Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, my 11 yr old daughter had a small headache this morning and went into the nurses office.
I guess 'just a headache' is indeed how a majority of kids experience COVID, so the nurse was alarmed (I didn't even know she had one).

She's pulled from school now, I got her tested, and she's now home until the results of a lab test come back negative... (none of that fancy rapid-test crap).
We should know in 48 hours.

Her headache is basically gone now... but, it's indeed rare that she even has a headache, so I'm only 50/50 I guess on what to expect.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Test Results: negative

Hooray!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:clap:
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm Team SpikeVax!!

Spoiler:
Health Canada and PHAC @GovCanHealth (2/4)
The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine will now be named Comirnaty, the Moderna vaccine will be named SpikeVax, and the AstraZeneca vaccine will be named Vaxzevria.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My first take on Vaxevria was that it sounds like an STD. Or possibly a villain from a Power Rangers serial.

I suppose either of those isn't entirely incompatible with TheFalconer's take... :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Edit: In response to Smoove's post.

You are on fire today! :lol:

Did you start day-drinking earlier than normal? :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:18 pm My first take on Vaxevria was that it sounds like an STD. Or possibly a villain from a Power Rangers serial.

I suppose either of those isn't entirely incompatible with TheFalconer's take... :coffee:
How can I even take you seriously when you leave out the all-important Z?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That's what I get for looking at the meme instead of the press release.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, I'll ask.

Why?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Waiting for articles, but by a vote of 16-2, the FDA advisory panel just voted AGAINST boosters for everyone. Not sure if they're going to vote on boosters for 60+ or 65+ today.

Unofficially, I endorse this (if you were wondering).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Slightly more: (thread)

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's more stuff. And as a final updated, they did vote in favor of boosters for people aged 65+, which isn't a surprise.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Does that take place 8 months after the second shot or any time now?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

What is the reason for that? Want to vaccinate more people first?

Booster for later when enough people are fully vaccinated?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

There have been studies that show the vaccines less effective over time. I'm thinking of one in Israel specifically. There's also Pfizer trying to sell more vaccines and make more money by convincing everyone they need a booster shot. After first rejecting the idea the FDA has changed it's mind a bit and says that now olde farts and the immunocompromised should get a booster shot to be safe.
Last I heard the booster shot was supposed to be given 8 months after the second dose of the vaccine.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Family update for me.

Its most likely my teen daughter had covid. flu symptoms and loss of smell, after going into school the first week. My crazy ex wife didn't bother to get her tested. Daughter is back in school now

My sister (an actual adult) got sick, and thinks its covid. She has 5 kids under age of vaccination, and also my mother lives with her. hey all ended up with cold symptoms of various degrees. Nobody sick enough for the ER. All the adults were vaccinated.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:52 pm Does that take place 8 months after the second shot or any time now?
I keep seeing mixed info. I believe the studies said 8 months but I'd thought the recommendation was going to be for 6 months.

What is the reason for that? Want to vaccinate more people first?
It's a risk calculation. People 65+ are in the greatest risk category for complications (even if vaccinated) and hospitalization, so giving them a booster will have the greatest benefit. I don't get the impression we are or have been in a vaccine shortage state here in the U.S. - quite the opposite.

It will not surprise me if they open boosters to people 40+ after the first of the year or in the Spring. But really, we need to get more adults vaccinated and hope that uptake for kids under 16 increases when the 5-11 age range is approved soon-ish.
stessier

Post by stessier »

My youngest hit the fully vaccinated mark on Sept 10th. On the 12th, she came down with a really bad sore throat. We got her tested and she was negative for both Strep and Covid. It progressed to severe congestion and coughing for two days before it started to clear up. She went back to school on Day 6 and now on Day 8, only has a slight runny nose. Unfortunately, on Day 5 my other daughter got sick and on Day 7, I got it. We think it's the same thing - started with a severe sore throat before morphing into severe congestion (I was so stuffed up last night that my molars hurt), but just went to get tested today. Look like I'll be working from home for most of this week.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Realized I put this in the politics thread rather than this one...
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 am Haven't seen this posted yet: Pfizer is out with a press release this AM confirming that their vaccine is safe and effective in children 5-11. This was an expected step prior to them submitting for EUA approval. This release also confirms that they still expect to submit that application by the end of this month.

So, hopefully late October for approval? :csmile:

Also, just came across this tidbit in the Ars article:
The company has also estimated that it will be ready to submit vaccine data for even younger children—ages 6 months to 5 years—about a month later, in the early November timeframe. If all goes well, that could put vaccine availability for that youngest group around the start of December.
Vaccine availability for everyone before Christmas? :csmile: :csmile:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:21 am Look like I'll be working from home for most of this week.
Also, congratudolences!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

4 steps that have to happen before Covid-19 vaccine is available for children ages 5 to 11
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Interesting that boosters were voted against, yet there's this tidbit in the news today.
Data collected from 18 states between March and August suggest the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine reduces the risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19 by 91% in the first four months after receiving the second dose. Beyond 120 days, however, that vaccine efficacy drops to 77%.

Meanwhile, Moderna’s vaccine was 93% effective at reducing the short-term risk of COVID-19 hospitalization and remained 92% effective after 120 days.

