Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: Random randomness

Post by Max Peck »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:31 pm My wife seems to think Prevegen helps her memory. I think it's a scam. Anyrate she gave me $40 to buy a bottle. I remember last year it was $25. Last month it was $40. This month it's $90.
WTF happened?
You're probably correct about it being a scam, at any rate.

Jellyfish Memory Supplement Prevagen Is a Hoax, FTC Says
The Federal Trade Commission and New York’s attorney general charged a company with fraud on Monday for selling a memory supplement based on a glowing jellyfish protein.

Makers of a product called Prevagen are falsely advertising it as a memory booster, and falsely claiming the product can get into the human brain, the charges claim.

But the company pushed back hard, insisting its product is safe and calling the FTC is a “lame-duck” federal agency with heads who are about to be replaced by the incoming administration of president-elect Trump.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They're jacking up the price before people remember it's a scam.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know why anyone believes anything from an infomercial.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

went to Goodwill for the first time in over six months today. in the computer peripherals section there was a Razer BlackWidow Chroma mechanical keyboard for $12 which i totally would have purchased if i didn't already own three mechanical keyboards already. i did buy an Iomega Zip 100 drive for $8 as i have two Zip disks from years ago from which i need to recover the information... hopefully the drive isn't broken (and the disks are still good).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got Goodwills and thrift stores all around me but not a single store has computer hardware or software these days. They all suck.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Very small EBT rant again. Got a letter stating my EBT amount will go up...yay...to $104...from $98. Well better than nothing I guess. But during this COVID stuff Ive been getting $194 a month. And thats still not enough to last the month and Im buying junk foods, frozen dinners, cheap crap and filling my cabinet and freezer. I dont eat a lot. I actually try to save and make do. So when it goes back to $104 Im not sure how Im going to get along. Ive not been to the normal monthly food assistance since COVID started. I really dont want to. Its all dried beans and canned beans anyways. God Im so sick of bean beans beans beans. I want to throw up. I still have 2 grocery bags of beans in there Ive been working on a year. Eech. The other place is only every 3 months and actually gives peanut butter(have 5 jars still) and canned meats like big cans of tuna and chicken. Sometimes pork. But only about 4 cans.

And again according to the Govs own website a household with an elderly or disabled person is automatically qualified for the max EBT....but they continue to deny me. Im not sure Ill make it until the home is paid off or I die first at this rate lol. So physically and mentally taxing on a person. Ive dug into my property tax saving each month to get by and now I dont have enough to cover that 4th year . I had planned to put back a bit each month. But good Lord the devil is trying me.

Depending on that 2nd stimulus check to come in so I can replenish my tax money, fix the car, and buy some things then have some left over. You know what they say about counting your chickens.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:10 pm What happened to your avatar?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ah I c sorta...ish.

Also...Here Come the Mummies are coming to Chattanooga! Aww man.
Here Come the Mummies (HCTM) is a funk band, best known for its live performances and anonymous band members.
Contents
The band consists of various professional musicians based in Nashville, Tennessee. There are rumored to be several Grammy awards among the members,[1] though this is difficult to verify, as the identities of band members are kept "under wraps."[citation needed] Members are believed to be under contract to various record labels, hiding their identities so as to prevent contract disputes while performing.[2][citation needed]

According to the band's humorous promotional material: "Some say [the band was] cursed after deflowering a great Pharaoh’s daughter. Others claim they are reincarnated Grammy-Winning studio musicians. Regardless, HCTM’s mysterious personas, cunning song-craft, and unrelenting live show will bend your brain, and melt your face."[3]
Members.....

