In Bruges

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

nasai

In Bruges

Post by nasai »

Starring Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes.

Utterly brilliant.

Another release from the Indie label, Focus Pictures, In Bruges tells the story of 2 hit men, one old and wise, buddied up with the other, who's quite petulant and childish.

The film is as quixotic as the younger hitman (played very well by Colin Farrell), and goes in directions you cannot possibly fathom. It is both hilarious and somehow quite sad, simultaneously.

If you like your movies tainted with the stink of something just a bit left of center, I can't recommend a movie more.

My wife and I both absolutely loved it.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
B Dog

Re: In Bruges

Post by B Dog »

Agreed. The wife and I watched this one a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. I'm usually not a fan of Farrell's, but he's great in this role.

The best way I can describe the film is Tarantino with a European sensibility.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A lot of great quotes in this movie.
I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Ha! The fiancee and I just watched it last night.

Twisted but brilliant.

"How can a fucking fairytale city not be someone's fucking thing?"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I read about this one before and it sounded interesting. Added to my Netflix queue, where it will languish in obscurity. Too bad it's not a Watch Now.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
yossar

Post by yossar »

I liked it a lot as well. I now instinctively add "fucking" before the word Bruges.
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
nasai

Post by nasai »

As well you should.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
PeteRock

Post by PeteRock »

Quite some time ago I learned about the film but never had a chance to see it in the theater. I picked it up on DVD the day it was released and absolutely loved it. The dialogue is brilliant and wondefully entertaining. Some of the exchanges are classic:

Ken: Harry, let's face it. And I'm not being funny. I mean no disrespect, but you're a cunt. You're a cunt now, and you've always been a cunt. And the only thing that's going to change is that you're going to be an even bigger cunt. Maybe have some more cunt kids.
Harry: Leave my kids fucking out of it! What have they done? You fucking retract that bit about my cunt fucking kids!
Ken: I retract that bit about your cunt fucking kids.
Harry: Insult my fucking kids? That's going overboard, mate!
Ken: I retracted it, didn't I?

Ray: What are they doing over there? They're filming something. They're filming midgets!
Ken: Ray...
Ken: Ray, come on. Let's go.
Ray: Fuck off, Ken. They're filming midgets.

Did anyone watch the edited collection of profanity called "Fucking Bruges" as part of the extras included on the DVD? Fucking hysterical. They edited the entire film down to only include the profanity. You get to see the entire movie in about five minutes condensed down to four letter words and "Bruges." Definitely worth watching.
yossar wrote:I liked it a lot as well. I now instinctively add "fucking" before the word Bruges.
I can't stop doing the same thing. Although now I've gone so far as to make "fucking Bruges" the phrase I use when I don't like a place, no matter where it is. If I don't like where I am I simply say, "Fucking Bruges" and shake my head. Unfortunately no one knows what the hell I'm talking about because the film hasn't become much of a cult classic yet. When I'm met with a confused stare I continue with, "I grew up in Philly. I love Philly. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, <<insert name of disliked place here>> might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't." That usually doesn't help to clarify anything, but it does end the conversation pretty abruptly.

I've also been cracked across the back of the head by my wife for screaming, "But honey, they're filming midgets" when I go running off somewhere, like to the DVD section at Best Buy, or to the beer section at the grocery store. Sometimes I feel like my wife just doesn't understand me.
Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

E-A-G-L-E-S...........EAGLES!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Watch the gag reel on the dvd to see an alternate version of this scene. In it, Colin runs off screen and when Brendan yells out to him, all you hear is "Fuck off...MIDGETS!"... I must have laughed for 20 minutes because of the way he says it.
He won. Period.
PeteRock

Post by PeteRock »

hepcat wrote:
Watch the gag reel on the dvd to see an alternate version of this scene. In it, Colin runs off screen and when Brendan yells out to him, all you hear is "Fuck off...MIDGETS!"... I must have laughed for 20 minutes because of the way he says it.
I watched that same gag reel and laughed about as much at that scene. :lol:

This certainly is a slightly twisted movie with a bit of emotional drama, but the humor is spot-on if you enjoy dark humor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overweight Man: Been to the top of the tower?
Ray: Yeah..yeah, it's rubbish.
Overweight Man: It is? The guide book says it's a must see.
Ray: Well you lot ain't going up there.
Overweight Man: Pardon me? Why?
Ray: I mean, it's all winding stairs. I'm not being funny.
Overweight Man: What exactly are you trying to say?
Ray: What exactly am I trying to say? You's a bunch of fuckin' elephants.
[overweight man attempts to chase Ray around but quickly grows tired]
Ray: Come on, leave it fatty!
[the overweight women calm down the overweight man]
Overweight Woman #2: [to Ray] You know you're just the rudest man. The rudest man!
Ken: [coming back from the tower] What's all that about?
[Ray shrugs]
Ken: They're not going up there.
[to overweight family]
Ken: Hey, guys. I wouldn't go up there. It's really narrow.
Overweight Woman #2: Screw you, motherfucker!
Ken: [to Ray] What was that about?
Ray: [shrugs]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ticket Seller: I'm sorry, the tower is closed.
Ken: You're supposed to be open until seven!
Ticket Seller: Normally, yes, we are open until seven, but earlier today an American tourist had a heart attack at the top of the tower, so now the tower is closed.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

E-A-G-L-E-S...........EAGLES!
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Saw it a while back, loved it. Have to get this one on DVD. This kind of dark comedy was right up my alley.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Well I went and bought the film. Back in about two hours with impressions.
I'm special!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Added to my Amazon Wishlist, which always seems to get larger...

