[Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Re: [Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Post by Xmann »

I bought some of the Proraso preshave and its fantastic!

Really made a difference in my shave last night.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:Ishmael took a solid year for you to relent. Shaving took almost a decade. I fear I won't be alive to see what the third strike is, but at least I'll die knowing you're a mother culture-hating fancy lad.
It will probably be low yield CD ladders. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Last week I bought an Omega badger brush (same one Smoove referenced), some fancy shaving cream and a bowl. I expected a difference, but the difference was significantly more than expected (although I did previously allow that the cream would make a difference).

No safety razor yet. Although I am eyeing up some Proraso pre-shave and some of that Lucky Tiger after shave.

I'm not going to lie, I felt like a fancy man while using that damn brush to whip up lather. :)
Make up bags of change
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

RunningMn9 wrote:Last week I bought an Omega badger brush (same one Smoove referenced), some fancy shaving cream and a bowl. I expected a difference, but the difference was significantly more than expected (although I did previously allow that the cream would make a difference).

No safety razor yet. Although I am eyeing up some Proraso pre-shave and some of that Lucky Tiger after shave.

I'm not going to lie, I felt like a fancy man while using that damn brush to whip up lather. :)
Never would have dreamed that shaving and the pre and post care could be so much fun!

My wife thinks I've finally falling off the deep end. She just doesn't get it.

For the shave last night, really thought the Proraso really made a difference in a reduction of razor burns and bumps.

I've been using the Burt's Bees after shave and I really like it. But I'm almost out. I might take a look at that Lucky Tiger.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:dance:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Hate.
Make up bags of change
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

If RM9 be for us, who can be against us? :wink:
I like the Proraso sandalwood soap lately. I don't often lather in the cup (a plastic baseball cap off an old build-a-bear; I recommend no breakable ceramics in the shower), but mostly on-face. I have pretty easy skin, and just scrape away until I'm smoove. The only wounds to speak of were a couple of bumping nicks to the nostril when swinging in quickly for the upper lip.
The whole affair doesn't add much to my normal routine, except for rinsing out the brush throroughly and changing blades more often (although they're easier to buy and keep).
I'm just a neck shaver lately.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Xmann wrote:I bought some of the Proraso preshave and its fantastic!

Really made a difference in my shave last night.
This stuff?

I got so hooked on using that back in the day, I probably have enough to last through several apocalypses (I loaded up back when Target stores used to carry Proraso products, and they had a big closeout sale on their Proraso stuff when it was discontinued).

I find it incredibly refreshing during the Summer months in CA.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The triple play of Proraso pre shave, soap and after shave is really nice on a hot day.

I'm on a bay rum kick and just tried Captain's Choice bay rum soap today. It has a light scent when shaving, but the scent really lasts after the shave, which is what I like. Not overpowering, but persistent.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

So you smell like rum all day? That seems like it could lead to problems in the professional world.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

One of us! One of us! One of us!

I highly recommend the Lucky Tiger tonic. Feels good, smells good...
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

RuperT wrote:If RM9 be for us, who can be against us? :wink:
Let's pump the breaks. :)

I decided that after years of mocking Smoove for being a fancy lad, I should at least make an effort to try it out so that I could provide more nuanced insults. We've talked in the past, and while I was well aware of the difference that proper shaving cream could make, I figured it was time to try the full process (with badger brush). And once comfortable with that process, to then compare the cartridge razor to a DE safety razor (after taking the time to get comfortable with that).

After an initial experimental shave, I realized something that made me hate Smoove_B. Yesterday while I work I noticed that I was expending thought cycles on contemplating enhancements to the next shave. That is unforgivable. And worse, this morning I experimented with a "full" shave (three pass - with, against, cross/cleanup). It took about 30 minutes with prep and cleanup. And the fact that it took 30 minutes didn't immediately fill me with unquenchable rage.