Mummy Cass - Guitar, Lead vocals
Eddie Mummy - Drums, Vocals
Spaz - Keyboards, Vocals
K.W. Tut - Bass, Vocals
The Pole! - Bass
Midnight Mummy - Baritone Sax, Tenor Sax, Flute, Keytar, Percussion, Vocals
The Flu - Alto Sax, Clarinet, Flute
Ra - Tenor Sax
High Priest of Death (HPOD) - Trumpet
(Dr.) Mummy Yo - Baritone Sax, Tenor Sax, Alto Sax, Sousaphone, Flute
Mummy Highlander - Saxophone (alternate)
Motherlode - Saxophone (alternate)

Some sample music videos

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:12 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:10 pm What happened to your avatar?
traitors is what they are

Enlarge Image

the "Wild" can also bite it
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hard for me to accept that Amber Heard gets work after lying about Johnny Depp. Could have cost him his career or jail time or family. Yet she gets off free and gets to make nice movies. In fact I see where she is up for Aquaman 2. She should be banned.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:12 pm Very small EBT rant again. Got a letter stating my EBT amount will go up...yay...to $104...from $98. Well better than nothing I guess. But during this COVID stuff Ive been getting $194 a month. And thats still not enough to last the month and Im buying junk foods, frozen dinners, cheap crap and filling my cabinet and freezer. I dont eat a lot. I actually try to save and make do. So when it goes back to $104 Im not sure how Im going to get along. Ive not been to the normal monthly food assistance since COVID started. I really dont want to. Its all dried beans and canned beans anyways. God Im so sick of bean beans beans beans. I want to throw up. I still have 2 grocery bags of beans in there Ive been working on a year. Eech. The other place is only every 3 months and actually gives peanut butter(have 5 jars still) and canned meats like big cans of tuna and chicken. Sometimes pork. But only about 4 cans.
Your funds will go a lot further if you stick with basic fundamentals instead of processed meals and prepackaged junk food, which needn't necessarily be solely rice and beans. Though there's clearly no denying they remain among the best options, so consider grabbing additional seasonings and spices if you're seeking more variety (e.g. try making some simple and easy curries if you've never done so before or some Puerto Rican rice and beans).

Courtesy of Dave Ramsey's How to Eat Healthy on a Budget guide, here are some other solid recommendations:
DaveRamsey.com wrote:We hear it all the time: “Eating healthy on a budget is impossible!” And the truth is—nope, it’s not. Did you know plenty of healthy foods are actually budget friendly? It’s true! You know what isn’t budget friendly? Processed junk. Yeah, we said it.

And get this . . . we’re not talking about only beans and rice here (although, that’s a perfect example of healthy and cheap). There are plenty of ways you can stick to eating healthy on a budget!

How to Eat Healthy on a Budget in 15 Steps
1. Plan your meals.
That’s right—it’s meal prep time! And guess what? It really isn’t as hard as you might think it is. Making a plan for your meals is kind of like making a plan with your budget. It might take some practice at first, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll be golden!

Spend one night a week planning the meals you want to make for the next seven days. Depending on when you go grocery shopping, these meals might use up what’s left in your fridge or be based around your grocery shopping list for the week. Either way, just make sure you have a plan and stick to it.

2. Shop for produce that’s in season.
Shopping for a watermelon in December is probably going to cost you—and will it even taste good? We’re willing to bet it probably won’t. Unless you have a pregnant woman in your house who has to have watermelon this very instant, just skip it and shop for fruits and veggies that are actually in season. Your wallet will thank you!

A great place to buy produce in season is your local farmers market. Now, not everything at a farmers market is going to be cheap. But hear us out—you never know what you’re going to find.

Walk around the entire place before you buy anything. This way, you can take note of who has the best-looking food at the best prices. Some vendors will even cut you a deal if you buy multiple items or pay in cash. And if you head to the market later in the day, prices may be marked down to help them sell the last of their items.

You don’t need to do all your produce shopping at a farmers market. Just stick to grabbing a few essentials that fit in your budget. Don’t forget—you can always negotiate prices too.

Bonus tip: Buy extra of the fruits and veggies that are in season and freeze them. You can enjoy them over time and not feel rushed to eat five containers of strawberries before they go bad.

3. Stop buying processed food.
Hey, you know what isn’t healthy and racks up your food budget? Processed food. We’re talking about things like chicken nuggets and pizza pockets, refined sugars, boxed mashed potatoes, frozen dinners, prepackaged meals, cookies, hot dogs, potato chips and other salty snacks. They’re not cheap, and they’re not doing your health any favors, either. And you’re trying to eat healthy here, remember?

