[Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

[Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Post by McNutt »

Anonymous Bosch convinced me to try old-school shaving. While I believe the Fusion can give a good shave in little time, I am not ready to embrace the blade+1 mentality pushed by Gillette and Schick.

I ordered the Merkur Futur DE razor, a bunch of shaving soaps, and a badger brush. Today my stepfather gave me two old Gillette razors that he claims to have picked up at auctions for $0.50.

(l-r Merkur Futur, Gillette Super Speed, Gillette Adjustable)

The Merkur is a new German razor that is extremely heavy. It has an adjustable head that varies the distance from the guide to the blade. The greater the distance the closer the shave. Of course the more space you have between the guide and the blade the greater the chance the you can cut yourself. The Gillette on the right is very similar. The Super Speed is a non-adjustable razor.

The Merkur's top comes off to accept the blade while the two Gillettes use the classic butterfly top. I prefer the butterfly top because the Futur makes me grab the top of the razor while the blade is still in it. I haven't cut my hand, but I just don't like that idea.

Instead of using shaving cream in a can I tried out some glycerine-based shaving soaps applied with a brush. To get a lather you wet the brush, swirl it on the soap, and rub it on your face. In a few seconds you'll have a nice lather that smells great. It's not a thick lather like you get in a can, but it's very slick and sticks to your face.

It doesn't look like it, but the soap is solid. I microwaved it for 25 seconds and it melted and formed with the wooden bowl. I don't like loose soap.

My first DE shave was not so good. I cut myself like I have never cut myself before. My neck looked bad and I have several nicks on my chin. However, I noticed that my face was much smoother than it has ever been after a cartridge shave. Of course it took me quite a bit longer to shave.

I asked some questions to the guys at Shave My Face and was told to slow down and not go for the greatest shave of my life at first. Get used to the razor and the great shaves will come. I've taken their advice and the shaves have come out much better. The nicks dropped to maybe one a shave, but I still attribute that to me being impatient. Patience, Grasshopper.

Tonight I broke out the black-handled Super Speed and found it gave a fantastic shave. It's very light and easier to use than the Merkur. Of course I got too excited and nicked my neck again, but to be fair I've done worse on my neck with a cartridge razor. Later this week I'll try the other Gillette. I know I'm going to like that one.

I wouldn't recommend the Merkur Futur. It's a solid razor, but it cost me $40 and has one serious flaw. The head on it is huge and it makes it almost impossible to cut the whiskers directly under my nose. The Gillette Super Speed is thinner and had no trouble fitting under my nose.

So now comes the big question. Do I recommend old-school shaving? It's not for everybody. If you value time over a quality shave then this is not for you. With a Mach 3 I can get a good shave in about five minutes. With a DE I need ten minutes, but it will be closer than the Mach 3 shave. If I spend fifteen minutes I can get a shave I would never have thought possible two weeks ago.

Let's talk about money. The new cartridges are expensive. Really expensive. I think I read that Fusion cartridges were around $3.50 each. A pack of ten DE blades will cost $3.99. $5.99 if you want to get the expensive ones. If you combine cheap blades with a $0.50 razor that's sixty years old you will come out way ahead. But I'm finding out that's not the reality of DE shaving. DE shaving creates a sickness. I'm like a woman now in that I'm scouring the internet looking at fancy shaving brushes, smelly creams and soaps, and old razors. I have enough soaps and blades to last me for years but I'll probably drop another $80 on a new brush next month. So while it's theoritically possible to shave for practically nothing with DE razors, it's not going to happen.

What I do recommend for every man though is to try a shave with a brush and good shaving soap or cream. Nice soaps start at around $5.00 for a bar that looks like it will last a year. Creams are more expensive and I don't have any experience with them yet. Using a brush and nice-smelling soap will knock the socks off of whatever canned aerosol cream you're currently using. This will add very little time to your shave, but it will give you a better shave with less irritation.

For me the biggest benefit is that I really enjoy shaving now. Before it was something I hated to do. I wanted to make it as quick as possible. Now I take my time and look forward to my next shave. Shaving has ceased being a chore. That rocks.
RunningMn9

Re: [Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Post by RunningMn9 »

McNutt wrote:What I do recommend for every man though is to try a shave with a brush and good shaving soap or cream.
What about for the man that finds all this shaving business a bit too narcissitic?

I thought perhaps I was misjudging the shaving geeks - but after a careful sampling of people that I know - you're all insane.

15 minutes?!?

;)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Ditto here. This is the way to go.