I think there is still too much water in the brush when I am lathering up the cream though, so I will have to figure that out. My basic process now is to fill the sink and bowl with scalding hot water before I hop in the shower. I drop the brush into the sink to let it soak/heat up while I shower. When I get out, I empty the bowl of water and take the brush out of the sink, I was shaking it out a time or two to ensure that it wasn't dripping any water, but I think I need to do more, as even after a couple of minutes of whipping in the bowl, the cream seems too watery. I assume that it's pilot error at the moment, or it could be the cream I guess. For no particular reason, I'm using this Men-U cream. I think that I was sold on the pump bottle that took portioning out of my hands. :)

The combo of the brush and that cream has worked pretty well for the actual shaving portion of things. The glide of the Fusion blade is significantly smoother than it was with the lesser shaving creams (I typically use either the Dr. Carver's Shaving Butter that you get from Dollar Shave Club, or a shaving gel from The Real Shaving Company). After the required number of passes, I complete the process with a splash of cold water and then apply a shaving balm (also from The Real Shaving Company).

Amazon sells the combo of the two products from The Real Shaving Company for $52, which is crazy to me. There is no chance that I spent more than $15 for them, combined. I knew nothing about them when I bought them other than "not shaving cream in an aerosol can".

I think that I am going to add a pre-shave treatment to the mix that I can apply and let it work while I make fancy lather. And then a better post-shave product. And again, this is why I hate Smoove_B. There are 10,000 options for both, and that does cause incalculable rage.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This thread is a gift - truly. I started re-reading it last night from page one and it delivers. :banana-dance:
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

RunningMn9 wrote:Anyway - the day that I intentionally seek pleasure or fulfillment in the act of removing facial hair is the day that pull out my own eyes, eat them, and let Smoove_B's dad skull F me to death.
I guess it's time to let Smoove_B's dad know that his services might be needed. ;)
Make up bags of change
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

RunningMn9 wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Anyway - the day that I intentionally seek pleasure or fulfillment in the act of removing facial hair is the day that pull out my own eyes, eat them, and let Smoove_B's dad skull F me to death.
I guess it's time to let Smoove_B's dad know that his services might be needed. ;)
Can we get this in PPV or something? Skype? Snapchat?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:That's definitely not true of the aforementioned Provence Sante Green Tea Shaving Soap.
I was worried you were overselling it -- you were not. Used it today and it's bananas with the lather. It really did feel like a foamy butter was on my face - easily the closest to shaving with a cream I've experienced with a soap. $9? Absolutely worth every penny. Seems like it might be a good winter soap as well, possibly fighting the bane that is winter skin.

Awesome recommendation. Thanks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Winter is for beards.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:That's definitely not true of the aforementioned Provence Sante Green Tea Shaving Soap.
I was worried you were overselling it -- you were not. Used it today and it's bananas with the lather. It really did feel like a foamy butter was on my face - easily the closest to shaving with a cream I've experienced with a soap. $9? Absolutely worth every penny. Seems like it might be a good winter soap as well, possibly fighting the bane that is winter skin.

Awesome recommendation. Thanks.
Great to hear you enjoyed it. It's definitely one of my absolute favourites. I also have a fondness for it because they originally sold their soap in a fairly distinctive redware terracotta dish that I always reuse, as depicted here:

You're quite right about it being an ideal soap for the winter. The karite butter used in French soaps like Provence Sante is akin to a built-in aftershave balm. It provides fantastic moisturization, and something of a protective barrier against the elements.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I should have guessed it was something I'd like - all of my favorite products are European. The company I purchased it from (Smallflower) was kind enough to include a rather robust catalog. Probably pretty wise on their part considering the upcoming holiday season and the never ending desire for more shaving paraphernalia. That terracotta dish also looks cool. Never saw terracotta used for shaving - just the usual ceramic stuff.

I feel like I could join a soap/cream of the month club and never grow tired of these things. Castle Forbes Lime Oil from Scotland? Piccadilly Sandalwood from England? I'm like a kid in a candy store.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

RunningMn9 wrote:My basic process now is to fill the sink and bowl with scalding hot water before I hop in the shower. I drop the brush into the sink to let it soak/heat up while I shower.

Eww, don't people spit in your bathroom sink...or wait...EVERYBODY! EVERYBODY, RM9 is now so into shaving the fancy-lad way he dedicated a sink in his house to it!

So proud of you... :wub:
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I tried the Provence Sante soap today. Performance was excellent and it's a great value. My only complaint is that the scent is very faint and disappears after the shave.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

"Nothing prepares a Lucky Tiger man for his next adventure quite like the special added touch provided by Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic."

How could I not want this stuff with a promo like that?

