The Mule (Now known as BigDog) quadraped robot is back!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Assuming it's legit. . .

1) I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords

2) That thing passed up on a lot of harvestable resources, so the firmware might need some tweaking

3) Killer Bees are incapable of defeating that thing. They are POWERLESS.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

It's totally legit. Saw it about 2 years ago when it was simply able to go over slightly gravely ground without falling. I must admit that I nearly yelled out when I saw it actually jump.

Edit: Here's the video I was referring to. And yup, it's almost exactly 2 years old now!
I'm special!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Doesn't surprise me at all. All they really did was simulate known animal locomotion. The really amazing thing isn't the motion itself since those movements are copied from similar animals, it's the programming that allows the robot to recognize when to use various movement methods and rough terrain.

When you consider that we have similar technology running in real-time in games (dynamic physics based entities that react to the world, moving each section of each limb in physics to try and stay upright), it's no stretch to think that they can get it working in the real-world. The main difficulty is obstacle recognition and the decision making about how to overcome obstacles and rough terrain.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

ok, seriously, if I was a hunter in the woods, and I saw/heard that thing coming I'd be unloading all of my ordinance into it post haste.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

CeeKay wrote:ok, seriously, if I was a hunter in the woods, and I saw/heard that thing coming I'd be unloading all of my ordinance into it post haste.
That might not be a great idea, since it seems to be powered by angry bees.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Fretmute wrote:
CeeKay wrote:ok, seriously, if I was a hunter in the woods, and I saw/heard that thing coming I'd be unloading all of my ordinance into it post haste.
That might not be a great idea, since it seems to be powered by angry bees.
The bullets are only making them angrier!!!
I'm special!
Bob

Post by Bob »

If the idea is that the thing will carry equipment alongside human troops they better give everyone earplugs.
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe they'll make a battery pack unit for stealth missions.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grundbegriff

Re: The Mule (Now known as BigDog) quadraped robot is back!

Post by Grundbegriff »

ChrisGrenard wrote:The Mule (Now known as BigDog) quadraped robot is back!
I thought this was going to be a thread about multi-core cybersexual assault.
Brian

Post by Brian »

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Hispanicgamer

Post by Hispanicgamer »

I almost cried when I heard that song. My little brother loved to play that game. We haven't talked in months and I'm gonna ring him up and see if remembers playing it.

I think I would run if I saw that thing in the forest. Now all they have to do is put a mini-gun on it and set it loose in Iraq!
Now Playing:
MoH, Amnesia, Self
"Work to Live, Live to Play"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Please. Like it wouldn't have a portably nuclear power supply. Or a Mr. Fusion. I'm pretty impressed with the way it responds to someone trying to kick it over. With no clear head, how do you know which end to have sex with?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Smoove_B wrote:Please. Like it wouldn't have a portably nuclear power supply. Or a Mr. Fusion. I'm pretty impressed with the way it responds to someone trying to kick it over. With no clear head, how do you know which end to have sex with?
I got kinda sad when they kicked it. Does that make me a freak?

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
abr

Post by abr »

The Meal wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Please. Like it wouldn't have a portably nuclear power supply. Or a Mr. Fusion. I'm pretty impressed with the way it responds to someone trying to kick it over. With no clear head, how do you know which end to have sex with?

~Neal
No, it doesn't, I actually felt the same. :)

Since this thing moves very much like an animal would, it's only natural (at least for us non-serial-killers-to-be) that an empathy reaction sets in.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

The Meal wrote:

~Neal
I was kinda hoping the thing would kick back myself.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I felt bad for it when it got kicked, as well as trying to go over the ice.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bob wrote:If the idea is that the thing will carry equipment alongside human troops they better give everyone earplugs.
Doesn't it seem more like it would be programmed to go where humans couldn't?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Meal wrote:

~Neal
No, it just means your a robot sympathizer. And you'll be first against the wall when the metal ones try to start a revolution.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Smoove_B wrote:
The Meal wrote:
No, it just means your a robot sympathizer. And you'll be first against the wall when the metal ones try to start a revolution.
Dude, I'm *creating* our robot overlords as we speak. I don't worry about them putting me up against the wall. It's the many-tentacled-ones which could get to me first that keep me up at night.

Hail! Hail! Zener diodes!

~Neal
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Hispanicgamer wrote:
I almost cried when I heard that song. My little brother loved to play that game. We haven't talked in months and I'm gonna ring him up and see if remembers playing it.

I think I would run if I saw that thing in the forest. Now all they have to do is put a mini-gun on it and set it loose in Iraq!
That was an awesome game. And yeah, that bot gave me MULE vibes.
Big Jake

Post by Big Jake »

Hmm, sympathy for a robot animal getting kicked. The uncanny valley applies to robot animals too?