The upfront expense will definitely pay off in the long run, especially if you buy blades in bulk. I think the soaps/creams will also last longer than your standard 7oz shaving can. The razor will last a lifetime along with your grandkids'. The brush.....what... about 20-30 years?

McNutt, try a 40s Super Speed. They are heads and tails over the late model one you have. But it seems the consensus is that the Gillette Adjustable is the shizznit.

I also dislike my Merkur and I have the HD model. The craftmanship on mine sucks. It has a loosey goosey feel to it and the finish is rather rough. To a newbie, I would recommend picking up a Gillette Adjustable (from the 60s) off of Ebay. It is an amazing razor and you can find them for 10-15 bucks.

Edit: In the past week, I haven't found a more relaxing 15 minutes than the ones I spent shaving the old-school way.
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those razors are cool. My grandfather had one. He even used to old lather that you wet up and use the brush to lather it up and on your face. Thats old school back then.

My father-n-law also has/had the same razor. its sitting in the bathroom as i type this lonley. He passed away last month. I used to buy him the razors for it at wall mart. it always reminded me of my grandfather.

Hmm I may stick a new razor in it and give it a try sometime. I use the Quadra right now.

Man I wish id had the net when i started shaving. They handed me an electric razor and said you're a man now. Had to figure it all out on my own :(.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

I'm sorry, if you want to say it's old school you need to use one of these:

CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Sharp razor = good shave

No matter what, if your blade is not sharp you will not get a good shave.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

CeeKay, I shaved once with a straight razor and I have never been so scared in my life. I got one hell of a shave but my face looked like a volcanic eruption.

I like my Mach 3 Turbo. I use Mach 3 blades since the Turbo blades have too much slime on it and it (the slime) tends to last no more than 3 or 4 uses.

I like the old Gillette Sensor and Sensor XL. They are simple, have cheap blades and you get a pretty close shave for a 2 bladed razor.

Old school shavers to me are the Gillette Atra and the Trac II. :)
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

RunningMn9 wrote:What about for the man that finds all this shaving business a bit too narcissitic?
They should continue daydreaming about Jack Bauer.
RunningMn9 wrote:15 minutes?!?
Yeah, that's the biggest argument for the blade+1 system. Getting a decent shave is really quick with the new stuff, but it totally removes all pleasure from the daily shave. As I said, I now look forward to my shave, which I know you don't do. Lick that up! 8-)
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

I started shaving with the Merkur HD Classic DE Safety razor this weekend. I bought some of the upper-end shaving creams and a middle of the line brush.

I'm getting a good shave but I can still get a closer shave with a cartridge razor. I expect that to change in the future (if it doesn't then I will be disappointed). I have yet to knick myself so maybe that's a sign as to why McNutt is getting a closer shave. :) Once my comfort level increases then I will get more aggressive.

To date, I've invested about $180 is this new "cheaper" method of shaving (and a third of that was one a middle of the line shaving brush). Sure, you can buy cheaper stuff but I'm worth it. Like McNutt said, the blades might be cheaper but you'll find yourself purchasing different creams and aftershaves to improve the end product. In the long run I will probably save money, but it will take several years to recoup my expenditures.

I do really enjoy taking the time to work up a nice lather and going through the process of shaving. I'm not just saying that because I invested $180. I've already gotten a few dividends already in the way of positive comments from the wife. I plan on continuing to wetshave and expect it to only get better. Anyone interested should visit the site McNutt mentions above. It's a great resource.

About the negative comments regarding the Merkur HD Classic razor -- I don't know if you got a bad razor, GreggyD, but I don't have an issue with my razor. I'm going to take a closer look at it once I get home to see if I can see any major defects in the finish. My reaction was only positive when I saw it, but maybe I missed something. If after about a month I still can't get a really close shave then I will probably try another razor that's adjustable.

Rock.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Bathroom medicine cabinets in older homes have a slot in the back wall. It's to dispose of your used (single) razor blades. They just fall down into the wall. How cool is that?

Me? I've had a beard since I was 15. I just do a quick touch-up shave twice a week to keep my neck clean. I use a Trac 2 or something and I still have the cartridges I bought many years ago.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This thread is inspiring. While you'll never get as fast a shave as you will with the latest razor+1, you won't have the same experience that you're now getting. And you will get better. Remember the first time you shaved with a razor? How slow that was? Just think of this as starting all over again. You'll get faster. Not 45 seconds fast, but not quite the time sink some would have you believe.

All that I would add is that you try different soaps and lotions to find the best match. I was just given a small tube of shaving cream, which foams up a bit and creates more of a lathery feel than the soaps I've used.

