[Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: [Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

msteelers wrote:Any suggestions for a good shaving cream on a budget? The soap puck that came with my shaving kit is almost gone, and I want to try a cream this time.
You can't really go wrong with Proraso, which is famous for its refreshingly mentholated coolness. If you prefer to buy from a local brick & mortar store, IIRC, it's available from most Bath & Body Works stores as C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream with Eucalyptus Oil.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think Musgo Real makes a great line of creams. Taylor of Old Bond Street is as good as the other big two English creams (the Truefitt & Hill and Trumpers), but doesn't cost as much.

If you want a cool shave, take AB's advice and get Proraso. It's very good.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

With a birthday passing the other day, some additional fancy man items are inbound.

Picked up a tub of the Taylor of Old bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream, and a tube of Proraso shaving cream. That is probably enough shaving cream for a couple of years. Enough at least to put off the Truefitt & Hill products until Christmas. :)

Also finally bought the Merkur 34C HD, some Shark Super Chrome blades, and a fancy new razor/brush stand.

My face isn't adjusting as well to the every other day shaving regimen as I imagined, and I am prepared to blame the Fusion blade. We shall see. This will be the final experiment, and I'll be honest, I'm expecting to be proven completely wrong (based on my earlier position). I know what I'm doing with the Fusion, but the last few shaves have really created some irritation, and I don't care for it.

I will report back after I give myself a chance to adjust to the new razor and blades.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

My skin is adjusting wonderfully to every other day.

I'm actually considering trying daily. Something very relaxing, to be honest, with my shaving ritual that I'd love to do it nightly.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I'm hoping that with proper usage of the safety razor, this will improve.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:dance:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

:roll:
18-1™ & 2-0
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Shaved with the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood today. Holy Underpants. I am stunned at the difference, even between it and the already upscale shaving cream I've been using. Trent, I've been where you are. I was wrong. Really, really wrong.
Make up bags of change
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I still recommend you try a hard soap too. I think my recommendation for first soaps would be either a glycerine soap from QED or Provence Sainte mentioned earlier in this thread.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I have a hard soap from Smoove to try eventually. So many choices.
Make up bags of change
Anonymous Bosch

RunningMn9 wrote:My face isn't adjusting as well to the every other day shaving regimen as I imagined, and I am prepared to blame the Fusion blade. We shall see. This will be the final experiment, and I'll be honest, I'm expecting to be proven completely wrong (based on my earlier position). I know what I'm doing with the Fusion, but the last few shaves have really created some irritation, and I don't care for it.

I will report back after I give myself a chance to adjust to the new razor and blades.
In terms of keeping irritation to a minimum, I think one of the most important -- and definitely most invigorating -- parts of traditional wet-shaving that often gets overlooked is suitable preparation before the shave itself. In my experience, preparing the face for shaving is perhaps the most crucial aspect of obtaining a great shave and minimising irritation. That being said, sometimes multi-blade razors can be too good, meaning that they shave too closely, which leads to razor bumps, ingrown hairs, and the like.

Shaving immediately after (or during) a shower is an obvious step in the right direction. But one simple trick I learned from an outstanding Greek barber in the UK, is to wash and lather the beard, and then apply a dampened hot towel -- ideally, as hot as one can tolerate -- over the lathered beard and neck area. I typically lean back, and meditate for a good two minutes or so with the hot towel molded around my face and neck. The heat of the towel, combined with the lather, softens the beard like nothing else I've ever encountered. Remove the towel and wipe off what's left, re-lather, and you're good to go for the first pass. It only adds a few additional minutes to the shave, but it feels absolutely fantastic, and dramatically improves the comfort and quality of the shave. There’s just something incredibly relaxing, intoxicating, and luxurious about the heat and scent of a warm, fragrant towel on your face. Sometimes, instead of regular lather, I'll use Musgo Real Glycerine Lime Oil soap (MR GLO) or a pre-shave cream like Proraso or even Noxzema (which has the advantage of being exceptionally inexpensive and widely available from pretty much any drugstore) and apply the hot towel over that instead.

In fact, I went the extra step of buying proper barber/facial wrap towels, as they're the perfect size and shape for the job. They're also much softer and thicker than most normal towels and facecloths, and do a vastly superior job of retaining heat as a result. If I'm not shaving immediately after a shower, I just dampen a towel, microwave it for a minute or so, and take it into the bathroom on a plate. I swear, it's the next best thing to a traditional barbershop shave with a straight razor.

