THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Books Read in 2005 (Keep It Updated)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Let's see, read a TON of books last month.

William C Dietz's Death Day (read it last year) and just finished Earthrise this year, finaly went ahead and bought the sequel. The book basically is a two-parter dealing with how will Earth handle an alien invasion... Basically ID4 had they succeeded... Except that the aliens will be vunlerable in a few months...

Was kinda re-reading some older books, like Richard Herman's "Force of Eagles". I have most of his books and he's pretty good with his Air Force characters.

Another book read was Dale Brown's "Plan of Attack". Seems I missed one of his books and I missed a major development somewhere... :D But this one is good... What if the Russians did a BIG pre-emptive strike on the US using only bombers and cruise missiles?

An older book re-read was Ben Bova's Kinsman Saga, about this Quaker Chet Kinsman, who joined the Air Force despite his father's wishes, who refused to be a killer, and eventually went to space, founded a lunar colony... and engineered a revolution...

Another recent purchase was "Scope of Justice", about two special forces guys inserted into Afghanistan to take out the number 3 guy in Al-Qaeda. It's kinda fun read.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
CSL

Post by CSL »

Finished Antony Beevors, The Fall of Berlin 1945 today. Great read.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

finished: Ernest Hemingway _A Farewell To Arms_

the story was intriguing and paced well-enough that i had to finish, but the female characters in this book were SOOOOO annoying that i wished they would get hit from stray bullets or friendly fire or something. the ending was kinda retarded as well, and Hemingway's writing style occasionally annoyed me. don't really recommend this one...

EDIT: also finished Bram Stoker's _Lair of the White Worm_ earlier this year - that was a bizarrely-written little story. apparently Bram was doped to the gills on laudenum when doing this book (and would die not too long afterwards), and it shows. also notable for some of the most overt racism i've seen in a novel in i-dont-remember-how-long. pretty horrendous overall, but worth reading for nothing else than the plentiful supply of 'wtf' moments.
Atheist

Post by Atheist »

I don't have as much time to read as I'd like to (being a senior dental student can really take its toll on your sanity/mind/etc.).

But let's see:

1984 - George Orwell. I LOVED this book.

All the Harry Potter books. I had about a week period of no school so I went to visit my family and (current) ex back in Toronto and spent most of the day-time reading these books (while all my friends/family/etc. were working).

The Bourne Identity - WOW. What a book. Soooooo much better than the movie. Although that really doesn't explain much. The book is completely different than the movie. The only real thing in common is the character's names. I'd recommend everybody who enjoyed the movie to go read the book. GO GO GOOO!

I started Bourne Supremacy but couldn't finish it because I've been swamped... now every time I try to pick it up, I realize that I forgot completely what happened in the beginning.. so I've got to start the damn thing again.

Aside from that, I hate to say that I haven't really started anything else.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

today i started and finished I Was a Teenage Fairy by Francesca Lia Block. i really do like all her books (and i think anyone who likes Neil Gaiman's works would too) - even though they're intended for a teen 'reluctant reader' audience and they're always set in Los-Angeles-with-fantastical-elements, her writing is always vivid and colorful.

this one is about a girl who wants something more real and creative out of life, but is shuttled from model shoot to model shoot by her living-vicariously mother, who wants her daughter to be just like her (younger) glory days. and one night the daughter is visited by the faery queen Mab, who was living in their backyard...
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

It took me three weeks to read Guns, Germs and Steel. That's a pretty dry book, but still interesting. I just found a first edition hardcover of The Silmarillion (Tolkien) in the attic yesterday. I bet this takes me longer to read through than GGS as I can't read more than a few pages without having to put it down and try to remember everything I just read (on page 31 right now).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Finished

The Dark Matter Trilogy by Philip Pullman
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
Children of God by Mary Doria Russell
How to Be Good by Nick Hornby
The Handsmaid Tale by Margaret Atwood

Now Reading

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan
MHS

Post by MHS »

There's a poll in the Meta-Forum as to whether this thread should be stickied or not if you'd care to voice your opinion about it there.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Finished

The Botomless Well by Peter W. Huber and Mark P. Mills
Natural Born Cyborgs by Andy Clark
"Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Feynman and others

Now Reading
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon last night (fantastic book, btw), and started David Gemmel's Legend
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Skinypupy wrote:Finished Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon last night (fantastic book, btw), and started David Gemmel's Legend
Oooh, make sure to let us know what you think of Legend. I just bought it, but it'll be a while before I get around to reading it.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Well I just finished Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. It's a great book, and it introduces what is sure to be a bunch of recurring characters.

Next up: American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Just finished R.A. Salvatore's The War of the Spider Queen: Book V: Annihilation by Philip Athans. Can't wait for the final book! If you enjoy AD&D, Salvatore's works, or fantasy books in general I think this series would be a great addition to your queue.

