Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Random randomness

Post by dbt1949 »

I had the shots years ago and then they came out with the "improved" version so I just got the 2nd one not too long ago. No side effects.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember back in the 90s when I first heard of and saw pics of Bettie Page. I thought she was a modern person who just posed as the older days stars. It was years later before I found out she was really born in 1928. It took me a while to believe it even. She still seems so modern in her look to today's style and appearance. Maybe its the hair or the makeup or the pose. Not sure. She just never seemed to be a person out of the 20s and 50s and 60 and even 70s.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:49 am I had the shots years ago and then they came out with the "improved" version so I just got the 2nd one not too long ago. No side effects.
I had a restless and uncomfortable night, but felt OK when I woke up. Arm was still sore at the injection site. The best thing for muscle pain is usually exercise, so I went out and raked for a couple of hours, and now I'm fine. This was the first time I've ever had a bad reaction to any vaccine. I WILL get the second shot, because shingles is not something you can shrug off.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Neighbor had it. Yuck.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My papaw had it in the 70s. My father in law had it in the 90s and so did my wife. Didn't seem fun but Im not getting that shot.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Due to deaths the local police are fussing about people talking on their phones in the car. I used to think hands free would help but the more I think on it I dont see talking on the phone in the car as being smart no matter how you do it. You're still talking on a phone while you should be driving. Do they allow doctors to talk on the phone while performing surgery? Do race car drivers do it? Maybe airline pilots or anyone. you can do it safely while doing anything else. I think they should ban all phone use in a car unless you are parked and the engine off.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What the hell Left Coast?

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

WTH south?? I have NEVER had mac and cheese for Thanksgiving in my entire 50 year life. Potato salad, baked beans, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, dressing, dinner rolls, pies, assorted other things.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

baked beans?

to me, that's a pretty odd TG side.

(mac n cheese is too)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

"disproportionately common"

So I assume that side dishes that showed up in all regions were ignored. Which would explain why mashed potatoes doesn't show up everywhere. Though I am kind of surprised that rolls/biscuits aren't also ubiquitous.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We're all going to a friend's tomorrow. We live in green, we're having blue and yellow. Everybody around here has chicken and noodles on Thanksgiving, but I never saw that out west. Mac & cheese still sounds off, even though they make it around here. It is like having ramen and Bar-S hot dogs for Christmas dinner.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:13 am What the hell Left Coast?

All of the above? Through really, Mac & Cheese is usually really macaroni salad and au gruaten potatoes in addition to smashedmatetas.

Turkey day is the 2nd biggest meal of the year behind Easter and ahead of Xmas. And the largest meal by volume.

Turkey day might feature:

Turkey
Stuffing from bird
Stuffing not from bird
Mashed Potatoes
Au grauten potatoes
2 kinds of gravy
Home made cranberry sauce
Cranberry sauce in the shape of corregated can
boiled corn
green bean cassarole
What ever the jello and green stuff in bundt cake mold is called
brussel sprouts
asparagus
Squash cooked one or two or three different ways, from chips to spears to some sort of mush
5 kinds of pie
rolls
Bread
corn bread
assorted olives and pickles
cheese cubes
fresh broccoli
fresh cauliflaur
stuffed celery
salad
Maybe a second meat. sometimes ham, sometimes kielbasa. Ham on Easter and Turkey on Turkey day seem to hold their separate spheres most years though.
Then one or more dishes from "taste of homes" or whatever experiment someone feels like pulling off.

I think family only gather 3-4 days a year and even then it's rotating table of who won't make it, so these meals end up being the sacred family pact, I think.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I make nachos. That is all. We haven't had traditional Tgiving food since my BIL's wife disowned us five years ago. We reconciled this summer, but now they live in FL.

We both like our nachos tradition, though. I never make them otherwise because they're too calorific.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was going to do nothing but ignore Thanksgiving this year but I found this in the freezer and figure my dogs would like some.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:26 pm I was going to do nothing but ignore Thanksgiving this year but I found this in the freezer and figure my dogs would like some.

