Miyazaki films all month on TCM

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: Miyazaki films all month on TCM

Post by hitbyambulance »

it's kind of a thing whenever Grave of the Fireflies is brought up, people have to relate how personally deestroooyyeddd they were after they watched it (e.g. see the IMDB reviews page)

(i've seen it four times - yes, it's that good - and i will say it becomes even more affecting each viewing, not less)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I was just now years old when I learned that Fireflies was released as a double feature with Totoro. Because, reasons?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm going to be the contrarian here and say that i think it really is a good children's film - a great one, even - because it respects the viewer and doesn't pander to or talk down to that audience. it relates its personal tragedies in the wake of greater atrocity without affectation or pretense - it comes naturally and in a straightforward manner - which i also think is why it works as well as it does. i personally think a lot of that will fly over the heads of children, and it's adults that grasp it's full implications. that being said, if your child possesss a greater than average sense of empathy or has been themselves a refugee from a real life warfare situation, i would exercise caution...
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Tao wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:27 am
Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:32 pm Some bragging... My daughter drew these for my niece. I can't draw a circle...

ImageImage
Holy crap Octavious, those are amazing. Count me as also thinking they were professional stills for the movies. I can't get over how perfect the little girls are drawn, your daughter is incredibly talented.
Ya thanks she's starting to get really good. :o We bought her a drawing tablet years ago and then an even better one this year. She has spent countless hours practicing.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Those drawings are amazing Octavious. You should be proud of her talent.

And I would say that the Ghibli film that gets the most views around here is Howl’s Moving Castle. My girls both absolutely love it. (They’re 25 and 21, BTW. )

They love Kiki and Totoro too, but they HATE that they were redubbed/edited from the original Fox tapes they grew up with. I even noticed the difference when we watched them recently.

Personally, I have a soft spot for Porco Rosso.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh I totally forgot about Howl that one we loved as well.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Ponyo loves HAM!

Grave of the Fireflies was my first owned DVD. I still have it. I won it in a contest from IGN, way back when it was new, and I was a monthly subscriber to the site. I had to purchase a dvd player after it arrived.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:33 pm
Zaxxon wrote:Well, they picked When Marnie Was There next. So we'll see how that goes...
Actually haven't seen that one. Will have to check it out.
Loved it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:01 am
Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:33 pm
Zaxxon wrote:Well, they picked When Marnie Was There next. So we'll see how that goes...
Actually haven't seen that one. Will have to check it out.
Loved it.
Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Arriety... They all rock. Still waiting to find a dud.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

there are a few ‘meh’ ones like Porco Rosso but the only one close to bad (that ive seen) is Tales of Earthsea. maybe Earwig will also rank low, dunno yet
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hitbyambulance wrote:there are a few ‘meh’ ones like Porco Rosso but the only one close to bad (that ive seen) is Tales of Earthsea. maybe Earwig will also rank low, dunno yet
I love Porco Rosso…
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is that a galactic month?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Still working through these. Earthsea was the only disappointment so far, but we expected that.

Ponyo is today's entry.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:59 pm Earthsea was the only disappointment so far, but we expected that.
https://dotandline.net/miyazaki-earthse ... 88faa9b9c/