Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: Random randomness

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:38 pm Anyone tried the 505 Southwestern Green Chili mush from Costco? I've gotten to the point where I put it in everything. Pasta? Chili? Meatballs? Burritos? Quesadillas? Baked Potatoes? I'm about two steps away from putting it in my oatmeal just to see what it'd taste like.
Pizza ?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:53 am I use both options. My password for my manager is a phrase. But the passwords that I have it generate are usually of the random kind. Though I don't generally use that many characters.

That was actually just two random BW passwords pasted back-to-back.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:06 pm Hmmm the COLA coming up for Social Security is 5.9%...fuck. Its not been that high it said since 1982. SS is SEVERELY lagging behind the real cost of living..but this can cause problems too. Like me and my wife had subsidized help with our SS fee for coverage each month. But if you got too much money from SS...say even $1 then you lost out on help....anything from $50 - $100 a month would hit you. That was HARD for us.
When I used to be on SNAP, every $5 increase I got in $5 corresponded to about a $7 decrease in SNAP benefits. The net result was about five years where I received an annual COLA decrease.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:11 pm I think the main pos in this is twitch. Lousy security guys..lousy.
...he says while talking about his ancient, never-changed passwords from his Windows 7 machine while dissing modern security advice.

Seriously, we've been telling you for many, many years that what you were doing was a guaranteed security wreck waiting to happen.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:11 pm I wasn't comp'd it was companies using better OS stuff than me. I think the main pos in this is twitch. Lousy security guys..lousy.
A distinction without much of a difference.

Relying upon your memory to keep track of passwords + reusing the same passwords and variations across multiple different sites = the online data security equivalent of a screen door on a submarine (all the more so, considering you're also using an obsolete, unsupported OS).

Because as soon as a bad actor manages to get their hands on your info, every account that uses it (or a similar variation) is simultaneously compromised. It’s effortless for them to check and see whether the info they’ve acquired can also be used across other online accounts and services.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im fine just annoyed.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Freaking birds everywhere. We are here in West Oklahoma City in a Walmart parking lot and thousands if not tens of thousands of birds circling around. Oklahoma is freaky.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That’s not just an Oklahoma thing. When you’re on the migratory flight paths, it’s a regular occurrence.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:06 pm Hmmm the COLA coming up for Social Security is 5.9%.
According to my wife who is the bookkeeper, this is all good for us. She gets the bump and thanks to someone in the government who years ago decided a spouse who hasn't started collecting SS gets half of what the spouse collects, it's a bump for me as well. I still don't understand it, but I won't complain :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And they take away with raising the cost of Medicare. Blessed are our masters.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:11 pm And they take away with raising the cost of Medicare. Blessed are our masters.
My wife prefers I don't bother myself with the details :wink:
Last edited by jztemple2 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have a mouse in my apartment. I saw him earlier. He was just sitting there…staring at me…mocking me.

Game on, Señor Sneaky. One of us is not making it past Friday alive.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:39 pm a spouse who hasn't started collecting SS gets half of what the spouse collects,
Wait, what?

I gotta learn the Byzantine rules of SS. Neither of us collects it yet, but that's going to change when I hit my full age in a year-and-a-half.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:17 pm I have a mouse in my apartment. I saw him earlier. He was just sitting there…staring at me…mocking me.

Try to get him to help with the rent.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:35 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:39 pm a spouse who hasn't started collecting SS gets half of what the spouse collects,
Wait, what?

I gotta learn the Byzantine rules of SS. Neither of us collects it yet, but that's going to change when I hit my full age in a year-and-a-half.
It boggles me too. In two years I'll be seventy and have to start collecting my own SS, so I'll no longer be collecting an amount that equals half of what my wife currently gets. Or at least this is what my wife tells me. It's all a mystery to me, like quantum mechanics or why anyone would put mayo on a burger.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:58 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:17 pm I have a mouse in my apartment. I saw him earlier. He was just sitting there…staring at me…mocking me.

Try to get him to help with the rent.
I doubt he has pockets. He’s not a marsupial.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SSA
When a worker files for retirement benefits, the worker's spouse may be eligible for a benefit based on the worker's earnings. Another requirement is that the spouse must be at least age 62 or have a qualifying child in her/his care. By a qualifying child, we mean a child who is under age 16 or who receives Social Security disability benefits.

The spousal benefit can be as much as half of the worker's "primary insurance amount," depending on the spouse's age at retirement. If the spouse begins receiving benefits before "normal (or full) retirement age," the spouse will receive a reduced benefit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Half of Wife's benefit will probably exceed my own full benefit, so that's what I intend to file for when I come of age, if I can. I'll probably be claiming before she does. Gotta get some professional advice about this.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:28 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:38 pm Anyone tried the 505 Southwestern Green Chili mush from Costco? I've gotten to the point where I put it in everything. Pasta? Chili? Meatballs? Burritos? Quesadillas? Baked Potatoes? I'm about two steps away from putting it in my oatmeal just to see what it'd taste like.
Pizza ?
If I made my own pizza, I'm sure I would try it. The next time I make a pita into a pizza like thing, I probably will.

Edit: Adding eggs to the list.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't know how Google managed to install their Google Drive on my computer without asking but they did. :x
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Nothing quite like having your 120 lb dog empty the ENTIRE contents of her stomach during nighttime stories...first smack in the middle of your kid's bed, then on their floor.