Sounds like I'd love it.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

PeteRock wrote: Ticket Seller: I'm sorry, the tower is closed.
Ken: You're supposed to be open until seven!
Ticket Seller: Normally, yes, we are open until seven, but earlier today an American tourist had a heart attack at the top of the tower, so now the tower is closed.
:D

I missed this follow up line about why the tower was closed. I will blame the accents.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

That's one of the more interesting films I've seen. The overall atmosphere is sorta depressing, but the dialog is *really* clever.

Also, I give the script writer a TON of credit. Like Memento or Snatch, this is one of those films where everything ends up spinning together.

EDIT: Oh, and the DVD box is made of lies. "Thrilling chases!" my ass. This movie is 80% two guys wandering around drinking beer. It just happens that it's a terribly clever version of two guys drinking beer.
I'm special!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

ChrisGrenard wrote:EDIT: Oh, and the DVD box is made of lies. "Thrilling chases!" my ass. This movie is 80% two guys wandering around drinking beer. It just happens that it's a terribly clever version of two guys drinking beer.
Maybe it's really "Thrilling chasers!" and you simply read it wrong? You know, you do a shot of something gross and chase it with a beer...
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Kelric wrote:
ChrisGrenard wrote:EDIT: Oh, and the DVD box is made of lies. "Thrilling chases!" my ass. This movie is 80% two guys wandering around drinking beer. It just happens that it's a terribly clever version of two guys drinking beer.
Maybe it's really "Thrilling chasers!" and you simply read it wrong? You know, you do a shot of something gross and chase it with a beer...
No, no, allow me to assure you that these gentlemen pretty much stuck to beer.
I'm special!
nasai

Post by nasai »

nasai

Post by nasai »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Oh, and the DVD box is made of lies. "Thrilling chases!" my ass. This movie is 80% two guys wandering around drinking beer. It just happens that it's a terribly clever version of two guys drinking beer.
Reminds me of the VHS box for Leon: The Professional when it came out in 1995:

"Makes Speed look like a slow ride to Grandma's house."

No shit. It really said that.
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Just watched this tonight. Wow, this is a great movie. It reminds me of a lot of movies, combined, but it works quite well. Depressing, hilarious, etc. Anyone who hasn't seen it, you simply must.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

A bottle!

And, of course...

THEY'RE FILMING MIDGETS!!

I simply must work this into a conversation some time soon.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Just watched it. Interesting movie. Didn't think the dialog was all that witty, but I thought it was better than most movies. Some of it seemed a bit silly, like the man who dragged himself up a tower after being shot in the neck, slowly dropped coins from the tower and then dropped to survive long enough to have a conversation before the fit man could reach the bottom of the stairs.

Also I found the whole idea of Bruges being a shit hole pretty stupid. If that's hell, I am ready to go.
Last edited by Lee on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Lee wrote:Just watched it. Interesting movie. Didn't think the dialog was all that witty, but I thought it was better than most movies. Some of it seemed a bit silly, like the man who dragged himself up a tower after being shot in the neck, slowly dropped coins from the tower and then dropped to survive long enough to have a conversation before the fit man could reach the bottom of the stairs.

Also I found the hole idea of Bruges being a shit hole pretty stupid. If that's hell, I am ready to go.
I took many of the themes that you note in a very different fashion. Bruges wasn't meant to be a bad place at all, simply that Colin's character was arrogant and didn't appreciate it.

Also, the conversation I found to a bit unrealistic, but poignant.
I'm special!
Lee

Post by Lee »

I just couldn't buy it. I could see some shit hole town in the middle of nowhere, where there is nothing but diners, bad beer, and bland scenery. But even an irishmen would be in love with that place if only for the beautiful pubs and good beer. Which describes the movie to me as a whole, I couldn't buy it.

After watching the deleted scenes I also thought most of them should have been left in for character development (but at the same time some of them were so out there I had no clue what they were about). The scenes set the characters up, gave the viewer more of a clue of what was going, and on a whole made it a better story.

