Miyazaki films all month on TCM

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Dodger Bullet

Miyazaki films all month on TCM

Post by Dodger Bullet »

Spirited Away on TCM now! G'dammit I missed the intro presentation!

New films every Thursday.

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/this ... cid=114160

Schedule on TCM:

Thursday, January 5
8:00pm: Spirited Away (2002 - English-language version)
10:15pm: Princess Mononoke (1997 - English-language version)
1:00am: Spirited Away (2002 - Japanese-language version)
3:15am: Princess Mononoke (1997 - Japanese-language version)

Thursday, January 12
8:00pm: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984 - English-language version)
10:00pm: Castle in the Sky (1986 - English-language version)
12:15am: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984 - Japanese-language
version)
2:15am: Castle in the Sky (1986 - Japanese-language version)

Thursday, January 19
8:00pm: My Neighbor Totoro (1988 - English-language version)
9:30pm: Porco Rosso (1992 - English-language version)
11:15pm: Whisper of the Heart (1995 - English-language version)
1:15am: My Neighbor Totoro (1988 - Japanese-language version)
2:45am: Porco Rosso (1992 - Japanese-language version)
4:30am: Whisper of the Heart (1995 - Japanese-language version)

Thursday, January 26
8:00pm: Only Yesterday (1991 - Japanese-language version only)
10:15pm: Pom Poko (1994 - English-language version)
12:30am: Only Yesterday (1991 - Japanese-language version)
2:45am: Pom Poko (1994 - Japanese-language version)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My Thursday night is already way packed...even my 2 tuner Tivo can't keep up. But there are a few of those that I haven't seen...might want to try and get a couple of them recorded.

(Hmm. No Kiki's Delivery Service? That's a favorite in my household...)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

I highly recommend Whisper of the Heart. It's really not well known to Western audiences, and though it takes a more realistic setting (modern Japan), it's still one of Miyazaki's best.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I'm with Chaoz - if you haven't seen "Whisper of the Heart", you should. It's quite good.
I'm not sure how much I liked "Only Yesterday" (I had to look it up - I knew it as "Omoide Poro Poro"). Parts of it were very good, but overall, I didn't like it as well as many other Miyazaki works. "Porco Rosso" is one of my favorites.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Good stuff coming. I had recently seen again Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke - with my little cousins as an excuse - over the holiday and wanted to see Whisper of the Heart again.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Dodger Bullet

Post by Dodger Bullet »

Indeed, WHISPER OF THE HEART. One of Ghibli's best. Too bad the guy who did it died. :cry: Seen that at least 6 times now... And too bad its sequel didn't deliver, CAT'S RETURN...

Only Yesterday, another Ghibli film, was too, donno, didn't really go anywhere for me.

But I agree, no KIKI on TCM?!

I'll take KIKI over MONONOKE all day.

Well at least they have my all time favorite CASTLE IN THE SKY. Such great vigor, adventuristic imaginative, narrative. Hope Miyazaki has it in him to do another CS and NAUSICAA.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Yep, Castle in the Sky is my favorite too.
Dodger Bullet

Post by Dodger Bullet »

You know... Miyazaki's son is making an EARTHSEA, Ghibli's next flick coming out this summer.

I guess I'll read Earthsea and see what the hubbub's about. I hope Miyazaki won't let his son mess up the film.
dfs

Post by dfs »

Hey thanks for posting this.I've not seen Whisperer or either of the two from Jan 26. Something to look forward to.

If you've not seen Porco Rosso, it's a very nice bit of work.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Argh. It sounded like such a nice idea, but apparently TCM Nordic have never even heard of Miyazaki since it produces no hits in their listings. Baka.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Nausicaa is fantastic... probably my favorite on there, although I haven't seen them all.
dfs

Post by dfs »

FWIW I was very dissapointed in Nausicaa, becaue I was SO blown away by the orignal graphic novels and my expectations were sky high. The movie only covers a small fraction of the novels and the ending of the movie struck me as unfortunate.

Porco on the other hand caught me off guard. I'm looking forward to seeing it again in order to compare it to Castle in the sky.
dfs

Post by dfs »

bump for any interested parities
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Thanks for reminding me. Going to have to hijack the kid's TiVo for Nausicaa tonight.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Miyazaki films all month on TCM

Post by Zaxxon »

Always love 15-year thread necros... My daughters and I have started our way through Ghibli films now that they're all on HBO Max. None of us had previously seen any of them.

So far we've caught Nausicaa and Totoro. I loved Nausicaa but the girls (9 and 6) were a little overwhelmed. Totoro was a hit with all of us.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:10 pm Always love 15-year thread necros... My daughters and I have started our way through Ghibli films now that they're all on HBO Max. None of us had previously seen any of them.

So far we've caught Nausicaa and Totoro. I loved Nausicaa but the girls (9 and 6) were a little overwhelmed. Totoro was a hit with all of us.
Kiki's Delivery Service should be next
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Watch Grave of the Fireflies. not the same director but it's a heartwarming tale. ;)

Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:38 pm Watch Grave of the Fireflies. not the same director but it's a heartwarming tale. ;)
Sounds like it...
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:24 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:10 pm Always love 15-year thread necros... My daughters and I have started our way through Ghibli films now that they're all on HBO Max. None of us had previously seen any of them.

