Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: tesla motors

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I keep off the Twitter and Facebooks but I assume there have been Delorean jokes?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:17 am I keep off the Twitter and Facebooks but I assume there have been Delorean jokes?
Indeed. As well as the requisite '...when an El Camino and a Pontiac Aztec love each other very much...'
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

TSLA down around 5% at the open. Again, I think mostly on the announced pricing.

I would love to try driving one but don't think I could bring myself to own one.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:24 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:17 am I keep off the Twitter and Facebooks but I assume there have been Delorean jokes?
Indeed. As well as the requisite '...when an El Camino and a Pontiac Aztec love each other very much...'
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

He made the batmobile for starting at $40000? That doesn't sound like horrible pricing to me.

As far as being a truck goes, maybe in towing, not so much in native capacity in volume. Unless the site is deceptive in it's looks. While it may have F-150 dimensions on the outside, the bed looks tiny.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:17 am He made the batmobile for starting at $40000? That doesn't sound like horrible pricing to me.

As far as being a truck goes, maybe in towing, not so much in native capacity in volume. Unless the site is deceptive in it's looks. While it may have F-150 dimensions on the outside, the bed looks tiny.
Pretty sure the cargo volume is larger than the equivalent-length bed in an F150, based on the comments. 100 ft^3 storage in the Cybertruck. It's tough to tell whether that 100 includes the 2nd-row seats or not. For comparison, a 6.5-ft F150 bed itself has 65 ft^3 storage.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The bed looks shockingly tiny. But I'm not sure they're going for the traditional truck market and this might be them making inroads there.

I like the Knight Rider steering yoke.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:17 am He made the batmobile for starting at $40000? That doesn't sound like horrible pricing to me.
Horrible for Tesla's top line rev and bottom line margins. And possibly indicative of lesser than expected quality (brand dilution) but moreso the first one. Wall Street was looking for $52K or more.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:20 am

Pretty sure the cargo volume is larger than the equivalent-length bed in an F150, based on the comments. 100 ft^3 storage in the Cybertruck. It's tough to tell whether that 100 includes the 2nd-row seats or not. For comparison, a 6.5-ft F150 bed itself has 65 ft^3 storage.
I see the picture with that Trike in the bed and it's hard to reconcile that.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:25 am
Horrible for Tesla's top line rev and bottom line margins. And possibly indicative of lesser than expected quality (brand dilution) but moreso the first one. Wall Street was looking for $52K or more.
I'm confused by this line of reasoning, too. First, we're talking about a vehicle that's coming in ~2-3 years. Battery costs will have continued to drop, and Tesla's scale will be far greater than it is today. Second, several things about the design of this truck imply that actually building it will be more efficient (read: cheaper) than a traditional vehicle.

Read the Motor Trend coverage for more on that.

The plusses for a folded stainless steel, origami truck are compelling: no paint shop and no expensive tooling. No Godzilla-scale stamping machines stomping it with multiple strikes. Without all that, the capital and environmental costs of using stainless steel body panels are small. And big attractions for a company that's sensitive to both types of green—cash and environmentalism. Just groove the steel where it's supposed to fold (avoiding cracks) and bend it on simple, cheap machines (like I was actually doing last week with my garage vise!)

Brilliant … but prickly with trade-offs. Unlike the strength-to-weight efficiency of compound curves (feathery eggshells are the epitome), the flat-ish planes between the Cybertruck's simple bends require greater thickness to resist buckling compression loads or wrinkling oil-canning. Adding weight.

To counter this? Ditch the heavy, traditional, body-on-frame, and rethink the structure as weight-efficient trussed bridge in its simplest load-spreading configuration: a triangle set on its hypotenuse. One side is the Cybertruck's wedgy cab, the other, its tapered, sail-sided bed, their meeting point at the truck's tall peak resulting in a huge cross-sectional area for maximum stiffness.

If the Cybertruck is a shock to the eyes, it's a jump-start to reimagining the foundational assumptions about vehicle appearance, engineering, and manufacturing. Remember Elon Musk's plans to leapfrog car assembly with a high-speed, robotic, alien dreadnaught "machine-that-builds-the-machine" that would fire-hose Model 3s out its tailpipe? He had to sheepishly remove some of the robots and conveyor belts to speed things up. Now, the "machines-that-will-build" the Cybertruck will go dramatically skinnier, scaling the dreadnaught down to simple dinghies that groove and bend (with the $200 million paint shop getting an auditor's line drawn through it). Real progress is assembled from the debris of failures.
LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:32 amI see the picture with that Trike in the bed and it's hard to reconcile that.
It's certainly not easy to tell with certainty in either way. But they did make a point to say last night that they have very similar external dimensions to an F-150, with more usable space. So we'll see, I guess.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:37 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:25 am
I'm confused by this line of reasoning, too. First, we're talking about a vehicle that's coming in ~2-3 years. Battery costs will have continued to drop, and Tesla's scale will be far greater than it is today. Second, several things about the design of this truck imply that actually building it will be more efficient (read: cheaper) than a traditional vehicle.
I'm not saying Wall Street isn't overreacting as it often does. But that's been the talk. Low sticker price and lower margins.

Also, one reason that automakers don't reimagine the entire industry every few model years is risk. They are risk averse. Wall Street is also risk averse, at least when it comes to durable goods. Introducing a truck design that is unproven on the road, in crash tests, and in public opinion is risky.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm with you there. Taking risks is kind of Tesla's thing, hence the volatility.

