The Future of Shaving

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smutly

The Future of Shaving

Post by Smutly »

As reported on this message board back in September, Gillette was developing a new 5 blade razor that is now available. I bought The Gillette Fusion this weekend. I'm reminded of The Onion's article on this topic entitled "Fuck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades." Well, it's now been done and I'm here to report my findings.

First, you should know that I've got super stubble -- stubble of steel, if you will. I've got a 5 o'clock shadow by about 11am in the morning and over a weekend I will have a good start on a beard by Monday morning. In two weeks my Quattro is begging for mercy. Anyway, that's what this razor is up against.

Here's a couple of pics of the razor:

It's difficult to describe how the razor feels moving across the skin. It feels somewhat abrasive (I felt like I needed to shave slower than normal), but it's still a smooth feeling. You can definitely tell that this razor is a different beast, but after a first pass I definitely had a closer shave than what the Quattro would have provided. After a good first pass I normally hit the sideburns using a 90 degree (from ear to mouth), then I shave against the grain under my neck, across my chin with the grain, and then finally across my mouth (from right to left if you must know). After this routine, I can tell you that the shave I had was terrific.

I've experimented with shaving creams and lotions and while my favorite remains Men Science's Advanced Shave Formula, I have been using Neutrogena's Shaving Lotion to save a few bucks.

One downside I did have is that because there are five blades tucked so closely together that it took a little more "spray down" with my shower head where I perform this task to clear the stubble from the razor. The shaving lotion I use doesn't help and I'm certain using a shaving cream would have quicker results.

Here's the kicker. The Gillette Fusion actually has 6 blades. The 6th one is on the back of the razor and is meant to be used for hard to reach places, sideburns, and other facial hair trimming. I haven't used this feature yet and admit that I wasn't immediately confident that I wouldn't cut myself using it. I'm sure my fears may be unfounded, but that was my intial impression.

So, for those of you who have a particularly difficult time getting a good shave, I recommend this new product. Feeling my face right now I can tell that my shave was indeed closer. How long the blades will last is another question to answer, but for right now I'm satisfied.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

That is crazy. 5 razor blades is crazy. I will take my Mach 3 Turbo.
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Interesting, I was at costco to pickup some clothes and perhaps a new razor and picked up one of these.

I currently use a mach3 and it does very well for me. I was actually looking for an m3 pulser or whatever that vibrating razor is called.

And yep, I also through of that "Fuck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades." quote. ;)
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Has our embedded product endorsement mole just outed himself?
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Just sharing the love. Those with stubble like mine appreciate this information more than those with girly stubble. I think you've outed yourself. :P
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Smutly wrote:Just sharing the love. Those with stubble like mine appreciate this information more than those with girly stubble. I think you've outed yourself. :P
Well I was just talking about Richard Hatch earlier.

You've got to admit, though, that your timing is interesting:

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 63&start=0
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My dad just got one of those. He offered to give me all of his unused Mach 3 blades.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And that settles it.

5 bladed razors have displaced plug in air fresheners. They are now the subject of the closing paragraph of my manifesto.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ScubaV

Post by ScubaV »

Didn't somebody make a spoof about a 100-bladed razor? Anyway, I'd much rather shave once every 3-4 days (even though I grow out enough to have a goatee) with a 3 bladed razor than shave multiple times per day, manliness be damned.
You are a noob. I pwn noobs.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Smoove_B wrote:And that settles it.

5 bladed razors have displaced plug in air fresheners. They are now the subject of the closing paragraph of my manifesto.
I remember the first time I mentioned on GG how plug in air fresheners were my hill to die on and you chimed in with your support and made me feel less alone. You sir are a great American, I salute you. :D
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

I solved my "I can't get a close shave no matter what I do" problem long ago. I grew a beard :P

5 blades does seem a little over the top. I always did just fine with 2 or 3 blade disposables (when I was inclined to shave, that is. I think there's still a few lying around the house somewhere) but where a friend gets a weeks worth of daily use out of a disposable, I was getting 1 day. The blades would feel like sandpaper by the time my shave was finished. Unless the quality of the metal used in blades has improved significantly over the last few months, I can't see 5 blades lasting significantly longer than 2 or 3. My beard stays. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:And that settles it.

