The Future of Shaving pt. 2. Equipment advice only pls.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

scubabbl

The Future of Shaving pt. 2. Equipment advice only pls.

Post by scubabbl »

Okay, so I didn't really feel like reading through 9 pages of babbling to get some decent advice. I did read enough however to think I may want to try out this new fangled old school shaving method (double edged saftey, not straight razor).

So, I'm looking for product advice on getting a setup so I can give this method a try. I'm tired of disposable. They give me mad rash or ingrown hairs because no matter how hard I press on a pass, it takes 3 or 4 passes, one in each direction to get rid of the stubble.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just purchased the Mekur Futura DE razor and a badger brush. I should be receiving these next week and will give you guys a full review. You might want to hold off until you read it as my initial investment was a little over $80. I'm interested to see how well it handles my neck which always breaks out in red bumps when I shave with both disposable razors (Mach 3, Quattro, etc.) and an electric razor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I have to make 3 or 4 passes as well. I got sick of it. Electric wasn't much better. I use a pair of Oster hair clippers (no guard) and just live with stubble. Does the job, dry, in about 2 minutes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

IMHO, the best DE safety razor to start out with is the Merkur Hefty Classic. At around $30, it won't break the bank and it has a very natural and comfortable feel in your hand. The "heft" will also help you to unlearn the primary bad habit you tend to develop if you're used to shaving with a cartridge razor (i.e. let the razor do the work and do NOT apply pressure).

As far as brushes go, it may be tempting to get a cheaper brush with boar bristles but it's well worth paying extra for a genuine badger hair brush. You'll find that badger hair feels a lot more comfortable on your face and also tends to do a better job of holding water.

This article has some excellent advice on getting started and should tell you everything you need to know.

Most importantly, don't worry -- it's nowhere near as big an ordeal as some would have you believe.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Definately get a reasonably priced Badger brush. I've used the synthetics and they're crap.

Expect a learning curve, as you're going to need to unlearn how you shave now. Basically, much smaller strokes and the use of your wrist instead of a floating head.

You don't need to go crazy with the razor either - like AB said, a simple $30 will get you in the game.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and see that you're used to pushing down HELLAHARD with the disposables. That is definately something you need to unlearn with the quickness using a safety razor. It should be floating or gliding across your skin. If you apply your usual levels of pressure...you're going to cut your face up.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JoeMoustache

Never the bride

Post by JoeMoustache »

Always late to the party- what they said.

Some people pick up razors on Ebay. Quite a flourishing little business there.

More links:

Knox Cigar

Best Grooming Tools

Em's Place

I always order from Classic Shaving

Good luck.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I also shave my head. Any advice on equipment for that? (I only shave the sides, I have a mohawk)
Anonymous Bosch

Harkonis wrote:I also shave my head. Any advice on equipment for that? (I only shave the sides, I have a mohawk)
Look no further than the HeadBlade.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My one-day experience with the Gillette Fusion was orgasmic. Nothing I've used in the last 30 years have come close to matching this device. No rash, and it isn't a disposable.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jeff V wrote:My one-day experience with the Gillette Fusion was orgasmic. Nothing I've used in the last 30 years have come close to matching this device. No rash, and it isn't a disposable.
'

With respect, this thread wasn't about cartridge razors. We have another thread for that. Let these people help this poor man.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Do you guys recommend the shaving creams over the soaps?
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
JoeMoustache

The alkali salt of a fatty acid

Post by JoeMoustache »

I was originally a soap guy myself, but I gave shaving cream a whirl on a recommendation. My current preference.

I would say you give them a go.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Well crap.....I ordered 4 cakes of soap and will need to trod through those first. Then I'll give Taylor's a whirl. I'm really looking forward to my HD showing up.

Any favorite flavors of Taylor's? How long do the soaps and creams last?

Edit: Plus now I have to get my ass out of bed 15 minutes earlier. :wink:
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
JoeMoustache

Tense Tensor

Post by JoeMoustache »

As far as Taylor's go, I am partial to Mr. Taylor, Shaving shop, and Sandalwood. But I warn you, pun and all, it's a slippery slope. Pretty soon you'll have jars of the stuff cluttering up bathroom counters, cupboards, and drawers. Especially since you'll find ones you like better than the others. No matter how much I try I can't like my tub of Taylor's Almond. Maraschino cherries are fine and all but I don't want them on my face.

It takes me about six months to go through one pot. Much like you I order 3-4 at a time, so I usually have several open and I switch back and forth between them as the mood strikes me. Soaps last me about as long, but as I don't switch them like the shave cream, they appear to go faster.

Time to shave for me is a total of 15 minutes. It can go quicker or slower depending on the conspiring fates.

JoeMoustache

P.S. After reading His Excellency by Joseph J. Ellis I want to order some Number Six from Casswell-Massey.
Anonymous Bosch

Greggy_D wrote:Do you guys recommend the shaving creams over the soaps?
I think it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Personally, I use both. I'm quite fond of Eucalyptus Proraso for the awesome cooling sensation it delivers after you rinse off, but the girlyfriend definitely prefers the scents of the pricier English soaps.