A good rule of thumb: Stick to the outer edges of the grocery store when you shop. The closer you go toward the middle aisles, the more processed the food gets.

4. Go meatless.
It’s no secret that eating meat all the time isn’t the healthiest option. Give your body and budget a break and go meatless for a while. Maybe that means you cut it out for the month (gasp) or just go a few nights a week without it. There are other (cheaper!) ways to get protein these days, like dried beans and lentils.

When you do buy meat, just be picky about what you purchase. Stick to lean cuts of meat that are on sale.

5. Make enough food for leftovers.
Making healthy food at home—win. Making healthy food at home with plenty left over for meals during the week—double win. Be on the lookout for meals that can feed you and your family for days on end. Meals like chili, stews and casseroles are going to be your best friends in this department. Slow cooker and Instant Pot recipes are great for this too!

6. Don’t eat out.
Yes, this no-brainer did make our list. Even though we all know this is a huge part of eating healthy on a budget, not enough of us actually make it a priority and stick to it. When you’re super hungry, it’s just a little too easy to swing by the drive-thru or build-your-own-burrito line. But just because it’s easy doesn’t mean it’s the wisest decision.

You know what’s an unexpected side effect of following Dave Ramsey’s plan to become debt-free? Losing weight! It’s true. A lot of people who go through Financial Peace University and start living on a budget find they’re not only shedding the debt but they’re also shedding the pounds!

7. Bring your own lunch and snacks.
Think about it: If you’re packing your own snacks, you’ll probably be more likely to reach for the carrot sticks and hummus. If you wait until you’re standing in front of the work vending machine, your options are basically just potato chips or crackers—and it’s going to cost more too.

8. Stop buying soda.
It’s crazy how easy it is to drink your calories (and drain your budget) just by pumping your body full of soda. Even “healthy” fruit juices can be packed full of sugar.

To save cash (and calories), try switching to water and straight-up black coffee as your beverages of choice. It might sound like weird and unusual torture at first, but you’ll be surprised by the big impact it can have over the long haul.

9. Buy in bulk.
Buying food in bulk can be great, but we fully admit it doesn’t always make sense for your budget or your health. So, let’s just be clear: We’re not talking about the 60-ounce bag of caramel kettle corn here. But if you notice the go-to hummus you eat every single day is $4 for 10 ounces, but it’s $6 for 32 ounces, then maybe that’s worth the bulk buy.

Keep your eyes peeled for good deals, crunch some numbers, and you might just find yourself some bargains!

10. Check the clearance aisle.
Yeah, we’re serious. Did you know most grocery stores have some kind of clearance aisle or dedicated manager’s markdown shelf? There might be random things you don’t need, but every now and again, you can find bread, meat, spices and even produce that the store needs to clear out ASAP. Their markdown is your gain! Just be sure to check expiration dates.

11. Buy generic.
If you’ve been around here for more than five seconds, you’ve probably heard us sing the praises of opting for generic items instead of name-brand products. And there’s good reason for it—more often than not, generic items are cheaper and taste just as good as their competitors.

But are they just as healthy? The answer here is simple: You’ll need to read the labels and check.

12. Don’t buy everything organic.
“It’s organic! It’s better for you! Price doesn’t matter! Buy it now!” Sound familiar? Listen, we aren’t here to argue with health-food gurus about the benefits of organic products. But just keep in mind you don’t have to buy everything organic.

A great rule of thumb is to buy organic fruits and vegetables if you eat the skin (think apples, strawberries, cucumbers, zucchini). For produce that you have to peel or cut open (oranges, watermelon, cantaloupe, avocados), you don’t have to go organic.

And if you really want to do a deeper dive, check out something called the Dirty Dozen. It’s a list of the top 12 worst fruits and veggies covered with pesticides. Yuck! Two words to combat that: veggie wash.

