tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: tesla motors

Post by pr0ner »

Tesla owners, don't be this jackass from Florida, please.

Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Even Tesla owners aren't immune to being 'Florida man,' it appears. That's pretty bad on multiple levels.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I watched a video of Fabiano Caruana playing chess against a Tesla Model 3 (he won), but I don't see any chess program on my Model 3. What gives?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm I watched a video of Fabiano Caruana playing chess against a Tesla Model 3 (he won), but I don't see any chess program on my Model 3. What gives?
It's rolling out but slowly. Don't have it on mine yet, either. It's 2019.28.2.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sweet, the one game I am interested in.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:55 pm Sweet, the one game I am interested in.
TeslaFi tells me about 5% of the fleet has it so far. Generally it seems like they hit somewhere in this range, wait a couplefew days, then open the fire hose. Hopefully by this coming weekend we'll both be current.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:57 pm
TeslaFi tells me about 5% of the fleet has it so far. Generally it seems like they hit somewhere in this range, wait a couplefew days, then open the fire hose. Hopefully by this coming weekend we'll both be current.
FYI, I got the update update about 4 hours after that post. I still haven't tried out chess though, as much fun as sitting around in my car may be.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:41 pm
FYI, I got the update update about 4 hours after that post. I still haven't tried out chess though, as much fun as sitting around in my car may be.
Just make sure you put it in Dog Mode.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:44 pm
Make sure you get the update first.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:01 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:44 pm
Make sure you get the update first.
The update update includes the update to the update.

Also, in related news, I suck at chess these days...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I still haven't gotten the update. Where does the chess game show up, next to the arcade games?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:46 pm I still haven't gotten the update. Where does the chess game show up, next to the arcade games?
Yes. I may have asked already, but do you have your update preference set to Advanced (ie early), and do you park with the car on wifi? TeslaFi says about 40% of the fleet is on 2019.28.somethingorother.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:51 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:46 pm I still haven't gotten the update. Where does the chess game show up, next to the arcade games?
Yes. I may have asked already, but do you have your update preference set to Advanced (ie early), and do you park with the car on wifi? TeslaFi says about 40% of the fleet is on 2019.28.somethingorother.
Where do you set the update preference?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think it's on the Software tab of the car's settings IIRC.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes. I may have asked already, but do you have your update preference set to Advanced (ie early), and do you park with the car on wifi?
Done and done. Had to find my wifi password (fucking POS) :evil:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:08 pm
Yes. I may have asked already, but do you have your update preference set to Advanced (ie early), and do you park with the car on wifi?
Done and done. Had to find my wifi password (fucking POS) :evil:
That should help. Advanced will move you toward the front of the queue, and once you're in the queue only wifi gets the download for a certain amount of time on non-safety-related updates (to save Tesla $$).
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:08 pm Had to find my wifi password (fucking POS) :evil:
Strange password, but noted for future use.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Solar City still a clusterfuck.
Walmart Inc on Tuesday sued Tesla Inc, accusing it of “widespread negligence” that led to repeated fires of its solar systems and asking a court to force Tesla to remove solar panels from more than 240 of its U.S. stores.

Solar energy systems installed and maintained by the electric car maker were responsible for fires at seven locations, with dozens showing hazardous problems such as loose wiring and “hot spots” on panels, according to court papers filed in New York State Supreme Court.

Tesla did not respond to a request for comment.

The lawsuit accuses Tesla of having untrained workers putting up shoddy installations and showing “utter incompetence or callousness, or both,” court papers said.

In the lawsuit, Walmart accused SolarCity of having “an ill-considered business model that required it to install solar panel systems haphazardly and as quickly as possible in order to turn a profit, and the contractors and subcontractors who performed the original installation work had not been properly hired, trained, and supervised.”