I dumped some at $355 and bought back today at $330, so I'm OK with it today, at least... I can certainly see it dropping more, though.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

stessier wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:03 am You know, the truck is kind of growing on me.

Like a tumor?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I LOLed.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's kind of perfect.

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I just don't get who this is for. People who want trucks seem to me like the ones who want big manly tough looking things, like the Canyonero. People who want a DeLorean but even more futuristic looking seem like they'd rather have a crossover, something sedanish, or something sporty.

I mean personally, maybe I could see the design of the front and sides growing on me -- I didn't like the new more angular Prius at first but now it seems fine -- but the back end of the Cybertruck is Pontiac Aztek levels of hideous.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

One has to think that such a radical design went through several focus groups. They probably weren't in Texas though.

I've read that electric vehicles have had a history of unusual designs because so many people that buy electric want a car that looks different enough to let people know that it's electric. There's definitely no denying it with this "truck."

And what's with the need for unbreakable windows? As Zaxxon said, that seems like a liability in case you get trapped in the car. I've never had a side window shatter, so it's not a big selling feature for me.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:MKBHD
Wow I think I saw that car in the movie Megaforce!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:09 am MKBHD
Took the time to watch this. It's weird. I guess because it looks so much like the batmobile, my brain scales it to the size of the batmobile, and as long as something isn't right next to it, my brain scales it to look small. Elon five feet in front of it, it's not huge. Car driving near it. It's not huge. Someone opening the door? It's HUGE. when it is in a tugawar with the Ford pickup. It's HUGE. More akin to a 350 than 150 in size.

https://youtu.be/oTZ84U-K_5k?t=473
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just noticed there are no side mirrors. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with that.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix wrote:Just noticed there are no side mirrors. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with that.
There weren't on the X at its reveal, either. I wouldn't read too much into it. Though I know they want to go that route once regulations catch up.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I figure they'd either be added later (okay with that), or you'd be expected to rely on the smart-car to tell you it's okay (not sure I'd be okay with that, too many years of "checking the mirrors" to outgrow).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Here's one I made today
Enlarge Image
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'd take one.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If I were a rich man I'd buy me one or two of those pickups. They'll only be on the market for a couple of years, and then they'll be as collectible as Deloreans.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Sorry but that thing looks stupid as hell.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier

Post by stessier »

So, do you think it is more efficient to drive a Ford Raptor, or to drive a Raptor towing a Tesla Model 3 to charge it, and then driving the Model 3?

Watch to find out!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Conservation of energy requires the former.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:29 pm Conservation of energy requires the former.
You should watch the video. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:29 pm Conservation of energy requires the former.
You should watch the video. :)
Sure, but I'm watching a rocket land on a barge. Had to answer the question first...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ah, I misread your initial question as 'is it more efficient to drive a Tesla normally or use a Raptor to charge it, then drive it normally.' That one is an easy conservation of energy answer. This setup involving a lossy ICE is more interesting.

The video doesn't quite measure the Tesla properly (the car uses more energy than the meter shows, as that just shows energy sent to the wheels not accounting for losses, cabin electronics, etc). So the true results aren't quite as good as he listed. But he also wasn't driving for efficiency, so those two cancel out-ish.

Expensive way to build a hybrid vehicle but it works! Will be interesting when the Rivian and Cybertruck are out to do apples-to-apples comparisons between their efficiency and ICE trucks.
raydude

Post by raydude »

So Virginia requires all cars registered in the state to have an annual state inspection. Took my Model 3 to the Honda dealership where I get my other cars service; the service rep there has done right by me for a long time. And by law they are required to be able to inspect and certify any make and model car for the state inspection.

It caused quite a stir. The best part was when she told me her service tech is required to inspect under the hood and they needed my help to open it. "Okay," I said, " let's take a look at the engine." Tech takes a look at the empty frunk and says "Ok, I'm good."
raydude

Post by raydude »

So Virginia requires all cars registered in the state to have an annual state inspection. Took my Model 3 to the Honda dealership where I get my other cars service; the service rep there has done right by me for a long time. And by law they are required to be able to inspect and certify any make and model car for the state inspection.

It caused quite a stir. The best part was when she told me her service tech is required to inspect under the hood and they needed my help to open it. "Okay," I said, " let's take a look at the engine." Tech takes a look at the empty frunk and says "Ok, I'm good."
stessier

Post by stessier »

raydude wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:06 pm So Virginia requires all cars registered in the state to have an annual state inspection. Took my Model 3 to the Honda dealership where I get my other cars service; the service rep there has done right by me for a long time. And by law they are required to be able to inspect and certify any make and model car for the state inspection.

:lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Got mine inspected back in august. It was basically headlights, brake lights and turn signals... good to go! For some reason they didn't do any emissions testing. 8-)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:34 pm Elon Musk doubles down on his pedophilia allegations against Vernon Unsworth.
CNBC
A jury decided that Elon Musk had not defamed British caver Vernon Unsworth in a Los Angeles federal court on Friday.
In his testimony during the defamation trial this week, Musk apologized to Unsworth and said he did not believe the cave explorer was a pedophile.

Musk and his defense team, led by attorney Alex Spiro, argued that “pedo guy” was simply heated rhetoric and not meant as a statement of fact. They also argued that the phrase “pedo guy” is widely known as slang for “creepy old guy.” And they suggested that Unsworth was looking for a payday in court, and had not sincerely been harmed by the “pedo guy” label.
It's almost as if people are the problem.