I also received a pre-shave oil, which seems to help the process quite a bit.

I never thougth to check e-bay for old skool safety razors. That's a good idea. I *think* my parents still have my grandfather's old DE razor, I should probably ask them.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've thought about the pre-shave oil but am a little concerned that it might react negatively with my brush. Does it wash off the brush easily?

This week I'm going to order some creams from Prorasso, Musgo, and Tabac.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

McNutt wrote:I've thought about the pre-shave oil but am a little concerned that it might react negatively with my brush. Does it wash off the brush easily?
You use such a tiny amount, I don't know how it could. I'm talking about a drop the size of a pea, rubbed between my palms and then over my face and neck.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Thanks, Smoove. I'll probably add that to my order. Do you have a brand you recommend?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

McNutt wrote:Thanks, Smoove. I'll probably add that to my order. Do you have a brand you recommend?
I was gifted a small pump container from "The Art of Shaving", sandalwood scented. It's the first time I've ever used a pre-shave product, so that's my only experience. I would definately recommend getting a small one to try it first on the off chance you don't like it.

I don't even know if you're supposed to use it every shave; might only be a few times a week. Prior to this, my pre-shave routine was just a shower. :)
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

McNutt, The Art of Shaving is sending me a shitload of free samples. I'm sure Smoove's oil will be in there. You may want to hit them up. I'm really looking forward to trying samples from Trumpers, but those will probably take a couple of weeks to get here.
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Too late. I just ordered creames from Proraso, Musgo, and Tabac. I read great things about using Nivea cream as a preshave treatment, so I'll probably pick that up at the drug store today. Can you believe all the money I'm saving? :wink:
jblank

Post by jblank »

You people are friggin' nuts. :P

Just buy a Fusion or a Mach 3, get in the shower, lather up, and go. Why the need to spend all this money and go through all this rigamarole on something as trivial as shaving?

Ya'll are cracking me up.
jblank

Post by jblank »

McNutt wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:What about for the man that finds all this shaving business a bit too narcissitic?
They should continue daydreaming about Jack Bauer.
RunningMn9 wrote:15 minutes?!?
Yeah, that's the biggest argument for the blade+1 system. Getting a decent shave is really quick with the new stuff, but it totally removes all pleasure from the daily shave. As I said, I now look forward to my shave, which I know you don't do. Lick that up! 8-)
There is no pleasure in shaving. Its simply mens curse, like womens curse is ragging.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

McNutt wrote:Getting a decent shave is really quick with the new stuff, but it totally removes all pleasure from the daily shave.
I'm a firm believer in the fact that of all things to derive pleasure from - shaving should be at the bottom. I wouldn't go out of my way to make in not a pleasure. But going out of my way to derive pleasure from it? Can't get my mind around that.

Glad you are enjoying it though. I will live vicariously through you.
Make up bags of change
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

RunningMn9 wrote:
McNutt wrote:Getting a decent shave is really quick with the new stuff, but it totally removes all pleasure from the daily shave.
I'm a firm believer in the fact that of all things to derive pleasure from - shaving should be at the bottom. I wouldn't go out of my way to make in not a pleasure. But going out of my way to derive pleasure from it? Can't get my mind around that.

Glad you are enjoying it though. I will live vicariously through you.
It becomes more of a hobby and the search for perfection. The satisfaction comes from a job well done.

Something else to ponder is that the amount of sex I've had has increased by 10.4% since switching (and yes, it was with someone else). Therefore, I theorize that women dig it.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smutly wrote:It becomes more of a hobby and the search for perfection. The satisfaction comes from a job well done.

Something else to ponder is that the amount of sex I've had has increased by 10.4% since switching (and yes, it was with someone else). Therefore, I theorize that women dig it.
Again - there are lots of things that I can do to satisfy the "job well done"/"quest for perfection" need that don't include pampering my facial hair folicles for 15 minutes a day like Jean Claude van Damme.

With respect to women: You have to get through any number of barriers to get to the promised land long before they will notice whether or not your facial hairs are 1 micron long after a shave or 2 microns long after a shave.

My guess is that you're either in or out, long before that moment.

Of course, the way some people describe their previous shaving experiences, it sounds like they were using a cheese grater to get the job done. My guess is that learning how to shave would have done the trick (you have to learn how to shave with a cartridge razor too - despite what you hear from the shaving geeks).