I have decided to start Demons and Angels by Dan Brown tonight.

On deck: Salvatore's Spearwielder Trilogy.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Finished Dunkirk: The British Evactuation 1940 by Robert Jackson last night.

Relatively short by all accounts, less then 200 pages. I had an issue about him including so many first hand accounts, but while it detracts in places, they also added a little to the book.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Mark Helprin "A Winter's Tale"
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Neil Peart's "Ghost Rider:Travels on the Healing Road"
He is the drummer for the group Rush and also writes the lyrics.
He recently went through some major tragedies in his life and this book chronicles his trying to come to terms with them.
The man has a way with words and the book is both heartbreaking
and inspiring.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Lucky Wander Boy – D.B. Weiss – My thoughts are a bit different from hitbyambulance’s. When I first started reading this I thought his journal entries made him sound like a pompous ass with all of his theories on what the games really represented. That was when I still thought of the book as some kind of history/fiction novel. By the time the character gets a job back in the States I realized his journal entries were his way of explaining what was going on in his life and in his head. It wasn’t a case of him picking a game and doing a review on it but a case of him finding a game to use as a metaphor for his life. That along with the novel like parts that ambulance thought were cliché is what finally drew me into the book. There came a point in the book though where the character just crossed the line and I lost feeling for him, I really didn’t care for him at all. For those who have read it or will read it think gluing the Atari 2600 control to the floor and everything else he does at that point of the novel. At this point I started to be reminded of Bret Easton Ellis’ Less Than Zero novel, I’m not sure why but I was and this one just didn’t measure up. IMO shortly after this midpoint of the novel it enters a downhill spiral and I found myself reading it hoping he could turn it around or maybe I was just reading it to get it over with and start my next book. I thought the way he ended the book was clever and it fit the way he used classic video games as metaphors but I was pretty unattached and I think he played at least one too many quarters.

The rest of my list here.
SkyLander

Post by SkyLander »

Updated my post. Going to put up what I'm reading in a bit...damn my procrastination.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Just finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon. I was dubious, despite the fact that it was recommended to me by a friend whose reading tastes overlap heavily with mine, but I really enjoyed it.

The story is narrated by the protagonist, a fifteen year old with autism, who finds a neighbor's dog dead, killed with a garden fork. He is (briefly) accused of killing the dog and sets out to find out who the real culprit is. In case you haven't read it, I won't tell more of the plot. I really enjoyed this book and found it hard to put down.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Simon

Post by Simon »

Bad Demographic wrote:Just finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.
When that comes out in paperback I plan on picking it up. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Finished:
The Prison by R. Patrick Gates
The Revelation by Bentley Little
The Devil in Gray by Graham Masterton
The Alienist by Caleb Carr

Started:
Black Cross by Greg Iles
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

Finished in the last couple weeks:

State of Fear (Tom Clancy): I really enjoyed it, however I didnt think that the actual story was up to par wtih the rest of his books. The ending left to many characters unresolved in my opinion. But still highly enjoyed it.

1984 (George Orwell): Had to reread it for school, have always enjoyed negative-utopia books despite the fact that they are oppressively depressing. A great piece of writing, and on the second reading you catch many more details (and subtle forshadowing) that were missed the first time through. A classic that everyone should read. The principles of doublethink should be clearly examined by anyone (and I found the "political" part of the book, ie Goldstiens' book) were very well written and cohesive no matter your personal political views.

Trying to think of what else I have read this year... Cant think of them off the top of my head. Have to come back in the morning when Im not so tired.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Simon wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:Just finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.
When that comes out in paperback I plan on picking it up. I've heard nothing but great things about it.
It's out in paperback. I bought it in that format last year.

Oddly enough, I picked this book to do a "book talk" on as part of my Education of the Exceptional Child (read: Special Ed) class I'm in and will be giving that talk tomorrow morning.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Tscott wrote:
Simon wrote:
A smaller, cheaper paperback. ;) Last time I looked in B&N it was still pretty expensive. I should see if I can find it in one of our local used book stores.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Simon wrote:
Tscott wrote:
Simon wrote:
A smaller, cheaper paperback. ;) Last time I looked in B&N it was still pretty expensive. I should see if I can find it in one of our local used book stores.
Amazon has used copies "from" $5.99. I gotta admit though, I'd prefer to buy a used book from a brick and mortar store - if only so I can flip through it and see what kind of shape it's in.
If it weren't for the fact that the copy I read was lent to me, I'd send it to you, Simon.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I finished a series of books recently.

Four novels by Simon Scarrow about the life of a Roman legionary involved in the invasion and conquest of Britain:

Under The Eagle
The Eagle's Conquest
When The Eagle Hunts
The Eagle and the Wolves

They were all quick reads, with good pacing, plenty of combat and heroic deeds, light characterization. "A rip-roaring page turner" one reviewer blurb put it and I agree. Not heavy-weight, philosphical portentous stuff but I enjoyed them as much or more than most of the ancient historical fiction I read.

