Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Im drinking this while reading the thread.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

if anyone can recommend a better brand than this, i am interested

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You might try making your own.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:51 pm if anyone can recommend a better brand than this, i am interested

Virgil's Handcrafted Root Beer is what you're looking for.

Enlarge Image

You can use their 'Find Us' page to locate stores that sell it in your area.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just fucking peachy. The mortgage place pulled TWO autodrafts on me. One on the correct day of the 10th and the money was there as is normal. That left me with $10 in that bank to cover the bank fee for the month. Then on the 11th..yesterday...they hit it with ANOTHER full payment. Its sitting there pending with nearly MINUS $500. SO now there will be a $40 over draft fee to boot. I called them but the only one they can see is the normal one on the 10th because it went through. They cant see the pending one.

So what to do? They say wait until tomorrow and see if its passed or whatever. Then call them again to see if they can see it. Then I...MYSELF...have to do all the work for their mistake and go get copies from a bank I cant go inside of and then have that faxed from a fax machine I dont know where from to them and hope they resolve it and repay me. All before next month because if I stick next months payment in there the bank will eat that for my balance, charge me the draft fee, THEN I still wont have money for the normal autodraft.

If its not resolved Im not putting anything in there and they wont be getting payments until its fixed....Ill skip the Aug or Sept one since they're trying to steal it anyways. And yet I still dont know why this happened. SO could happen again.

EDIT: Im on hold wit hthe bank seeing if anything they can do. But to talk to someone they want you to enter your FULL SS# or bank acc#. No way Im doing my full SS# so did bank.Then it wanted my banking PIN #..Fuck that. Fucking place. I said "speak to human" and its transferred me to a line to wait. Weee. What stupidity to want that info. Uhh NO.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ewww no...Virgils handcrafted is plain awful . You want Virgils Bavarian Nutmeg in the stopper top bottles. Someone bought Virgils and have ruined the normal bottle stuff.

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I asked the new property manager for my apartment building to check on the state of the security deposit they were supposed to put on my account after I moved within the same building in April. He then sent me this laughably bad “ledger sheet” that was supposed to show that I’d already used that credit. I mean, he had it entered once as a debit and once as a credit. He then added an additional full months rent to one month. I was incredulous. This was like the work of a 9 year old trying to get away with something. When I politely, but firmly told him it did not, in fact, show that I had used the security deposit credited to me, but that rather it showed numerous faulty logic, he told me he’d had have their accountant explain it to me better.

I just received an email from the accountant simply telling me I had not used the credited amount after all.

I wonder if it was a deliberate attempt to cheat me or a mistake by someone who shouldn’t be in accounting? I lean towards the latter because it was so ridiculously bad. :?
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The more I brood on this mortgage shit company the more pissed I am and the more stupid it is. They will be able to see they screwed up and took 2 payments from my bank. But they want ME to go to a bank I cant go in the lobby in and will have to use drive thru and my window dont work to get the same records showing they took 2 payments out. Then they want me to look the country over for a fax machine and on the cover page they want info like my name and the loan number and such and why Im asking for my own damn money back when they already have all that same info in their f'n computer. Its so damn stupid.

I live in a country of stupid on a world of dumb.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

(1) You can call your bank and make an appointment to meet with people inside. You can likely also tell them what you need and they can have it for you when you arrive.

(2) Alternatively, you can get all your banking information online and then print it to PDF

(3) From here you can email your mortgage company the documents they want directly or if they're still insisting you fax them, you can send a fax online. I guess it might technically be a facsimile of a facsimile. Someone here likely knows a site to use.

When we bought our current house I never provided more documentation in my whole life, but it was all done from my PC. Let the magic internet box do the work for you. It wants to help.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm Ewww no...Virgils handcrafted is plain awful . You want Virgils Bavarian Nutmeg in the stopper top bottles. Someone bought Virgils and have ruined the normal bottle stuff.

