I want to take her face ... off!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

I want to take her face ... off!

Post by Isgrimnur »

A lot more drugs for that woman!
A horribly disfigured woman who lived like an outcast because of her appearance woke up Wednesday with a brand new face. The Cleveland Clinic announced it has performed the first ever face transplant operation in the U.S. - and the most radical makeover of its kind ever. Doctors replaced all but the woman's chin, lower lip, upper eyelids and forehead. The other 80% of her face was replaced with one donated from a female cadaver. They also grafted on facial nerves and muscles so the woman's new face functions - and is not just a mask.
Before the operation, the transplant patient - whose face was ruined by some kind of traumatic accident - could not smile or smell or taste. Now, she can, doctors said.
It is only the fourth face transplant ever.
The Cleveland patient is healing rapidly. Transplant recipients run the risk their bodies will reject their new faces, so they are sentenced to a lifetime of taking immune-suppressing drugs. A nasty side effect of these drugs is that it raises the odds of a patient coming down with cancer and other diseases.

Bioethicist Arthur Caplan said this is why face transplant patients need to know that assisted suicide is an option if the operation doesn't take. "If your face rejects, it would be a living hell," said Caplan, of the University of Pennsylvania.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Re: I want to take her face ... off!

Post by hepcat »

There but for the grace of god...

I hope her body accepts the transplant.
Covfefe!
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Isgrimnur wrote:Before the operation, the transplant patient - whose face was ruined by some kind of traumatic accident - could not smile or smell or taste. Now, she can, doctors said.
I understand smiling . . . but what does my face have to do with taste?
MHS

Post by MHS »

Fretmute wrote: I understand smiling . . . but what does my face have to do with taste?
Your face has a lot to do with good taste. ;)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

MHS wrote:
Fretmute wrote: I understand smiling . . . but what does my face have to do with taste?
He's so dreamy. :wub:
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

MHS wrote:
:oops:
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Fretmute wrote:
MHS wrote:
When my wife showed the pictures we took of Fret to her sisters as "here's the crazy internet dude that flew across the country to play video games" the first thing that came out of their mouths was, "Oooh. He's hot."

My wife, to her credit has not uttered those words. (out loud anyway)
18-1™ & 2-0
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I did get flashed by your daughter, though.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

She made me develop a poster of you from one of the pics we have and hang it in her room.
18-1™ & 2-0
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Fretmute wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Before the operation, the transplant patient - whose face was ruined by some kind of traumatic accident - could not smile or smell or taste. Now, she can, doctors said.
She didn't have a nose. No smelling = very little tasting.
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Fretmute wrote:
She didn't have a nose. No smelling = very little tasting.
I was under the impression that the nose just presented a passageway and some filters, and that the actual act of smelling was accomplished somewhere deeper in your head. Then again, I am an engineer.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Someday we'll find it, the smell-taste connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me.
Seventy to seventy-five percent of what we perceive as taste actually comes from our sense of smell. Taste buds allow us to perceive only bitter, salty, sweet, and sour flavors. It's the odor molecules from food that give us most of our taste sensation.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Hispanicgamer

Post by Hispanicgamer »

FTW!
commonsense1971 Dec 17, 2008 12:57:14 PM Report Offensive Post
i know alot of ugly people that would benifit from this
Now Playing:
MoH, Amnesia, Self
"Work to Live, Live to Play"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now they're just showing off...
But Spanish doctors say no previous operation compares to the feat performed at Vall d'Hebron Hospital in Barcelona last month.

The lead surgeon is calling it a "full face transplant" that included all of the donor's jaw, teeth and even bone behind the lips.

Doctors declined to share the name or age of the patient, saying only that he is a Spaniard who suffered severe disfigurement in an accident five years ago.

The injuries left him unable to swallow, speak or breathe properly. Nine previous surgeries failed to help him, the hospital said in a statement.

Under Dr. Joan Pere Barret, a team of 30 doctors transferred skin and muscles, nose, lips, palate, teeth, cheekbones and the jaw. The team used both plastic surgery and micro-neurovascular reconstructive surgery techniques.
ohbalto

Post by ohbalto »

I'm not sure how you have a thread like this without before and after pictures.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ohbalto wrote:I'm not sure how you have a thread like this without before and after pictures.
You had to go and say it, didn't you?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spanish patient has pictures here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Spanish patient has pictures here.
Wow. Fascinating, the large discrepancy in skin tone.

Thanks for posting.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Trent Steel wrote:
Fretmute wrote:
MHS wrote:
When my wife showed the pictures we took of Fret to her sisters as "here's the crazy internet dude that flew across the country to play video games" the first thing that came out of their mouths was, "Oooh. He's hot."

My wife, to her credit has not uttered those words. (out loud anyway)
He kinda looks like a stick figure to me? /shrug
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Two years later... (pics at the link)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now the US military is looking for volunteers:
Over the past decade face transplant surgeries have been done in civilian hospitals, but it has been the U.S. Defense Department, with its obvious interest in such reconstructive surgery, that has been picking up much of the tab.

As part of this work, service members, inactive troops and retirees with facial wounds or injuries serious enough that they might consider face transplant surgery are invited to contact Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for an evaluation.

Since the first face transplant was performed in France nearly a decade ago, 24 such surgeries have been done in the United States, according to the U.S. military’s website, Armed With Science.
There is one relatively tame pic of a fully-healed recipient at the bottom, but nothing else even remotely objectionable at the link.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if the military has plans to replace important people with face plant spies?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Going the mask route is probably still a lot easier and cheaper.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Firefighter recipient - Pics at the link.
A volunteer firefighter badly burned in a 2001 blaze has received the most extensive face transplant ever, covering his skull and much of his neck, a New York hospital announced Monday.

The surgery took place in August at the NYU Langone Medical Center. The patient, 41-year-old Patrick Hardison, is still undergoing physical therapy at the hospital but plans to return home to Senatobia, Mississippi, in time for Thanksgiving.

The surgery has paved the way for him to regain normal vision, and in an interview last week he said that will let him accomplish a major goal: "I'll start driving again."

More than two dozen face transplants have been performed worldwide since the first one in France in 2005. Dr. Eduardo Rodriguez, who led the surgical team that did Hardison's transplant and recently wrote a review of the field, said Hardison's is by far the most extensive performed successfully in terms of the amount of tissue transferred.

The transplant extends from the top of the head, over Hardison's skull and down to the collarbones in front; in back, it reaches far enough down that only a tiny patch of Hardison's original hair remains — its color matched by the dark blond hair growing on his new scalp. The transplant includes both ears.
The surgery began Aug. 14 and lasted 26 hours. It left no scars on Hardison's new face because the seam of the transplanted tissue runs down the back of his skull.

The donor was 26-year-old New York artist and competitive bicyclist David P. Rodebaugh. He had died of injuries from a biking accident on a Brooklyn street.

Hardison was burned Sept. 5, 2001, in Senatobia in northwestern Mississippi. A 27-year-old father of three at the time who'd served for seven years as a volunteer firefighter, he entered a burning house to search for a woman. The roof collapsed, giving him third-degree burns on his head, neck and upper torso.

He spent about two months at a Memphis, Tennessee, burn center. Doctors used a layer of skin from his legs to cover his wounded head, but he had lost his ears, lips, most of his nose and virtually all of his eyelid tissue.

Since he could not blink, doctors used skin grafts to reinforce what remained of his eyelids and sewed them nearly shut to protect his eyes. That left him with only pinhole vision.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Doctors used a layer of skin from his legs to cover his wounded head, but he had lost his ears, lips, most of his nose and virtually all of his eyelid tissue.

Since he could not blink, doctors used skin grafts to reinforce what remained of his eyelids and sewed them nearly shut to protect his eyes. That left him with only pinhole vision.
Someone should invent mechanical eyelids. I envision a sort of goggle that is microcomputer controlled so it 'blinks' at regular intervals. Meanwhile, inside the goggle is some kind of micro spray that keeps the eyeball as lubricated as it needs to be.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Holy crap, gameoverman. You just helped me discover my fetish.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

McNutt wrote:Holy crap, gameoverman. You just helped me discover my fetish.

Lol.

Too much sci-fi during puberty.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

1st recipient passed in April:
Isabelle Dinoire died in April aged 49 of cancers that spread all the more quickly because of treatment to prevent her body rejecting her new face.

She had the transplant after being left disfigured by her pet labrador, which gnawed off her nose and lips while trying to revive her after a suicide attempt.
About 40 face transplants have been carried out since Ms Dinoire's pioneering procedure. Some, such as the world's most extensive face transplant carried out on a volunteer firefighter in the US, appear to have been a stunning success.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:1st recipient passed in April:

She had the transplant after being left disfigured by her pet labrador, which gnawed off her nose and lips while trying to revive her after a suicide attempt.
Wait, what?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

More details at wiki.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:1st recipient passed in April:

Wait, what?
Yeah, they downplayed the suicide attempt whenever there was some news conference or interview. I can understand why but I think her story could have been even more helpful had she discussed that aspect of what happened as well. There's a lesson there I think, she went from depressed enough to want to die to forging ahead even with most of her face chewed off. Then she forged ahead with a transplanted face.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They don't give liver transplants to active alcoholics. I can't imagine that you would want to devote resources to someone that was suicidal, either. But then, they're French.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote:They don't give liver transplants to active alcoholics. I can't imagine that you would want to devote resources to someone that was suicidal, either. But then, they're French.
That aspect of it probably didn't matter as much since the procedure was so experimental...for all they knew, she would die on the table or shortly after if they couldn't prevent massive tissue rejection or sepsis.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Isgrimnur wrote:They don't give liver transplants to active alcoholics. I can't imagine that you would want to devote resources to someone that was suicidal, either. But then, they're French.
#FrenchLivesMatter
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

US News
In a medical first, a French surgeon says he has performed a second face transplant on the same patient — who is now doing well and even spent a recent weekend in Brittany.

Dr. Laurent Lantieri of the Georges Pompidou hospital in Paris first transplanted a new face onto Jerome Hamon in 2010. But after getting ill in 2015, Hamon was given drugs that interfered with anti-rejection medicines he was taking for his face transplant.

Last November, complications led Lantieri to remove Hamon's transplanted face.

That left Hamon without a face, a condition that Lantieri described as "the walking dead." Hamon had no eyelids, no ears, no skin and could not speak or eat. He had limited hearing and could express himself by turning his head slightly, in addition to writing a little.
In January, when a face donor became available, Lantieri and his team performed a second face transplant on Hamon.
Pomahac said it's still unknown how long face transplants might last, but guessed they might be similar to kidneys, which generally last about 10 to 15 years.
Pomahac applauded the French team for proving that doing subsequent face transplants was not impossible. He said as such surgeries become more common, they might be expanded to helping people with lesser deformities. Until now, the face transplant operation has only been conducted on people with severe facial disfigurements.

Lantieri said he and his team would soon publish their findings in a medical journal and that he hoped cases like Hamon would remain the exception.

"The other patients I'm following, some have had some alteration of their transplant over time, but they are doing fine," he said. "I hope not to do any future transplants like this."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still wondering how the lady in the first post could taste again. Just why is her face part of her taste?

No joke I know they used a womans private parts to make her new lips once. So guess they can do a lot.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LA Times
A woman who was severely burned in a domestic violence attack in Vermont is hoping for a second face transplant after doctors recently discovered tissue damage that likely will lead to the loss of her donor face.
Tarleton, who now lives in Manchester, N.H., told the Boston Globe she has no regrets about the transplant because it dramatically improved her life. She has learned to play the piano and banjo, wrote a memoir and has spoken to many groups about her life. She lost 20 pounds and began walking five miles a week.
More than 40 patients worldwide have received face transplants, including 15 in the United States. None of the American patients have lost their donor faces but last year, a French man whose immune system rejected his donor face eight years after his first transplant underwent a second.
Dr. Brian Gastman, a transplant surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic, which did the first U.S. face transplant 11 years ago, said more patients are starting to experience chronic rejection. “We all believe every patient will likely need a retransplant” at some point, he said.

Since her transplant in February 2013, Tarleton has had repeated rejection episodes when her new face became swollen and red. Those episodes were successfully treated but last month, physicians discovered that some blood vessels to her face had narrowed and closed, causing facial tissue to die. If the damage progresses slowly, Tarleton could go on the wait list for another donor face. Under the worst-case scenario, the tissue would die quickly, and doctors would have to remove it and reconstruct her original face.
It will take at least a month to evaluate Tarleton and reach a decision about a second transplant, doctors said. Aside from the setback with her face, a synthetic cornea transplanted into her left eye recently failed, leaving her almost blind.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Connie Culp, the first person in the US to receive a near-total face transplant, has died, according to the Cleveland Clinic, where the procedure was performed in 2008. She was 57 years old.

Culp died Wednesday of complications from an infection unrelated to her transplant, Cleveland Clinic spokeswoman Andrea Pacetti told CNN.
In 2010, Culp met the family of her donor, Anna Kasper of Lakewood, Ohio. Kasper's widower, Ron Kasper, told The Plain Dealer that the family agreed to donate her face for Culp's surgery, telling the newspaper that "the overriding factor was we knew it was what Anna would've wanted."

Culp told CNN that year that she was happy with the transplant. "I can smell now," she said. "I can eat steak; I can eat almost any solid foods -- so it's all getting better."