Other novels just finished :

The Polish Officer by Alan Furst Great atmospheric spy novel set in the early years of WW2.

Kingdom of Shadows by Alan Furst Another elegant and atmospheric spy tale set in pre-war Europe.

Nonfiction:

Collapse: How Societies Choose To Fail Or Succeed by Jared Diamond
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
CSL

Post by CSL »

Finished John Keegans "The Second World War" last night.

Next up....Antony Beevors "Stalingrad"

CSL

Post by CSL »

Yet another completed book, this time its Stalingrad by Antony Beevor.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

lokiju wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Finished Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon last night (fantastic book, btw), and started David Gemmel's Legend
Oooh, make sure to let us know what you think of Legend. I just bought it, but it'll be a while before I get around to reading it.
Finally got around to finishing Legend last night, and it was pretty good. There are some absolutely fantastic characters (Druss is a bad ass mofo) and Gemmel does a good job of creating the world. However, it was a bit slow in parts, and certainly could have used more explanation for certain things (i.e. Boy meets girl and they absolutely hate each other. A chapter later, they are madly in love, with no real explanation as to what changed.) The ending, while entertaining, was pretty sappy and way too 'feel good' for me. I'd recommend it for a fun read, but it's nothing that will really make you say "wow".

Now it's off to read through Martin's Song of Fire & Ice for the third time.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Finished:
The Prison by R. Patrick Gates
The Revelation by Bentley Little
The Devil in Gray by Graham Masterton
The Alienist by Caleb Carr
Black Cross by Greg Iles

Started:
Once... by James Herbert
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote:Never caught up once GG became obsolete.

Now Reading:
The Runes of the Earth - Stephen R. Donaldson

Finished:
Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clark
A Hole in Space - Larry Niven
Convergent Series - Larry Niven
From a Buick 8 - Stephen King

to be completed
Alexander Hamilton - Cherny
Bumpage, since I updated :lol:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Collapse by Jared Diamond....

Starting "Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VII"

theohall

Post by theohall »

JonathanStrange wrote:I finished a series of books recently.

Four novels by Simon Scarrow about the life of a Roman legionary involved in the invasion and conquest of Britain:

Under The Eagle
The Eagle's Conquest
When The Eagle Hunts
The Eagle and the Wolves

They were all quick reads, with good pacing, plenty of combat and heroic deeds, light characterization. "A rip-roaring page turner" one reviewer blurb put it and I agree. Not heavy-weight, philosphical portentous stuff but I enjoyed them as much or more than most of the ancient historical fiction I read.
If that's the case, I'll probaby have to check those out. I'd highly recommend Cornwell's Sharpe Series and Grail Quest series since they are both written in a similar style based on your description.
moss_icon

Post by moss_icon »

recently finished this. auster is just insanely readable. i don't think it was in the same class as the other book i have read of his (leviathan - though not much measures up to that), but it was mighty fine.

now i am reading this:

and its top notch. it appears to be pretty rare for some reason, which is a shame. its written by an icelandic author, and it is about mental illness. i'd recommend the latest issue of mcsweeney's for a good sample of icelandic writing. certainly introduced me to some interesting authors.
moth moth moth brown moth
CSL

Post by CSL »

Finished another book -

The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Almost done Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford.

After that I have four books.....

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman
Castles of Steel by Robert K. Massie
Mud, Blood and Poppycock by Gordon Corrigan

All told I spent like $75 on books today.

In addition i've also got a large hardcover on the Wives of King Henry VIII to finish. (Like 100 pages in)
moss_icon

Post by moss_icon »

first book i have read of Vonnegut's. it made me want to read more of his stuff. rather ace, and just plain ole readable. just how i like it.
moth moth moth brown moth
CSL

Post by CSL »

Finished another! Three in one week!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Forgot to add, Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior, and Chris Whitcomb's Cold Zero.

Rogue Warrior is Marcinko's autobiography. He's the guy who started SEAL Team Six for the US Navy from scratch, and he has lived adventures that most men only dream about.

Chris Whitcomb is one of the elite snipers in FBI's Hostage Rescue Team (HRT) and he was at Ruby Ridge and Waco when both went down, for those of you who know a bit of US modern history. He has perspective to share on the process of joining FBI, HRT, and his adventures since.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
McCrank

Post by McCrank »

Finished:

The Rum Diary - Hunter S. Thompson
Serpent Mage - Margaret Weis

Currently Reading:

Hand of Chaos - Margaret Weis
CSL

Post by CSL »

Finished Sharpe's Havoc today, started on Sharpe's Prey and Napoleon in Russia
CSL

Post by CSL »

Finished Sharpe's Prey. Still chugging along on Napoleon in Russia and will soon resume my reading of Castles of Steel.