If you still want to go organic but can’t stomach the cost, look for organic fruits and vegetables in the frozen aisle. You can get way more bang for your buck there! And what about the vitamins and nutrients in frozen produce? Despite what Grandma always said, one study found that frozen fruits and veggies don’t lose their nutritional value!1

13. Stay away from high-priced ingredients.
You’ve stopped going out to eat and are pretty proud of yourself. Not only are you saving money and dropping pounds but you’re becoming something of a wiz in the kitchen too. You can’t wait to impress your friends with your Bluefin Tuna Tartare recipe.

But hold it there, Julia Child. Make sure you’re not buying pricey specialty ingredients that you’ll only use once in these to-die-for recipes. Things like specialty cheeses, spices and meats can really send your grocery budget overboard.

14. Dilute your drinks.
So, you’ve (reluctantly) sacrificed the soda, but you’ve replaced it with juice and kombucha. Okay . . . points for being healthier, but those drinks are still going to add up in your grocery budget.

To save you some dough, try to stretch them out by diluting your kombucha with mineral water (it’ll still be fizzy) and cutting the juice with water (it’ll cut the sugar too).

15. Buy ingredients you can repurpose.
This one is super fun and makes having leftovers feel less left over. Let’s say you decided to cook up a whole chicken for dinner one night. You and your fam eat some slices of meat, but there’s a ton of chicken left over. Nice!

The next night, take that leftover chicken, shred it up, and make tacos. On day three, toss the bones in the Instant Pot and make some bone broth to use as the base of the soup you eat that night.

Boom! You just got three meals (and maybe even some leftovers for lunch) out of that one whole chicken!

Cheap Foods for Eating Healthy on a Budget
We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: Rice and beans are healthy for you, and they’re pretty dang cheap too. Cook up a veggie medley on the side, and you’ve got yourself a super inexpensive and healthy meal. You can even get fancy and do black beans and brown rice. Throw in some salsa and have yourself a fiesta.

But you don’t have to survive on just beans and rice to master eating healthy on a budget. Here are some budget-friendly ingredients to add to your grocery list:
  • Eggs
  • Multigrain pasta
  • Multigrain bread
  • Oats
  • Russet potatoes
  • Cottage cheese
  • Spinach
  • Tuna
  • Dried lentils
  • Baby carrots
  • Apples
  • Bananas
  • Brown rice
  • Chicken breast
  • Apples
  • Cabbage
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Oranges
  • Kale
  • Peanut butter
  • Broccoli
  • Onions
  • Dried beans
  • Quinoa
  • Yogurt
  • Frozen fruits
  • Frozen vegetables
How Do You Budget for Food When You’re on a Diet?
Keto. Paleo. Whole30. Gluten free. Vegan. There are plenty of different diets to follow out there—and they all can impact your budget. Whether you’re following a specific diet because you want to lose 15 pounds, because of a food allergy, or just because it makes you feel better, here are a few things to keep in mind:

Look for places that offer cheaper versions of the food you need. Gluten-free bread is expensive, but stores like Costco and Aldi have cheaper options than many other specialty stores.

Avoid diets that make you purchase “their food.” If you find it’s truly a must-have to eat a company-based product in order to stick to the diet, then add a line item to your budget specifically for your special diet. This is where you’ll budget for those shakes and bars that companies sell.

If you can, stick to simple and skip the fad diets. Eat less sugar, drink more water, up the protein, cut the carbs, and eat more fruits and veggies.

Best Places to Buy Cheap Groceries
There’s no denying marketing works—even food marketing. Somehow, we’ve gotten it into our heads that in order to “eat healthy,” we have to shop for groceries at the well-known, specialty “healthy grocery stores” (you know the places).

Those kinds of stores might have things on sale, sure. But there’s no need to do all your grocery shopping for the week there. And guess what! Lots of other stores sell fruits, veggies and other healthy food items at slashed prices too. Here are the top 13 American grocery stores with the cheapest prices! You can use this as your go-to grocery store list when eating healthy on a budget:
  1. Aldi
  2. Market Basket
  3. WinCo Foods
  4. Food 4 Less
  5. Costco
  6. Walmart
  7. Trader Joe’s
  8. Walmart Neighborhood Market
  9. Lidl
  10. Amazon
  11. H-E-B
  12. Peapod
  13. Sam’s Club
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lets see if I can address some of that.

1 I dont have meals. I eat one frozen dinner a day or one can of something or one whatever
2 I dont buy produce. I dont eat fresh fast enough...cept bananas..yum..helps my leg cramps
3 They're cheap....health..phh dont need it
4 no
5 I had leftover scalloped potatoes from the box I made yesterday
6 well thank you captain obvious . Tell ya what sir..give me money and Ill still not eat out thanks to not having a window that works
7 bring them where? Im home all day every day
8 This I should do..really should. ive cut down
9 not enough to buy in bulk plus again would go bad./..though I did get mayo buy one get one twice now
10 I shop clearance stores not aisles
11 its almost all generic and store brands or cheap brands
12 I buy nothing organic..its all a ripoff and overpriced anyways

Section 2;

I eat a lot of that stuff but canned

Section 3

1 tiny little store on the other side of town thats a 30 min drive
2 dont have
3 dont have
4 dont have
5 one in another city but not a member..again money and waste
6 I do shop here sometimes for things I cant get like good bananas, their brand canned goods, and the 4 or 5 tvs I buy each year..kidding
7 no have i
8 no have i
9 no have i
10 HahahahHAhAhAHahahahahahah RIGHT. Has this fool seen the prices??? Stuff on Amazon food wise that is $25 I can get here for $2...then shipping is $25...
11 not have
12 not have
13 next town over and membership is not for me

Im not sure where this guy got his lame ideas. He should actually have all his cash taken but $50 and give him food stamps..let him rewrite his ideas in a year.

But thanks for trying. I do as best i can. I admit I splurge on one item a month. Like I spent $6 on a steak this month. If I didn't I think Id shoot myself. That list did remind me I need to buy ramen. Lots of ramen.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

New post only on Kikkoman. Dont worry a bottle lasts me 5 years it seems...maybe 2. I got a bottle about 10 years ago and tried it. Almost coughed my head off. My reaction was "Thats pure liquid salt!!"..Id never had it before in my life. I sat it back in the fridge. It sat there for about 6 or 7 years because it was out of date by 4 years when I got it out again. The strange thing is it tasted great then. In fact I used it all and bought another bottle a year or so ago. But it doesn't taste as good. Somehow being opened and old that old one tasted a lot better. But I still love it and reach for it if A: Im sick of eating the same food a lot...like beans...and B: if something is just missing that 'something' to it.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:29 pm Lets see if I can address some of that.

1 I dont have meals. I eat one frozen dinner a day or one can of something or one whatever
2 I dont buy produce. I dont eat fresh fast enough...cept bananas..yum..helps my leg cramps
Given that frozen and processed meals are undeniably more expensive and unhealthy, why not reconsider planning and making some simple meals of your own -- especially when you know you are going to have even less resources to spend on food?

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cooking a meal is much more expensive.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It depends heavily on the meal and on definitions, but yeah. Eating cheap processed foods can be much cheaper than eating fresh and/or unprocessed foods unless you're talking about bulk dry grains. That's one of the things that these articles always seem to miss the mark on, mostly because it is people who have always had money talking about how to be poor. They look at expensive processed foods and compare those to typical fresh foods. The problem is that the truly poor aren't eating expensive processed foods. Chicken nuggets? Pizza pockets? That stuff's expensive! They're not munching on four dollar TV dinners three times a day, they're eating 25-cent ramen and 30 cent hot dogs. Yeah, dry beans are cheaper than eating fresh meat every day. Who, exactly, do they think can afford fresh meat every day? Many of the suggestions you see in these types of articles also involve much more labor- and time- intensive eating solutions when the working poor are likely to have far less free time than other people.

