What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by dbt1949 »

Imagine you had a entrance song that would play when you entered a building.
This is the one I'd choose.

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:54 pm Imagine you had a entrance song that would play when you entered a building.
This is the one I'd choose.

:coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you like Sam you might like this.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

It just so happens that Tequila Friday is going is this direction:

Another song that there is no physical way to play loud enough.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

KISS THE MOUTH OF THE SCORPION, BABY

Awesome. One of my favorites. Seen them live about half a dozen times and always an amazing show. Not the same since he got sober. I'm glad he did, but some of the magic was lost. You can also check out the guitarist's side project:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
mori

Post by mori »

I was lead down this path several years ago when someone posted videos of Band-Maid. I became a huge fan of them. Well that led me to explore more of this "cute" metal movement in Japan. It ends with Ironbunny. A guitar playing cyborg from the future forms an outstanding band with three Japanese teenage girls singing triple harmonies. Don't judge me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

mori wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:10 pm Don't judge me.
Judging you. :ninja:

This one felt particularly appropriate today.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
mori

Post by mori »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:43 am
mori wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:10 pm Don't judge me.
Judging you. :ninja:
Yea I deserve some. At least I did not post a BLACKPINK video. But that is Korean pop women and not Japanese "cute metal". Does not help my case.

But I like the weirdness of Japanese metal and it is not all based on an Asian fetish. An all female Steampunk band. We got that. Another that is somewhere between steampunk, hair band, and modern metal and I enjoy them. There are some awesome musicians out there. It reminds me of the music in the west before we got all pretentious. Probably helps I understand hardly a word.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fwiw, I was just giving you shit. I’ve become less of a metal snob as I age, with a few exceptions. And I’m with you in enjoying Japanese metal...it can be gloriously insane.

Sigh are the pinnacle of the art, imo, and are one of my favorite metal bands. Be sure to check them out if you haven’t before, they’re bonkers.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:31 pm KISS THE MOUTH OF THE SCORPION, BABY

Awesome. One of my favorites. Seen them live about half a dozen times and always an amazing show. Not the same since he got sober. I'm glad he did, but some of the magic was lost. You can also check out the guitarist's side project:
:music-rockon:

The Atomic Bitchwax - Hey Alright

Monster Magnet - Zodiac Lung

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

It pisses me off what a shitty band they became. I really liked them at this period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The part from 1:40 - 2:10 is damn strong and amazing sounding from Oz. I wonder if he is making music to go with a Ozzy movie?

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some old glam rock for you kids. Played this cassette out in the car with my old girlfriend when I was 17. I wonder who the girl in the video is. I dont remember a video for this back then.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Igorrr's new song and video are gloriously insane. This is my most anticipated album of 2020.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Huh. Igorr made a video about what it's like to work at my workplace.

The Browning - Carnage

Dragon

So, the addition of EDM somehow makes deathcore catchy.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Was singing along to Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell in the car. Ahh, brought me back to some good times.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think the proper takeaway from that article is "heavy metal was the genre that saw the greatest increase in streaming via the Tunecore distribution service in 2018" lol. Though I suppose there could be some broader correlation.

I think this might make sense, as the genre has a fair number of older listeners who wouldn't be early adopters of streaming technology.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

If you would expect a band called "Brothers of Metal" to be a power metal band, well, you'd be right.

Here's the closer off their most recent album. Damn, that lead singer can belt it out.

Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've never been much into Heavy Metal, but every time I'm offered good examples I think it might be more the descendant of 19th-century opera than of 1950s/60s Rock 'n Roll.

Is there any conventional wisdom on this?

Also, are then any operatic singers who've dabbled in Metal?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:54 pm I've never been much into Heavy Metal, but every time I'm offered good examples I think it might be more the descendant of 19th-century opera than of 1950s/60s Rock 'n Roll.

I can't speak for all genres of heavy metal (Skinypupy can better than me), but for power metal in particular, there are classical/opera influences all over the place. Be it using an orchestra (real or sampled), or big soaring choruses, or outright covering classical music, power/symphonic metal has a lot in common with classical music.

As to operatic singers who've dabbled in metal, I can't answer that. But plenty of power metal singers, both past and current, either have operatic training or have formal classical training.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Off to look for celtic / scottish metal.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:54 pm Also, are then any operatic singers who've dabbled in Metal?
it's more likely that a classically-trained singer would wind up doing metal. There's been a number of classically-trained singers that made it in rock, Pat Benatar immediately comes to mind. You likely won't find anyone who actually made it in opera move to a more pop genre though. You might see them do operatic renditions, but not actively participate in the genre though since protecting their voice can become more or less an obsession. When one's bread and butter is opera, one needs to be pitch-perfect all of the time, or the critics will bury you.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Not operatic (I'd like to hear more examples of operatic metal too!), but Swede Mathias Blad from folk/power metal band Falconer comes to mind. He was primarily a theatrical/stage singer before performing as session vocalist for their demo and eventually staying on as full time vocalist save for a couple of their albums.

