[Star Wars] Original Trilogy on DVD this fall...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

[Star Wars] Original Trilogy on DVD this fall...

Post by hentzau »

In case anyone is interested, the unaltered original trilogy will be released on DVD this fall.

So...Lucas gets more money out of me. Well played, George. Well played.

Linkage...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

"These aren't the DVDs you're looking for. Move along."

Or maybe...

"We're not just doing this for money...
We're doing it for a SHIT LOAD of money!"
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

"Gimme paw!"

If true, it means I'll finally be buying the series on dvd and the discs for ep.2 and 3. Figured Lucas would do it eventually to make more money, if not oh well.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Han Solo shoots first... I'm so verklempt.
Black Lives Matter
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Hmmm, let me see if I can do the math in my head... This means the number of Star Wars movies I will own on DVD will increase to 3.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Biyobi wrote:Han Solo shoots first... I'm so verklempt.
I don't like this phrase "Han shot first". It implies that Greedo shot second. Greedo never shot at all.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Too late. When Lucas announced that he would never release the original movies, I took him at his word. I purchased them transferred from laser disc to dvd by a fine Malaysian importer of such things. And I never bought his remakes, which I have no interest in owning.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I never bought the special edition set for this reason. I might buy this one, but to be honest I've seen those movies so many times that I doubt I would ever watch them. In that case I would be buying them just to buy them and I refuse to do that and support their scheme.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

So, in 2007 or 2008, he'll release them on HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and make another killing.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi
Most likely, follwed up by a "Pack" with all of the originals in one.. Then followed by a super-mega-pack with everything rolled into one. Then imagine the releases for the next decade in HD and the cycle of lameness begins again.

Fuck Lucas and his milking.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Who saw this coming? Raise your hand.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

*Raises Hand*

I don't care I'll probably grab them when it comes out in a set. He's using the Disney approch of selling his movies. Guess what? It works..
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

With all of the talk about how DVDs are a big waste of money, and expenses, gas and everythign else going up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big drop in DVD sales.

So maybe his Disney model won't be as profitable as he thinks. Time will tell I guess.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Now to decide if I care enough about the changes in the most recent versions (which I have) to buy the originals. Survey says....probably not, despite the fact that I prefer the originals.

I'll probably wait until the future re-release of the originals in HD-DVD or whatever.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

With all of the talk about how DVDs are a big waste of money
Who said they are big wastes of money? For the most part I think they are a good value. Sure there will always be a new better format but otherwise I don't see the problem with them.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Kobra

Post by Kobra »

Octavious230 wrote:
With all of the talk about how DVDs are a big waste of money
Who said they are big wastes of money? For the most part I think they are a good value. Sure there will always be a new better format but otherwise I don't see the problem with them.
Why spend 20 bucks on a movie you might watch once or not at all, when you can rent one for about a buck from Netflix or Blockbuster Online? Seems silly, but I have never purchased a DVD for myself, I couldn't imagine spending money on shelf decorations.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Some people are bigger movie fans than you and like to have a library of favorite films they can watch all or part of whenever they want.

I'm sure a lot of people would say the money you spend on your PC game collection seems silly.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I almost never pay 20 bucks from my DVDS. If you wait you can easily get them for 10 bucks and under unless they are big movies. I like being able to say hey I feel like watching blah blah blah and plopping it in. My Disney collection will be used A LOT when my daughter gets old enough to watch em.

I'm kind of getting sick of Netflix. 90 percent of the DVDs I get from them look like they were dragged behind a car. Not sure what the hell people do to the damn things aholes.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious230 wrote:I almost never pay 20 bucks from my DVDS. If you wait you can easily get them for 10 bucks and under unless they are big movies. I like being able to say hey I feel like watching blah blah blah and plopping it in. My Disney collection will be used A LOT when my daughter gets old enough to watch em.

I'm kind of getting sick of Netflix. 90 percent of the DVDs I get from them look like they were dragged behind a car. Not sure what the hell people do to the damn things aholes.
I usually pay ~$10 for a used DVD. I very occasionally buy a new DVD the week it comes out for ~$20. I don't think of myself as getting jacked ever. tenish buck is right around what I pay to see a movie in the theatre I don't have the bonus of having the movie sit at home for two months before I actually get around to watching and I can loan it out to friends if they like.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

kobra wrote:Why spend 20 bucks on a movie you might watch once or not at all, when you can rent one for about a buck from Netflix or Blockbuster Online? Seems silly, but I have never purchased a DVD for myself, I couldn't imagine spending money on shelf decorations.
okay, now i'm beginning to piece together the puzzle that is kobra. so far i've learned:

1) you've never owned a car because they're for suckers
2) you purchased a house approximately 18 seconds after you were born because renting is for suckers.
3) you've never purchased a dvd in your life because....well, you get the ideal.
4) you own 7 copies of every pc game ever made so that you and your family can play against each other in your personally built data center located at the heart of the Kobra Lair.

oh...i'm as a giddy as a paleontalogist at a "meet the missing link" party!