Of course, i realise how daft that likely all sounds to someone like Trent Steel, who's perhaps more accustomed to shaving products with scents akin to nondescript underarm deodorant. All I can say, is don't knock it until you've tried it.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, I used to shave with Noxema with good old disposable razors. I'm all electric now though. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:My face isn't adjusting as well to the every other day shaving regimen as I imagined, and I am prepared to blame the Fusion blade. We shall see. This will be the final experiment, and I'll be honest, I'm expecting to be proven completely wrong (based on my earlier position). I know what I'm doing with the Fusion, but the last few shaves have really created some irritation, and I don't care for it.

In terms of keeping irritation to a minimum, I think one of the most important -- and definitely most invigorating -- parts of traditional wet-shaving that often gets overlooked is suitable preparation before the shave itself. In my experience, preparing the face for shaving is perhaps the most crucial aspect of obtaining a great shave and minimising irritation. That being said, sometimes multi-blade razors can be too good, meaning that they shave too closely, which leads to razor bumps, ingrown hairs, and the like.

Shaving immediately after (or during) a shower is an obvious step in the right direction. But one simple trick I learned from an outstanding Greek barber in the UK, is to wash and lather the beard, and then apply a dampened hot towel -- ideally, as hot as one can tolerate -- over the lathered beard and neck area. I typically lean back, and meditate for a good two minutes or so with the hot towel molded around my face and neck. The heat of the towel, combined with the lather, softens the beard like nothing else I've ever encountered. Remove the towel and wipe off what's left, re-lather, and you're good to go for the first pass. It only adds a few additional minutes to the shave, but it feels absolutely fantastic, and dramatically improves the comfort and quality of the shave. There’s just something incredibly relaxing, intoxicating, and luxurious about the heat and scent of a warm, fragrant towel on your face. Sometimes, instead of regular lather, I'll use Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil soap (MR GLO) or a pre-shave cream like Proraso or even Noxzema (which has the advantage of being exceptionally inexpensive and widely available from pretty much any drugstore) and apply the hot towel over that instead.

In fact, I went the extra step of buying proper barber/facial wrap towels, as they're the perfect size and shape for the job. They're also much softer and thicker than most normal towels and facecloths, and do a vastly superior job of retaining heat as a result. If I'm not shaving immediately after a shower, I just dampen a towel, microwave it for a minute or so, and take it into the bathroom on a plate. I swear, it's the next best thing to a traditional barbershop shave with a straight razor.

Of course, i realise how daft that likely all sounds to someone like Trent Steel, who's perhaps more accustomed to shaving products with scents akin to nondescript underarm deodorant. All I can say, is don't knock it until you've tried it.
I totally agree with this assessment.

Like I mention above, I'm getting fabulous results shaving every other day. I get no burn or irritation. I'll also add another step I think is important and that's daily skin care.

I've personally found Burt's Bee's aftershave lotion to be sensational. I use this on my face in the morning and before bed. If I shave, it goes on after the shave. What this does is helps heal my face from the act of shaving. Again, I'm getting no irritation from shaves. However, the Burt's Bee's helps heal the areas I just scraped off with the razor. I have no doubt this is perhaps the most part of keeping my face healthy, between shaves.

I really can't stress this enough.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Of course, i realise how daft that likely all sounds to someone like Trent Steel, who's perhaps more accustomed to shaving products with scents akin to nondescript underarm deodorant. All I can say, is don't knock it until you've tried it.
I won't knock it...but that seems more insane than everything else. Like as a rare event to feel special? Ok. Part of a daily routine? Oy.

So far, my process is as follows:

1) Prep face with hot shower, which brush soaks in steaming hot water.
2) Get out of shower and apply Proraso pre-shave cream.
3) Make some fancy lad lather with brush and fancy steel bowl.
4) Apply lather to face with brush, and shave with the grain.
5) Rinse face with hot water, and wipe clean with hot towel.
6) Apply lather to face with brush, and shave across the grain.
5) Rince face with hot water, and wipe clean with hot towel.

6a) Apply Lucky Tiger Disappearing Cream Aftershave Balm.

6b) Apply later to face by hand to see if there are any areas that need touching up
7b) Shave where necessary, against grain.
8b) Rinse face with hot water, and wipe clean with hot towel.
9b) Apply Lucky Tiger Disappearing Cream Aftershave Balm.