In July, Walmart gave Tesla 30 days to provide analyses of the root causes of the fires, compensate the retailer for damages to its stores and demonstrate an overhaul of its operations, among other measures. As of Aug. 15, Tesla “still had not taken any reasonable steps toward curing its breaches,” the lawsuit said.
3 days later, Musk announced re-launch of the residential business and contract-free leasing. Yeah, no thanks.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I read WMT's filing last night. It's definitely not a good look for either SolarCity's installation crews or Tesla's communications. Will be interesting to read Tesla's response.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

FINALLY got the update with the chess app. I mated the fucker in 24 moves.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:00 pm FINALLY got the update with the chess app. I mated the fucker in 24 moves.
Local man tragically killed in Tesla crash; Autopilot failure suspected.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm A bit from Tesla's side: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef ... afnJj1Og==
And more, preceding the above link: https://www.wholemars.com/TeslaResponse ... kbucy8luRM
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Reading Tesla's response, they're mostly denying breaching the agreement, not any of the alleged safety issues. They also content that they went above and beyond by de-energizing the remaining sites at WMTs request. I mean if I had 2 fires (possibly 4 at that point, not clear on the timeline) caused by the installations, I'd be seeking de-energizing as well. Tesla did it on their dime, sure but that's kind of what should have happened.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's part of it, yes. The other big piece is the allegation that Walmart agreed to a plan to complete inspections and fire the systems back up, then reneged on that agreement and started demanding a whole lot more.

At this point, both sides are going to put things in a positive light for themselves and can't really be taken at face value. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
morlac

Post by morlac »

What positive light does Walmart need to put themselves in? I don't see where they have blame?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

morlac wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:41 pm What positive light does Walmart need to put themselves in? I don't see where they have blame?
You've read the two links from Tesla's side above? Walmart is subject to contractual agreements here, as well. Indefinitely disabling 200+ sites because of concerns with a few, while stonewalling the investigation on those few, is not something they're contractually able to do indefinitely. Nor is removing all of the panels everywhere due to issues with a few. And they certainly have financial incentive to do that if they can paint Tesla as incompetent--they'd get out of PV rates 5-10 years old and be free to re-engage at current rates, perhaps with First Solar, partially owned by the Waltons. That's maybe a bit too conspiracy-theory, but they absolutely have financial incentive to drag Tesla through the mud on this. If their chief concern was returning the systems to powered-up status, one would think they'd have engaged with Tesla on the mutually-agreed processes to clear the sites and get them running again.

We'll see how it goes, but even putting my positive Tesla feelings aside, Walmart does not get to be taken at face value here, either. For example, Walmart sites are a small minority of Tesla/SolarCity's installed base. If this is a widespread issue of incompetence, where are the non-Walmart fires?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:07 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm A bit from Tesla's side: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef ... afnJj1Og==
And more, preceding the above link: https://www.wholemars.com/TeslaResponse ... kbucy8luRM
I don't know much about laywerdom but the wholemars document is sleazy.

We have lots of agreements in place I won't bore you with details but we agreed that we set up and run and Walmart pays... There are 244 good installations but you want to complain about these "other" (Bolding is theirs) 4 problem cases.

I have no love for Walmart and honestly I would not put it past them to screw a partner on the legal accountability and costs. It's what they do. Tesla might just have got themselves in bed with the wrong people over what it means to be business partners. I suppose that's what legal battles will determine but if I put money on it (beyond the 4 shares of Tesla I now hold), if the law does not change to accommodate how shitty Walmart is, Tesla is holding a legal bag of shit and they just haven't come to terms with it.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:56 pm
morlac wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:41 pm What positive light does Walmart need to put themselves in? I don't see where they have blame?
You've read the two links from Tesla's side above? Walmart is subject to contractual agreements here, as well. Indefinitely disabling 200+ sites because of concerns with a few, while stonewalling the investigation on those few, is not something they're contractually able to do indefinitely. Nor is removing all of the panels everywhere due to issues with a few. And they certainly have financial incentive to do that if they can paint Tesla as incompetent--they'd get out of PV rates 5-10 years old and be free to re-engage at current rates, perhaps with First Solar, partially owned by the Waltons. That's maybe a bit too conspiracy-theory, but they absolutely have financial incentive to drag Tesla through the mud on this. If their chief concern was returning the systems to powered-up status, one would think they'd have engaged with Tesla on the mutually-agreed processes to clear the sites and get them running again.