Someone, quick, throw a bearskin rug on that thing so we can all feel happy when it gets kicked!
I play Bjork tunes on Elite in Audiosurf.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Big Jake wrote:Hmm, sympathy for a robot animal getting kicked. The uncanny valley applies to robot animals too?

Someone, quick, throw a bearskin rug on that thing so we can all feel happy when it gets kicked!
I'd feel bad for a bear getting kicked, too.

Now, if it looked like a human... I'd probably just laugh.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I work in robotics right now, so my uncanny valley is a bit different than the norm.

~Neal
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Kelric wrote:
Big Jake wrote:Hmm, sympathy for a robot animal getting kicked. The uncanny valley applies to robot animals too?

I'd feel bad for a bear getting kicked, too.

Now, if it looked like a human... I'd probably just laugh.
a bear kicking a human would be hilarious!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Couldn't they at least put a cheap papier mache head on the damn thing? Gahhhh! It's creepy without a head!!!
qp

Post by qp »

YellowKing wrote:Couldn't they at least put a cheap papier mache head on the damn thing? Gahhhh! It's creepy without a head!!!
I vote for a Burger King, King Mask! :)
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Twitter: joerumz
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

My brother sent me that this morning, very funny. Love the ending.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Hispanicgamer

Post by Hispanicgamer »

That was F-ing hilarious! I was crying laughing so hard!! :lol: :lol:
Now Playing:
MoH, Amnesia, Self
"Work to Live, Live to Play"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now brought you by Google:
Google purchased Boston Dynamics as part of its larger strategy to invest in robotics development.
The Pentagon’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency — better known as DARPA — recognized the cutting edge work being done at Boston Dynamics early and has awarded multiple development contracts to the company. Boston Dynamics is working on high profile projects for the military such as the Big Dog, which is now officially named the Legged Squad Support System (LS3) by the Marine Corps.
Google officials have said the company will still honor the remaining contracts that Boston Dynamics has with DARPA, but it seems evident that DARPA may have to find a new laboratory to develop their next robotics projects.
Notably, Google doesn’t have to worry about sequestration or Congressional budgets. It can use it’s [sic] large capital reserve to sink in the money necessary to advance robotics at a rapid pace.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So Google says: "We don't need no stinking military projects. We just need they're development companies." Should we be scared?
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote:So Google says: "We don't need no stinking military projects. We just need they're development companies." Should we be scared?
No. Typos in the government sector are just as common as the private sector.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:Now brought you by Google:
Google purchased Boston Dynamics as part of its larger strategy to invest in robotics development.
The Pentagon’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency — better known as DARPA — recognized the cutting edge work being done at Boston Dynamics early and has awarded multiple development contracts to the company. Boston Dynamics is working on high profile projects for the military such as the Big Dog, which is now officially named the Legged Squad Support System (LS3) by the Marine Corps.
Google officials have said the company will still honor the remaining contracts that Boston Dynamics has with DARPA, but it seems evident that DARPA may have to find a new laboratory to develop their next robotics projects.
Notably, Google doesn’t have to worry about sequestration or Congressional budgets. It can use it’s [sic] large capital reserve to sink in the money necessary to advance robotics at a rapid pace.
They're just wanting a head start in the upcoming Corporate Wars. They'll need something to counter the Bezos drone fleet. Of course whomever wins, we lose as the "consumers" become laborers on the server farms pulling rare earth metals from obsolete devices.

Time to start tagging "John Connor Lives!" and stockpiling stuff for the resistance...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thankfully, I should be able to get into the software world for data tracking, if not training into AI development. A lot of the rest of you are screwed.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:Thankfully, I should be able to get into the software world for data tracking, if not training into AI development. A lot of the rest of you are screwed.
I think overlords would be offended at the idea you could improve their AI. Best to not even bring it up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was thinking more like low level stuff. Like kill tracking, ammo counts, that sort of thing. I wouldn't deign to think I could impact the kill, pillage, destroy algorithms for many, many years.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I want to see the BigDog in Wasteland 2...complete with the Angry Bees.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How about The Sand Flea jumping bot.

LittleDog 1
LittleDog 2
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stand clear!
ig Dog, the four-legged Boston Dynamics’ robot that until now looked more like a headless horse, finally has something resembling a head.

The company developing the robo-beast with the Army Research Laboratory funding calls in an arm, though, and in a recent video you can see it grabbing, lifting and hurling 35-lb cinder blocks to the side and rear.
It’s easy to see the advantage of having a robot mule able to clear its own path. In the video demonstration Big Dog’s best cinderblock throw was about 17 feet.