Enlarge Image
Perhaps. It has been quite some time since I last drank it, though I do recall throughly enjoying it when I did. YMMV.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well spoke to both place on that overdraft. The bank is very helpful and will have all the paperwork ready for me to simply pick up in the drive thru tomorrow. The mortgage place will most likely take their sweet time about refunding me. I told them to cancel the autodraft and they wont get a payment from me until I get the refund. Stealing is wrong folks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lol theres a guy on Twitch named robeytech building a Golden Girls themed pc.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Virgils is a tasty root beer.

here are some other root beers I have enjoyed tremendously, besides the previously mentioned Jack Blacks Dead Red and Virgils

Bundaberg Root Beer
Sioux City Root Beer
Caruso's Root Beer
Maine Root Beer Soda
Sprecher Root Beer Soda

And for related Soda

Sioux City Sassparilla
Boylan Birch Beer

I really did try my hardest to drink all hundred different kinds of root beer at that shop. I didn't make it, but I tried more than 50 different kinds.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

AC running before 09:00. That's not a good sign for the day.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:53 am AC running before 09:00. That's not a good sign for the day.
Be thankful you have a time of day when the AC stops. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:56 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:53 am AC running before 09:00. That's not a good sign for the day.
Don't you keep your AC pretty cold?
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:56 am Be thankful you have a time of day when the AC stops. :)
I live far enough north that I'm thankful I have a good gas connection and the energy to push a snowblower in the winter. It's harder to be thankful maintaining AC and a lawn in the summer. (I will eventually have to replace this unit that does run far too much and goes through too much refrigerant (that is no longer allowed to be manufactured) to do for the heat I would otherwise bear. I'm not looking forward to that, though it likely will cut my summer electric bill immensely)
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 am
Suppose that is relative. 74F during the day. 70F at night. Of course it doesn't actually get to 70F until about 11pm and it is up to 74F by 8am.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:18 am
Suppose that is relative. 74F during the day. 70F at night. Of course it doesn't actually get to 70F until about 11pm and it is up to 74F by 8am.

Heh, When I wasn't work WFH, I was 80 during the day and 75 at night/morning. Now I'm 75 all day all night.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoke again to the mortgage company last night. Still wanted all the paper work even though they have all that same info in their computers. Stupid company.

Today I get up and check my bank online to see if Ive been hit with the fee...I have. But also the mortgage company has already refunded the payment. No idea as Ive not even gotten paperwork to send them. So guess they decided its best to fix it now. Shrug. They did NOT pay my overdraft fee. I called the girl I spoke to yesterday at the bank and she went in and simply removed that fee for me and printed up all the paper work just in case. I told her thanks and Ill be over to pick that up for records keeping. I just dont trust that mortgage place.

So it 'seems' to be taken care of! Lucky too as any day now my normal $5 account fee with post and Id be another $36 in the hole. Still no clue as to why this happened. I told the mortgage place to turn off autodraft. Ill do it myself from now on.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm at 79 when I'm not home (or on hot days when the sun is really out), 76 in the mornings/evenings when I am home, and 74 at night for sleeping.

My AC ran for 4 hours yesterday, though it was a cooler/rainy day. Most it's run in the last 10 days is 7 hours.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:46 am
I'm at 79 when I'm not home (or on hot days when the sun is really out), 76 in the mornings/evenings when I am home, and 74 at night for sleeping.

My AC ran for 4 hours yesterday, though it was a cooler/rainy day. Most it's run in the last 10 days is 7 hours.
Our house is never empty anymore - pandemic and all. The upper floor generally gets to 77-78 during the day despite being set at 74. We can't sleep when it is above 74 despite having ceiling fans in every room. Everyone sleeps well at 70, so that is where we set it. During the winter, the night time setting is 60. We sleep really, really well during the winter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:46 am