I would give the movie 4 out of 5 stars, but it could easily have been a 5 if it was more fleshed out and realistic.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
yossar

Post by yossar »

Lee wrote:I just couldn't buy it. I could see some shit hole town in the middle of nowhere, where there is nothing but diners, bad beer, and bland scenery. But even an irishmen would be in love with that place if only for the beautiful pubs and good beer. Which describes the movie to me as a whole, I couldn't buy it.
At least they nailed the character of the guy who couldn't believe that anyone wouldn't love Bruges.
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished and really quite enjoyed it. I was a bit surprised, as I wasn't expecting something quite that dark. Not sure if I'd say it was brilliant, but it was certainly entertaining.

And I'm pretty sure I could watch the actress playing Chloe read a phone book for 2 hours. She's stunningly beautiful.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Skinypupy wrote: And I'm pretty sure I could watch the actress playing Chloe read a phone book for 2 hours. She's stunningly beautiful.
Very much so, in a normal way. She wasn't stunning in a conventual nature, but the kind of girl you would meet at the bar and be blown away by. She was my favorite character in the movie.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Watched it after reading this thread. Thoroughly enjoyable. I've added it to my collection. I think I've piqued the wife's curiosity too, so maybe she'll watch it eventually.

Very pleasant experience, which is more than I can say about a lot of movies these days.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The forum effect caused me to bump this to the top of my queue. Decidedly "meh." Worth watching once, had its moments, but nothing I'd be interested in owning or rewatching.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

I watched it a few nights ago and thought it was brilliant. Once again the trailers did complete injustice to this film. I thought it was going to be some sort of slapstick caper movie about two bumbling hitmen. But it turned out to be a very dark, sad and yet fucking funny movie. I agree that the dialog was exceptional. I don't buy many movies anymore but this one is going to be picked up.
nasai

Post by nasai »

I can certainly see how this movie can cause a weight of opinion either way, though. I can't see how anyone can call this movie "meh," but I get that everyone has a right to be wrong. :P
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

I have just watched the movie tonight and I must say I liked it alot.

For sure one of Collins better performances, and Gleeson and in particular Fieness I also enjoyed alot in the movie (Fieness is my favorite male actor though so I am always biased there I guess).

It is one of those movies that doesn`t reach the high top of my list but it is dipping in the lower ranks of the ones I would consider very good movies.
That being said due to the script and performances it is a movie that I can imagine I will watch again with much greater ease then many others.

The balance between drama\thriller and humor was very well done, just as the actress portraying Chloe was between beautiful and cute :D
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Lee wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: And I'm pretty sure I could watch the actress playing Chloe read a phone book for 2 hours. She's stunningly beautiful.
Very much so, in a normal way. She wasn't stunning in a conventual nature, but the kind of girl you would meet at the bar and be blown away by. She was my favorite character in the movie.
Same girl plays Fleur Delacure(sp?) in Harry Potter and the goblet of Fire (thanks IMDB, knew I had seen her before).

I liked the movie for the most part due to the humor and oddball nature of it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Just saw this one over the weekend and loved it. Excellent movie. I laughed so many times.
KeriKitKat

Post by KeriKitKat »

This thread makes me wish we had the DVD so I could watch it again right now. :( Freakin' good movie!
If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

KeriKitKat wrote:This thread makes me wish we had the DVD so I could watch it again right now. :( Freakin' good movie!
I'm eyeballing it right now. Gotta do something tonight. Watching "In Bruges" might be that something.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

GreenGoo wrote:I'm eyeballing it right now. Gotta do something tonight. Watching "In Bruges" might be that something.
I just finished it for the first time. Ralph Fiennes steals the show.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Chesspieceface wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:I'm eyeballing it right now. Gotta do something tonight. Watching "In Bruges" might be that something.
I just finished it for the first time. Ralph Fiennes steals the show.
Never made it to it tonight. Oh well.

As much as I don't like Colin Farrell I thought he was very entertaining in this.
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

I loved this movie as well. I'm a sucker for fast, tight dialog.
Spoiler:
The cocaine-fueled race war discussion was inspired and edgy enough to make you almost embarrassed for laughing. Also, whenever my friend talks about coming back from his karate class, all I can think of is, "What the fuck is a lollipop man doing knowing fucking karate?" :lol:
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

WarPig wrote:I loved this movie as well. I'm a sucker for fast, tight dialog.
Spoiler:
The cocaine-fueled race war discussion was inspired and edgy enough to make you almost embarrassed for laughing. Also, whenever my friend talks about coming back from his karate class, all I can think of is, "What the fuck is a lollipop man doing knowing fucking karate?" :lol:
Yep, that was great. Particularly genius is including the midget, which takes Colin's fascination with midgets from child-like wonder/freak-show gawking, into real, if still comic/cartoony, interaction with said midget.
Spoiler:
Not to mention the "shock" of a racist midget. You rarely see in media (movies, tv etc) someone who is "disadvantaged" in some way display hatred/bigotry/racism/prejudice. Yeah, it's almost cliched at this point, but I find it is still glaring/shocking/unexpected, for me at least