
I also like the easy-opening can jello.
Conform or be cast out!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Do evil fantasy villains realize that drinking out of a human skull is just impractical as hell?
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:06 pm Well that would be less filling.
Well, sure. Eventually.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:50 pm Maybe I didn't go to enough frat parties, but is there anything to Jello shots other than the promise of getting drunk without tasting the high-proof alcohol?

They're a novelty that amateurs like. Perfect for creepy dudes to get chicks drunk.

I prefer my liquor sans animal by-products.

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

OU Kosher
Another variety of gelatin, which has proven useful in meeting the needs of kosher consumers as well as the Muslim and Hindu communities, is fish gelatin. Kosher fish gelatin is extracted from the skins and bones of kosher fish, those that possess both fins and scales. Since kosher fish skins are plentiful and relatively inexpensive, fish gelatin has been a boon for meeting the growing world-wide demand for kosher. There are currently several OU-certified companies that produce fish gelatin. Of course, there are products that require beef gelatin, and no suitable alternative exists. The kosher consumer will be pleased to note that the OU certifies such a gelatin as well. This special kosher gelatin is made exclusively from the skins of kosher ritually slaughtered cows. Strikingly, this variety of beef-derived gelatin is considered pareve, and may even be combined with dairy ingredients! Although kosher laws are very strict concerning the segregation of milk and meat, the processing of these hides renders them pareve. Therefore, even kosher milk chocolate delicacies can be made with kosher beef gelatin. Orthodontists of the world rejoice: every sticky gummy treat is now available to the kosher consumer.
Lapi Gelatine

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sudy wrote:Thanks. I figured it's a situation where common sense and politeness apply. It's just always nagged at me because there seems to be some inconsistency and I don't feel like there's a specific cultural expectation. But it's not like a restaurant can't inform me if they can't serve me. I just don't want to be the one person making staff stay late.
At least from my perspective... 30 years ago (!), as a server, I would have been happy for you to pop in and sit down 45, 30 or even 15m before closing.

I never worked FT, so I was into making as much money as I could while I was on a shift.

If you poked your head in the restaurant 45 before close, looked around, and left, I would have made $2/hr. If you sat at one of my tables, unless you were a cheap twat of a bastard, I could make decent money. Which do you think I would have preferred? :)

Now the kitchen staff, sure, they would be pissed at you. :). They would get the same, shitty wage no matter how many ppl were in the front, so you coming in 10m before close, when they had already started breaking stuff down (against the manager’s orders) to clean, is not going to make them happy. It just means they are going to be going home 30m later than they thought/hoped.

But that was ages ago, I know a lot of places share a % of tips now (some did back then) with non-waitstaff.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:43 pm Ive never had jello shots. This may be a new adventure for me.
The issue with Jello shots is you have no idea how much alcohol was used to make them.
You can go to one place and do 12 of them with little effect.
Go to another place and get hammered on 4. It's a crap shoot.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Got the wife back from he hospital yesterday. They couldn't find anything wrong with her so they sent her home. Am now dealing with same. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

On second thought Im skipping the alcohol. Went to bed with cool rag on my forehead because I was sick at my stomach then woke up to a bad diarrhea. Now gotta go get my covid vaccine shot and a haircut. Its past my shoulders and its all gotta go for summer.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Sudy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:40 am Thanks. I figured it's a situation where common sense and politeness apply. It's just always nagged at me because there seems to be some inconsistency and I don't feel like there's a specific cultural expectation. But it's not like a restaurant can't inform me if they can't serve me. I just don't want to be the one person making staff stay late.
When I was a restaurant manager many moons ago, my district manager told me this, "The last customer of the day deserves the same treatment as the first." I always liked that advice. As LM said, the wait staff might not like it, but too bad. It's their job.

As a customer, I now ask if it's too late to be served if I'm popping in right before close. I'd rather not upset the people preparing or serving my food. They could do some not so nice things to it.

:shock:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's 29 degrees out there. Snowed this afternoon. Sun just came out and melted it. Gonna get down to mid twenties tomorrow morning. Who said winter was gone?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fardaza wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm
Sudy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:40 am Thanks. I figured it's a situation where common sense and politeness apply. It's just always nagged at me because there seems to be some inconsistency and I don't feel like there's a specific cultural expectation. But it's not like a restaurant can't inform me if they can't serve me. I just don't want to be the one person making staff stay late.
When I was a restaurant manager many moons ago, my district manager told me this, "The last customer of the day deserves the same treatment as the first." I always liked that advice. As LM said, the wait staff might not like it, but too bad. It's their job.

