MLB 2021 Post Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Re: MLB 2021 Post Season

Post by naednek »

All series he would say no swing. Some of them were really close. But now he wants to make a name for himself. Well congrats you did

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Check swings are the closest thing that baseball has to the NFL's "catch / football move" rules.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Right up there with taunting.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

naednek wrote:All series he would say no swing. Some of them were really close. But now he wants to make a name for himself. Well congrats you did

That's a bit extreme but ya terrible call. I think they should have an auto review for the last play of the game. Would at least give a shot at an ump not cocking it up like this.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hey, I scored tickets to ALCS game 3 on Monday. Pretty psyched - I went to one ALDS game (with standing room tickets) vs. the Rays a few years back, but this'll be my first championship series game.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh wow that's awesome. I don't think I've ever been to a playoff game. Not that there were many chances since.1986. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:13 pm
naednek wrote:All series he would say no swing. Some of them were really close. But now he wants to make a name for himself. Well congrats you did

That's a bit extreme but ya terrible call. I think they should have an auto review for the last play of the game. Would at least give a shot at an ump not cocking it up like this.
ya i know it is, it's the aburdity that made me laugh
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have revised my rooting to Red Sox vs. Braves.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nothing like an Altuve miscue to get things off to a good start.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:31 pm I have revised my rooting to Red Sox vs. Braves.
The four teams I wanted to advance to the NLCS/ALCS all lost, so I don't plan to advertise my rooting this time around.
Conform or be cast out!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hmmm, I still like their odds but the Red Sox bullpen isn’t making it easy…
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Walk off by Riley! Braves win!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I love that Braves get home field advantage even though the Dodgers won 106 games to the Braves' 88.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thought this was really interesting.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Another walk off for the Braves! Of course Braves were up 3-1 on the Dodgers last year and lost the series...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I switched to football when they were down 4-2, but flipped back in time to see Jansen blow it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:37 am I switched to football when they were down 4-2, but flipped back in time to see Jansen blow it.
why couldn't he blew it when he played the giants. I was counting on the old Jansen :(
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The good news is I won't have to stay up until midnight to find out who wins.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:05 pm Hey, I scored tickets to ALCS game 3 on Monday. Pretty psyched - I went to one ALDS game (with standing room tickets) vs. the Rays a few years back, but this'll be my first championship series game.
What a game to be at! :dance:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This time I switched to football when it was 9-0 and saw a great finish.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm beginning to think you can't win an ALCS without starting pitching.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:46 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:05 pm Hey, I scored tickets to ALCS game 3 on Monday. Pretty psyched - I went to one ALDS game (with standing room tickets) vs. the Rays a few years back, but this'll be my first championship series game.
What a game to be at! :dance:
Yup! And the crowd was engaged the whole time, even way up. Though to be fair, that's partly out of a fear about whether the Sox bullpen could hold a nine run lead (to that end, ERod going 6 innings was *huge* for the series).

Also apparently three grand slams in one series is an MLB record (and the 1999 Braves are the only other team to hit three grand slams in a postseason). The Sox offense has been their primary strength all year (especially after Schwarber joined the roster), but is the Astros staff this bad, or is this more the Sox being good hitters plus small sample size randomness?
Last edited by El Guapo on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

The Astros starting pitching has mostly just run out of gas. This has been a fear of mine that it was bound to happen at some point this season after the short season last year. Lance McCullers Jr. had been their best pitcher and he’s now out. Luis Garcia is 24 and never pitched 110 innings in a season before this year. He was great until he got to around 130 innings this year and he’s probably near 170 now. Greinke has worn down as the season has gone on too.

Don’t get me wrong, the Red Sox offense is great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nothing like a Dodger meltdown in the 4th... :pop:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Why has Christian Javier not pitched for the Astros before now? He seems really good.