:D
He won. Period.
Padre

Post by Padre »

I'll wait for them on HypnoCube UltraDefinition in 2012.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Padre wrote:I'll wait for them on HypnoCube UltraDefinition in 2012.
Now with Cerebre-Link!
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: 4) you own 7 copies of every pc game ever made so that you and your family can play against each other in your personally built data center located at the heart of the Kobra Lair.
If not owning DVD's or a car gets you a lair, then sign me up!

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Kobra wrote:With all of the talk about how DVDs are a big waste of money, and expenses, gas and everythign else going up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big drop in DVD sales.

JEWWWWWSSSSS!!!!!
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jblank

Post by jblank »

In the end....who cares? So Han shoots first in one version and he doesn't in another, big whoop. I love Star Wars to death but the people that are so anal about the changes Lucas made need to find another hobby. Its just not that big of a deal and never took anything away from my enjoyment of those movies.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Some of the stuff just looks so out of place to me hense why I would want to buy the original movies.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

jblank wrote:In the end....who cares? So Han shoots first in one version and he doesn't in another, big whoop. I love Star Wars to death but the people that are so anal about the changes Lucas made need to find another hobby. Its just not that big of a deal and never took anything away from my enjoyment of those movies.
while normally i'd agree with the "don't sweat the small stuff" approach, i do have to speak up in defense of those who find that particular change in the script galling.

having hans shoot only as a defensive action robs the character of his edge, for me. he goes from being a ruthless mercenary we're not sure of yet, to a standard rogue with a heart of gold in that one scene alone.

that and the way they cgi'd it is incredibly goofy. it's like watching the flash in a gunfight.
He won. Period.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

It's about goddamn time, George! It's about goddamn time!!
Follow me as I make films at: xterminatingangel.com
"Don't waste your time or time will waste you."--Muse, 'Knights Of Cydonia'
Fear the Wiki!
jblank

Post by jblank »

Kobra wrote:With all of the talk about how DVDs are a big waste of money, and expenses, gas and everythign else going up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big drop in DVD sales.

So maybe his Disney model won't be as profitable as he thinks. Time will tell I guess.
*Looks around* who has been talking about DVD's being a big waste of money, besides you? Its comes off like anything that is popular or hot is automatically on your shit list and DVD's are no different.

For the record, DVD sales are still quite strong, in fact 2004 was the biggest year yet for DVD sales and though sales were down slightly in 2005, it had more to do with the DVD market maturing, fewer big releases, and fewer older movies and TV shows being released than in years past. The figures I am reading here that I googled don't even mention cost, so its not an issue.
jblank

Post by jblank »

hepcat wrote:
jblank wrote:In the end....who cares? So Han shoots first in one version and he doesn't in another, big whoop. I love Star Wars to death but the people that are so anal about the changes Lucas made need to find another hobby. Its just not that big of a deal and never took anything away from my enjoyment of those movies.
while normally i'd agree with the "don't sweat the small stuff" approach, i do have to speak up in defense of those who find that particular change in the script galling.

having hans shoot only as a defensive action robs the character of his edge, for me. he goes from being a ruthless mercenary we're not sure of yet, to a standard rogue with a heart of gold in that one scene alone.

that and the way they cgi'd it is incredibly goofy. it's like watching the flash in a gunfight.
Eh, maybe, but as a child of the 70's (so I rmember and have fond memories of the original) and a huge Star Wars fan, it never made my opinion of Solo differ at all. If you guys think that change (and the other minor ones) makes it worth $70.00 more for a double dip, then thats fine, but I'm more than happy with the 2004 trilogy release.
farley2k

Post by farley2k »

jblank wrote: Eh, maybe, but as a child of the 70's (so I rmember and have fond memories of the original) and a huge Star Wars fan, it never made my opinion of Solo differ at all. If you guys think that change (and the other minor ones) makes it worth $70.00 more for a double dip, then thats fine, but I'm more than happy with the 2004 trilogy release.

I think I hate the added scene with Jabba even more than the shooting. It recycles lines delivered elsewhere so it sounds stupid and the stepping on the tail thing while walking behind Jabba is just dumb.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night

- Dave Barry
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

farley2k wrote:
jblank wrote: Eh, maybe, but as a child of the 70's (so I rmember and have fond memories of the original) and a huge Star Wars fan, it never made my opinion of Solo differ at all. If you guys think that change (and the other minor ones) makes it worth $70.00 more for a double dip, then thats fine, but I'm more than happy with the 2004 trilogy release.

I think I hate the added scene with Jabba even more than the shooting. It recycles lines delivered elsewhere so it sounds stupid and the stepping on the tail thing while walking behind Jabba is just dumb.
i particularly like the tail scene. bad cgi causes hans to appear to "levitate" for a split second. also, there's an "outline" around hans that make it look like he's astrally projecting himself to jabba. :wink:
He won. Period.
Debris

Post by Debris »

What I really want is a hybrid version of the original and the CGI fest re-release. Take out some of the stupid CGI version stuff, like the Jabba scene (especially with Boba Fett stopping for a 2 second look into the camera), Greedo's lame-ass miss from a meter away and other things like the Jawa swinging from some startled herd creature as they enter Mos Eisley. Oh, yeah...The stupid explosion rings from Alderaan and the Death Star when they are destroyed were very lame.

However, they can keep the rebel attack on the Death Star, which was made 10x better than the original. Not to mention little things like the zoom in shots of the Jawa Sand Crawler and other small touches.

What are the chances? Yeah, didn't think so.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Debris wrote:However, they can keep the rebel attack on the Death Star, which was made 10x better than the original. Not to mention little things like the zoom in shots of the Jawa Sand Crawler and other small touches.
The version I have comes close. Lucas cleaned up a lot of the special effects artifacts and otherwise digitized the effects up right for the 1994 laser disc release. He just didn't add a bunch of scenes that were chopped from the originals for good reason, or otherwise meddle. The idea that the remade versions were Lucas's "original vision" is just horse dung.

The moment I hated most in Lucas's theatrical-release remakes was Luke screaming as he fell away from Vader at the climax of Empire. What on earth was the point of that? If Lucas's original vision called for Luke to scream like a baby, he could have screamed in 1980.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tareeq wrote:The moment I hated most in Lucas's theatrical-release remakes was Luke screaming as he fell away from Vader at the climax of Empire. What on earth was the point of that? If Lucas's original vision called for Luke to scream like a baby, he could have screamed in 1980.

Vader: I am you father
Luke: That's not true! That's impossible!
Vader: And princess Leia is your sister!
Luke: That's not true! That's...improbable.
Vader: And the Empire will be defeated by Ewokes.
Luke: That's...*chuckle*...very unlikely...
Vader: And as a child I built C-3P0
Luke:...huh..
*cut a few moment later Vader is leaning on the railing and holding a cup in his hand, Luke is smoking a cigarette.*
Vader: And the Force, that's just microscopic bicteria in your bloodstream called mediclorians.
Luke: *dropps the cigarette down the shaft and walks past Vader* Look, if you're not going to take this seriously, I'm out.
Debris

Post by Debris »

LordMortis wrote:
Vader: I am you father
Luke: That's not true! That's impossible!
Vader: And princess Leia is your sister!
Luke: That's not true! That's...improbable.
Vader: And the Empire will be defeated by Ewokes.
Luke: That's...*chuckle*...very unlikely...
Vader: And as a child I built C-3P0
Luke:...huh..
*cut a few moment later Vader is leaning on the railing and holding a cup in his hand, Luke is smoking a cigarette.*
Vader: And the Force, that's just microscopic bicteria in your bloodstream called mediclorians.
Luke: *dropps the cigarette down the shaft and walks past Vader* Look, if you're not going to take this seriously, I'm out.
Classic Robot Chicken! Hilarious.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote:also, there's an "outline" around hans that make it look like he's astrally projecting himself to jabba. :wink:
Who is Hans?

I'm firmly in the 'meh' camp about this re-release. I'm as big a Star Wars fanboy as they come, but the special editions really didn't bother me that much. Some parts were better, some were worse, but it didn't really change things a whole lot. If I want to watch the originals, I'll break out the original VHS box set I've got stored away in the basement. I never understood the whole hubbub about Greedo shooting first. If it really bothers you that much, mix in a well-timed blink and it will be just like it never happened.

Oh, and George is also getting his own Stormtrooper action figure.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: I never understood the whole hubbub about Greedo shooting first. If it really bothers you that much, mix in a well-timed blink and it will be just like it never happened.

[url]
so it's up to the audience to edit george's films from now on?

...well, after the ep. I, that may not be a bad thing. :wink:
He won. Period.
AWS260

Re: [Star Wars] Original Trilogy on DVD this fall...

Post by AWS260 »

This seems like the most recent thread about the original trilogy, so I'll resurrect it to share that my son has finally watched A New Hope for the first time. He is 11.

We have been trying to make this moment happen for the better part of a decade, without strapping him to a chair Clockwork Orange-style. Finally.

(He liked it.)
Daehawk

Re: [Star Wars] Original Trilogy on DVD this fall...

Post by Daehawk »

The last trilogy I bought was on VHS right before they added all that stuff that sucks into them. They are still original originals.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"