We've spent the past 90 minutes cleaning dog vomit out of carpet, blankets, drawers, bedframes, clothes, and mattresses, all while two incredibly tired and cranky 8 year olds whined about going to bed. :grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The esophageal muscle tissue from a dog's mouth down to their stomach is comprised 100% of striated muscle. In humans, this tissue is mostly smooth muscle. Why is that important? Because it means a dog has complete voluntary control over their vomit reflex whereas humans do not.

/the more you know
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

That's why we never had children or pets... both tend to do badly when we go off for a couple of weeks vacation.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 pm Nothing quite like having your 120 lb dog empty the ENTIRE contents of her stomach...
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:06 pm The esophageal muscle tissue from a dog's mouth down to their stomach is comprised 100% of striated muscle. In humans, this tissue is mostly smooth muscle. Why is that important? Because it means a dog has complete voluntary control over their vomit reflex whereas humans do not.

/the more you know
I wish they didn't use this superpower to check on what they had for dinner and then eat it again.

We had one dog a while back that vomited up a blue rag. In itself, not a traumatic thing. Problem is, we hadn't had a blue rag like that around in about 2 weeks. Our best guess is that the dog had been vomiting it back up and re-swallowing it periodically - or sharing it with another dog and swapping it back and forth.

:puke-right: :puke-left:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ebay sure has changed. It used to be about bidding on stuff. Now hardly anyone has the option to bid because everything is set up like a store and its buy now. I was hoping to use Ebay to suss out some value in items I might could sell for some money. But theres no way to know with no one bidding on anything what someone is willing to pay for items. Any old fart can price anything for anything...doesn't mean someone will buy it.

Is there other sites where one might find prices and judge value on shit you rummage around in your house to sell?...ya know...like Ebay used to be.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:11 pm Ebay sure has changed. It used to be about bidding on stuff. Now hardly anyone has the option to bid because everything is set up like a store and its buy now. I was hoping to use Ebay to suss out some value in items I might could sell for some money. But theres no way to know with no one bidding on anything what someone is willing to pay for items. Any old fart can price anything for anything...doesn't mean someone will buy it.

Is there other sites where one might find prices and judge value on shit you rummage around in your house to sell?...ya know...like Ebay used to be.
Keep in mind, you need to dig a little deeper to obtain the type of info you're seeking, and use eBay’s Advanced Search page to do so. Firstly, you want to avoid conflating asking prices on an auction item with the prices said item actually sold for. To get the real data on how much the item actually sold for, make sure you're doing a sold items only search. And if you're only interested in auction items and prices, simply check the relevant box for it under the 'Buying formats' section in eBay’s Advanced Search, and that will filter your search results to the details you're after.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ooohh thats neat. Didn't know about the sold stuff I could search. neat. thnx
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This last mortgage bill I took notice that my bill was creeping up higher . I looked back at the other ones and yep some had. They were charging me an escrow....$1 here...$10 there and on. So last week I called them on it and complained. They looked a bit and said they would put it under investigation due to merit or some such. Anyways today I got a refund check in the mail....for $1. A fucking paper check for $1...and they owe me like $20+ ...I pay my own taxes and insurance. Damnit....$1
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All these years I thought the sail panel tweeters didn't work in the car. But nope its the door panel 6x8s. The hard ones to get to. Of course it is. With my life what did I expect. Dumbass me.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

What's with all the pot stores in Oklahoma City? We drove to a museum and hit three bookstores on our travels today and we must have seen at least a couple dozen pot stores.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Should we be concerned that we haven't seen hepcat post in this thread today?
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Swimming pools and the ocean. Was thinking back to my youth. Got hit face first by a big wave once and swallowed a big gulp of ocean water. That stuff is nasty. Nothing like Sonic's ocean water. Another time I somehow managed to gulp down a big slug of public pool water.

If you ever do either of these just hope its ocean water. Both the physical part of pool water and then right after the mental part of thinking just what all is in that water is disgusting. To this day too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:44 pm

Should we be concerned that we haven't seen hepcat post in this thread today?
I bought like 20 bucks worth of traps and set them up around my apartment. Then the exterminator the building uses comes in on Friday afternoon, looks at all of them, and basically says they’re a nice try but that mice find them more amusing than dangerous.

So I basically set up a carnival for rodents in my free time.

The exterminator then laid out a bunch of industrial strength traps. Hopefully this is the end of Señor Sneaky and his crew of brigands.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Firefox tab with add interest pieces had "They Quit. Now They Want Their Jobs Back." right next to "The Great Resignation is Accelerating." Equal time, I guess...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I found a combination of traps, glue boards, and poison works for me. Yes the poisoned ones die in bad places and stink but it's not that bad. Mice caught on the glue boards do look pretty pitiful but it's too late.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wanted to create an incredibly elaborate, Rube Goldberg style mouse trap that would use an oversized hammer to smash the meeses after they traveled along a 20 foot death gauntlet with swinging scythes and darts in the walls; but I discovered that comic book physics don't actually work in real life. :(
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Glue traps are horribly inhumane things.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Arkansas is a horribly inhumane state.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have two electric traps that use 4 AA batteries each. Haven't seen a mice in my place in months after killing like 4 in 4 weeks.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

No AC. No heat. Doorwall is open!!! Still, working outside and I overheat and run out of steam in like 15 minutes. But is my day. Crazy light breeze. Sunny. 60. I never get these.