I stopped the B track for a while because of the irritation, but I think the problem was the Men-U shaving cream I was using. It was garbage compared to the Taylor of Old Bond Street. I did the three full passes yesterday with the 4-bladed Dollar Shave Club cartridge and all went well. The Merkur won't arrive until Tuesday.
Make up bags of change
Anonymous Bosch

RunningMn9 wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:Of course, i realise how daft that likely all sounds to someone like Trent Steel, who's perhaps more accustomed to shaving products with scents akin to nondescript underarm deodorant. All I can say, is don't knock it until you've tried it.
I won't knock it...but that seems more insane than everything else. Like as a rare event to feel special? Ok. Part of a daily routine? Oy.
Perhaps I did a poor job of explaining it, but it's not a complex additional step to include in the process at all. To clarify, in the routine you described, it'd simply mean one additional step:
RunningMn9 wrote:So far, my process is as follows:

1) Prep face with hot shower, which brush soaks in steaming hot water.
2) Get out of shower and apply Proraso pre-shave cream.
2b) Apply dampened hot washcloth/towel -- as hot as can be tolerated -- over beard/neck area, and let it soak in for two minutes.
3) Make some fancy lad lather with brush and fancy steel bowl.
Or:
RunningMn9 wrote: 1) Prep face with hot shower, which brush soaks in steaming hot water.
2) Get out of shower and do a quick once-over of beard/neck area with the soap/cream you'll be shaving with.
3) Apply dampened hot washcloth/towel -- as hot as can be tolerated -- over lathered beard/neck area, and let it soak in for two minutes.

Bear in mind, at Step 2, it doesn't even need to be a proper lather (as in Step 4); just a nice, soapy coat of protolather does the trick. In terms of time, it shouldn't add more than three minutes at most to the overall process. But considering the payoff in terms of the quality and comfort of the shave, I've found it to be a surprisingly easy and convenient step to incorporate into the routine.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

If there comes a time when I am sitting in my bathroom meditating while a hot towel is wrapped around my face, Trent has instructions to punch me in the taint. At least until I try it and find out that it's wonderful. :)
Make up bags of change
Anonymous Bosch

RunningMn9 wrote:If there comes a time when I am sitting in my bathroom meditating while a hot towel is wrapped around my face, Trent has instructions to punch me in the taint. At least until I try it and find out that it's wonderful. :)
It's merely a matter of embracing your inner De Niro/Capone.

Enlarge Image

(Although in the above-linked scene, any barber worth his salt should've applied lather ahead of the hot towel).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:If there comes a time when I am sitting in my bathroom meditating while a hot towel is wrapped around my face...
Right -- the last thing you'd want is for shaving to become ritualistic - bordering on ceremonial in presentation. :D
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Today was the day. Busted out the Merkur 34C HD, with the included blade (I also have 50 Shark Super Chromes and a few free Derby blades from Smoove). I already have a pretty light touch with the cartridge razors, so that part went without a hitch.

Just did a single pass, all the same direction (down), just to get familiar with the tool without trying to do too much at once. Some observations:

1) After you start, it doesn't feel any less safe to me than a normal cartridge blade. There was an initial "please don't cut my face off", but after that no real worries.

2) No cuts or anything, but due to the lack of familiarity, things weren't as close as I normally get even with just a single pass. Missed a few spots, but accepted it as a Day One consequence. Should improve with time.

3) Pretty comfortable. I feel like I could shave everyday with this, which is not something I could say for the cartridges. No discomfort at all.

4) The main issue I see is just learning to maintain the proper angle to keep the razor on the skin, and dealing with curves.

I'm no longer full of terror though, so that's good. :)
Make up bags of change
Anonymous Bosch

RunningMn9 wrote:Today was the day. Busted out the Merkur 34C HD, with the included blade (I also have 50 Shark Super Chromes and a few free Derby blades from Smoove). I already have a pretty light touch with the cartridge razors, so that part went without a hitch.

Just did a single pass, all the same direction (down), just to get familiar with the tool without trying to do too much at once. Some observations:

1) After you start, it doesn't feel any less safe to me than a normal cartridge blade. There was an initial "please don't cut my face off", but after that no real worries.

2) No cuts or anything, but due to the lack of familiarity, things weren't as close as I normally get even with just a single pass. Missed a few spots, but accepted it as a Day One consequence. Should improve with time.

3) Pretty comfortable. I feel like I could shave everyday with this, which is not something I could say for the cartridges. No discomfort at all.

4) The main issue I see is just learning to maintain the proper angle to keep the razor on the skin, and dealing with curves.

I'm no longer full of terror though, so that's good. :)
Sounds like you certainly began with the right approach.

Shaving with a single blade is definitely more of a beard-reduction process compared with most multiblade cartridge razors. So the fact that you weren't tempted into overcompensating in a quest for Baby Bottom Smooveness™ is a major step in the right direction.

You'll get the hang of the angle for the razor in no time. I found the easiest method of learning the correct angle was to just shave without any distracting background noise when first learning the ropes. The feeling and sound your whiskers make when shaving at the correct angle is quite distinctive (at least it was for me), so it only takes a little practice until maintaining the correct angle quickly becomes second nature.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:The feeling and sound your whiskers make when shaving at the correct angle is quite distinctive (at least it was for me), so it only takes a little practice until maintaining the correct angle quickly becomes second nature.
Yeah, there is absolutely no doubt when the angle is "right" (i.e. effective). It's hard to describe, but it felt like I was scraping facial hair off my face (a function of the feel and sound). But without any nicks, I'll take it as a solid day one effort. :)
Make up bags of change
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I bought me a sampler pack of different razors so i can try out the popular razors i'm hearing about.

So, i tried a feathers razor and holy freaking cow!!! I seriously have never bled as much as i have in my life from shaving. Tonight was my second shave with them, thinking the first night was a fluke.....no way!

I was really bringing the blood after my first pass!

This makes me even question whether i should even try the other blades. The merkur blades i've been using have been great. Maybe i shouldn't change something that is working.

I feel cheated with the last two shaves!!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I think Feather are well known for being one of the sharpest blades.
Anonymous Bosch

Yes, depending on the blade exposure of the particular razor you're using, Feather blades are somewhat notorious for their aggressive nature (e.g. I found using Feather blades in my slant bar razor was a definite no-no).

Personally, I've found that Russian blades seem to be most agreeable for my face (e.g. Polsilver Super Iridium or Gillette Silver Blues). One minor downside is that they come packaged in cardboard instead of the usual plastic boxes with the handy blade disposal slot for used blades. But I simply repurposed an old Altoids tin as a blade bank, so it's hardly a major inconvenience.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You can buy blade banks for about $1 or you can super glue a small peanut butter jar shut and cut a little slit in the top. That blade bank will last you about 20 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not like the old days.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Xmann wrote:I bought me a sampler pack of different razors so i can try out the popular razors i'm hearing about.

So, i tried a feathers razor and holy freaking cow!!! I seriously have never bled as much as i have in my life from shaving. Tonight was my second shave with them, thinking the first night was a fluke.....no way!

I was really bringing the blood after my first pass!

This makes me even question whether i should even try the other blades. The merkur blades i've been using have been great. Maybe i shouldn't change something that is working.

I feel cheated with the last two shaves!!
are you applying pressure when shaving? The thing about safety razors that takes some getting used to is let the weight of the razor do the work. if you apply pressure like with the multi-bladed heads, you will bleed.

I guess maybe I found my perfect combo: Merkur 34C heavy with feathers. never a problem unless I am really rushing and I accidentally don't lift the razor enough and slide it sideways. ouch.

all other blades, while good, only last maybe 3 days before they start pulling. I just re-tried the wilkenson swords (india) and it lasted 3 days. Merkur blades just don't work for me anymore /shrug.

Use what works, or once you really get comfortable, re try the feathers. they are exceptional.

Also, make sure your lather is providing enough slickness and cushion. there are some soaps for me that aren't slick enough so I have a bit rougher shave.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Anonymous Bosch

A nonny mouse wrote:Also, make sure your lather is providing enough slickness and cushion. there are some soaps for me that aren't slick enough so I have a bit rougher shave.
One simple and surefire tip for adding super-slickness to any soap: get a tube of Cremo shave cream.

Enlarge Image

It's perhaps one of the most widely available decent shaving creams there is; I've seen it in Target and Walmart stores, as well as most drugstores, and even a few grocery stores. It usually costs around $7 or $8. So I always keep a tube handy, as it also works surprisingly well as a brushless product (making it ideal for travel, or when you just need a super quick and easy wet-shave).

While it functions as an adequate shaving cream with a brush in its own right, the real magic occurs when you add a little to the lather generated from your shaving soap of choice. Because that creates an uber-lather with such mind-boggling slickness, it's akin to WD-40 for your face. So give it a whirl; you won't be disappointed.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
A nonny mouse wrote:Also, make sure your lather is providing enough slickness and cushion. there are some soaps for me that aren't slick enough so I have a bit rougher shave.
One simple and surefire tip for adding super-slickness to any soap: get a tube of Cremo shave cream.

Enlarge Image

It's perhaps one of the most widely available decent shaving creams there is; I've seen it in Target and Walmart stores, as well as most drugstores, and even a few grocery stores. It usually costs around $7 or $8. So I always keep a tube handy, as it also works surprisingly well as a brushless product (making it ideal for travel, or when you just need a super quick and easy wet-shave).

While it functions as an adequate shaving cream with a brush in its own right, the real magic occurs when you add a little to the lather generated from your shaving soap of choice. Because that creates an uber-lather with such mind-boggling slickness, it's akin to WD-40 for your face. So give it a whirl; you won't be disappointed.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been shaving with safety razors and straights for 10+ years and have figured out what works for me. The soaps that just dont work are in the minority and i just don't use them. Just like rose scented soaps/ creams/whatever give me a rash so I Avoid them. Thank God i don't react to sandalwood because I love it!
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

So I think I've learnt my lesson.

I bought a sample pack of razors and none work as good as the Merkur blades I first started out with.

I can shave every other day with my Merkur blades and have little to no irritation and get relatively smooth. With the other blades from the sample pack, I get mixed results. Feathers cut me to pieces. Shark didn't give me the closeness.

For now, at least, I'm done experimenting. Merkur blades it is.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Xmann wrote:For now, at least, I'm done experimenting. Merkur blades it is.
I've tried the Merkur blade that came with my razor and didn't have any problems with it at all. I then tried some blades from Smoove_B (Derby Extras), and I've been using some Shark Super Chromes as well. The Derby's resulted in a significant increase in razor burn, even on my cheeks where I never had issues before. The Sharks are ok (an occasional nick, but other than that ok). But neither feel as comfortable as the Merkur blade did. Of course, the Merkur blades are relatively expensive as these things go, which makes me not want to buy them. :)

A 30-pack of Merkur Super Platinums is like $19 on Amazon. Which is the same price as 200 Shark Super Stainless blades. :)
Make up bags of change
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

I should have read this thread more.

Bought a Merkur Long safety razor and a box of the Derby Razors (100 count) on Amazon. I hear Derby blades are good for starting out and were less than 10 bucks. But then read Runningmn9's latest reply and thinking :/....

Blades and Razor comes in a week. I am going to buy the shaving cream local (since I want to smell the scents).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It really all depends - there is no one right answer. The Derby's might work great for you (as they do for me), but experimenting with blades and soaps/creams is half the fun.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Yeah, I wouldn't base any decisions on my experiences blade-wise. Buying Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream? Yes, listen to that advice. With the blades, it could have all been pilot error. I don't know.
Make up bags of change
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Binktopia wrote:I should have read this thread more.

Bought a Merkur Long safety razor and a box of the Derby Razors (100 count) on Amazon. I hear Derby blades are good for starting out and were less than 10 bucks. But then read Runningmn9's latest reply and thinking :/....

Blades and Razor comes in a week. I am going to buy the shaving cream local (since I want to smell the scents).
Yeah, just have to experiment on blades. Like I mentioned above, I bought a variety pack of blades and none worked for me (even though most received superior ratings from other users).
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Anonymous Bosch

Binktopia wrote:I should have read this thread more.

Derby blades used to be very well thought of, and among the best deals for razor blades around. But something changed in their manufacturing process several years ago. You can tell the difference by the blade packaging. Originally, they came packaged with the logo horizontal, but then switched to a vertical design. At around the same time, their manufacturing quality also changed for the worse. After the change, I've seen numerous complaints about the significant decline in quality of Derby blades (miuch of it, I suspect, is because they were originally so highly regarded).

For example, here's a post from the Sharpologist blog that illustrates the decline in quality of Derby blades.

Personally, I've always found that Russian blades, such as Polsilver Super Iridium and Gillette Silver Blues, to be of vastly superior quality. The price on the Polsilver blades in particular also makes them extremely affordable. But YMMV, so it's definitely worth buying some sampler blade packs to discover what works best for you.
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

Oh god,

the sickness seems to have started. Or is it the enlightenment? I guess I wont know until I start shaving but...

I have spent the last three hours reading this thread, watching videos and going on amaze of places that sells soaps and brushes and....

I guess its either this or golf... :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As the philosopher Stanley Bert Eisen has told us, It ain't a crime to be good to yourself.

And yes, that's exactly what 1983 was like. Exactly.
Anonymous Bosch

Binktopia wrote:Oh god,

the sickness seems to have started. Or is it the enlightenment? I guess I wont know until I start shaving but...

I have spent the last three hours reading this thread, watching videos and going on amaze of places that sells soaps and brushes and....

I guess its either this or golf... :)
BTW Binktopia, if you're just starting out, I'd recommend reading the free "30 Days To A More Enjoyable Shave" eBook available from the Sharpologist site. It's a great way to get started, and makes for a solid reference guide to avoid getting overwhelmed.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The best blades I ever used were Israeli Personnas that I got off Amazon. I haven't been able to find similarly labeled Personnas and the ones I have found aren't as good.

As mentioned earlier, different blades work for different people. I need to try some of those Russian blades though. I've never tried any.