With that said, I do most of what is suggested there, and most of it does work, or can be adapted for use by actual poor people.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:40 pm Cooking a meal is much more expensive.
Not necessarily. A simple web search provides countless recommendations, recipes, Youtube videos, and ideas on how to make it work, e.g. here's a simple 7-Day Budget Meal Plan & Shopping List that uses cheap and easy-to-find ingredients to create healthy and enjoyable dinners for less than $3 per serving, as written by a registered dietician for EatingWell.com. Here's another 7 Day Family Meal Plan for $25 for a family of four. CookingLight.com also provides a wide variety of budget-friendly healthy meal plans, many of which fall under $2.50 per serving. And here's a free illustrated PDF cookbook called “Good and Cheap,” specifically developed primarily for those using SNAP (food stamp) benefits which explains how to eat well on $4 or less per day.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I buy $1 frozen meals at Save A Lot. They have an ok selection. maybe 8 or so. Ive run through them enough to be tired of them over the years but for $1 I can get some meatloaf with mashpotatoes and gravy with some corn with a dessert of apple stuff. Or just spaghetti and meatballs. Or maybe chicken friend chicken, potatoes and mac. Plus it lasts a long time in the freezer so it wont spoil.

Take the meatloaf one. If I made it Id have to make more than what I get in the dinner so Ill have to add more but lets just see.....

ground beef - $5
onion - $1
cheese - $4
eggs - $2
potatoes - $5
cream - $1
gravy mix - $1
corn - $1
apples and stuff - $6

Id get only 3 meals from the meatloaf......and the dinners are smaller in size so lets say 8 dinners to = the amount of meatloaf since its a slice per. So $8 vs $26. Id still have most eggs and half the potatoes from the make it myself pool. I come out much better just getting pre made..cheap and fast. I also dont spend on power running my well pump for washing water and dish soap..which is a pittance Im sure. Plus I run the microwave 4 min compared to almost 2 hours of a 220v oven.

They all pan out this way..premade vs cook at home. Even when there was both of us we only made 1 meal at home a month.

But Im trying to cut my cola down big time. Im not doing well at it yet but I want to be down to one a day and have water most the rest of the time. I also need to cut my chips out totally. Ive tried but when I do I get really hungry and then get sick. I end up eating waaaay too much..like 3 days of my food in one day and being sick again. So Im sick sick. Trying to cut down...add other things in like a poached egg or something. Its just hard not to have something to crunk on here in this room.

I was thinking yesterday life sucks. I have no control of anything but my eating. Im constantly at odds with the mortgage place, I owe owe owe and never have enough, I am responsible for everything now. But I can eat all on my own. My wife suffered from anorexia as a child. She once told me when I asked her why that she was a nervous child and always under stress and pushed to be a perfect student by her mom and to learn piano because of her mom. Tons of stuff was put on her. She said eating was the one thing she controlled. I feel that way but without the anorexia.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

One does have to make some up-front investments in cooking, but if one does it regularly the costs amortize.

For example, tonight was Burger Night. To pull it off, I needed hamburger, burger buns, an onion, cheese, pickles, lettuce, mayo, mustard, and a tomato (in season, otherwise ketchup).

The ground beef cost something like $15 for 3 lbs, and that makes 9 patties. Six whole-wheat Kaisers are about $3, and one could certainly choose cheaper buns. A red onion is under a buck and lasts for at least a month, even after being cut. Deli cheese is $6/lb, which is probably 20 slices. The rest of the ingredients are expendable according to taste and budget, but again, after you buy them once you have them on hand -- even a head of lettuce will last a month in the crisper. All in all, I'd estimate the cost of my hamburger at around $3.50. However, the price of admission was in the neighborhood of $35.

Point being that if you stick with it, you can eat very well for not much money, whereas it's a losing proposition if you do this:

Spoiler:
And yet I never stop thinking, "Yes, these ingredients cost more than a restaurant meal, but think how many meals I'll get out of them! Especially since each one will have leftovers!
It's an investment you shouldn't commit to unless you enjoy (or at least tolerate) cooking and appreciate quality food. If I were cooking only for myself, I'd probably keep doing it because it's a longstanding habit, but it's not something I'd make the effort to take up if I were single.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, my weekly grocery budget is $50 per person, and that includes all non-food expenses such as toilet paper, cleaning products, hygiene products, and other household necessities. On the average, that's probably $35 per person per week for food, or $5 per day for three meals, or $1.60 per meal. One of the family is autistic with a very limited diet, another has a gastrointestinal disorder, and I have my own dietary limitations (nothing grainy, no beans.) One-size-fits-all meal plans aren't going to happen, nor are meals that you could fit in one pocket (one of the suggestions in that $25 meal plan would mean giving each family member one baked potato and four strips of bacon for dinner, and nothing else, which would get me hung from the porch as a warning to others.)