As a customer, I now ask if it's too late to be served if I'm popping in right before close. I'd rather not upset the people preparing or serving my food. They could do some not so nice things to it.
In my restaurant days we would always serve those who came in just under the wire, and then bitch about in the back room. The worst was as a bartender, two lovers would stake out the lounge until 2:00 am.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Fardaza wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm

:shock:
Back in the Before Times, when people traveled and did things, Wife's schedule occasionally got her home late and hungry, so we were Those People who breezed in 15 minutes before closing and asked if the grill was still open. Because we did that at restaurants where we were at least semi-regular customers, we'd apologize and explain why we were so grateful they were there, and they were always gracious about it.

At least, the front-of-house staff was. Who knows what was being said in the kitchen.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

From what weird perception do we look at things and meteors rise? Meteoric fall, I'd get and I've never heard anyone say meteoric fall
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It’s like the phrase: give rise to. Rise meaning ‘appearance’.
Where a meteoric rise is mostly hinged to its sudden appearance with a pending oblivion.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:56 pm Do evil fantasy villains realize that drinking out of a human skull is just impractical as hell?
Have you tried plugging the eye holes?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You mean the Flavor Sieves?
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got and odd request.

I have something personal going on, something fairly heavy. I could use some advice. A lot of the people who know me best are here, and if I want feedback, I need to ask here, despite it being embarrassing. But there are reasons I don't want to post it here. I have asked about it elsewhere, anonymously. If there are a few people here who have known me for a while, who are familiar with me, my situation, and my challenges who wouldn't mind, I'd like to PM you a link and hear some thoughts.

There is zero commitment. If I send you the link and you don't have anything to say, just don't follow up and I won't think anything at all of it. I would be hesitant to say anything myself if the tables were turned.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:45 pm I've got and odd request.

I have something personal going on, something fairly heavy. I could use some advice. A lot of the people who know me best are here, and if I want feedback, I need to ask here, despite it being embarrassing. But there are reasons I don't want to post it here. I have asked about it elsewhere, anonymously. If there are a few people here who have known me for a while, who are familiar with me, my situation, and my challenges who wouldn't mind, I'd like to PM you a link and hear some thoughts.

There is zero commitment. If I send you the link and you don't have anything to say, just don't follow up and I won't think anything at all of it. I would be hesitant to say anything myself if the tables were turned.
I haven't had a chance to send out a note to the people who responded, but I've managed a partial solution. It's not going to be a pleasant month, but I think I've got a handle on things for now. :grund:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That is amazing, the ‘lucky framing/timing’ of that shot is once in a life time. Looks almost fake (it’s that good), but clearly isn’t.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Very impressive. And I love how he didn't even take his other hand out of his pocket. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Socks these days are very poor quality. I used to buy socks at Walmart and they would last years. I only wear sports type socks. Crew and tube length. And they always lasted years. But in 2019 it was time for new ones. So off to Walmart. But they didn't have my GoldToe brand or the Gildan brands I usually see there. I looked online but found only a couple places with GoldToe and none of the type I wanted...and the price was crazy. I am used to paying $5 - $10 for 6 - 8 pairs in a pack.

Anyways in 2019 I bought some Dickies brand. They started getting holes in them and the tops started ripping apart from simply pulling them on within a year. I made them last until this year when I looked online for a good reviewed brand and got some Fruit of the Loom ones. But today I look and they are getting holes in them and it has'nt been 3 months.

WTF sock makers. You suck.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:57 pm Socks these days are very poor quality. I used to buy socks at Walmart and they would last years. I only wear sports type socks. Crew and tube length. And they always lasted years. But in 2019 it was time for new ones. So off to Walmart. But they didn't have my GoldToe brand or the Gildan brands I usually see there. I looked online but found only a couple places with GoldToe and none of the type I wanted...and the price was crazy. I am used to paying $5 - $10 for 6 - 8 pairs in a pack.

Anyways in 2019 I bought some Dickies brand. They started getting holes in them and the tops started ripping apart from simply pulling them on within a year. I made them last until this year when I looked online for a good reviewed brand and got some Fruit of the Loom ones. But today I look and they are getting holes in them and it has'nt been 3 months.

WTF sock makers. You suck.
UNIQLO socks are both affordable and surprisingly well-made and long-lasting in comparison to what's typically available from Walmart and the like.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have completely quit going to Walmart for socks - or any clothing if I can help it. Their push to drive down prices means that the brands can only afford to sell their lowest quality products there. I've been wearing these for the last couple of years and have yet to wear a pair out.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:47 pm I have completely quit going to Walmart for socks - or any clothing if I can help it. Their push to drive down prices means that the brands can only afford to sell their lowest quality products there. I've been wearing these for the last couple of years and have yet to wear a pair out.
Somehow it does not surprise me that you'd be wearing socks with an "Elastic cuff tab (that) can lock the hell." A wise precaution indeed!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Do you want hell unlocked?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I like the seamless teo.