Enlarge Image
Our first year together Michelle and I had that. We'd just moved to Reno, clear back in '95, didn't know anybody, and didn't have the money to eat out (I'd just gotten a job, and the money hadn't started flowing yet.) I remember getting a 'turkey loaf', some mashed potatoes, and... maybe some gravy? We at sitting on the floor - our only furniture was a twin mattress that we took turns sleeping on. It could have been sad, but we had a laugh and made the best of it. It's a memory we both look back on fondly now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've always like Cyndi Lauper. I don't know why. I never cared for much of her contemporary scene. Madonna, as example, I would avoid while I felt like Lauper was truly marching to a drum in her head that I liked, as I grew I in to my later teens, still hearing her music, one day I felt re-aligment, hearing "Time After Time" where I was listening to a sort of desperate compassion at the inequity built on cultures being swept under the rug masked with her pop and fun and look and sound. I'm glad when her name pops up, it's not in a kill your idols sort of way.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/11/26/c ... ed-nations
The award was created by the UN to reward artists who use their music and platform to champion social justice issues. Lauper began her charity True Colors United in 2008 to prevent and end homelessness among LGBT+ youth.

According to the charity: “LGBTQ young people are 120 per cent more likely to experience homelessness than all other youth… Through a wide array of advocacy, training and education, youth collaboration, and technical assistance programs, True Colors United implements innovative solutions to youth homelessness that focus on the unique experiences of LGBTQ young people.”

The award will be presented to Lauper by Kesha at the annual ‘Cyndi Lauper & Friends: Home for the Holidays‘ benefit concert on Human Rights Day (Tuesday, December 10).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At age 50 and me wondering why people pay for all these streaming services when they have cable must be the way old timers felt when people got cable when they already had free tv. Ive gotten old enough to be the last generation.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My dad is 73 and he refuses to entertain the idea of streaming things on demand or using some type of DVR. I explain to him he can still watch all his shows, but he is just recording them in advance (ideally) or pushing a button and watching them when he wants. Nope. Instead, he's content to sit in front of the TV for hours and channel surf. I don't get it either.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, as an old fart who has spent the past several weeks self-educating about streaming services and smart TVs, I can attest to its complexity, especially for those of us to whom getting a new TV meant (1) plug it in, (2) turn it on, and (3) watch it. But switching from cable to streaming will save us $125/mo initially, so that's motivation.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:52 pm My dad is 73 and he refuses to entertain the idea of streaming things on demand or using some type of DVR. I explain to him he can still watch all his shows, but he is just recording them in advance (ideally) or pushing a button and watching them when he wants. Nope. Instead, he's content to sit in front of the TV for hours and channel surf. I don't get it either.

My old man is 79 and would rather watch youtube all day than television.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Achievement unlocked: I replaced the batteries in both of my flinkers. I had thought that the dealership had to do that because they'd lose their programming when the battery was removed. Nope. No harder than changing a smartphone battery.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is a flinker a keyfob?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Google tells me it is an object that neither sinks nor floats.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:24 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:52 pm My dad is 73 and he refuses to entertain the idea of streaming things on demand or using some type of DVR. I explain to him he can still watch all his shows, but he is just recording them in advance (ideally) or pushing a button and watching them when he wants. Nope. Instead, he's content to sit in front of the TV for hours and channel surf. I don't get it either.

My old man is 79 and would rather watch youtube all day than television.

My olde man ........................no wait, that's me. I feel the same.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm superfluous and that's okay. I sleep at night and play my pc all day.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to do that and vice versa too.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

:coffee: Early morning coffee and random Internet articles...

Some time ago there was a discussion on my local "Nextdoor" neighborhood about showering and if you wash every bit of your body every time. Polls shows there are people (like me) who just wash their hair and let everything else just happen. Some people were completely disgusted, which I found amusing. Stumbled across this article today that noted:
And fun fact: if you're washing your hair, it'll work double duty for your body, too. "Shampoo will actually wash the rest of your body passively—there's no need to take soap and specifically wash your arms, your legs, or your trunk," says Dr. Nazarian, who adds that using more soap on those areas will actually strip your skin's natural oils and dry them out.
Winter in Colorado already dries the heck out of my skin so feeling vindicated this morning. :dance:
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:39 am Achievement unlocked: I replaced the batteries in both of my flinkers. I had thought that the dealership had to do that because they'd lose their programming when the battery was removed. Nope. No harder than changing a smartphone battery.
Flinker? New one on me.

My car told me my "Fob battery is low" recently and I popped it open to see what kind of battery to pick up. I was surprised to see no battery and discovered I had to dig deeper to find it. Since I had a service already scheduled in a few days, I asked the dealer about it when I dropped off the car. They noted that they would happily replace it for me at no charge (other than the cost of the battery, of course) telling me then they would replace the fob if they damaged it in the process. I let them do the dirty deed, so still no achievement for me. Maybe next time! :(
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:07 am :coffee: Early morning coffee and random Internet articles...

Some time ago there was a discussion on my local "Nextdoor" neighborhood about showering and if you wash every bit of your body every time. Polls shows there are people (like me) who just wash their hair and let everything else just happen. Some people were completely disgusted, which I found amusing. Stumbled across this article today that noted:

Winter in Colorado already dries the heck out of my skin so feeling vindicated this morning. :dance:
Pits and parts, brother. Pits and parts.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:06 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:07 am :coffee: Early morning coffee and random Internet articles...

And feet.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:47 am Is a flinker a keyfob?
Yes. Wife swears that I invented that word and that she and I are the only ones who use it. I don't remember where I heard it, but I don't think I coined it. I forgot that it isn't a real word because I've been saying it forever.

In the olden days, taking a battery out of a flinker made it forget its programming, so it had to be rematched to your car.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Of course, of course, those bits too... didn't want to drift too far into TMI territory. :wink:

Oh, and a dear friend has Dirty Towel Phobia as well, they wash every towel after every use. :shock:
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just saw a feel good story where a church used $38,000 to buy people hospital debts for penny on the dollar and got $5.1 million worth and forgave it.

Can a person buy their own debt for cheap from a debt collector and forgive it? Ive got one little one still somehow that is little but I cant do till I pay the house off. Not even sure how I got it or how it was possible

EDIT: NM you cant...UNLESS you buy in bulk thereby making yourself a debt collector hehe.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mom DVR’d the National Dog Show, and the kids were watching it after dinner.

The announcer; as they were judging one of the long haired breeds: “If the judge picks through all that hair and only finds one eye, he’s got the wrong end of the dog.”

That dude owes my mom a new monitor. :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:14 am Due to deaths the local police are fussing about people talking on their phones in the car. I used to think hands free would help but the more I think on it I dont see talking on the phone in the car as being smart no matter how you do it. You're still talking on a phone while you should be driving. Do they allow doctors to talk on the phone while performing surgery? Do race car drivers do it? Maybe airline pilots or anyone. you can do it safely while doing anything else. I think they should ban all phone use in a car unless you are parked and the engine off.
I agree with you. Phones should be disabled in a car. Another problem I see is the video mapping in a car. Great for finding some place (well, not always) but it also takes your eyes off the road.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There has never been such a thing as 'distraction free' driving. Ever. Did everybody pull over to tune their radio? To fast forward the cassette to the song they wanted? Reading while driving is idiotic, but people go so far as to talk about not engaging in conversation with the passenger. That's absurd.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I find in my advanced years if I do anything other than watch the road full time I start to drift to the side of the road.
This morning I had some vallium before driving. I was lucky to get home alive.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Even tho I'm 70 years olde if I had the money and the room I'd still be putting Lego sets together if I could.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember when you were 60. I know you cant remember that but its ok. :) I remember when I was 30...now Im 50. I think Im 25. Or I did before that fall and busted my wrists and hands good. Now Im know I in for lots of pain & uselessness if I fall on them again.