Kiki's Delivery Service should be next
That's the only one from that period that I still have not seen. Gotta fix that.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Ponyo is very good and while it can be intense at times, not overly "scary", I would also highly recommend Spirited Away, another amazing film, again some intense scenes and weird creatures but I don't recalling it being too graphic. Princess Mononoke is another one of my favorites but you might want to pre-screen that one, some crazy demon killing stuff. Not Miyazaki but I recently watched Girls Last Tour which was exceptional and also Made in Abyss again really, really good. Both are episodic and the protagonists are young girls. Another really good one was Over the Garden Wall, an American offering, excellent story for young viewers (and older ones), great voice work and animation, but not sure if you can view it for free on any of the services the the others. Oh, and in case it wasn't apparent, Grave of the Firefly's is an incredibly powerful film but not one for kids IMHO, I've known adults that were left reeling emotionally after watching.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks, all.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya Grave of the Fireflies is amazing but absolutely soul crushing. So maybe skip that one. ;)

We have watched most of the movies and it's kind of hard to rank them, but our favs are

My Neighbor Totoro
Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service

I think those are the best 4 personally. My daughter is obsessed with Kiki's.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, they picked When Marnie Was There next. So we'll see how that goes...
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Some bragging... My daughter drew these for my niece. I can't draw a circle...

ImageImage

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Zaxxon wrote:Well, they picked When Marnie Was There next. So we'll see how that goes...
Actually haven't seen that one. Will have to check it out.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:33 pm
Zaxxon wrote:Well, they picked When Marnie Was There next. So we'll see how that goes...
Actually haven't seen that one. Will have to check it out.
hope your kids are fine with slow paced films. i liked it alright, but it's not their best... it didn't feel like it really came together in parts. but as i mentioned in the other thread, it was the final Ghibli film (at least, of the original incarnation) and they went all-out on background details - so much to look at in some of the scenes.

many of Ghibli's films are based on books from Japanese/UK/American children's authors...

https://www.tofugu.com/japan/studio-ghibli-books/
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Octavious, those are awesome.

Hba, yes, it's beautiful so far.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Tales from Earthsea is not really good tho. it was Goro Miyazaki's (son of Hayao) first film and ... it shows. Ursula K Le Guin wrote about the whole debacle: http://www.ursulakleguinarchive.com/Ged ... ponse.html in addition to the differences from the entire _theme_ of the book, it just felt incredibly sparse and rushed. i'm sure the budget wasn't very high either.

my copy of this film is a bootleg Taiwanese DVD i got in Vancouver BC for $6 before it was available in the US, and i have no plans to upgrade it to a Blu-Ray edition.... nor will i ever watch it again...
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Spirited Away is in my top 5 movies ever. Not “top 5 anime” or “top 5 animated”...top 5 movies, period. It’s one of the most wonderful, beautiful movies I’ve ever seen in my life. I could not possibly recommend it highly enough.

We watched it last Halloween with the Wonder Twins 7.8, and they both loved it. There’s a few intense scenes with a little blood and a little barf, but nothing too bad.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Can't wait to catch up on all these. They've been a major hole in my viewing ouvre and I'm ecstatic that HBO finally has them all in one place.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Grave of the Fireflies is an amazing work of art. That an animated film is easily one of the most heart-wrenching stories I've ever watched is not something I expected, but it's absolute compelling and deserves to be seen.

Just don't watch it with the girls until they're older. The subject matter is challenging, and way too depressing for a kid.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

disarm wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:23 pm Grave of the Fireflies is an amazing work of art. That an animated film is easily one of the most heart-wrenching stories I've ever watched is not something I expected, but it's absolute compelling and deserves to be seen.
Grave of the Fireflies is one of those films that everyone should watch once.

It's remarkable and beautiful, but it will utterly crush your soul. And definitely not for the kids.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:32 pm Some bragging... My daughter drew these for my niece. I can't draw a circle...

ImageImage
:shock:

Those are amazing. I honestly thought they were stills from the actual films.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grave of the Fireflies is NOT on HBO Max

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yep, found it on Hulu. Not sure why it's not in the main bundle on HBO.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:55 pm Yep, found it on Hulu. Not sure why it's not in the main bundle on HBO.
Probably because they don't want people to think it's an animated movie for children when sorted with his other titles on HBOMax. I agree with what everyone else has said - it's something to be seen, but it's intense.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBR
One of the main reasons the United States and Canada did not receive access to the Ghibli Library through Netflix is due to HBO Max, which previously purchased the streaming rights in the United States and Canada for the Ghibli library in its entirety.
The film is currently available on Hulu. Furthermore, Grave of the Fireflies, for the longest time, was the only film in the Ghibli library to be available for digital download.
Studio Ghibli, despite producing, writing and animating Grave of the Fireflies doesn't hold the distribution rights to Grave of the Fireflies. Those in fact belong to the company that released Nosaka's short story, Shinchosha.
GKids owns distribution rights to the film now and has released it as part of their Ghibli sets.
In many ways, it is comparable to another Hayao Miyazaki film that exists outside of Studio Ghibli: The Castle of Cagliostro. The film remains one of the most iconic Lupin III films ever and the first theatrical film animated by Miyazaki, yet it was produced before Studio Ghibli was founded and, unlike Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, another pre-Ghibli Miyazaki film, Miyazaki didn't own the rights to the film. Therefore, he didn't get a say when the digital streaming rights were sold to Netflix.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:32 pm Some bragging... My daughter drew these for my niece. I can't draw a circle...

ImageImage
Holy crap Octavious, those are amazing. Count me as also thinking they were professional stills for the movies. I can't get over how perfect the little girls are drawn, your daughter is incredibly talented.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:28 pm
disarm wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:23 pm Grave of the Fireflies is an amazing work of art. That an animated film is easily one of the most heart-wrenching stories I've ever watched is not something I expected, but it's absolute compelling and deserves to be seen.

It's remarkable and beautiful, but it will utterly crush your soul. And definitely not for the kids.
Concur. Yegads.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:46 am
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:28 pm

Concur. Yegads.
...Especially if you go back and watch the first 5 minutes again after finishing the film.