[Mobile] Anima ARPG

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

rittchard

[Mobile] Anima ARPG

Post by rittchard »

This little gem has been out a while now, but I hesitated to recommend it back when it released as it seemed a little shy on content. They've put some considerable work into patching the game and it now has seasonal content and a lot of extra stuff I don't recall seeing before.

At first glance it feels like a ripoff/nostalgia run at the original Diablo. One town with a single dungeon entrance and you just keep following the levels. While that's the basic concept, they take ideas from D2 and D3 as well for more content. While it can get repetitive, and there aren't as many nuanced builds and skill selections, it really satisfies the basic loot and level concept in a really nice way. For small/short mobile gameplay, this is in many ways better. Just to be clear, this does not feel like the gazillion other mobile ARPGs, though it does share some passing similarity of course. Pretty much every one I've tried has failed to capture the essence of the original Diablo games, whereas this one I think does a very good job of it. In fact I think it's the only non-port that I'd say has done it well, apparently with a small 3-man team.

It's free to play, but you can buy pets and equipment slots. I'd say these devs deserve at least $5-10 from anyone who enjoys the game. The level cap I think is something like 1000 or 1500, and they have different modes of play, seasonal ladders, etc.

It's not as flashy or sexy as other modern ARPGs, but I'm really impressed with what they've done in this space.
infinitelurker

Re: [Mobile] Anima ARPG

Post by infinitelurker »

Thanks for this - I just tried this out on my iPhone but have moved to playing it on my iPad. I've only had about an hour or so with it, but I did instantly feel the similar 'pull' to keep playing and looking for better loot. That's a good sign!

I have to figure out if there is a way to side-by-side compare newly found items against equipped slots.

Edit: now with a bit more time spent, it looks like I was just missing the item comparison at the bottom of any item detail dialog. It shows you the +/- comparison of physical vs magic
-something witty-
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Curse you for addicting me to this. It’s like an advanced Diablo I - so much so that I wonder if Blizzard developers keep wondering where their cut is. Look and feel, including fonts and graphics and music all echo Diablo very well. I’m playing a Thorns build and it is a real blast.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Malificent wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:49 pm Curse you for addicting me to this. It’s like an advanced Diablo I - so much so that I wonder if Blizzard developers keep wondering where their cut is. Look and feel, including fonts and graphics and music all echo Diablo very well. I’m playing a Thorns build and it is a real blast.
Heeheehee, glad you like it. It's pretty amazing to me what they did with just 3 people. I'm still a bit confused at what the "expected" play sequence is. After finishing the main dungeon the first time (R1) you can restart in "R2" and so on, or play the big map. But the big map jumps levels per map like 10 at a time. So I guess they want you to keep doing the reincarnations? Also you will start to get key drops that let you do single high level dungeons and kill a bad guy - basically a rift from Diablo 3. So now Ive got tons of these too. I like all the choices but I'm not sure what the most efficient way of going about it is.

For better or worse, the game does make you figure stuff out on your own. Like I still don't know what infusing is for. Kind of adds to the old school feel, it's not always clear what something is for or what a skill is going to do, etc. There are respecs (I think one per reincarnation) so that's nice.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I just saw on Reddit that apparently this is coming to PC and Steam next month?!

-something witty-
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

"hunderd"?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.