There are ways to eat cheap. Most of that first list had good suggestions, such as cutting out soft drinks, buying in bulk, and avoiding expensive fads like organic foods. There are other tricks that are more helpful. One is to have a few meals each week that are especially cheap in order to shift some budget to a few meals that are more expensive. If I want to do burgers on Saturday with the kids, I'll eat peanut butter two or three times that week in order to shift budget to the burgers. If a meal is $1.60, and I have peanut butter twice, that means I can have one meal that's $4.20, like a burger.

Another is to buy non-traditional protein sources that are healthy and go a long way, despite being a big investment up front. Bags of mixed, unsalted nuts are a standard for me. They're $7 at Wal-Mart, and provide the core protein for probably 25-30 meals. That's ~25 cents for a healthy protein. Another option is whey powder. It costs a little up front, but lasts forever. Once you do that, you can skip most of the meats, which saves a fortune and gives you some wiggle room on the other elements of the week's meals. Eggs are cheap and last forever, too (I just bought some at 18 for 98 cents), but I try to avoid having too many of them.

It is usually going to be cheaper to buy sacks of ingredients rather than pre-made combinations thereof. For instance, I'll buy a head of romaine, a head of leaf lettuce, and a bag of baby spinach, then chop and mix them for a week's worth of salads for far less than the pre-made mixed salad greens. I don't always follow this advice, though. As I've mentioned before, I really dislike cooking. I'm not going to invest an hour to eat something that's discount quality fuel, plus with four people preparing meals at the same time, there just isn't room in the kitchen for much cooking (again, one-size-fits-all meals don't work for us.) I try to limit prep time to five minutes and one pan max, and I can't even pull that off every day. Most of the time it's going to be non-cooked food or food that's been heated in the microwave.

And while it is often cheaper to make large amounts of things from scratch and store it, we are only able to shop once a week, as the only affordable grocery store in 30 miles from here. That means that we don't have storage space for jugs of soups, sauces, or leftovers. Something like 'make spaghetti sauce from scratch by the gallon and store it' just won't work.

I'm also picky about generics. If it is something where flavor or texture matter, I won't touch the store brand (again, I shop at Wal-mart, so that's Great Value.) Simple ingredients are usually of ok quality. Frozen vegetables? A box of salt? Sure. Pickles, yogurt, or cheese? No way. I've tried. Their store brand is awful. I even tried Great Value ice cream one time. I learned my lesson.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Just nitpicking, but I'm not sure where this guy is shopping that apples, peanut butter, and chicken breasts are budget-friendly ingredients these days. A big sack of red delicious, possibly. Natural peanut butter, no. Even the processed stuff is expensive. (Though calorically it's probably still a bargain.) Maybe bone-in breasts, but in my experience you're less likely to find those at a budget grocers. Thighs, sure. Mind you, that's just my experience around here... I haven't been shopping in the U.S. in about a decade. But if you want a frigging honeycrisp you'd better be prepared to pay in precious gems.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I bought boneless skinless chix breast for $1.69 a lb. yesterday. They weren't on the list but at that price I will freeze them for later.

Just before that I bought 5 honeycrisps (a quart) for $4. I don't think that is too expensive for a premium apple. And it was from a stand right at the orchard and they had just been picked that morning. I know not everyone has a farm stand and a chain grocery store 2 miles apart from each other though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thighs are about $8 for 6 here at the cheap store. Same place has boneless breasts for $12 for 6. I get them and freeze them. Last me at least 3 months.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmm black light art on the human canvas. NSFW probably though nothing is shown.

