Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Random randomness

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:38 pm
stessier wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:25 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:33 am (All I see above is a circle with a minus sign. I can make one of those.)
Hmmm, I thought I had figured out how to share photos. Guess I just have to provide links instead.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fLt8Emexdiw8xZjg8
It worked fine for me. Kraken probably has some security feature blocking it.
Same result in Firefox and Chrome. uBlock doesn't show anything blocked.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Today I learned that Amazon Prime is regional. If I use my Amazon account to log onto amazon.ca, I have a Prime membership. If I use the same account to log onto amazon.com, I do not.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:56 pm Today I learned that Amazon Prime is regional. If I use my Amazon account to log onto amazon.ca, I have a Prime membership. If I use the same account to log onto amazon.com, I do not.
IIRC, Amazon.ca prime is about 20% cheaper than Amazon prime.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Same result in Firefox and Chrome. uBlock doesn't show anything blocked.

Ditto
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, the last time I checked, the monthly fee for Prime here is CAD $7.99/month. Between the savings in shipping costs, free monthly Prime subscription on Twitch, access to Prime Video and Music, it's a pretty good deal.

I just never realized that it was restricted to amazon.ca until today. I ordered a gift for an American friend's baby shower and was surprised to see that Amazon was trying to sign me up for a Prime subscription when I already had one. :lol:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Remember the 90s when a lot of places had eateries in them? Me and my wife loved the little diners in places like Walmart, Kmart, and even the food store Bi-Lo. Kmart actually had really great hamburgers. Theres still a few places around but not many like once. Guess they were a fad. Food City(used to be Bi-Lo) still has a little place to eat in their deli area. Cookes a hometown food store has a place to eat. Its not the same as the old days though.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

They are still around at least in California. Most Safeways around SF Bay Area have seating sections, if it's big enough to have one. Many have a mini-bank and a Starbucks too. Given most Safeway have soup and sandwich, and many have salad bar and some even Asian entrees you can buy by the pound, it's basically an eatery in all but name.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Department store lunch counters go way back. I remember eating at a couple with my mom when I was a child, and we'd go into the city to shop at Wurzburg's and Herpolsheimers. Kinda nice to see the concept still hanging on. Even as retail is passing away, shoppers gotta eat.

Don't get me started on soda fountains.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember the Woolworth eateries in their stores. Food was good. Many smaller department stores followed the same patterns, not counting the corner drugstores.
Personally I liked those days, but then again I'm a white male.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh ya as a kid and my wife as a kid both ate at the store fountains. Kresge's, Revco, Woolworths.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:36 pm Department store lunch counters go way back. I remember eating at a couple with my mom when I was a child, and we'd go into the city to shop at Wurzburg's and Herpolsheimers. Kinda nice to see the concept still hanging on. Even as retail is passing away, shoppers gotta eat.

Don't get me started on soda fountains.
I find this interesting as I never heard of the store before and I was stationed in Wurzburg Germany while in the army.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For the last couple days its been cooler here for the low. Down into the 30s and 40s. And someone in this little valley smells like they are burning pure plastic in their fire. UGH.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:53 pm Remember the 90s when a lot of places had eateries in them? Me and my wife loved the little diners in places like Walmart, Kmart, and even the food store Bi-Lo. Kmart actually had really great hamburgers. Theres still a few places around but not many like once. Guess they were a fad. Food City(used to be Bi-Lo) still has a little place to eat in their deli area. Cookes a hometown food store has a place to eat. Its not the same as the old days though.
Have you been to Ikea? Their cafeterias are actually good, and the pricing is reasonable (probably a loss-leader).

The Target stores around here also have a cafe, although it's more like a coffee shop with sandwiches than a real cafeteria.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The nearest IKEA to me is 125 miles. So no :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, my oldest dog has lost it. Yesterday I watched him running circles around the back yard.
He had forgotten where he got back in the house. I went out to the porch so he could see me and figure out how to get in. I can't call him cause he's deaf.
He came running over but couldn't get up the stairs so I had to get him.
The thing is he's still living a happy life so I won't put him down.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:53 pm Remember the 90s when a lot of places had eateries in them? Me and my wife loved the little diners in places like Walmart, Kmart, and even the food store Bi-Lo. Kmart actually had really great hamburgers. Theres still a few places around but not many like once. Guess they were a fad. Food City(used to be Bi-Lo) still has a little place to eat in their deli area. Cookes a hometown food store has a place to eat. Its not the same as the old days though.
Nowadays, it's the food courts. Somehow, these things still manage to hang on despite everything around them. We have a local mall that's a skeleton of its former self, with more than half the mall being empty due to high rent. When the major anchor store closed down many years ago due to a national bankruptcy, the mall was never able to recover. Yet the food court is always buzzing with activity. It's kind of strange to see a half-empty mall where people still go to eat food.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:02 pm
Nowadays, it's the food courts. Somehow, these things still manage to hang on despite everything around them. We have a local mall that's a skeleton of its former self, with more than half the mall being empty due to high rent. When the major anchor store closed down many years ago due to a national bankruptcy, the mall was never able to recover. Yet the food court is always buzzing with activity. It's kind of strange to see a half-empty mall where people still go to eat food.
Probably because it's ideal for groups who can't decide what to eat. They can all go and order from different places and eat together.

Stand alone food halls are starting to become a thing again, too.
Hodor.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Marina Sirtis (Troi from TNG) just announced on Twitter that her husband passed away last night.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So, how many people had to go look her up and see if she was married to Rene Auberjonois?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:11 pm Marina Sirtis (Troi from TNG) just announced on Twitter that her husband passed away last night.
Wow young. Terrible news. They always seemed so happy and in love.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Rene Auberjonois has also passed away, it seems.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well Im stuffed . Mac & Cheese with soy sauce and some green beans.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:07 pm

There is a thing near my house. Its a big barn thing, that serves soft and hard drinks and has a big seating area. Outside is a parking lot that holds 4 or 5 food trucks.
Thats the stchick, its a gathering area for food trucks. I have no idea if the trucks rotate or whatever.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:07 pm

There is a thing near my house. Its a big barn thing, that serves soft and hard drinks and has a big seating area. Outside is a parking lot that holds 4 or 5 food trucks.
Thats the stchick, its a gathering area for food trucks. I have no idea if the trucks rotate or whatever.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Double Prizes!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:07 am
Have you been to Ikea? Their cafeterias are actually good, and the pricing is reasonable (probably a loss-leader).

The Target stores around here also have a cafe, although it's more like a coffee shop with sandwiches than a real cafeteria.
Whole Foods has a food bar/sandwich counter/pizza bar. They also have a seating area. And they also have a regular bar with beer. Ours used to have a wine bar too but that got turned into the Prime Fresh processing area. You can buy a beer or wine and then drink it while you shop. You know, so you forget you are paying $5/lb for broccoli crowns.

I vaguely remember getting slushies at some store's lunch counter when I was a kid. Kmart or Hudson's or something.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

KMart used to have the Icee monopoly when I was a kid.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Everywhere around here has them from gas stations to Subway to the local movie theater. Sometimes I get them there so I dont hit the pee room so many times during a movie. I used to go twice a movie but later with the icee type things I dont have to until the end. That or I hurt all the way home.

Post by Default »

Estimates for this week suggest that I will end up working 84 hours this week.

Eighty fucking four.

And the next two weeks may push that envelope even further.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Make sure you get the knee replacements before you retire.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Default wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:36 pm Estimates for this week suggest that I will end up working 84 hours this week.

Eighty fucking four.

And the next two weeks may push that envelope even further.
Happy holidays?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After joking about it in a stream tonight I now wish there was a movie called Don of the Dead. It would be about the 1930s mafia vs the undead.