Ordered!!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Z-Corn wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Eww, don't people spit in your bathroom sink...or wait...EVERYBODY! EVERYBODY, RM9 is now so into shaving the fancy-lad way he dedicated a sink in his house to it!

So proud of you... :wub:
I actually do have a dedicated sink. :)

And thanks to Smoove, I now have shaving soap to experiment with. He gave it to me in a little bag like a drug deal.
Make up bags of change
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

What soap is it?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

McNutt wrote:What soap is it?
It's a Col. Conk's soap, lime scented I believe? I didn't bring it with me to work so I can't provide any more details than that. :)
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Just picked up some Proraso Pre-Shave Cream (with Green Tea and Oatmeal) and Smoove's recommended Lucky Tiger Disappearing Cream After Shave.

That should be enough fancy lad items for a while. And by "a while" I mean this week.
Make up bags of change
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The first soap I ever used was Col. Ichabod Conk's amber. Great scent. I still have a puck of it and keep it in regular rotation.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

I have never used a non-electric razor. Still with a 15-year-old Braun that's no longer so rechargeable. I think I've replaced the foil twice in that time... seven year blade lifespan is pretty good!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm not going beserk, but I did get a brush and Williams Mug Shaving Soap. I'm definitely happier than just doing soap in the shower.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

noxiousdog wrote:I'm not going beserk,
Yeah, that's how it starts. No one expects to go berserk. :wink:
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

noxiousdog wrote:I'm not going beserk, but I did get a brush and Williams Mug Shaving Soap. I'm definitely happier than just doing soap in the shower.
That's 90% of the way there. :)
Make up bags of change
Anonymous Bosch

noxiousdog wrote:I'm not going beserk, but I did get a brush and Williams Mug Shaving Soap. I'm definitely happier than just doing soap in the shower.
Oof.

There's very little to enjoy about Williams Mug Soap. Its one redeeming feature is that it likely has the widest retail availability of any traditional shaving soap on the market. But I've always found its performance to be extremely lacklustre at best, particularly given stearic acid and tallow are the top two listed ingredients of the soap. It's easily the poorest-performing tallowate soap I've ever used.

Van der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap is a vastly superior choice for a wallet-friendly, widely-available shaving soap. It's also available from a decent variety of brick & mortar stores.

Bottom line: if you're happy with the blue pill, stick with Williams Mug Soap. But if you're ready for the red pill, try the aforementioned Van der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Oof.

There's very little to enjoy about Williams Mug Soap. Its one redeeming feature is that it likely has the widest retail availability of any traditional shaving soap on the market. But I've always found its performance to be extremely lacklustre at best, particularly given stearic acid and tallow are the top two listed ingredients of the soap. It's easily the poorest-performing tallowate soap I've ever used.

Van der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap is a vastly superior choice for a wallet-friendly, widely-available shaving soap. It's also available from a decent variety of brick & mortar stores.

Bottom line: if you're happy with the blue pill, stick with Williams Mug Soap. But if you're ready for the red pill, try the aforementioned Van der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap.
I actually bought some of the Va der Hagen at Wal Mart for travel purposes and used it a couple times.

Very good budget soap.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If it wasn't individually hand-crafted by some woman in France, it's never touching my face again.
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote:If it wasn't individually hand-crafted by some woman in France, it's never touching my face again.
Be warned; should one swallow the red pill, this may not be atypical at all.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:If it wasn't individually hand-crafted by some woman in France, it's never touching my face again.
Three weeks ago that statement would have made me hate you. Now I wonder why I'm not using hand-crafted French soaps.
Make up bags of change
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Podcast "Art of Manliness" has a whole episode on Shaving Old School by the guy who started the trend on Youtube. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The more I use the Provence Sante soap the more I like it. Very clean smell and top-notch performance. Great price too.
Anonymous Bosch

McNutt wrote:The more I use the Provence Sante soap the more I like it. Very clean smell and top-notch performance. Great price too.
Good to hear you're also enjoying it. Your experience sounds much like my own, as the more I used it, the more I began to enjoy its clean and understated scent. I ended up buying the matching cologne (also fairly reasonably priced), which gives the scent a little more staying power.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Any suggestions for a good shaving cream on a budget? The soap puck that came with my shaving kit is almost gone, and I want to try a cream this time.