RIP Terry Jones

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

A nonny mouse

RIP Terry Jones

Post by A nonny mouse »

RIP Terry Jones

I always thought he was one of the best, most versatile of the Pythons. Cleese got too much credit.

No one could play a twit banker or old woman like him.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
McNutt

Re: RIP Terry Jones

Post by McNutt »

Did Cleese get too much credit? I never thought of the group as having "important" members as they were all so crucial to the unit's success.

Jones was a terribly funny man and I was sad to hear that dementia had done its work last year. RIP, Terry.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Cleese went on to do a lot more subsequent work so people recognize him more but classic Python is generally seen as a group effort.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

RIP :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

RIP. I spent a lot of my teen years taking in all the Monty Python I could. It probably had a lot to do in developing the sense of humor I have today. Probably why my wife says I only think I'm funny and she's not a Python fan... Life of Brian still my favorite of all the movies and Jones was great in it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

77 is a good long run and he left behind a lot of laughs...but dementia is such an awful way to go. RIP.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I saw Terry...jeez. 20 years ago now, at a screening of Holy Grail. He spent about half an hour after the screening, talking about the making of the Holy Grail. Genuinely funny man.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn. Jones was second favorite Python, after Palin.

RIP to a genuinely funny human. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ouch. Too many ouches lately. :cry:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

A sad day.

I grew up with a lot of Monty Python and loved the lot of them.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RIP ..Gave me a lot of laughs as a teen in the 80s.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Life of Brian is one of the funniest movies ever made. When those guys were on, they were amazing.

And Holy Grail had one of my favorite exchanges ever:

"Old woman!"

"Man."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Aside from all the comedy... He was a medieval historian, and my wife is as well - so I've been exposed to a number of his documentary work on the subject.

Really great stuff I would recommend trying to find. Specifically his "Crusades" documentary.

He told this great tale of (IIRC) some Franks that were charging an army of Turks. The Franks all used stallions as their mounts, for their 'aggressive' nature, but the Turks all used Mares. Well, this group of stallions simply -would not- charge this group of mares.... of course, he told the story wonderfully.

Bummer to lose him... And 77 is WAY too young, these days...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't seen Crusades (it is available online, although I'm not sure of the legality), but I've seen some of his other stuff, and it was all fantastic, managing to mix the history with his humor - and the occasional animated cutout.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:31 pm Life of Brian is one of the funniest movies ever made. When those guys were on, they were amazing.

And Holy Grail had one of my favorite exchanges ever:

"Old woman!"

"Man."
My favorite scene from Life of Brian:

"You're All Individuals!"

The guy who timidly says "I'm not" cracks me up, every time.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup. That's mine as well. :lol:

RIP to a truly great, iconic talent in the world of comedy. :(
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Bye Bye Bye Baby Boomer. As we all fade away. :(
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't worry, Generation X is right behind you.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I knew he suffered dementia, once that hits, the mourning might as well begin. I loved his versatility, while all his work showed a sense of humor, he didn't limit himself to pure comedy.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I became a Monty Python fan in high school, and I was in the middle of devouring everything they'd ever done at the same time I took my first overseas trip as an exchange student to Germany. The Germans loved Monty Python too, and my three weeks over there were spent listening to "Monty Python Sings" on nearly continuous loop.

One night we all went out to this club called The Jolly Joker, and at closing they blasted "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life." Standing in a huge crowd of drunk German kids singing that to the top of our lungs was one of the absolute best memories I have of high school.

You know those guys can't last forever, but it still hurts. We could all use that silliness again in our lives. RIP. And having lost a loved one to dementia, it really breaks my heart for his family. That's a tough thing to go through.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Life of Brian was the first Python movie I saw in the theater. Prior to that, we got into them via Sunday night reruns on PBS.

Years ago, I saw the original cast of Spam A Lot. Eric Idle was there to do an introduction. The evening was perfect, down to the "Holy Grail Ale" sold in the lobby (a very good beer I should add). I went with one of my minions who happened to be my dad's age.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:30 pm Don't worry, Generation X is right behind you.
*Throws on some Billy Idol*
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I discovered Python right about the same time that I discovered marijuana, which was a happy and eye-opening coincidence. Back in 1973 one could only watch broadcasts in real time and anything from the BBC was exotic. It must've been on the PBS station late at night, a snowy UHF picture IIRC.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:22 pm I discovered Python right about the same time that I discovered marijuana, which was a happy and eye-opening coincidence. Back in 1973 one could only watch broadcasts in real time and anything from the BBC was exotic. It must've been on the PBS station late at night, a snowy UHF picture IIRC.
IIRC, it was Monty Python, Ultraman (Power Rangers precursor) and Dr. Who, all on Sunday night. Occasionally we'd also watch Masterpiece Theater, such as when they put on I, Claudius.
Black Lives Matter
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

RIP Terry Jones, no better Karl Marx impression ever existed.

"Who won the cup final in 1949?!"

"Er, er, the workers control the means of production? The struggle of the urban proletariat?"

"No it was Wolverhampton Wanderers who beat Leicester 3-1."

"Shit."
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:24 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:22 pm I discovered Python right about the same time that I discovered marijuana, which was a happy and eye-opening coincidence. Back in 1973 one could only watch broadcasts in real time and anything from the BBC was exotic. It must've been on the PBS station late at night, a snowy UHF picture IIRC.
IIRC, it was Monty Python, Ultraman (Power Rangers precursor) and Dr. Who, all on Sunday night. Occasionally we'd also watch Masterpiece Theater, such as when they put on I, Claudius.
In Houston, it was Doctor Who at 9PM on Saturday evenings...with Monty Python around 11:30pm. My dad would walk into the living room, see Monty Python, and ask "What the hell are you watching?"
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Buatha wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 am
Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:24 pm
In Houston, it was Doctor Who at 9PM on Saturday evenings...with Monty Python around 11:30pm. My dad would walk into the living room, see Monty Python, and ask "What the hell are you watching?"
Just to correct myself...my newspaper told me that Python was first exported to the US in 1974, not 1973 as I had guessed. I just remembered being 16 years old. I used to watch it by myself on the TV in my parents' bedroom, away from their befuddled eyes.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Lagom Lite wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:14 am RIP Terry Jones, no better Karl Marx impression ever existed.
Ha! His Marx was great!

My first memory of Python was watching Flying Circus on PBS in the mid 70s. I was a small child, but the skit where they would blow up people's hiding spots had me rolling. It's one of my first TV memories.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That was a great skit. My best friend and I like to quote from the tree identification skit. "#1, the Larch". :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:54 pm That was a great skit. My best friend and I like to quote from the tree identification skit. "#1, the Larch". :D
#1, the Larch.

The. Larch.

The. Laaarch.

#23, the Spanish Inquisition.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

The BISHOP!
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Dull Life of a City Stockbroker was the first Python sketch that I remember seeing. Mostly because it was the first time I saw boobs on TV. But it's still a damn funny segment.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

How far we've come from Gone Gold. This thread would have taken the site down for a month.

Also:
Spoiler:
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:12 pmHow far we've come from Gone Gold. This thread would have taken the site down for a month.
Shhhh, do not awaken the Old Ones.

There are too many great Jones bits in Python for me to really pick a favorite, although you guys have listed a lot of really good ones.

RIP Terry.

He's not the messiah. He's a very naughty boy.

Conform or be cast out!
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I had forgotten he'd written the screenplay for Labyrinth. So many good memories.

RIP.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Still two of my favorites, even if I've seen them a hundred times.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.