Watch out Kindle, here comes the iPhone

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Watch out Kindle, here comes the iPhone

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wired
ScrollMotion, a New York mobile app developer, has concluded deals with a number of major publishing houses, and is in talks with several others, to produce newly released and best-selling e-books as applications for the iPhone and iPod touch.
The first official books will begin to roll out Monday and include titles such as Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight," Philip Pullman's "The Golden Compass" and a number of others by Christopher Paolini, Brad Meltzer and Scott Westerfeld.
Each book is a separate application using Scroll Motion's new reader technology called Iceberg and is wrapped only in the FairPlay iTunes DRM, putting Apple directly into the e-book business by allowing them to pick up a certain percentage of each sale.
Unlike other e-book applications, each title keeps the same pagination as the print book, while still allowing the reader to zoom in and scroll down as well as skipping ahead with a feature called "Book Skim." Current functionality also includes note taking, text search and the ability to purchase additional books using a recommendation service over a Wi-Fi connection.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lee

Re: Watch out Kindle, here comes the iPhone

Post by Lee »

You don't understand what the Kindle is all about if you think that compares.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

To me, the Kindle is about reading books in a portable fashion. I am much more likely to use the device that I already carry around to do so than shelling out several hundred dollars for a dedicated device if there is a hybrid that is cheaper with a truckload more memory.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Isgrimnur wrote:To me, the Kindle is about reading books in a portable fashion. I am much more likely to use the device that I already carry around to do so than shelling out several hundred dollars for a dedicated device if there is a hybrid that is cheaper with a truckload more memory.
Reading on an iPhone is like reading on a Palm Pilot, which sucks. Small screen with back lighting. The whole point of the Kindle is to have a readable portable ebook device. eInk is head and shoulders above reading on a small device like an iPhone.

Still its cool they are doing it, but I would never use it for that.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Count me in as interested. My wife already has an iPhone and I'm getting one early next year. While I appreciate the more readable screen of the Kindle, I simply can't afford a dedicated ebook reader. This would be an excellent compromise.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lee wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:To me, the Kindle is about reading books in a portable fashion. I am much more likely to use the device that I already carry around to do so than shelling out several hundred dollars for a dedicated device if there is a hybrid that is cheaper with a truckload more memory.
Reading on an iPhone is like reading on a Palm Pilot, which sucks. Small screen with back lighting. The whole point of the Kindle is to have a readable portable ebook device. eInk is head and shoulders above reading on a small device like an iPhone.

Still its cool they are doing it, but I would never use it for that.
As a first generation device, I think the Kindle has promise, but again, in this day and age, dedicated devices aren't going to hold up well. The reason that the Kindle is being successful, I feel, is partially due to great marketing. It's an Amazon product, which has a great name in the market, and hsa been endorsed by some heavy weight people such as Oprah.

Current sales estimates for the Kindle are 250k. The install base of the iPhone is over 10 million.
One thing that's helped the Kindle is marketing. Where other readers failed to connect with consumers, the Kindle has excelled. The media-savvy Bezos has hardly been publicity shy, gaining his electronic toy a level of exposure most CEOs couldn't begin to fathom.

"You can't discount the prominence of having Amazon behind this," says Paul Reynolds, technology editor at Consumer Reports. "Jeff Bezos is respected for what he's done with Amazon, and if he feels this is a future product in media, people are willing to trust him."

Second, the gadget has been heralded by Oprah Winfrey, whose influence in the publishing world is immense. It's also been embraced by some prominent writers, including Nobel laureate Toni Morrison and best-selling thriller author James Patterson.

Third, with more and more consumers accustomed to reading text on their cell phones and BlackBerrys, the world finally may be ready for an electronic version of a book.
Note the third point. If the iPhone vector becomes a substantial competitor, the Kindle's success will be enough to foster more innovation, never a bad thing for geeks like us. I'm not saying that this is the end of the Kindle, but convenience and cost (especially now) are factors that a lot of people consider.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Seriously, Isg, if you're comparing that to a Kindle, you need to play around with a Kindle for, oh, about 10 minutes. After that you'll understand why it won't compete.

Kindle, ridiculous price point and all, is here to stay. They're one of the scarcest holiday gift items going this year, and that's going to translat to market dominance for the foreseeable future.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

FWIW, I've been enjoying reading "A Christmas Carol" on my iPhone (a free download from the app store, along with other classics).

I haven't tried the Kindle. I'm sure it's superior in a number of respects. But the portability and number-of-devices-reduction factor makes me more interested in the iPhone version.
Popehat, a blog.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

The thing that you can't understand about Kindle until you've used one (and I don't have one, two friends do, and one let me borrow hers for a weekend) is that it's easier to read than an actual book. That's the thing, right there. I found it easier to read in bed, on the train, or just out and about than books themselves. An iPhone (which I do own) is not easier to read than a book by any means. I get eyestrain from the iPhone pretty rapidly, just texting friends.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Wait a second, Steve Jobs told me that there was no market here. :lol: ;)

But yeah, I'd rather club myself over the head than read books on my phone. Is it physically possible? Sure but that doesn't make it "convergence". I tolerate reading long emails on it because of convenience, but I could never see myself doing it out of enjoyment. I most certainly would buy the paper before I bought it on my phone.

The Kindle is the nigh-perfect travel companion (perfect is too strong a word for a device that could definitely use a better look, some UI enhancements and a lower price). e-Ink is zero stress on the eyes, the battery lasts a week or more without charge, and I have an incredible library to choose from instantaneously. The iPhone can really only compete on the last item. IMHO, of course.

What wouldn't surprise me is for Jobs to make this an opportunity to build his own Kindle device (get publishers engaged, his customers talking, etc.). But I certainly don't think that he can realistically view any of the iPod/phone line as a potential book killer.
Last edited by The Preacher on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For some people, that may be a big consideration. For myself, I spend the majority of my day staring at LCD monitors, my iPhone, and my flatscreen TV with no issues. The readability of e-ink takes a back seat to other considerations.

My God, you would think I called for a Kindle-burning party....
Lee

Post by Lee »

Isgrimnur wrote: My God, you would think I called for a Kindle-burning party....
No its just fun pointing out when you are wrong. :)
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Isgrimnur wrote:For some people, that may be a big consideration. For myself, I spend the majority of my day staring at LCD monitors, my iPhone, and my flatscreen TV with no issues. The readability of e-ink takes a back seat to other considerations.

My God, you would think I called for a Kindle-burning party....
No, you're just posting statements based on a fundamental ignorance of the essentials of your argument, and then rightfully getting called out on that.

Yes, the iPhone has 10m users. What percentage of that group is going to use their iPhone and the horribly limited battery life to read a book--especially one that has to be zoomed each page and then scrolled? If that answer is 1-2%, I'm dubious. That's the other flaw in your data argument. iPhoners may download the app and then grab a book or two to see what Iceberg is about, but the attach rate is going to be abysmal. 250k Kindle users, and you know how many of them use their Kindles for books? Know how many spend $350 on the thing and then only get one book or magazine subscription? The Kindle "attach" rate is huge.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I had about 40 ebooks on my old Palm Treo (well, they are still there I guess, although I don't use the device any longer). There are no shortage of reader software for Palm, Pocket PC, and, I imagine, the iPhone clones. Dedicated readers that size have been around even longer. The ebooks were all free ones. The only one I successfully read was a Shakespeare play, shortly before seeing it performed live. The amount of text on the screen was a small enough chunk to absorb speed reading. When I tried a more leisurely pace, however, it was hard to concentrate and focus; a half dozen other books were started but never finished. Eye strain became an issue very quickly. There's a reason ebooks in that form factor never caught on. "10 million iphone users" is puppies if 1 in 100,000 are actually reading books on the thing, whereas 100% of Kindle customers are using it for that purpose.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The essentials are dependent on what the attractive features are all about. The target groups of the iPhone app and the Kindle are not mutually exclusive. Your "essentials" are not essential to the entire target market. For me, it's mainly about the content.

What is the key reason to buy the Kindle? It isn't the e-ink technology for most people. It's the portability and availability of the reading material. And again, not everyone is bothered by eye strain on backlit devices.

Based on the numbers you provide, an attach rate of 2% on the iPhone is 200k, pretty close to your install base on the Kindle. I'm not saying this development is going to kill the Kindle or cannibalize a large base of the existing installs, but if it takes off, it will cannibalize some of the sales. Again, look at Mr. Fed's post about the device reduction factor. The Kindle is still a big device to be toting around when you already have a phone that can duplicate that function.

I'm speaking to this issue from factors that make sense to me, not ignorance of what the Kindle is or what it can do. As with most consumer purchases, people buy the same item for different reasons. My reasoning behind my decision is not any less valid than yours.

And I don't see much need to zoom with the photo attached to the article.

I rarely see this amount of vitriol outside of R&P.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There's nothing new about readers on PDAs (phones). What is groundbreaking is the distribution and DRM. Kindle did it and now it looks like the iPhone is doing it.

I have countless "books" I've bought from Amazon and other sellers over the years in various secured formats. Somewhere around zero still work on devices I currently use because of DRM and compatability issues. On the other hand, all the hacked versions of those same books I've subsequently downloaded stripped of DRM still work perfectly.

That's really the only appeal Kindle and possibly the iBook (can they call it that?) model have: forward compatability and usage rights. But it's a big deal.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote:There's nothing new about readers on PDAs (phones). What is groundbreaking is the distribution and DRM. Kindle did it and now it looks like the iPhone is doing it.

I have countless "books" I've bought from Amazon and other sellers over the years in various secured formats. Somewhere around zero still work on devices I currently use because of DRM and compatability issues. On the other hand, all the hacked versions of those same books I've subsequently downloaded stripped of DRM still work perfectly.

That's really the only appeal Kindle and possibly the iBook (can they call it that?) model have: forward compatability and usage rights. But it's a big deal.
What makes the AZW format different from the previous abandoned DRM methods?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:There's nothing new about readers on PDAs (phones). What is groundbreaking is the distribution and DRM. Kindle did it and now it looks like the iPhone is doing it.

What makes the AZW format different from the previous abandoned DRM methods?
Nothing other than widespread adoption and their investment in the Kindle. I get your point, though. I have more than a few dollars' worth of books in my digital locker at Amazon that are not longer available due to publisher/rights/support issues.

Adobe is still on my punch-in-the-face list for their terribly shitty DRM schemes of the early aughts.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Who says the two have to "compete?"

If you enjoy the Kindle, good for you. Some of us don't have $300 to blow on an ebook reader. This gives us an option to read books on a device we already own. It doesn't threaten your enjoyment of your Kindle, but it does give me an option I don't currently have.

The anger I'm sensing seems to come from a feeling of being threatened by the Apple juggernaut. I don't really understand that fear. The iPhone was not designed to be an e-ink device, and as such the Kindle will always have the upperhand in terms of readability. All this does is widen the market for ebooks and get them into more distribution channels, which is something even Kindle users will benefit from.
Lee

Post by Lee »

No anger or anything, just thought it was a silly comparison is all.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I own neither device, but would like both. There is a 0% chance that I would consider using an iPhone as a book reader. I can't knock them for adding the feature, BUT. No one is going to buy an iPhone because they can read books on it. If I am sitting in my mom's basement, wishing that I could read books, I'm going to be buying a Kindle. The decision isn't even close. Backlighting? What is this, the 20th century?

This will have no impact on Kindle. None. They just aren't in the same market. The Kindle is for serious people that want to read books. The iPhone isn't (and won't be). That doesn't mean it's not a nice feature for people that already have iPhones and as a result can no longer afford a Kindle.

No one is going to run out an buy an iPhone instead of a Kindle because it can read books on it's tiny backlit screen with 48 minutes of battery life.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:My God, you would think I called for a Kindle-burning party....
Isgrimnur wrote:I rarely see this amount of vitriol outside of R&P.
YellowKing wrote:The anger I'm sensing seems to come from a feeling of being threatened by the Apple juggernaut.
I think you are imagining the anger/vitriol. I didn't read any of it in the replies. Maybe it reads differently to me as I don't have a horse in this race. Both are overpriced to me. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Isgrimnur wrote:
I rarely see this amount of vitriol outside of R&P.
Shit, I can see purple leprechauns dancing in the sky if I squint hard enough.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

RunningMn9 wrote:That doesn't mean it's not a nice feature for people that already have iPhones and as a result can no longer afford a Kindle.
:D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, I guess me reacting to having my title dismissed out of hand and being called ignorant on the issue means I'm sensitive. I came here for a discussion...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:Yeah, I guess me reacting to having my title dismissed out of hand and being called ignorant on the issue means I'm sensitive. I came here for a discussion...
It appears that The Kindle fans have quickly become as fiercely loyal as Apple fans. If only there was a way to get a big bag of popcorn and then pit them against each other for my entertainment...

:lol:

Like I said earlier, if Apple does the distribution and DRM right, it will be a big deal. I call the iPhone a "24-hour Consumer Uplink to Ways to Spend Money." It allows users to do countless micro transactions for instant gratification. Bored in line or stuck waiting somewhere and all you need is a signal and a few bucks to download a book or periodical? People will do it.

I know I always keep the PDF version of SciAm on my 770 for reading in line or waiting for someone. Every PDA I've used had a library of books for such occasions. Little backlit screen or no.

Here's the thing. I was skeptical about the Kindle. I finally saw one in person a few weeks ago and I was quite impressed. It is a fantastic ebook. However, it's not something I would carry around in my pocket. It's probably something that would rarely leave my house.

On the other hand, the iPhone has few, if any, of the attributes of a great ebook reader. But is probably with its owner 90% of their waking hours.

I have neither. I see the benefits and drawbacks of both as book readers. The marketplace has room for iPhone books.

As for fun times outside of R&P, don't forget the Great Sirius v. XM (aka Stern v. O&A) Discussion.

MYT
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Isgrimnur wrote:Yeah, I guess me reacting to having my title dismissed out of hand and being called ignorant on the issue means I'm sensitive. I came here for a discussion...
Based on what I'm seeing in the thread, you do seem somewhat ingorant regarding the kindle and it's place in the world (which, if I was going to get one, would deliberately be a travel device - like taking one on the plane, on vacation, etc. Though Triggercut makes a compelling case for using it at home. But I'm not so there you go). And while some people might be fine reading on the iPhone, I believe the general points made have merit. Of course some will prefer to reade on the iphone, doing it all with one gadget, but I don;t think anyone disputes that.

Oh, and as for the title. . . it was sensationalistic, and I think people reacted to that. But I don't think it was a big deal or anything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Peacedog wrote:Based on what I'm seeing in the thread, you do seem somewhat ingorant regarding the kindle and it's place in the world
I had a long post to try and respond to this, but fuck it, I'm out.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I am a huge ebook reader. I've read hundreds of ebooks on my old Dell Axim PDA. While not optimal, I had no issue with it. I recently switched to a Sony Reader. It is a huge improvement over the PDA. I have no intention of going back, but reading on the PDA was fine for a number of years. As with most things Sony, the hardware is excellent and the software sucks.

My preference now is a dedicated ebook reader, but I have no issue with people reading on an iphone. I just want ebooks to become more popular overall because that is my preferred reading medium.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

My criticisms were not out of hand. I have had plenty of handheld devices for which ebooks were available, books that I have recently read on my Kindle (i.e. out-of-copyright classics). I've tried reading books on everything from my Palm V to my Storm and I'm always left wanting. I certainly see a marginal market for people reading on their handhelds (iPhone, iPod, Axim, Storm, whatever) while in line at the grocery store, but I believe that reading full length books is almost always going to be done in a larger format simply for ease of consumption (that includes page vs. font size, battery life, ease on eyes, etc.). If Jobs is using this as a stepping stone towards a larger format device (but not a laptop), then I think he has a good chance of challenging Amazon (one co-worker and I brainstormed the idea of using flexible displays that are connected via BT to an iPhone). But as a hardware strategy, I really don't see a 80% smaller format having long legs (I'm estimating that a iPhone has 6 sq.in. vs 30ish for a paperback).
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

But as a hardware strategy, I really don't see a 80% smaller format having long legs (I'm estimating that a iPhone has 6 sq.in. vs 30ish for a paperback).
It doesn't need to have long legs. The iPhone/iTunes is already a success, and that success doesn't hinge one iota on the sale of ebooks. All this is just gravy. Nobody is saying Apple is out to conquer the ebook market - they just want a slice of the pie.

It would be a mistake to underestimate the power of ten million well-established iPhone owners being given another option to spend money. There are a LOT of people who won't spend money on a dedicated ebook reading device, but will spend money on ebooks for a device they already own just because they can.

I don't think Isgrimnur's thread title was dramatic or exaggerated whatsoever. Kindle's main selling point has always been the ability to wirelessly purchase books online and download them directly to the device. Now there's a new player in town that can do the same thing, and it has the power of Apple/iTunes (and the associated installed customer base) behind it. The Kindle only sells in the US because it is tied to the proprietary Whispernet network. Imagine the iPhone when it goes worldwide, and people can buy books through 3G, its European counterpart, over personal/public wi-fi hotspots, etc. You honestly thing Amazon sees that as a non-issue? I don't believe it for a second.
Last edited by YellowKing on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote:Nobody is saying Apple is out to conquer the ebook market...
Titling the thread "Watch out Kindle" gives off that vibe. :ninja:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

They don't have to conquer the ebook market to give the Kindle serious competition. By selling books to only a minute fraction of their installed base, they can give Amazon a run for their money.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

YellowKing wrote:I don't think Isgrimnur's thread title was dramatic or exaggerated whatsoever.
No, it's just wrong. The iPhone doesn't compete with the Kindle, and this development doesn't change that. The Kindle is a device designed for those whose primary use of the device is to read books. To that end, it's feature set is completely and totally devoted to enhancing that experience. The iPhone is not designed *at all* around the experience of reading books. It *can* read books. And Apple would be foolish not to enable that as another vehicle to steal money from their customers.

But if John Q. Public, who has neither device, suddenly finds that he has a desire to read books electronically - there is no decision to be made. At least not between the Kindle and the iPhone. The Kindle will win 100% of the time. The only area where the iPhone could impact the Kindle at all is if someone already has an iPhone, now they may not need a Kindle.

But I still maintain that if I want to read books on an electronic device, a phone isn't going to cut it for anything other than a 5 or 6 minute sitting (which works for iPhone users, since they'll have to recharge anyway after such strenuous use).

What Isgrimnur missed (seemingly out of ignorance) is that the Kindle is, in many ways, superior to reading a physical book. On the contrary, the iPhone is, in most ways, inferior to reading a physical book. He underestimates the effect of that difference.

If he had simply noted that this will pour more money into Apple's underground bank vault, everyone would have agreed with him. But he didn't, he implied that this was going to have an effect on the Kindle. It won't.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

Merry Christmas! :csmile:
You complete me.
words
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Being accused of ignorance is an insult. I can handle being told that I'm ill-informed, off base, or just plain wrong, but to be accused of ignorance is something that angers me. I would like to think that I can debate and discuss a wide variety of topics in a calm and rational manner, but the tone that I feel coming the comments directed at me are beyond my ability to stomach.

So if you'll excuse me, I'll go indulge in my "ignorance" elsewhere...
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Popehat, a blog.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

There is certainly competitive danger from Ipod element to Kindle. Most arguments were already made for and against it. My prospective is, if i own ipod and was curious to read some e books on a train, i would consider kindle just for the lack of options, now i might get by on ipod. What iphone has is not advanced teach but the brand and huge marketing capabilitues. Will it affect true reader affecianados? it sure won't but it will affect casual reader who doesnt want to spend much money. Here is a plus for kindle, people who are with ipod never knew about e books even as format, might become aware of it and bot be satisfied with Apple, so they will get kindle. Right now it such a small market still, that any competition or in this case awareness, is a plus, for kindle and ipod reader. Its a win win. I dont see why there is such strong arguments about this.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Isgrimnur wrote:Being accused of ignorance is an insult.
No, it isn't, at least in the context with which I used it. Six months ago I was utterly ignorant as to what possible use/value the Kindle could possibly have. I hate reading text on a 20" monitor, and the idea of reading it on a smaller screen was something that just defied my comprehension. Then a few friends who commute a lot got them, and as mentioned elsewhere, I coaxed a weekend of use from one of them. Ignorant beforehand as to what the Kindle offered, after just a few minutes I understood completely why people who have one are so in love with them.

6 or 7 years ago when folks first started talking of the magic of their iPods, I didn't get that, either. Both devices are things that you have to hold in your hands and discover for yourself to truly appreciate what they do, and why what they do hooks users so deeply. Unrelated, but I think this is Amazon's biggest market penetration problem for the Kindle--they need to get them into stores so people who might be in their target demographic can see what they're about, because it defies easy description.

I can't understand how you're so upset by this. I was just pointing out that until you've spent a little time with a Kindle, you can't really make an informed comparison between what it does and what e-book software on an iPhone is capable of.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The only area where the iPhone could impact the Kindle at all is if someone already has an iPhone, now they may not need a Kindle.
And how is that an insignificant impact? Losing potential sales is losing potential sales, no matter how you slice it.
I was just pointing out that until you've spent a little time with a Kindle, you can't really make an informed comparison between what it does and what e-book software on an iPhone is capable of.
What about me, then? I'm fully aware of what a Kindle does. While I do not own one, I have seen it demoed and read about it extensively when it was launched. I own a Sony ebook reader so I'm perfectly aware of how digital ink screens are superior to iPhone-type screens. In addition, I have purchased and read ebooks on PC for years. There is absolutely no ignorance on my part about how a Kindle differs from an iPhone in terms of reading experience.

I'm not arguing that the iPhone's ebook reader will somehow be superior to the Kindle, and I don't think Isgrimnur is either. We're simply pointing out that there is a new force in the ebook market that has the potential to steal potential customers from the Kindle and cut a slice of the ebook profit pie. Even if 95% of iPhone owners never purchase an ebook, Apple has doubled Kindle's customer base. How is that sensationalistic? How is that an argument borne of ignorance?

Oh - check this out:
Forbes is reporting that the iPhone has become the country's top eBook reader. The claim is based upon the number of downloads of Stanza [App Store link], an ebook reader for the iPhone and iPod touch (395,000 and counting), versus the number of projected US Kindle sales (380,000).

For those unfamiliar with Stanza, it's a free application that lets users download books over the air, as does the Kindle. All of Stanza's offerings are free works in the public domain, and flipping pages is a breeze with the touch screen.
That's just a chintzy free ebook reader for shitty public domain titles. Now again, imagine an ebook reader app where users can buy bestselling titles directly off iTunes, and tell me Apple doesn't have a potential cash cow on their hands.