My personal favourites: Truefitt & Hill is my favourite soap, followed by Trumper's Violet. As far as creams go, Castle Forbes Lime would have to be my favourite, followed by T&H's "Trafalgar" with an honourable mention to Proraso.

EDIT: Joe's absolutely right about the slippery slope, especially if you have a significant other. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Darkie

Post by Darkie »

I think there's enough advice that I can risk derailing the thread slightly...

Why use razors as opposed to electric ones? Am I just lazy? Is there some tangible benefit to using an actual razor?
Jeff

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

"I don't accept the currently fashionable assertion that any view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and opposite view. My view is that the moon is made of rock. If someone says to me, 'Well, you haven't been there, have you? You haven't seen it for yourself, so my view that it is made of Norwegian beaver cheese is equally valid' - then I can't even be bothered to argue. There is such a thing as the burden of proof..." - Douglas Adams
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:Expect a learning curve, as you're going to need to unlearn how you shave now. Basically, much smaller strokes and the use of your wrist instead of a floating head.
:
EDIT: I just re-read your post and see that you're used to pushing down HELLAHARD with the disposables. That is definately something you need to unlearn with the quickness using a safety razor. It should be floating or gliding across your skin. If you apply your usual levels of pressure...you're going to cut your face up.
I emailed my question to Smoove, but it seems appropriate here too. The way you are describing how you shave(d) with disposables/cartridges makes my asshole hurt. Pushing down HELLAHARD? Are you insane?

I'm starting to wonder what made you shaving geeks think you knew how to shave with a cartridge/disposable. The bad habits you are describing are things you shouldn't be doing with a cartridge either. Holy mackarel. Applying lots of pressure? No wonder you guys hated cartridges.

I apply enough pressure to keep the head on my skin, and not a milli-Newton more. Damn. Pushing down? How could you expect to NOT get nicked/the bumps/razor burn if you're doing that?
Make up bags of change
JoeMoustache

Graph-ite

Post by JoeMoustache »

Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

At what GIR rating on the y-axis does death occur?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

So as not to resurrect the other thread:

After much thought, debate, and reading on www.shavemyface.com forums I purchased the following:

Merkur "Heavy Duty" Classic DE razor
Rooney, Small, Genuine Badger Silvertip (Style 3) Shaving Brush
Proroso Eucalyptus Shaving Cream
Trumper's Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Taylor's Lavendar Shaving Cream

When I posted about the future of shaving, I really was just throwing a stupid title up there to match what I felt was a positive experience with the Fusion. Having read the many resources out there and knowing that I want the best shave possible there was no way that I couldn't try these products.

I'll let you guys know how it goes after I get the hang of it.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Cool. Please do post your impressions when you're ready.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

First experience with a DE

My Merkur Futura arrived today. I dug out the old shaving brush and mug that I had gotten with a set (Old Spice) many years ago. I have ordered the following items separately:

Vulfix #376 Shaving Brush
Taylor of OBS Luxury Shaving Cream (2 bowls with different scents)
Shaving Brush Stand

However, since I didn't have the other stuff in yet, I decided to give it a go with my old brush and some Barbasol Gel that I had gotten on sale.

First, I put the blade into the Futura. I guess I was thinking that the Futura was a butterfly type of DE, but I quickly discovered that it is not. You have to pop the top off the razor to install the blade. I very carefully set the blade into the razor and then pressed the top back into place.

Since the Futura is an adjustable razor, my next step was to determine what setting to use. Adjustment dial goes from 1-6, so I figured a 3 would be about right.

I took a hot shower, making sure to let a lot of water hit my face. I wet my hair, and then applied conditioner to my face (which someone here recommended). I did the normal business with soap and a washrag, and then shampooed my hair. I let the conditioner stay on my face until I washed the shamoo out of my hair. I then got of the shower and towelled off.

Now, I was ready for the business at hand. I had heated some water in advance and let the razor and the brush soak in the mug while I showered. I sprayed some of the gel into my palm and then used the brush to work up a good lather, which I then applied to my face.

Being keenly aware of how easy it would be to cut myself, it was with a bit of trepidation that I brought the razor up to my face to take the first stroke. I started carefully shaving, making sure to go with the grain (something that I never used to do--I have always been almost exclusively an across the grain shaver). I found myself having to pay a lot of attention to the angle of the blade to my skin, as well as the amount of pressure that I was using.

After the initial pass of the razor with the grain, I started back over going against the grain. I wasn't really happly initially with the closeness of the shave. I opened the adjustment on the razor up to #4, and went back over some areas that still had some stubble. That made all of the difference in the world, and the rest of the shave well very well after that--except for the fact that I was very apprehensive about shaving around my adam's apple. In fact, I chickened out and left a little stubble around there (not much, but a little). After finishing, I cleaned up and put on a little Nivea After Shave Balm.

Conclusion
For a first shave, it went very well. I got one of the best shaves that I have had in a very long time. I was very pleased (and encouraged) that I managed not to cut myself in this process. I also escaped without any irritated skin. I am very confident that with a little experience, I will become more confortable and worry less about nicks and cuts. I actually think that I will look forward to my morning shave now. I can't wait for my other supplies to come in.

Thanks to everyone who has been providing advice (particularly AB and JM).
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I won't have my Futura until Tuesday (I think). Let me know if you fine tune the blade settings any further. After talking to Smutly I'm a little concerned that I went cheap on the brush. I'm sure it will be fine and will definitely be better than my old shave. I'll be tickled pink if it gets rid of the irritation on my neck.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

This is what I ordered on Thursday. I'm waiting for it to show early next week:

Shave Soap with Lime Fragrance (2)
Shave Soap Bay Rum Fragrance (2)
Shaving Brush Standard Pure Badger
Merkur Heavy Duty Double Edge Safety Razor
Styptic Pencil 1-1/2" Tall
Merkur Double Edge Razor Blades 10 (3)

I still need to pick up the 3 brands of cream that Smutly mentioned.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

McNutt wrote:I won't have my Futura until Tuesday (I think). Let me know if you fine tune the blade settings any further. After talking to Smutly I'm a little concerned that I went cheap on the brush. I'm sure it will be fine and will definitely be better than my old shave. I'll be tickled pink if it gets rid of the irritation on my neck.
I am NOT an expert, but like someone said it's hard to ignore the comments of people who have made over a 1000 posts on a forum called Shave My Face. Most of what I read led me to believe that I didn't want a brush that acted like a mop. I wanted one that was stiff yet soft on the tips. Part of the job of the brush is to also exfoliate the skin as well as build a terrific lather. I've used exfoliation products prior to shaving before and I can attest to how they improve a shave. If the brush can do this on a regular basis without irritating my face then it will be well worth the $65.
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

McNutt wrote:I won't have my Futura until Tuesday (I think). Let me know if you fine tune the blade settings any further. After talking to Smutly I'm a little concerned that I went cheap on the brush. I'm sure it will be fine and will definitely be better than my old shave. I'll be tickled pink if it gets rid of the irritation on my neck.
Here is something from an article I read about picking a brush:
Starting at the bottom and working up: You will see a noticeable difference in comfort and performance between the synthetics and the synthetic/natural blends; You will see a greater difference between the blends and a 100% boar bristle brush; You will notice a huge difference between the boar bristle and the pure Badger bristle brush; The difference between the pure badger and best badger is slight; the difference between the best badger and the silvertip is remarkable.
It may turn out that you didn't spend too little on your brush, but that Smutly and I spent too much. I'll be interested in comparing notes once our brushes come in.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

For the poor bastards mired in The System(tm) under Gillette's boot heel...after 11 pages of shaving shenanigans, I was motivated to entertain some modifications to my 45-second shaving ritual.

Namely - throwing out my normal foaming gel that comes compressed in a can (the shaving geeks found a way to make that sound so dirty), and switched over to a non-foaming shaving gel that comes in a tube (provided by Gillette, of course).

Holy Kamoley. Fusion + non-foaming gel = fantastic. The glide is an order of magnitude more smooth (assuming you aren't one of these guys trying to push the blade through your cheek), and much more comfortable. No more foaming gel for me.

Now I too can speak with disdain about the poor saps that need compressed air to deliver an inferior product quicker. :)
Make up bags of change
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Those dumbasses.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Damn, I didn't know I was going to get this hooked.

Check out my first shave review:
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5400

I love the extreme closeness of a DE (and it sounds like McNutt does too). But I HATE the craftmanship on this Merkur HD. The Gillette 1962 Adjustable I just received from Ebay is heads and tails over this modern day Merkur. I have a feeling my Merkur is gonna be on Ebay in a week.

Here's how bad I got it:
I have TEN more vintage Gillettes (different models from 40s to 60s) inbound, all from Ebay. I also have FREE shaving cream samples coming in from two different companies in England, both of which have existed before the beginning of time. That's right....FREE. No product cost and no shipping cost for the samples. And did I tell you I can get blades in the range of .05 to .10 cents a piece that last a week (7 shaves)?

Oh yeah, I got it f-ing bad.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Greggy_D,
I just reviewed DE shaving here. I too am disappointed with my Merkur, but for a different reason. I think the craftsmanship on mine is top notch. My Futur is solid and looks like a work of art. But the damn head is too big to fit under my nose. How did that get by product testing?
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Just got the Fusion. Used it this weekend. Very close, very satisfying. About 50% better than the Gilette power mach 3 macro whatever I was using.
Popehat, a blog.
JoeMoustache

Satisfaction

Post by JoeMoustache »

:D Fantastic! :D