Overall, 54% of fully vaccinated Americans have been immunized with the Pfizer shot.
If Israel was seeing a marked increase in hospitalization rate in fully vaxxed that was mitigated with a third shot -- doesn't that basically underscore the need to boost (at least apparently for Pfizer only, not for Moderna?).
No.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

FishPants wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:24 pm Interesting that boosters were voted against, yet there's this tidbit in the news today.
Data collected from 18 states between March and August suggest the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine reduces the risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19 by 91% in the first four months after receiving the second dose. Beyond 120 days, however, that vaccine efficacy drops to 77%.

Meanwhile, Moderna’s vaccine was 93% effective at reducing the short-term risk of COVID-19 hospitalization and remained 92% effective after 120 days.

Overall, 54% of fully vaccinated Americans have been immunized with the Pfizer shot.
If Israel was seeing a marked increase in hospitalization rate in fully vaxxed that was mitigated with a third shot -- doesn't that basically underscore the need to boost (at least apparently for Pfizer only, not for Moderna?).
I think it might depend on if the increase in hospitalizations were largely among those who are elderly or have comorbidities (who will be eligible for boosters) or not.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

U.S. Pfizer booster has green light:
The Food and Drug Administration authorized a booster dose Wednesday of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID vaccine for people 65 and older and others at high risk of severe COVID disease.

The FDA says the vaccine can also be given to people ages 18 to 64 whose jobs or institutional exposure to the coronavirus puts them at high risk of serious complications of COVID-19.

A third shot of the vaccine can be given at least six months after completion of the two-dose regimen of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, according to the authorization.
They give examples of jobs and institutional exposures such as:
certain populations such as health care workers, teachers and day care staff, grocery workers and those in homeless shelters or prisons, among others,
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Smoove_B wrote:U.S. Pfizer booster has green light:
The Food and Drug Administration authorized a booster dose Wednesday of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID vaccine for people 65 and older and others at high risk of severe COVID disease.

The FDA says the vaccine can also be given to people ages 18 to 64 whose jobs or institutional exposure to the coronavirus puts them at high risk of serious complications of COVID-19.

A third shot of the vaccine can be given at least six months after completion of the two-dose regimen of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, according to the authorization.
They give examples of jobs and institutional exposures such as:
certain populations such as health care workers, teachers and day care staff, grocery workers and those in homeless shelters or prisons, among others,
My wife is a school teacher and I believe she's near or at 6 months. Hopefully we can get her the booster here soon.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Imma make sure Wife gets her Pfizer booster when she turns 65 in six weeks. I have to wait until next April.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

IIRC my Dad and my MIL got Pfizer and are 65+, so I expect they'll both be getting boosters. My mother got Moderna, so I guess she'll have to wait for now.
Black Lives Matter.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

After over one year of online classes for students because of COVID-19, this month Indonesian government insisted on trial of partial face to face class for parents that allow their kids to attend. Today the result is out. Almost 7000 primary school students were infected. Also over 1000 of junior high and over 1000 of senior high students were infected, too. From over 40000 that join the trial, over 1500 schools have new COVID-19 clusters. Most of the primary school students are under 12 years old which means they were not vaccinated.

I'm glad that I didn't allow my daughter to join the trial. Surprising to me, my wife wanted my daughter to join the trial but I managed to convince her that it was a bad idea.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Seems relevant.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Needs some "Don't you dare take away my freedom by putting this plane on lockdown during the flight - I will damn well go outside if I want to!"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NEW: Pfizer is ready to ask the FDA for authorization to use its Covid-19 vaccine in children 5-11 “within days,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla told ABC.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im looking forward to my booster come Nov. Theres new shows on Mars I should be able to pick up.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Still no word on approvals for 5-11 year olds, but hopefully this week!

In other news, the antiviral developed by Merck seems to be working:
Laboratory studies show that Merck & Co's (MRK.N) experimental oral COVID-19 antiviral drug, molnupiravir, is likely to be effective against known variants of the coronavirus, including the dominant, highly transmissible Delta, the company said on Wednesday.

Since molnupiravir does not target the spike protein of the virus - the target of all current COVID-19 vaccines - which defines the differences between the variants, the drug should be equally effective as the virus continues to evolve, said Jay Grobler, head of infectious disease and vaccines at Merck.

Molnupiravir instead targets the viral polymerase, an enzyme needed for the virus to make copies of itself. It is designed to work by introducing errors into the genetic code of the virus.

Data show that the drug is most effective when given early in the course of infection, Merck said.
No word on if it's apple flavored, but here's hoping it's available soon.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:47 pm Still no word on approvals for 5-11 year olds, but hopefully this week!
Word, that is. Still a ~month for approvals, right?
No word on if it's apple flavored, but here's hoping it's available soon.
I'd settle for 'any flavor' if it works!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unagi wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:49 pm So, my 11 yr old daughter had a small headache this morning and went into the nurses office.
I guess 'just a headache' is indeed how a majority of kids experience COVID, so the nurse was alarmed (I didn't even know she had one).

She's pulled from school now, I got her tested, and she's now home until the results of a lab test come back negative... (none of that fancy rapid-test crap).
We should know in 48 hours.

Her headache is basically gone now... but, it's indeed rare that she even has a headache, so I'm only 50/50 I guess on what to expect.
So, my (vaccinated) 14 yr old reports to have lost most of their sense of taste this morning and went into the nurses office... So, we are now home together - waiting to get the results of their test.