"I did not kill him. There he is roaming the yard" ...or "We'z got some zombie folk here boss...shoot'm boys"...*tommyguns call out*

Someone get Pegg on this.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Small mortgage related question. My mortgage payment is auto drawn fro ma bank account. But I dont get any kind of receipt other than the bank showing the name of the place that withdrew it. Should I be getting a email or something as a receipt? I mean I feel like they are getting free money without me having somehow to show what that was for. Wouldn't hurt if I had a running total of whats left to pay and such right? Or is this standard?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:35 am Small mortgage related question. My mortgage payment is auto drawn fro ma bank account. But I dont get any kind of receipt other than the bank showing the name of the place that withdrew it. Should I be getting a email or something as a receipt? I mean I feel like they are getting free money without me having somehow to show what that was for. Wouldn't hurt if I had a running total of whats left to pay and such right? Or is this standard?
It's generally all online these days. I get an email when a payment is made and have to log into the app or web site if I want to see the details. There should be an option to get a paper statement and you should absolutely get one early in the year for tax purposes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:42 am
Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:35 am Small mortgage related question. My mortgage payment is auto drawn fro ma bank account. But I dont get any kind of receipt other than the bank showing the name of the place that withdrew it. Should I be getting a email or something as a receipt? I mean I feel like they are getting free money without me having somehow to show what that was for. Wouldn't hurt if I had a running total of whats left to pay and such right? Or is this standard?
It's generally all online these days. I get an email when a payment is made and have to log into the app or web site if I want to see the details. There should be an option to get a paper statement and you should absolutely get one early in the year for tax purposes.
This. I believe I had to set up my online account so that I would receive confirmation of payment - and possibly the mortgage statement. It's not all on by default. You definitely will be able to find the info you want on their website. And you should be able to request an email. You also may even be able to request paper statements if you'd like.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Mounds Theatre in St. Paul won't be staging A Klingon Christmas Carol this year. Instead, they're performing It's an Honorable Life... the Klingon version of It's a Wonderful Life.

love it. :lol:

Too bad I don't live near that area or I'd go.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:34 am College Board. The organization responsible for administering the SAT test.

My eldest is a senior this year, so it is time for his SATs. I registered with collegeboard.org several months ago for the December 7th test date. I paid the $80, which is (to us, at least) a great deal of money. When I did, the site said that the testing center would be determined later. Five days ago I went to print out his ticket and it still listed the testing center as 'see below', with nothing below. I called them to ask where the testing center was. The person I talked to was incomprehensible. I don't mean that they had an accent, I mean that I honestly couldn't tell if they were speaking English. I had to ask them to repeat every question three or four times. Some I know I answered wrong, because I couldn't tell what they were asking. After ten minutes, I was put on hold and transferred. The second representative was similar, and kept saying something about 'accommodations', but I still don't know what. They transferred me again. On hold for 15 minutes, they hung up.

I called back. I talked to one person, got transferred, and was hung up on again.

Finally, the third time, I was put in contact with the right people and got the five-second answer.

College Board emailed me to remind me of the date he was registered. They texted me to remind me. I double checked everything on his admission ticket to make sure it was all correct. I spoke to the teacher who was administering the test. Everything was in place. My son prepared heavily, every day, and was extremely stressed about it. Being autistic, this has a big impact on him, and the past week has been terrible for him. Still, he was ready for his test today. He went in, presented his ticket, showed his ID... and they didn't have him in the system. They showed him as registered, but the College Board forgot to enter him into the actual test computer. He wasn't allowed to take the test. He was upset, the teacher at his school is pissed, and we're pissed. We're not sure if we can get the date changed or our money back, even though it was their mistake. And I'm looking at more time with their 'support' to find the answer. A five second, easy answer took me an hour. This? I don't even want to think about it.

And it seems that this is normal for the organization. The BBB shows them at one star. They're famous for bad support, high prices, compromised security, refusing to answer complaints, losing test scores, and have had multiple class action lawsuits filed against them.

And there are no alternatives. This isn't some contracted company, this is the official non-profit set up by the colleges to administer these tests, which are essentially mandatory. It's shameful.

And, since they don't seem fazed by complaints, and because there doesn't seem to be any oversight over them, there is nothing that parents can do. They're at the mercy of this organizaiton.
Man, that really sucks. Hope you can get this worked out with minimal effort...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
stessier

Post by stessier »

hentzau wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:25 am minimal effort...
Sure seems like that ship sailed long ago.

Good luck Blackhawk!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The BBB is Yelp for old people.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always thought the high school did these.