[PC] Green Hell

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: [PC] Green Hell

Post by hepcat »

I wish I could save right before a snake bites me. Then I could just reload and relive that moment over and over and over and over....
He won. Period.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ah, dammit, I had to quit part way through the tutorial and when I started the game again it wants me to go through the whole thing again :cry:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:32 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 pm Well, day 2 and I’m dying of thirst. I can’t help but wonder if whatever is in the bushes across that log bridge might have a diet sprite.
I haven't figured out what malchior has. I mean, I know what I need to do in real world terms, but I'm unable to get what I need in the game (so far) in order to make that happen.
For the curious -
Spoiler:
red cap mushrooms kill parasites - they are pretty prevalent on logs near start.
That being said, I guess I lucked out day one in finding something to address short term water access. To be clear, it was like day one reloaded like 4 or 5 times. I can give you a hint if you'd like, but I was quite pleased with myself when I stumbled across the solution.
If it is what I think it is, I only found my first on Day 3.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:54 pm Ah, dammit, I had to quit part way through the tutorial and when I started the game again it wants me to go through the whole thing again :cry:
Done with tutorial, now going into Story mode (right?)
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's what I did, yes. It wanted me to do the tutorial again but you can skip it and just get started. After I saw that, I figured people complained that you couldn't save during the original opening of the game for like 45+ minutes so they must have carved out that tutorial first and then allowed you to jump right into the game (but still started with it for those that wanted to).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:28 am That's what I did, yes. It wanted me to do the tutorial again but you can skip it and just get started. After I saw that, I figured people complained that you couldn't save during the original opening of the game for like 45+ minutes so they must have carved out that tutorial first and then allowed you to jump right into the game (but still started with it for those that wanted to).
Back in my day you did the separate tutorial and then you started the story and did the tutorial again and you liked it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

FYI if you really hate yourself it supports vr. I never tried it as I would imagine my soul would instantly die.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Check that they will be releasing a vr update soon. The Forest which is a similar game is in vr and horrifying
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Saw my first snake tonight. The son of a bitch just sat there, coiled up...mocking me. It knows damn well I won’t come within 100 feet of it.

Also, I found an armadillo. I wanted to throw it at the snake, but I fear they’ll team up and take me out while I’m sleeping if I miss.
Spoiler:
Still can’t find a damn coconut. My guess is the snake (I call him Chuck) collected them all while I slept and they’re all sitting in a pile behind him. Chuck, you devious bastard, you are the Moriarty to my...Curly Howard
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Octavious wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:34 pm Check that they will be releasing a vr update soon. The Forest which is a similar game is in vr and horrifying
The Forest is on sale for $8 on Steam right now.
I bought it and am firing it up tonight. But not in vr.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apparently I already own The Forest. Looks like I need to give it a shot since that bastard Chuck won’t budge.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:59 pm For the curious -
Spoiler:
red cap mushrooms kill parasites - they are pretty prevalent on logs near start.
Huh. That's not at all what I thought you were doing to get clean water. I figured you somehow created:
Spoiler:
A water purifier. I have charcoal and I figure I need to make something with sticks and leaves to make a drip distiller.
However for me I'm currently using:
Spoiler:
coconut bowls to collect rain water.
If I can find another one, I can make something more official (it appeared in my notebook after I found it).

I did do some crazy exploring tonight. I used rocks to keep my bearings. The first foray went well. Found lots of new stuff.

The second expedition...did not end well. Big cat cut me up good. I hit him hard enough to run, but I managed to take a few steps and then just died - bleeding from every limb. Would not recommend.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is really dumb. How do I pick a plant? I get no indications on how to do it. And the plant is the tobacco one, so I know about it. I saw myself do this in the tutorial, but I don't remember how :roll:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When I harvested one yesterday (chopping it with ax) it just magically appeared in my backpack. I don't know if I hit a key or what, but I was confused too. The other plants (and sticks) I've had to use the E key to pickup or process on the spot.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If I kill Chuck, will he respawn?

It would be nice if the game allowed me to clear a space.

edit:

never mind, I found the answer.
Spoiler:
From the comments on Steam:
Almost everything in this game spawns at the same predetermine spot. If it's randomized, it'll be a pain to look for stuff since you always have to hunt around every time you want to look for things.

Sounds like you could just set traps on spawn points.

