Does My Absolute Love of IKEA make me less of a Man?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ATB

Post by ATB »

It is, quite simply, the greatest store on planet earth. EVAR!
Why so sensuous?
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

No, but it calls into question your sanity. IKEA is the single WORST store I've ever seen.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

godhugh wrote:No, but it calls into question your sanity. IKEA is the single WORST store I've ever seen.
I second this. My experience shopping there was absolutely horrible, and the merchandise broke down 2 months later. :x
Black Lives Matter
qp

Post by qp »

I just realized they have a $1 breakfast - I mean a full ass breakfast for $1, seems to be a ploy to allow my wife to entice me to go!
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you're going to put their furniture together yourself, I hope you have advanced degrees in structural engineering and particle physics.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I had never heard of them, but they are opening one up right on the the entrance of the expressway that I take to work and have had construction fubaring that corner since November of last year. :x Lots of people around here seem to be excited about them opening. I'm sure I'll see what all of the hubbub is when they do open, but I don't tend to buy/collect/own stuff, so I'll spend my 15 minutes walking through the store and then go home.

$1 breakfast sounds good, though.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote:If you're going to put their furniture together yourself, I hope you have advanced degrees in structural engineering and particle board physics.
Fixed it for ya.
Black Lives Matter
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

yeah Ikea is great....

hideously overpriced and their furniture is ugly as shit.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Isn't IKEA the company mentioned in Fight Club?
I'm special!
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Smoove_B wrote:If you're going to put their furniture together yourself, I hope you have advanced degrees in structural engineering and particle physics.
To use an allen wrench? I hope my degree in engineering is worth more than that.

Ikea is the best cheap furniture there is... looks nice and can be put together by a braindead monkey... but ATB, I hope you realize that this furniture is made by godless Swedes who spit on the sacred institution of marriage. You might as well be making donations to an abortion clinic. ;)
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Does your "absolute love of IKEA make me less of a Man?"

Yes.

Yes, it does.

But only slightly. Since I don't know if how you act when you're in the store, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt: I'll assume you're not giddily saying things like "I simply must have this!" or "Isn't this darling?"

(My secret: I like those catalogs like Hold Everything or any furniture catalog; I think "Hmmmm, maybe I should get rid of the folding card table, lawn chairs, and cinder block shelves, throw away my empty beer can collection, and fix this place up" but then I just have another cold one.)
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Isn't IKEA the company mentioned in Fight Club?
The things you own end up owning you.
There is no hug button. Sad!
El-Producto

Post by El-Producto »

I think you should ask Kratzer's opinion.
baron calamity

Re: Does My Absolute Love of IKEA make me less of a Man?

Post by baron calamity »

ATB wrote:It is, quite simply, the greatest store on planet earth. EVAR!
I too have a love of Ikea. I actually fine that men tend to like Ikea more than women. The style of the furniture is simplistic yet has nice angles, bright colors, and every piece seems to be designed with maximizing a room's space and increasing organization option in mind.

Plus the restaurant is very good considing the price.

The only negative I find is that the furniture will not last generations.
Moggy123

Post by Moggy123 »

LordMortis wrote:so I'll spend my 15 minutes walking through the store and then go home.
Good freaking luck. It'll take that long to get into the parking lot.

The two stores near me are always insanely busy. I think their stuff is shit, but it fulfills a "Now I'm out of college and have a place of my own, how the F*CK am I supposed to furnish this apartment" need out there.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

In Holland, IKEA means cheap as shit furniture. Pretty? nah, not really, but when your budget-challenged, it's a nice store to go to.

So, I will be going to IKEA to buy furniture for my new apartment, as I have no money. If I had money, would I shop there? HELL NO.

The meatballs in the restaurant area are pretty damn tasty though :D
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

I think IKEA's stuff looks good in their catalogue, but when you get it home, it looks and feels like crap.

Although my desk at home was from IKEA, and it has lasted a solid 15 years. I too, will likely be furnishing my first appartment with IKEA.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I was there once. I got a $20 coffee table. They threw in 3 lbs. of frozen meatballs and sauce for free. When I got home I put the coffee table together and ate some meatballs. Both were good but I decided not to go back there again.

I think the shopping cart escalator is damn cool though.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Larraque

Post by Larraque »

They have some pretty nice stuff for different price ranges. Personally, I find myself walking through the store and hating the design on about 95% of the furniture, but there are some pretty nice things. The bedroom armoires are really nice, and some of the display cabinets.

I think the only thing I've bought from them though is a plastic cutting board for the kitchen, a toilet brush, and an ice tray. All were very good quality.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Napoleon wrote:In Holland, IKEA means cheap as shit furniture. Pretty? nah, not really, but when your budget-challenged, it's a nice store to go to.
It has the look of boutique trendy hip modern furniture that would costs 4-5 times as much... certainly you are getting much less quality, but:

The IKEA version should be obvious to anyone who knows anything about furniture... but the top one costs $1200, while the IKEA one costs $350... is it worth it? Not for me, unless I'm using Franklins to light my cigars.

And yes, I know I'm entering into YK/Smoove territory by posting pictures of Chaises... or knowing WTF a chaise is.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I want want one of those for TV watching and for reading. It probably would even eventually become my makeshift bed.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

LordMortis wrote:I want want one of those for TV watching and for reading. It probably would even eventually become my makeshift bed.
It's also perfect for getting fed grapes by slave girls.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:
LordMortis wrote:I want want one of those for TV watching and for reading. It probably would even eventually become my makeshift bed.
Hook me up. If I can get the for $350, I am all aboot it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:
Mr. Sparkle wrote:
Around here, the slave girls will run you about $350 for an hour.
Black Lives Matter
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Jeff V wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Mr. Sparkle wrote:
Yeah, I don't think the slave girls are included in the purchase price... but everyone knows that you can't have slave girls without a chaise, so really it's the first step to having dedicated servants that yell "Hail Ceasar!" when you come into your living room to watch the next episode of Amazing Race.

gellar

Post by gellar »

There are no words to describe my hatred for Ikea.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Mr. Sparkle wrote:
Wow. You get off cheap.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

You could be Swedish.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

killbot737 wrote:
The things you own end up owning you.
"What best expresses me as a person"?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Short answer?

Yes

Long answer?

Yes
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We bought a few things from there and I think you would have better luck getting me to donate my testicles to science tomorrow then getting me to go back to that god forsaken store. The parking lot is like 90 miles long. The store is setup so that it takes you 15 years to get through it. Half the stuff we bought broke within a month because it's built like crap and god forbid you need to ship stuff home!! Here's the steps I had take to get the closets for my bedroom.

1. Pick everysingle piece that I wanted in it... # of shelves, doors, glass for the doors, light for the top...Various other random crap.

2. Go up to some random guy standing at a computer in the middle of nowhere and walk him step by step, piece by f'n piece each item... He then procedes to give a us a list of where we have to pickup all the parts from the warehouse downstairs..

3. Go downstairs and pickup all the pieces we need to get from the list and bring it to the register. Some of these items are huge and heavy.

4. After being rung up on the register we have to go to another desk and fill out a form to have the items shipped to the house. And then finally we can go home...

NEVER AGAIN :evil:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Ikea? I mean, WTF mate? did they just throw a bunch of Boggle cubes into a bag, draw them randomly and then roll them to see what letters came up?
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

No, but your disdain for pr0n does. :P
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

CeeKay wrote:Ikea? I mean, WTF mate? did they just throw a bunch of Boggle cubes into a bag, draw them randomly and then roll them to see what letters came up?
Wikipedia wrote: IKEA - founded by Ingvar Kamprad of Sweden. The name IKEA comes from a clever acronym using the initials of the founder, Ingvar Kamprad, who was from a family farm called Elmtaryd, which was near the village of Agunnaryd. The acronym is for a Swedish phrase but it turns out to be the same in English, Ingvar Kamprad's Economical Alternative.
And of course their product names are even better. There's the Jerker computer desk for all your pr0n needs and the Gutvik bed for children (gutvik literally translated from German is "good fuck").
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Yes, and it took me quite a while to get over this.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Biyobi wrote:
No, but your disdain for pr0n does. :P
Very good!
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
stessier

Post by stessier »

I bought an Ikea bookcase. They offered delivery - great! It was expensive...but even with the shipping, it's still cheaper than getting a local option. They only deliver on Wed and Fri in my area and they call the day before with a 4 hour window. You have to be there the whole time - they can't narrow the window and won't call before arriving. Even if you are willing to schedule out in the future, they won't allow you to pick a window - you will get a call the day before and that's that. This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. :grund: :grund:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:54 am This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
You must have lived a truly blessed life if that is true.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When I was selling my house they did the smoke detector inspection one day a week in a 90 minute window. And that mother f'er showed up at minute 89 the first time and then an entire week later (when I failed) at minute 89 to do the re-inspection.

I ordered two IKEA shelves over the summer and had them delivered for the same reasons - cheaper than driving to only retail site in NJ to get them. Even with waiting, still worth it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

There's a company in my area that built its entire business around delivering from IKEA, because people dislike their in-house delivery service so much.