LINK

Examples...
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just had a great sandwich. The cheap food store sells packs of deli meats for $2.50. Big packs. I usually get the smoked turkey but I accidentally grabbed the oven roasted turkey last time. Its tough and has no flavor. So I shredded some pieces up and added a little salt and pepper and fried it all in some butter. Then tossed it on bread with mayo mustard and a slice of cheese. Wow that really turned it around. Only would have been better with a tomato slice.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I saw the verb "efforting" in the wild for the first time today, and I wasn't impressed. Apparently it's been around for more than a decade.

This aggression will not stand.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Somtimes I wonder whether Heaven's Gate used generic pudding cups in 1997, or found something nice. If I were shuffling off this mortal coil to hop on the flying saucer in Hale-Bopp's wake, I'd want my death-pudding to be something good.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am going through phases on my Youtube watching. I was on a vet binge, then somehow I started watching ear wax removals. Luetin09's Warhammer 40K lore... Now I'm on "Kennedy Steve" (ATC convos) and Code Bullet (foul-mouthed Aussie coder applying AI to all sorts of games, Q-learning, NEAT, etc.)

Can't get into GrimDark Narrator's Battletech Lore at all. His accent just makes me want to switch to a different channel.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:22 am Somtimes I wonder whether Heaven's Gate used generic pudding cups in 1997, or found something nice. If I were shuffling off this mortal coil to hop on the flying saucer in Hale-Bopp's wake, I'd want my death-pudding to be something good.
You are now one of my favorite posters.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:22 am Somtimes I wonder whether Heaven's Gate used generic pudding cups in 1997, or found something nice. If I were shuffling off this mortal coil to hop on the flying saucer in Hale-Bopp's wake, I'd want my death-pudding to be something good.
Come to the Peoples Temple. We have Butterscotch.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given that the Nikes were picked up in bulk because they were cheap, I doubt they're rolling deep in the pudding money.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:35 pm I am going through phases on my Youtube watching. I was on a vet binge,
A vet binge as in the Helpful Vancouver Vet? I love that guy's videos.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kraken wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:56 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:35 pm I am going through phases on my Youtube watching. I was on a vet binge,
Bondi Vet, Vet on a Hill, Vet Ranch... Jackson Galaxy, and that show about Victoria the dog trainer, "My Dog or " something. Oh, and SuperVet.

I'll have to look up that one.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Victoria the dog trainer
Oh yaaaaaaa
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:37 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:56 pm
Bondi Vet, Vet on a Hill, Vet Ranch... Jackson Galaxy, and that show about Victoria the dog trainer, "My Dog or " something. Oh, and SuperVet.

I'll have to look up that one.
I have a man crush on this guy. This one's a good intro to his personality. He has a lot of practical videos too.

Squish that cat!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:35 pm then somehow I started watching ear wax removals.
We're just going to let this go without comment? Should I be recording when I need to flush my earwax? Can I make money this way?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:47 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:35 pm then somehow I started watching ear wax removals.
We're just going to let this go without comment? Should I be recording when I need to flush my earwax? Can I make money this way?
Not unless you have pro-level equipment like Audiology Associates. :D
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I'm looking for an old thread in the the first poster describes a scenario, then the second poster draws that scenario in MS Paint, then the third poster describes the drawing (without reading the first post), then the fourth poster draws an MS Paint based on the third poster's description, and so on.
Anonymous Bosch

Hipolito wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:42 am I'm looking for an old thread in the the first poster describes a scenario, then the second poster draws that scenario in MS Paint, then the third poster describes the drawing (without reading the first post), then the fourth poster draws an MS Paint based on the third poster's description, and so on.
Sounds like the forum equivalent of the Telestrations party game AKA Eat Poop You Cat:

Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hipolito wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:42 am I'm looking for an old thread in the the first poster describes a scenario, then the second poster draws that scenario in MS Paint, then the third poster describes the drawing (without reading the first post), then the fourth poster draws an MS Paint based on the third poster's description, and so on.
If you start such a game I would play. But you would need to allow a poster to say "I will go next" so you don't have multiple people describing a picture or drawing a picture at the same time.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter