[Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: [Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Post by Paingod »

For Christmas my mother likes to give disposables - toothpaste, deodorant, razors, shampoo - as "Stocking Stuffers" (along with cash hidden in random things). I didn't tell her what kind of razors I liked, since I haven't developed a preference. She fell back on an old email where I mentioned Feather blades.

The last time I tried these, I was basically turning Freddy Kruger loose on my face. Each and every time, I came out bloody from a dozen nicks and cuts. I tried soap, lather, and simple hot water. I gave up.

This time I tried to change how I shaved, not just what was on my face. Feather razors require a touch that matches the name. With most blades, I have to apply at least a gentle pressure to make sure I get a good, close shave. With a Feather blade, I just need to pretend I'm using the razor to wipe off the shaving cream, and that's made the difference. I've gone from bloody mess to clean shave and am pretty happy with that.

It does require a good hot soak, lathered face, and hot razor rinse with each pass. With other blades I could get by with the hot soak and hot razor, just using water.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

So I've recently purchased a couple of boar brushes (Omega Pro $12 and Semogue Owner's Club $27). I can't believe I never gave boar a chance before now. Those brushes are fantastic.

If you are on the fence about using a soap and brush, grab an Omega Pro and give it a chance. They make great lathers and get softer and softer as the boar hairs split (a good thing).
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

McNutt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:18 am So I've recently purchased a couple of boar brushes (Omega Pro $12 and Semogue Owner's Club $27). I can't believe I never gave boar a chance before now. Those brushes are fantastic.

If you are on the fence about using a soap and brush, grab an Omega Pro and give it a chance. They make great lathers and get softer and softer as the boar hairs split (a good thing).
Indeed, I also very much enjoy my boar brushes. In fact, perhaps my favourite travel brush is an Omega Model 11047 'Mighty Midget' mixed Badger and Boar brush:

Enlarge Image

It's small enough to fit within a standard pill container, but has the backbone to handle hard soaps and always generates a great lather very quickly despite its diminutive size. Bowl lathering and face lathering are equally effective. I've found it to be a surprisingly impressive little workhorse that definitely lives up to its name.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

People still shave?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:dance:

Read up on the blade samples to see which one you should start with. For reference, I've been shaving the a DE razor now for like 15+ years and I am still afraid of Feather blades. But that sample pack is a great way to figure out what works best.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

1. Astra Superior Platinum
2. Bic Chrome Platinum
3. Derby Extra
4. Drco St301 Stainless
5. Feather New HiStainless
6. GiIIette Platinum
7. GiIIette Silver Blue
8. Mrkur Super Platinum
9. Personna Platinum
10. Bolzano Super Inox
11. Shark Super Stainless
12. SuperMax Super Stainless
13. Treet Platinum
14. Voskhod Teflon Coated
15. Wilkinson Sword (Germany)

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been using Derby Extra now for 10+ years, I think. I just buy them by the 100 pack (it's a big cardboard sleeve) and usually get 3-5 days a blade. Those blades and this soap = bliss.

I'm definitely raising an eyebrow over the suggestion that Feathers are for beginners.
RunningMn9

[Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove kept me terrified of Feather blades. I use some kind of Sharks and they have always been kind to me. I think I also have some Viking blades.

But at this point, shaving is for suckers.

Edit: yeah, those shark super chromes are what I use
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's the only sense of normalcy I have - don't take it from me!

EDIT: I used Shark blades for a long time. But something about the Derby blades agrees with the copper wire that is my facial hair.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

I've tried Feather. It's definitely sharp, but nothing to be afraid of. I think Feathers work well for me because my growth is slow and my hair isn't overly bristly. Doesn't dull the blades very quickly. Personna blades also lasted me an absurdly long time. Gillette were merely okay: I liked the Silver Blue more than the 7 o'clock. All this is using a vintage Gillette Super Speed.

My facial hair must not be very demanding; all blades seem to work decently well with me.
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:52 pm I've been using Derby Extra now for 10+ years, I think. I just buy them by the 100 pack (it's a big cardboard sleeve) and usually get 3-5 days a blade. Those blades and this soap = bliss.
Yeah, but using Provence Sante shaving soap minus the distinctive terra cotta bowl they used to sell it in is sacrilege:

Enlarge Image

Suffice to say, if you lack the necessary shaving flowerpot you miss out on the authentic Gallic experience.
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:52 pmI'm definitely raising an eyebrow over the suggestion that Feathers are for beginners.
Indeed, beginners ought to tread mighty carefully if using Feather blades because mistakes will be punished harshly.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I want that bowl! I'm using a porcelain finger bowl and feel like I'm missing out. :(
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I've been using Feather blades exclusively but I only shave 3 times a week at most. I have a very light touch and my beard is only heavy in the goatee area.

If you come to my house to cook I don't let you use my chef knives

I have wonderful loaner knives but I don't keep them razor like I do my knives.

Having said that, pretty much every time I switch out to a new razor blade, within a shave or three I nick a knuckle or fingernail. Those Feather blades are no joke. They grab skin when they touch it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I've had more nicks with Astras than I have with Feathers. When I get them in a sample pack I just set them aside to use for scoring bread.