Anyway - the day that I intentionally seek pleasure or fulfillment in the act of removing facial hair is the day that pull out my own eyes, eat them, and let Smoove_B's dad skull F me to death.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smutly wrote:Therefore, I theorize that women dig it.
Women absolutely dig a smooth face. Plus, as a married man (or woman), when you take the time to care about your appearance it helps to keep the magic alive.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Isn't there a whole group of fetishists who get turned on by watching people shave? You guys could make back some of your money back by setting up webcams for your morning rituals... unless y'all are that group of fetishists.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:This thread is inspiring. While you'll never get as fast a shave as you will with the latest razor+1, you won't have the same experience that you're now getting. And you will get better. Remember the first time you shaved with a razor? How slow that was? Just think of this as starting all over again. You'll get faster. Not 45 seconds fast, but not quite the time sink some would have you believe.
That's what you have to tell yourself and others when you spend $200 on shaving equipment. It's like going for your mortgage and saying: "Oh man, I totally thought I was going in with my eyes open and getting the best deal possible and boy did they ever bend me over" right when you walk out.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:Women absolutely dig a smooth face. Plus, as a married man (or woman), when you take the time to care about your appearance it helps to keep the magic alive.
But you can have a smooth face and care about your appearance without all of these shenanigans. And how much can you really claim to care about your appearance when your efforts are localized to only 30% of your face. If the rest of you (collective you) is still a frightening mess, I don't think that getting that extra picometer of hair off your face is going to be the difference between a relationship kept alive, and divorce.

If you like shaving this way, fantastic. But you're starting to sound like one of those chiropractor loons that allege that restructuring my phalanges will cure the common cold.
Make up bags of change
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Women absolutely dig a smooth face. Plus, as a married man (or woman), when you take the time to care about your appearance it helps to keep the magic alive.
But you can have a smooth face and care about your appearance without all of these shenanigans. And how much can you really claim to care about your appearance when your efforts are localized to only 30% of your face. If the rest of you (collective you) is still a frightening mess, I don't think that getting that extra picometer of hair off your face is going to be the difference between a relationship kept alive, and divorce.

If you like shaving this way, fantastic. But you're starting to sound like one of those chiropractor loons that allege that restructuring my phalanges will cure the common cold.
You can have a smooth face with or without the "shenanigans" but those "shenanigans" are exactly what makes my wife take notice. She likes that I'm taking more time to shave. It's more manly to her that I use an old style shaving aparatus. She's a woman and she thinks like a woman. You, sir, are not a woman.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote:
Smutly wrote:Therefore, I theorize that women dig it.
Women absolutely dig a smooth face. Plus, as a married man (or woman), when you take the time to care about your appearance it helps to keep the magic alive.
SOME women do. The Bride bristles at my rare mentions of losing the beard.

I read once that men's faces age better because the daily massage and defoliation of shaving helps maintain skin tone. Or something like that. I can understand how guys would take pleasure in the act. I might even enjoy it if I could just shave whenever the mood strikes me. It's that all-or-nothing aspect that I don't like. I'll take nothing, please.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

jblank wrote: There is no pleasure in shaving. Its simply mens curse, like womens curse is ragging.
There is for me now. Join us, jblank. Come to the smooth side.
RunningMn9 wrote: I'm a firm believer in the fact that of all things to derive pleasure from - shaving should be at the bottom. I wouldn't go out of my way to make in not a pleasure. But going out of my way to derive pleasure from it? Can't get my mind around that.
Why would making something as dull as shaving enjoyable be a bad thing? If there are other things in my life that can be so transformed I most certainly want to know. Accepting that a thing must be bothersome is not my goal in life.
RunningMn9 wrote: Again - there are lots of things that I can do to satisfy the "job well done"/"quest for perfection" need that don't include pampering my facial hair folicles for 15 minutes a day like Jean Claude van Damme.
I only said 15 minutes to get the closest shave of your life. To transform my dull shave into a very pleasant and equally close shave takes 10 minutes, which is only 5 minutes longer than the dull method. Is 5 minutes the threshold to narcism?