Also, I really don't feel good going to the bullpen with a one run lead. At least if they get through the 6th maybe they can turn it over to Garrett Whitlock.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, so the ump blew what should've been strike three to end the 9th at 2-2, then the hitter of course singles to give the Astros a 3-2. But then Cora goes to Martin fucking Perez? Was he giving up on the game at that point?

Oh well.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:49 pm Ok, so the ump blew what should've been strike three to end the 9th at 2-2, then the hitter of course singles to give the Astros a 3-2. But then Cora goes to Martin fucking Perez? Was he giving up on the game at that point?

Oh well.
That ump has been inconsistent all game. It's really frustrating.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:00 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:49 pm Ok, so the ump blew what should've been strike three to end the 9th at 2-2, then the hitter of course singles to give the Astros a 3-2. But then Cora goes to Martin fucking Perez? Was he giving up on the game at that point?

Oh well.
That ump has been inconsistent all game. It's really frustrating.
Yeah he also called J.D. Martinez out earlier on strikes on a ball that was maybe half a foot off the plate. But oh well.

But the Red Sox were still very much in the game until Cora brought in Perez. He's not the Red Sox's worst reliever, but he's in the running. I know that the bullpen doesn't exactly have a ton of great options after Whitlock, especially since Matt Barnes tragically died in the second half, but why not at least go with Ryan Brasier?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Obviously I'm paying more attention to the bad calls against the Red Sox. But like...seems like he shouldn't work any more ALCS games? This being MLB though I'm sure nothing will happen though.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As a side note, my new theory is that Matt Barnes wished on a monkey's paw to be the Red Sox closer before the 2021 season started.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:14 am Obviously I'm paying more attention to the bad calls against the Red Sox. But like...seems like he shouldn't work any more ALCS games? This being MLB though I'm sure nothing will happen though.
The egregious ones are those outside strikes. I get why people are upset about the Eovaldi curve, but that's a borderline call. It barely caught the very corner of the zone.

He's more consistent than I thought though. He didn't like high or low strikes, but he had a Maddux zone off the plate.
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:07 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:14 am Obviously I'm paying more attention to the bad calls against the Red Sox. But like...seems like he shouldn't work any more ALCS games? This being MLB though I'm sure nothing will happen though.
The egregious ones are those outside strikes. I get why people are upset about the Eovaldi curve, but that's a borderline call. It barely caught the very corner of the zone.

He's more consistent than I thought though. He didn't like high or low strikes, but he had a Maddux zone off the plate.
Yeah the Martinez strike 3 was one of those outside strikes...pretty crazy. Seems like he needs some sort of remedial lesson on those pitches.

I'll also say that the Eovaldi curve looked like more clearly a strike on the replay than it looks on that map, though I'm sure it's more borderline than I remember.

And I don't mean to blame the result only on that call - Martin Perez, and whoever gave Cora the concussion that resulted in him thinking that bringing Perez in was a good idea, had more to do with the outcome.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote:
Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:37 am I switched to football when they were down 4-2, but flipped back in time to see Jansen blow it.
why couldn't he blew it when he played the giants. I was counting on the old Jansen :(
The bad call check swing. Duh! :)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

game 4 is off to a great start :)
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Starting pitching is nice. I think the Astros should continue to investigate this.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Umps tend to call the same pitches, and as long as that is consistent players can live with it. It’s when they jump around that they cause problems.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:19 am Starting pitching is nice. I think the Astros should continue to investigate this.
Name any playoff team that has demonstrated any starting pitching?
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:02 am
Hrothgar wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:19 am Starting pitching is nice. I think the Astros should continue to investigate this.
I thought that was pretty obvious.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:50 pm

What the hell did he do between game 1 and game 5? I mean, Sale was much better too, but damn.

Also, just for everyone's reference, games 2 and 3 were First Half Red Sox, and games 4 and 5 were Second Half Red Sox.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:50 pm

So basically one pitcher from 4 teams. Really the only pitcher who has truly earned ace status was the Giants Webb.
Black Lives Matter