The Clarion Call

Stand In Veneration

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That thumbnail on the opera metal compilation sure seems like a ripoff of a game's cgi. I just cant place it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

C.3.3 - Ballad of Reading Gaol - The Cacophonetta

Test Dept. side project
JCC

Post by JCC »

Nightwish for most of their existence has had opera vocals.

Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:54 pm I've never been much into Heavy Metal, but every time I'm offered good examples I think it might be more the descendant of 19th-century opera than of 1950s/60s Rock 'n Roll.

Sorry I'm late. :)

For operatic metal, the two standard-bearers are Nightwish and Within Temptation. While I'm not a big fan of either, their music is built on operatic female vocals with big orchestrations and epic themes. There's a ton of smaller bands who are built on the same template that I actually like quite a bit better. Epica, Leaves Eyes, and Draconian jump immediately to mind, although you'd also need to have a tolerance for harsh vocals, as they appear quite a bit in each band. Other bands like Seven Spires, Xandria, Visions of Atlants, etc. use primarily clean operatic vocals, but skew way too cheesy for my tastes.

For me, no one does symphonic metal better than Haggard. They combine full orchestral arrangements, folk music, operatic vocals (both male and female), and death metal influences. Again, it requires a tolerance for harsh vocals, but their stuff is absolutely incredible. My two favorites, both from the "Eppur Si Muove" album.

Myrkur also has incredible vocals combined with brutal black metal and Danish folk music. Not "operatic" per se, but quite remarkable. Her "Mausoleum" album is a stunning piece of work as an acoustic live album recorded entirely inside an actual mausoleum.

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:02 pm Off to look for celtic / scottish metal.
Cruachan, Primordial, and Wayfarer are your best bets there.

If you want to expand to more folk metal in general (which I would recommend, it's one of my favorite subgenres :)), I'd strongly recommend Turisas, Korpiklaani, Einseferum, Finntroll, Arkona, Nechochwen, Obsequiae, Amorphis, Equilibrium, etc. If you’re ok with harsh vocals, folk metal done right is one of the funnest genres out there.

Tell me this doesn't look like a blast.

Last edited by Skinypupy on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks, all, for the interesting metal info!

I've never been into it, but I've also never been as much into music in general as the rest of the world. It's good to learn.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Any discussion of folk metal is incomplete without mentioning Skyclad who pretty much created the genre. They went from thrash with some folk touches to full on folk metal. They also have my absolute favorite lyrics from their original vocalist Martin Walkyier.

Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:04 pm Any discussion of folk metal is incomplete without mentioning Skyclad who pretty much created the genre. They went from thrash with some folk touches to full on folk metal. They also have my absolute favorite lyrics from their original vocalist Martin Walkyier.
Fully agree. Total brain fart on my end to not mention them. :oops:

I'd probably also include Summoning on the list as well. They skew a bit more towards the black metal end of the spectrum, but most folk metal bands will cite them as an influence.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Do not forget to invite Eluveitie to the Celtic/folk party:

The Call of the Mountains

Thousandfold

Or my favourite track: Uis Elveti.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

trying (again) to listen to Genesis. still can't get into it. yes, this is Peter Gabriel/Steve Hackett-era (_Foxtrot_)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I love Youtube so much - being able to see recorded live performances is still amazing to me. Still kinda stuck in a fuzzy shoe-gazer mood, as opposed to fuzzy stoner mood. I guess there's a theme. I still don't quite understand how they get so much sound out of those instruments. Maybe those keyboards are adding in a lot more low end than I realize, but for a single guitar to sonically hug you like that is awesome.

Getting back to seeing a recording of a live performance, I have no idea how I'm just figuring out that the drummer has his crash set to a 4' height all the time. This amuses me and he's consistent in doing it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Been playing this the last few days. I think this has a bit of shoe gaze to it...

I dig her. 22 year old Nashville girl already has a Fat Possum record deal under her belt.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Forest of Fog, the solo project of Ivo Henzi, Eluveitie's former guitarist.

Awake - Their newer single, a little more accessible than their older black metal sound as below.

Ein neuer Tag

He now plays in Cellar Darling, a progressive folk metal band. (All ex-Eluveitie members.) I haven't heard them in detail yet, but they sound pretty awesome at first listen:

Freeze

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been watching reaction videos to Eminem's Godzilla song for 5 hours. Em really is the GOAT of rap and flow. And Im not a rap fan at all. To me the best are Beastie Boys and RunDMC but these days Id say Eminem is the best that ever was is or will be.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Youngsters make a fake Green Day album. Sounded good too :)