I don't use Feathers much though. I like the Sharks, Sharps, and Personna Blues.
Anonymous Bosch

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:08 pm I've been using Feather blades exclusively but I only shave 3 times a week at most. I have a very light touch and my beard is only heavy in the goatee area.

Having said that, pretty much every time I switch out to a new razor blade, within a shave or three I nick a knuckle or fingernail. Those Feather blades are no joke. They grab skin when they touch it.
Therin lies the key to using Feather blades appropriately. But it's important to remember that it does take time for newcomers to adjust to shaving with a DE razor and 'unlearn' many of the bad habits one tends to acquire from years of shaving with overpriced rubbery-plastic razors. So it seems only prudent to avoid starting out with among the sharpest and least-forgiving brands of DE razor blades around.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I just bought a dozen-pack of Fusion blades I'm good for at least year, but as long as I'm not working, I'm only shaving every other day so maybe these will last 2 years.
Black Lives Matter
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:08 pm I've been using Feather blades exclusively but I only shave 3 times a week at most. I have a very light touch and my beard is only heavy in the goatee area.

If you come to my house to cook I don't let you use my chef knives

I have wonderful loaner knives but I don't keep them razor like I do my knives.

I tend to feel most uncomfortable around DE blades when they lose their sharpness. Feathers require... well, a feather touch, but they work exquisitely well. Maybe too well?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Blades are definitely something people need to try for themselves and samplers are great. People swear by certain brands that are terrible for me. I have tried at least 15 brands and now know what I like and have probably 300 of that brand just in case. . .

I'll just give a few recommendations:

Try a nice razor. Merkur make fine razors and I've owned about ten of them. I was happy as a clam until I went to the next level. Razors by Rockwell, Blackland and Timeless really took it to the next level. When I first shaved with my Blackbird I was blown away by how much closer that shave was. It was amazing.

Don't overlook boar brushes. I have spent more than I care to admit on fancy badger brushes. I still have a custom Shavemac badger that is in my rotation and I love it. But I love several of my boar brushes that cost <$40 just as much. Give boar a try.

Two brands of soaps that are worth a look:
Haslinger - These soaps are not heavily scented, but I have yet to find a soap that creates a better lather. They are fantastic.
Sterling - What I love about Stirling is they have a ton of scents, so you're guaranteed to find one you like. The lather is as good as any of the other boutique brands, but is a better value.

I think I've been shaving this way for about 15 years and I still look forward to my shaves every day.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

There are still elements of this thing that I don’t understand. I have a Merkur razor. I have a badger brush.

I don’t understand having a rotation of brushes. Or more than one razor. Once you find the blades that work for your use case, like those are the only blades I will ever get.

I do get different soaps and creams. Different scents, etc.

But the equipment itself? Can I assume that the different razors are going to expose more/less of the blade, and change the angle? Stuff like that?

What do different brushes do for you? Besides travel alternatives I mean.
Make up bags of change
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Razors will definitely change the outcome of the shave. The angle and blade exposure be different.

Brushes are just for variety. I rotate between big and firm, medium and soft, etc.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That’s some expensive variety. :)
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

You people just cost me a lot of money. :(

Finally restocked blades for the first time in like 8 years, and needed more shaving cream (I generally like Sandalwood varieties, and generally favor Taylor of Old Bond Street), and my aftershave balm (Truefitt & Hill).

No need for new razors or brushes though. ;)
Make up bags of change
Anonymous Bosch

Indeed, delving into brush and razor variety mostly falls into the collector/hobbyist aspects of wet-shaving and certainly isn't necessary.

Different razors can and do expose more or less of the blade. Some are fully adjustable while others vary the aggressiveness of the razor by providing different baseplate designs like an open comb design instead of the more traditional safety bar (open comb razors excel at cutting through thick stubble, making them ideal for those with coarse facial hair). Slant-bar razors are designed more akin to a mini-guillotine for stubble, with the slant providing an even more efficient cutting angle for a DE blade that can provide a closer shave more quickly. And twist-to-open butterfly razors greatly speed up and simplify the blade-changing process.

Here's a decent write-up on the various aspects of shaving brushes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

First shave down. The handle came with a Merkur Super Platinum, so I used. I nicked myself in three places. One of which is a skin protrusion, a second one was unexpected, and a the third was, somehow, a nick on the ear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did we forget to remind you about the styptic pencil? Sorry about that - they really should come with every new DE razor set. I rarely cut myself anymore. Like 1 in 100 shaves. Of course, now that I said it, I'll fully expect to nick myself tomorrow.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

An alum block made it into the next Amazon order, along with a disposal case. Should be here Sunday.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:00 pm First shave down. The handle came with a Merkur Super Platinum, so I used. I nicked myself in three places. One of which is a skin protrusion, a second one was unexpected, and a the third was, somehow, a nick on the ear.
I've got a little skin protrusion that I have to be careful around, and the irony is it started life as a shaving nick :evil:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:19 pm I think I've been shaving this way for about 15 years and I still look forward to my shaves every day.
You...look forward...to shaving?

These words. I understand them, but yet, I don't understand them.
Hodor.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I shave every day and enjoy every minute of it.

Anonymous Bosch

McNutt wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:54 pm I shave every day and enjoy every minute of it.

Amen.

It's a chance to spend a little meditative time to yourself, concentrate on something that shuts out the world -- albeit temporarily -- with something that feels great, smells great, creates a mood, and invariably leaves you looking and feeling better. It's difficult to adequately describe, but there's truly something wonderfully relaxing about applying warm, fragrant lather with a brush and shaving with a single blade razor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I don’t shave every day (not by a long shot), but I can confirm that taking the time to do it right is a pretty relaxing affair. When I shave, I can’t say that I don’t enjoy it. If you look back to the beginning of the thread, you will note my prior opinions on the matter. :)
Make up bags of change
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:19 pm Blades are definitely something people need to try for themselves and samplers are great. People swear by certain brands that are terrible for me. I have tried at least 15 brands and now know what I like and have probably 300 of that brand just in case. . .

Try a nice razor. Merkur make fine razors and I've owned about ten of them. I was happy as a clam until I went to the next level. Razors by Rockwell, Blackland and Timeless really took it to the next level. When I first shaved with my Blackbird I was blown away by how much closer that shave was. It was amazing.
Although i have not tried a Blackbird, i cannot see how the $185 handle is that much better of a shave than my $35 Merkur 34C heavy.

I’m just a bit old and curmudgeonly. I do myself have 3 brushes, but have a tendency to use one more than the others. Soaps and shave creams on the other hand, i am still trying new ones. That is where the fun is. I am also a daily shaver and enjoy it.

Oh, and you are all pansies. 😀 Feathers are the only thing to use. Anything else just tugs and is not a clean shave.

But i am also a straight razor shaver, so there is that.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The handle doesn't make the shave better. The head on the Blackbird or the Rockwell give me a better shave. The angle and blade exposure make the shave closer than my Merkurs.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

A nonny mouse wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:08 pm
McNutt wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:19 pm Blades are definitely something people need to try for themselves and samplers are great. People swear by certain brands that are terrible for me. I have tried at least 15 brands and now know what I like and have probably 300 of that brand just in case. . .

Although i have not tried a Blackbird, i cannot see how the $185 handle is that much better of a shave than my $35 Merkur 34C heavy.

I’m just a bit old and curmudgeonly. I do myself have 3 brushes, but have a tendency to use one more than the others. Soaps and shave creams on the other hand, i am still trying new ones. That is where the fun is. I am also a daily shaver and enjoy it.

Oh, and you are all pansies. 😀 Feathers are the only thing to use. Anything else just tugs and is not a clean shave.

But i am also a straight razor shaver, so there is that.
That's a bridge too far for me. I enjoy the safety part of safety razor. Do you use one with replaceable blades?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:This thread is a gift - truly. I started re-reading it last night from page one and it delivers. :banana-dance:
In re-reading this thread from the early days again, my hatred has been renewed.

I’m still rolling with the same tools I bought back in Sept 2015. I have a $30 Omega Pure Badger Brush and a Merkur Heavy Duty DE razor (short handle) which was like $35.

I never quite got the hang of soaps. I think Smoove gave me some and I still have it. I’ve tried it, but it’s just been harder for me to get the lather I want.

I’ve got a Proraso pre-shave cream that I haven’t used in a while. I should probably get back to that. I have a T&H pre-shave oil that was like $20. I don’t remember ever using it though.

On the shaving creams side, that’s where I made an early mistake. That pump garbage was a waste of money IMO. I have a tube of unscented Proraso cream that’s good. I have a tub of Viking cream (Sandalwood) which I don’t know where that came from. I generally like the Taylor of Old Bond Street tubs. I like the Sandalwood, but occasionally use a Peppermint as well. I think I also have a tube of Rose scented, but haven’t tried it.

I have a tub of T&H West Indies Limes which I really liked, that is almost gone.

I have a giant tub of that Lucky Tiger disappearing cream that I use if I feel like things got too sensitive during the shave.

Haven’t needed that in a while. My go to on that front is Truefitt & Hill aftershave balm. I have the West Indian Limes (not sure why the names are different), and another bottle but in Sandalwood arriving Monday. That shit is expensive, but it’s the one element that lets me pretend that I’m a goddamn gentleman.

I currently I have 160 blades on hand, so I probably won’t ever need to buy them again.

I don’t shave often of late, but I need to do something to fix my brain during this pandemic and a more regimented routine might be that thing.

F Smoove B.

Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:10 pmF Smoove B.
:dance:
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Get a puck of Sterling soap. You'll quickly become a soap user.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

McNutt wrote:Get a puck of Sterling soap. You'll quickly become a soap user.
I know enough now to not dispute this, but I’m up to my ears in creams at the moment. :)
Make up bags of change
Anonymous Bosch

McNutt wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:00 pm Get a puck of Sterling soap. You'll quickly become a soap user.
Absolutely, you cannot go wrong with the price-performance ratio of Stirling Soap's tallow goodness. The scent of their Executive Man Shaving Soap is terrific, too.