If I were the only one here praising old-school shaving I might consider that I'm off my rocker, but as far as I can tell everyone here that's tried it has been converted. Smutly's even getting laid more. Now that's a testimonial!
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

McNutt wrote:
jblank wrote: There is no pleasure in shaving. Its simply mens curse, like womens curse is ragging.
There is for me now. Join us, jblank. Come to the smooth side.
RunningMn9 wrote: I'm a firm believer in the fact that of all things to derive pleasure from - shaving should be at the bottom. I wouldn't go out of my way to make in not a pleasure. But going out of my way to derive pleasure from it? Can't get my mind around that.
Why would making something as dull as shaving enjoyable be a bad thing? If there are other things in my life that can be so transformed I most certainly want to know. Accepting that a thing must be bothersome is not my goal in life.
RunningMn9 wrote: Again - there are lots of things that I can do to satisfy the "job well done"/"quest for perfection" need that don't include pampering my facial hair folicles for 15 minutes a day like Jean Claude van Damme.
I only said 15 minutes to get the closest shave of your life. To transform my dull shave into a very pleasant and equally close shave takes 10 minutes, which is only 5 minutes longer than the dull method. Is 5 minutes the threshold to narcism?

If I were the only one here praising old-school shaving I might consider that I'm off my rocker, but as far as I can tell everyone here that's tried it has been converted. Smutly's even getting laid more. Now that's a testimonial!
Sex sells!
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

So you guys would rather, say, have sex with a woman who spends a lot of time waxing as opposed to one who merely shaves regularly?

Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:So you guys would rather, say, have sex with a woman who spends a lot of time waxing as opposed to one who merely shaves regularly?
We're not talking about my male standards. We're talking about women's standards.

I'm saying that the women I've spoken to find old style shaving to be more attractive for various reasons. In other words, THEY'D rather have sex with me because of it.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm going to appreciate every bit of pampering a woman does to her hotbox.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

McNutt wrote:I'm going to appreciate every bit of pampering a woman does to her hotbox.
8-)
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Why would making something as dull as shaving enjoyable be a bad thing?
Shaving isn't dull or exciting for me. It's shaving.

Accepting that a thing must be bothersome is not my goal in life.
Shaving isn't bothersome to me. It's shaving.

Apparently.

If I were the only one here praising old-school shaving I might consider that I'm off my rocker, but as far as I can tell everyone here that's tried it has been converted.
Well, you can certainly take solace in the fact that you aren't alone in your narcissism. And I would suggest that it takes a certain kind of fancy man to even care enough about shaving (it's SHAVING for crying out loud), that you'd have a pretty high incidence of conversion.
Make up bags of change
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've used an electric razor ever since i was forced to start shaving... never used a blade - been too scared of them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote: Well, you can certainly take solace in the fact that you aren't alone in your narcissism. And I would suggest that it takes a certain kind of fancy man to even care enough about shaving (it's SHAVING for crying out loud), that you'd have a pretty high incidence of conversion.
And yet....you've already admitted that changing to a non-foaming gel improved your shaving experience. We're only a few steps ahead of you.

Join us.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Smutly wrote:I'm saying that the women I've spoken to find old style shaving to be more attractive for various reasons. In other words, THEY'D rather have sex with me because of it.
If it helps you feel better about it then das coo'...

But if you think it's anywhere above #745 on the "reasons why your woman wants to sleep with you"... you're delusional.

It's not like women are going to go: "Well, I wasn't going to have sex with him... he seemed like sort of a geek... but then I found out he spends 45 minutes shaving every morning, and I instantly knew that such an OCD narcissist should be the father of my children!"

Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Women most definitely are attracted to men who take the time to take care of their appearance. Anyone who disagrees is either not getting any, or has been married for far too long to remember what women like :P

Where's The Matrix when you need him?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:And yet....you've already admitted that changing to a non-foaming gel improved your shaving experience. We're only a few steps ahead of you.

Join us.
I have no problem at all in making adjustments to my current "procedure", as long as those adjustments do not increase the time I have to waste on shaving.

Blade+1? If it's more comfortable, and takes no additional time, I'm there. Gel vs. Can of Gel? If it's more comfortable, and takes no additional time, I'm there.

Safety razors, delicate soaps, scented towels, lotions, brushed, oils? It's more dangerous, better results, but takes 1,333.33% more time? Not happening under any circumstances.

Women most definitely are attracted to men who take the time to take care of their appearance.
I didn't dispute THAT. I disputed the notion that all other things being equal, that your SHAVING habits are what is going to put you over the top. Especially if the rest of you is still a frightening mess and/or a slob.

"I know he's a puffy, gelatinous mess - but that SHAVE!!". Please.

I can understand if you are going from Grizzly Adams beard to Jean Claude Van Damme baby's-bare-ass-smooth face, you are going to open the doors to some new chicks (and close the doors to some others). But going from a Mach 3 to a DE safety razer to spend 10 minutes working off that extra picometer of growth? Stop it.

You can take care of yourself and pay attention to detail and get the same results without scented towels and fruity soaps and creams.
Make up bags of change