Not so! 5-bladed razors actually sound useful! There's no need whatsoever to throw them in the dumpster.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

As far as I'm concerned, the future of shaving would be something more akin to the Merkur "Vision" (pictured below) or even a decent straight razor. Hyper-marketed multibladed vibrating whojawotsits are for suckers.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Enough

Post by Enough »

For those who follow our shaving threads the presence of AB is comforting, this man knows shaving perfected on zen-like levels. Only one OO poster can best him in shaving knowledge, will he make an appearance...
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm not sure what a fifth blade accomplishes that the fourth blade didn't, but I will attest to Smutly's stubble. He doesn't have a normal beard. He had a normal beard when he was in middle school. Now it's advanced to the realm of science fiction. There is a big difference between what's best for me and what's best for him, but if he endorses the Fusion then I'm impressed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That 5 blade would seem to just magnafy the problem I already have with the 4 blade. I let my whiskers go for 2 days or so and when i shave it really clogs the space between the blades and stops shaving well. Rinsing does'nt help clear it so I end up using an old toothbrush on it..which distorts the blade shape and can cause painful shaving..or worse a nice cut. That 5 blades looks to have even less room between the blades.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
qp

Post by qp »

Why waste all that money, I just use a mirror and let my heatvision do the shaving!
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Roguetad

Post by Roguetad »

My razor goes to 11.

That Merkur Vision razor looks evil. Is that really a mouth that opens with razor blades inside!?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the future of shaving would be something more akin to the Merkur "Vision" (pictured below) or even a decent straight razor. Hyper-marketed multibladed vibrating whojawotsits are for suckers.
I've considered going old school as you've sworn on those for awhile, but I just have a hard time paying $100 for one of those.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

fuck 5 blades, I want a laser!
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

While shaving in the shower just now I realized just how much I'm paying for replacement cartridges and that $100 razor Anonymous Bosch linked no longer seems over-the-top. Does that thing take standard injector blades? How much does a box of those cost?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I used the Gilette Fusion twice (once on two weeks of growth, once with one day of growth). I immediately threw out my Mach3 and my Mach3 Power. They are crap compared to the fusion. I had no trouble discharging hair casualties from the blades during the shave - but was using the sink + shaving cream, and not shower + gel. Shaving on only a day of growth was like having my face caressed by heaven.

Shaved a lot closer and smoother than the Mach 3.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Interesting. I, too, have a tough beard. My Mach3 has been the best so far but is still suboptimal.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
IkeVandergraaf

Post by IkeVandergraaf »

Allow me to recommend Pacific Shaving Company's shaving oil: http://www.pacificshaving.com/

I also have a very thick beard. I use a Mach 3 Turbo. All gels, foams and creams have air bubbles in the lubricant. Shaving oil does not. It gets right up next to your face and gives an extraordinarily close shave, even after the weekend. You just have to remember to keep splashing water on your face as you shave. I use 7 drops per shave and a $6 bottle lasts for months.
Compliment of the season to you!
Ike Vandergraaf
See An Inconvenient Truth.
XBox 360 Gamer Tag = IkeV
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone notice the connector / pivot point on these multi blade razors? Its way at the bottom the shaving head. Why is'nt it in the middle so you can get some pressure on those blades? You're just pushing the pre blade moisturizing strip against your face.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Any word on the 6th blade for "tricky" spots? Color me intrigued.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Can you imagine being on in a meeting trying to come up with product ideas? It must be a little embarrassing at this point. It's all about marketing, and they do make a good job of making people believe that newest model is the best at shaving, but really? In my honest opinion, I can probably shave just as well with a 2 blade razor if my razor blades are new. I don't buy into this multiple blade crap. I use an Atra Plus, the one with a metal handle that has some weight to it. I like to feel a little weight as it gives me a better feeling for it instead of plastic.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

McNutt wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the future of shaving would be something more akin to the Merkur "Vision" (pictured below) or even a decent straight razor. Hyper-marketed multibladed vibrating whojawotsits are for suckers.
I've considered going old school as you've sworn on those for awhile, but I just have a hard time paying $100 for one of those.
That particular razor is definitely not intended for someone that's new to shaving with a DE safety razor -- since it's fully adjustable, a beginner could well end up doing more harm than good. The Merkur Hefty Classic is a far better -- and, at around $30, a far more economical -- choice for a noob. If that's still too pricey, you can find some great deals on original DE safety razors through eBay. Of course, with used razors, you have the added minor inconvenience of sterilization before they can be used.

As for blades, I use the Feather "High Stainless Platinum" blades from ClassicShaving.com. They're $5.99 for pack of 10 (and, since they're double edged, it's more like getting a pack of 20 Gillette cartridges). As a comparison, a pack of 12 Gillette Mach 3 cartridges costs $21.49 on Amazon. And it's a safe bet that the new "Fusion" cartridges will be even pricier still.

While the initial investment in a decent badger brush, quality soap that doesn't squirt out of a can, and a DE safety razor is obviously more expensive than the latest brand new Gillette Mach-Umpteen-SuperTurboFusionUltraMax, it's worth remembering that Gillette was the pioneer of the bait and hook business model. There's a reason why companies like Gillette and Schick keep adding more and more blades to their razors, and it has precious little to do with providing a better quality shave.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:crazy talk
Seriously dude, that sounds like a second job. No thanks.
Make up bags of change
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
McNutt wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:...it has precious little to do with providing a better quality shave.
I disagree. For my stubble, there was a huge difference between the Mach 3 and the Quattro. There's also a significant difference between the Quattro and the Fusion. I can understand how there would be no increase in performance for those who don't have stubble of steel. As someone who does, there is a huge difference.

If this thing turns out to give me a lot of ingrown hairs or the blades wear after a week then I'll downgrade its performance.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

I want nanobots that implant themselves under my skin at the base of each hair folicle, and in response to a specific encrypted radio signal, all cut off their respective hairs. This way, on any morning when I feel like "shaving", I can just go put my face over the sink and press a button and all the stubble will just fall out.

Is that so much to ask?
IkeVandergraaf

Post by IkeVandergraaf »

Or what about a laser that was tuned to the frequency of face hair. It would destroy the hair right down to the follicle, but leave the face unharmed. I guess it might tingle a little and produce an unpleasant smell. But it would give a really close shave and you wouldn't have to be near the sink.
Compliment of the season to you!
Ike Vandergraaf
See An Inconvenient Truth.
XBox 360 Gamer Tag = IkeV
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:crazy talk
Seriously dude, that sounds like a second job. No thanks.
I'm with the Bosch. Adding blades is bullshit. While adding them might increase your chances of a smooth shave, you can't beAt using quality products during the shaving process (brush, soap / lather, quality razor).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this time next year everyone will be singing the praises of the new 6 bladed razor with laser level for sideburn trim.

It's getting to be re-goddamn-diculous.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Guy, guys, guys.... There is a reason that I still keep a slide rule and an abacus around. Sometimes new technology is for shit and the old ways are best. I respect your position on this issue, but let's just agree to disagree.

:D
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's gimmick marketing. (The Turbo was gimmick marketing too, but its saving point was that the 3-blade design they used accidentally turned out to be really good.) It appeals to the man's love of having "more" of everything. We want the hemi engine, the supersized TV dinner, and the 5-bladed razor. We want a gas-powered weed eater that could take down a small pine tree, even if we're only trimming around the flower beds. I'm not falling for it.

Even though they look really cool and I almost bought one the other day.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm with the Bosch. Adding blades is bullshit. While adding them might increase your chances of a smooth shave, you can't beAt using quality products during the shaving process (brush, soap / lather, quality razor).
Well, you're wrong. Adding 2 more blades to the Mach 3 makes a noticeable difference in the smoothness and closeness of the shave provided by the best shaver of this type on Planet Earth.

You might get a better shave with soap, a brush, lather, a straight razor, warmed gel beads, and 16 hours of shaving effort. But the Gilette Fusion provides it's glorious shave in 30-45 seconds.

I don't care what kind of shave you achieve with your Lady Bic. I'm interested in smoothness and speed. The Fusion is unbeatable in that respect.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:I'm interested in smoothness and speed.
Ahhh...my sweet, tormented (Lu)Cipher. Where did I go wrong?
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Smoove B wrote:I'm with the Bosch. Adding blades is bullshit. While adding them might increase your chances of a smooth shave, you can't beAt using quality products during the shaving process (brush, soap / lather, quality razor).
I'm down with the quality products thing. However, if I shave with a straight razor the odds greatly favor my having killed myself within the third shave. I need something safer. I dig on using quality products outside of this (though I currently use a mach 3 and shaving gell).

My small measure of revenge against Gillette is how rarely I buy extra cartridges. I'm somewhat bearded, so I have less to shave (and trim with an electric; I actually need a new one). But I'll go for months on a single blade cartridge. And that's shaving regularly. Yes, it starts to hurt. Especially with my sensitive skin. I ignore the pain. I remove it from me, I make it not-me. It's a refreshing process (I'm also pretty sure I'm within 2 years of being able to punch through 1 foot concreit bricks).
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm wondering if the Fusion's heavenly shave has nothing to do with the five blades and all to do with the cartridge design. It appears to have an extra long skin stretching strip and the blades are really close together. Perhaps that same design, but with only two blades, would shave just as well. I just have to wonder what hair is actually being cut by the fifth blade and why was that hair missed by the first four.
Al

Props to SA's dev/null

Post by Al »