We'll see how it goes, but even putting my positive Tesla feelings aside, Walmart does not get to be taken at face value here, either. For example, Walmart sites are a small minority of Tesla/SolarCity's installed base. If this is a widespread issue of incompetence, where are the non-Walmart fires?
None of that has anything to do with crappy installations by Tesla causing catastrophic failures ending up in a fire at multiple Walmarts. When a failure can cause a whole store to burn down they are well within their rights to demand to cut the systems off until they can figure out whats going wrong. Exactly why Tesla agreed to do it at their cost. If Walmart uses this as an excuse to get out of a bad deal and get another one with a competitor does not really have any bearing on the root cause which is crap catching fire that shouldn't. So yes failing to still see what positive light Walmart needs to put on themselves.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Amazon:
Amazon says Tesla solar panels on the roof of one of its warehouses sparked a fire in 2018, adding to the scrutiny of the company's green energy unit following Walmart's damning suit filed last week.

The e-commerce giant told Bloomberg in an emailed statement Friday that an energy system at its Redlands, California warehouse, east of Los Angeles, in June 2018.
Also:

In the summer of 2018, Tesla initiated a massive undertaking — a stealth replacement of solar-panel parts across the US. It was called Project Titan, Business Insider has learned.

The faulty parts in question were connectors — Amphenol H4 connectors — and SolarEdge optimizers. These parts are supposed to regulate the flow of energy and heat to a solar panel, ensuring that as much power goes through the part as possible without overheating. Overheating can lead to a fire.

"A portion of SolarCity-installed modules and optimizers from various manufacturers were made with H4 connectors from Amphenol, a part that was commonly used across the industry at the time," a Tesla representative told Business Insider.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also, this is like the second sleeping "driver" video I've seen. On the one hand, it's better that the car doesn't crash when someone falls asleep but on the other people may be more prone to drive tired.

Buu my question is this. Could someone slowly "nudge" (without actual contact) the car to the shoulder where it would presumably stop? Would lane warnings wake up the driver before it even got that far?

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So what would happen if you use autopilot to have your car pick you up (say in a restaurant parking lot) and it mows down a pedestrian on the way?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:29 pm So what would happen if you use autopilot to have your car pick you up (say in a restaurant parking lot) and it mows down a pedestrian on the way?
"Unexpected item in baggage area."
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:12 pm Buu my question is this. Could someone slowly "nudge" (without actual contact) the car to the shoulder where it would presumably stop? Would lane warnings wake up the driver before it even got that far?
I don't think it will leave the current lane without driver intervention (ignoring NoA cases), but you could bring it to a stop in the lane. I'm not 100% what it does if you swerve into the side, but I suspect it would just brake rather than risk departing the lane.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:29 pm So what would happen if you use autopilot to have your car pick you up (say in a restaurant parking lot) and it mows down a pedestrian on the way?
autopilot requires a but in the seat. Enhanced summon is what you are talking about and for that you are supposed to be in position to monitor the car visually and it goes slow enough it should "mow" anyone down. It could knock somebody down, but not very hard and would likely stop immediately. My car won't even go over the lip into my garage so running someone over seems unlikely.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What's depicted in that video, if my eyes aren't deceiving me, won't actually happen in real life. If your hands are not on the wheel, the car will nuke your Autopilot within a matter of seconds (depending on speed and conditions--~15-60 seconds), then will slow down and stop the car. Either this guy is manipulating the wheel below the sightline of the camera, or his car is not functioning properly.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There was a police chase last year where a passed out DUI driver had to be stopped by cops getting in from of him and forcing the model 3 to stop. Presumably it was on autopilot, never heard the outcome of the investigation, but it was a fairly lengthy "chase". And I suppose you could fall asleep with your hands on the wheel or with a defeat device.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, I shouldn't have said can't happen, more like really is unlikely to. I've done well into five-figure miles on AP in 2 cars, and there's no way I could sleep and not have AP disengage quickly. Hands on the wheel really means 'applying torque to the sides of the wheel.' Resting a hand on the bottom won't do it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:30 pmResting a hand on the bottom won't do it.
With all of this being software-driven, what are the options for a hack or override that someone could kit in themselves? I've heard of people modding their Tesla's software before...
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Paingod wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:03 am
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:30 pmResting a hand on the bottom won't do it.
With all of this being software-driven, what are the options for a hack or override that someone could kit in themselves? I've heard of people modding their Tesla's software before...
It's possible to work around it, with devices that simulate hand torque by hanging something on one side of the wheel, to other equally stupid things. You know the saying about what happens when you idiot-proof something...