I'm going to spend the rest of my game time torturing Chuck....
side note: I'm fascinated by the fact that I'm so strong in this game that I can tear apart rocks with my bare hands to make smaller rocks.

update:
Spoiler:
I ate Chuck! I didn't realize you could just hurl two rocks at his head and he'd die! Then I used a stone blade to make Chuck pie.
He won. Period.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I made a bow trap. I made sure it worked by accidentally triggering it and killing myself :roll:

A couple of questions... I keep running out of tinder to start fires. I know to chop down trees with dead leaves, but that's not really very efficient. And I don't seem to be stumbling over dry leaves on the ground anymore. Any suggestions?

And I'm wondering about the notebook. I can understand that for crafting I should just keep putting different things on the crafting table till something works, but what about other items? Do they just show up in the notebook at some time? Or do I have to advance the story or cross some invisible line or something?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For me, crafting recipes seem to trigger whenever I stumble across the ingredients on my travels. I imagine there’s some materials we won’t encounter until later in the story.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow, things went sideways fast. I was harvesting an armadillo (as one does) when I was ambushed by a jungle cat. I managed to fight it off this time, but it still cut me up. However, this time I stopped the bleeding but somehow instantly got infected (dirty cat). Weakened I tried to stumble home but ended up passing out. I knew already that would be a problem - you never want to sleep on the bare ground. When I woke up I had more problems but saw a plant I'd never harvested before. I quickly cut some, ate it, and then immediately was hit with vomiting.

Everything was terrific and then I got hit with like 4 different conditions at once. Oddly enough, I survived, but went insane. Would not recommend.

My current crisis is obtaining fats, which sounds weird to say. All my micro-nutrients are at like 80%+, but I'm going to die because I'm not getting enough fats. I know how to get some, but I just can't find any. This game is like whack-a-mole, always looking for something.
malchior

Post by malchior »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:04 amA couple of questions... I keep running out of tinder to start fires. I know to chop down trees with dead leaves, but that's not really very efficient. And I don't seem to be stumbling over dry leaves on the ground anymore. Any suggestions?
I constantly fed my fires. I probably have needed to start them 4 or 5 times so tinder isn't an issue for me.
And I'm wondering about the notebook. I can understand that for crafting I should just keep putting different things on the crafting table till something works, but what about other items? Do they just show up in the notebook at some time? Or do I have to advance the story or cross some invisible line or something?
There are ... triggering events. I'll say if you see something new to you look at it closely though.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:25 pmMy current crisis is obtaining fats, which sounds weird to say. All my micro-nutrients are at like 80%+, but I'm going to die because I'm not getting enough fats. I know how to get some, but I just can't find any. This game is like whack-a-mole, always looking for something.
The trees that drop nuts are...super inconsistent. I ended up growing some to have some control over it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Small update today:
Spoiler:
Rework of Planks mechanics. Now they are stored in firetools’ tab
Rework of Inspection controls
‘Firetools’ tab in Backpack can now store 4 items instead of 2
Different gamepad controls for fighting, Fishing, Bow shooting and Stone throwing
Option for toggle the Wheel Menu
Balancing the Sanity effects, infologs lasting, range of attacks and damage received when playing using gamepad
Some options from Expand Menu are now in quick select
‘Read all’ button for Notebook entries
Blocking some inputs when using Backpack
Button change for deleting saves
Bleeding icon
Indicator for taking off leeches
More visible highlights in menus and Backpack
Better Notebook UI
Better changing visibility options in Pause Menu
Better UI for Crafting
New fist icon
New UI hints
New quick use buttons for crafting and insert
New tooltips for controls
New controller buttons icons
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

And.....on sale at Steam.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apparently it's going to be a board game now. I don't really see why (or how), but yeah. Here we are.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:01 pm Apparently it's going to be a board game now. I don't really see why (or how), but yeah. Here we are.
The world and experience aren't really all that different from Robinson Crusoe. Same people that created the Phantom Doctrine board game kickstarter which garnered very close to zero interest so don't get too excited.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

stimpy wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:42 pm And.....on sale at Steam.......
There was a weekend 50% off sale on Steam which has about 22 hours to go. Also there is a sale via Green Man Gaming which shows 60% off for me, plus apparently there is a voucher JAN18 which you can use. How this works out for you I don't know as I'm a Gold member so my discount might be higher.

I'd love to try to get back into this game. I last played almost three years ago but it didn't click with me then. Maybe I'll trying again now...