Overnight low was 81. AC ran for 24 hours yesterday and many of the days before that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:27 am The upper floor generally gets to 77-78 during the day despite being set at 74. We can't sleep when it is above 74 despite having ceiling fans in every room. Everyone sleeps well at 70, so that is where we set it.
That's kinda me, only I live in a small ranch. If I had floors and such, I might be thinking about zones for cooling in my house, depending on refrigerant consumption and electric usage. Keeping my house at 75 keeps one are very cool and the rest of the house well above but it probably keeps my bedroom between 75 and 78 and I have a difficult time sleeping when it gets out of that range. I actually close vents in my house and keep the basement door closed in an attempt to keep the cool air where things need to be cool. Despite that, when nights don't cool off to below 80 my AC will run 24/7 trying to keep the thermostat area at 75 or below. A not subtle reminder that it's past time for replacement. (I'm impressed that it's 82 out right now and my air is actually taking a break. We'll see how long that lasts for)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I used to keep ours set like that, and would personally prefer to do so again, but Michelle works outdoors - heavy physical work. In the summer that often means 90+ degrees with a 100+ heat index at 70% humidity. She's perpetually balanced on the edge of heat stroke, and heat exhaustion is a regular thing. When she gets home, she starts feeling sick if it is higher than the mid 70s During the day we set it to 68, which keeps the house around 75.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have a window ac on one end of the house and a barely working window ac in this end here in the bedroom / pc / tv room. Its old and little and for some reason will freeze up and stop blowing any air. Then I have to turn it off for an hour or so and let the ice melt and break away then it works again for a while. Its done this for a few years. The filter is perfectly clean so dont know why it does it. The one on the other side is as small as this one as it was supposed to be a replacement for this one. When this one started acting up 7 years or so ago we got it to have ready. But then our big one in that end suddenly died and it had to take it's place a few years back.I keep a fan blowing on me in here too and if its over 90 I still am warm to hot at times. The tv and pc and light warms this room up. But better than nothing. Lucky they worked better years ago as my wife needed more cooling with her health worse than me.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Where you have your AC set varies widely based on type of residence, climate, etc. Cooling a condo or apartment is very different from cooling single story house is very different from cooling a multi-story house. Cooling a house built in the last 20 years is very different from cooling a house built 100 years ago. And that doesn't even get into the potential variances in thermostat readings . . . .
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When the wind blows fast I get a good breeze through the walls :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Stash of 30+ year old beer and gum found in library.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/us/beer- ... index.html

A stash of beer and gum that dates back to the 1980s was discovered hidden behind the shelves of a Washington library .
During the demolition three weeks ago, five full cans of Hamm's beer and an opened pack of Godzilla Heads gum was found in a disintegrated paper bag, Wells said. Facilities Maintenance Specialist, Luis Cuellar found the odd treasure when he removed a seven foot tall corner panel on some open top shelving believed to be original to the 1970s building.

With some packaging clues, such as a missing warning label required on beer after the late 80's, library staff calculated that the hidden stash had to have been there for at least 30 years.
Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:25 pm Where you have your AC set varies widely based on type of residence, climate, etc. Cooling a condo or apartment is very different from cooling single story house is very different from cooling a multi-story house. Cooling a house built in the last 20 years is very different from cooling a house built 100 years ago. And that doesn't even get into the potential variances in thermostat readings . . . .
As one who lives in a house built ~130 years ago, this is very true. The rooms aren't arranged for airflow. The windows leak. The vents leak. The walls leak (yes, really - there are places you can feel an airflow in the winter.) The walls are plaster over solid brick on the outside, so there's no insulation. We live on the upper story of the house. The downstairs is two apartments, one of which has been vacant for a decade, so it's a ball of hot air designed to leak upward through the floors. After 17 years here, I still I have no idea what's in the attic. The one time we tried to look through the hatch it started raining brown recluses. No more of that. What I do know is that there are holes in the roof leading to the attic big enough to admit raccoons the size of sedans and opossums the size of raccoons the size of sedans. I doubt there's much up there to keep the air in.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Meanwhile, in Blackhawk's attic...

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haha I know that breeze feeling. My curtains wave around in winter. And theres storm windows on this thing.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i live in a converted-to-1-bdrm-apartment upper floor of a house. to the north and south are storage crawl spaces that happen to line up with the edge of the roof, and these are exceptionally drafty. i need to stuff up the gaps to these areas with blankets and pillows in the winter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:25 pm Cooling a house built in the last 20 years is very different from cooling a house built 100 years ago.
You don't need centuries to see a difference.

I went from a 2200 sq ft single story with one central air unit built in 1999 to a 3800 sq ft two story with upstairs and downstairs central air units built in 2008 and my electric usage went down. I was kind of amazed as I was expecting a significant increase.

Of course now that my AC units are 11 years old and in need of replacing all those savings go out the window as I need to place two higher efficiency AC units.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My daughter came into my office to tell me something and halfway through her sentence, stopped. Genuinely surprised, she asked why I had a bunch of My Chemical Romance CDs on my desk.

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Physical media? We should call an archaeologist!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:52 pm Physical media? We should call an archaeologist!
:clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pffft. I have a 6 CD changer in my car!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:01 pm Pffft. I have a 6 CD changer in my car!
My wife always hated when I called her that.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter