Outriders - Sci-Fi RPG/Shooter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Outriders - Sci-Fi RPG/Shooter

Post by Grifman »

This looks interesting and there is a very full fledged demo coming out tomorrow:

I think I'm going to check this out.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Re: Outriders - Sci-Fi RPG/Shooter

Post by Daehawk »

Looks pretty but not for me . No longer have friends to play coop with. Would make a neat single player rpg one day perhaps.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:49 am Looks pretty but not for me . No longer have friends to play coop with. Would make a neat single player rpg one day perhaps.
You can totally play this game SP, and if you want to team up for a game, there are plenty of OO'ers always looking for gaming partners. There's a whole thread here on that. I plan to play this SP, maybe with some co-op thrown in, if reviews are any good.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This seems like it could be right up my alley, but I was completely unaware of it until now. I'll be grabbing the demo when it releases later today.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Demo out at noon EST today.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I knew nothing about this game but I'll have to check it out. The cross-platform play makes it especially attractive, since I have some friends on PCs that play these sorts of games (I would be on the PS5).
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I played a bit of the intro, seems to be a fairly competent looter/shooter, reminds me a lot of The Division, story is interesting so far. Got to go do some walking now, will come back later and play further and report back.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Too early to tell. The servers were not too happy over lunch but I got through the intro (having to repeat the first 10 minutes or so after losing connection, yay always online games), picked my class (Pyromancer), picked up a little loot and made a little progress after that.

I agree that it feels familiar as a Division 1/2 player. The offensive powers healing you is an interesting idea. Each class has a different way they heal, but always through mayhem.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I'd have to say at this moment that the game is not for me. I'm not good at boss fights and I can't get past the one with the "Captain". Tried a dozen times, trying different things, but it's always something that gets me in the end. Having no healing except for dealing damage is just killing me. This is too much of a twitch game for me, between trying to avoid his power, the adds, trying to use my powers, trying to find cover. I'm certain many people will like this but I dont' like boss fights in constricted arenas. I may try again tomorrow but right now, pretty frustrated. When it gets to be frustrating it's no fun. Hope others enjoy it more
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Downloaded the demo. Fails at launch wit ha getuserdefaultgeoname error. Some kind of region detection thing I think. oh well..delete.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:13 pm I'd have to say at this moment that the game is not for me. I'm not good at boss fights and I can't get past the one with the "Captain". Tried a dozen times, trying different things, but it's always something that gets me in the end. Having no healing except for dealing damage is just killing me. This is too much of a twitch game for me, between trying to avoid his power, the adds, trying to use my powers, trying to find cover. I'm certain many people will like this but I dont' like boss fights in constricted arenas. I may try again tomorrow but right now, pretty frustrated. When it gets to be frustrating it's no fun. Hope others enjoy it more
Trying lowering the world level. I had some issues with world tier 4 until I got better gear. I dropped it back to 3 until then. After a bit 4 was fine. The captain that sends fire tornadoes after you is NOT pleasant.

My older son and I finished the demo content in a couple of hours including all of the side missions that we found, level 7, world tier 5 and decent gear. I'll probably be buying a couple copies of this. I had a lot of fun with the Pyro and want to check the other classes out. I may try another in the demo.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finished a run-through with each class, and once I got past my Division muscle memory (i.e. stopped using the right key presses for the wrong game to do simple things like activate skills or switch weapons) I had a great time. I liked all the classes, although I found the Trickster to be the most fun. It might also be the most effective, but that could just be that it was the last one I tried so I was more comfortable with the game mechanics by then. I wasn't sure if I'd like the frenetic pace of combat, but by the end of the last run I was able to hold my own reliably at the maximum available world tier for anything but the Captain side mission and the Altered story mission. Those ones I generally still need to drop down a notch or two in order to beat them.

I expect I'll be picking this up if it releases on schedule. It'll give me something to dig into while waiting those last few weeks until Mass Effect LE drops.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah I want it, my only problem is my son that I play these games with will be deep in Monster Hunter: Rise on Switch so he likely won't want to spend time on this.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I'm going to be playing this at launch on Xbox
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Spent a couple hours this afternoon. I was hoping for something more like Destiny (which isn't really in my wheelhouse, but I've had some fun with it), but it felt more like Gears of War. Cover shooters don't really interest me much, so I think I'll skip it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

There is cover, but it very much is not a cover shooter. I can see how it would still feel a bit similar to Gears though. If you stay in cover more than a second you are probably doing it very wrong. Possible exception of the Technomancer though. Not every game will be for everyone, just saying that if you skip it because you don't like cover shooters that is likely wrong. If you skip it because you don't like it, fair enough. Most people I've seen do play it like a cover shooter but the game really opens up once you have your three powers and realize that mobility and healing off kills/damage is the key and not cover.

The cover is used mostly by the enemies
naednek

Post by naednek »

Harkonis wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:27 am There is cover, but it very much is not a cover shooter. I can see how it would still feel a bit similar to Gears though. If you stay in cover more than a second you are probably doing it very wrong. Possible exception of the Technomancer though. Not every game will be for everyone, just saying that if you skip it because you don't like cover shooters that is likely wrong. If you skip it because you don't like it, fair enough. Most people I've seen do play it like a cover shooter but the game really opens up once you have your three powers and realize that mobility and healing off kills/damage is the key and not cover.

The cover is used mostly by the enemies
That and the game tells you at one point to always keep moving.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Coming to Xbox Gamepass for console on release day. Doesn't say anything about PC.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/15/ ... game-pass/
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:11 am Coming to Xbox Gamepass for console on release day. Doesn't say anything about PC.
The fact that it says Console and Android and doesn't mention PC basically does say something about it. :(
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Jag wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:11 am Coming to Xbox Gamepass for console on release day. Doesn't say anything about PC.
Well that certainly makes it an easier decision for me.
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

I played a lot of the demo, basically leveling each class to max (level 7). I enjoyed the game play. The three of the 4 classes worked out well and the last has a good chance to work out well in the full game once you get all your abilities. There were a few nitpicking things : repetitive load scenes picking up some quests, Some zone transitions have a load short scene that repeats every time you transition, and legendary loot has an absurdly low drop rate. The drop rate may increase in the full game so that may not be an issue. The way they did difficulty is the more you kill without dying raises your "world tier" This increases mob health and i think damage and item rarity chance. Scales from1 to 15. Demo was locked at Tier 7 max. So it may be possible that the last tier at 300% rarity may help things, however 300% of almost nothing is still nothing. If the difficulty gets too high you can lower your difficulty rating ( think torment level in diablo III).
Streamers are sometime dropping only 1 or none a day, and they play nonstop Captian farming. One of the more prolific ones streaming and he has been streaming most days i have looked at Twitch only has 70ish and he seems to have been playing for most of the demo. I have also had a couple crashes, but one is located at a specific location, and i found a way to work around it. It may be fixed in the full game.

Now with the bad part out of the way the actual game play in most cases is pretty good. The classes play differently, and the looter shooter part is pretty fun. While legendries are extremely rare, blue equipment (3rd level item rarity out of 5) falls at a decent clip and is useful. Blue weapons has an augment on it that can change the way a weapon works, explosions, healing, shielding, life leech, armor pen, weapon reload effect,... Blue armor comes with skill modifiers extended durations, multiple activations, more damage, debuff affects. Legendries come with 2 mods and purples come with one or two mods, not entirely sure since they were removed from the demo and i never got one. The mods have a 3 level tier list, with legendries dropping with fixed tier 3 mods.
What makes the weapon and armor system interesting though is the full game is supposed to have crafting. Currently in the demo you can break down items and make a bank of mods. Once you learn a mod you can then in the full game apply those mods to other items. So if a blue with good weapon damage, but a poor mod drops, you should be able to replace the bad mod with a good mod you have already learned. I haven't been able to test crafting yet since it is not in the demo.

It is also cross play, so PC, and console players can play in the same game, though i didn't test that much since there was a bug causing inventory loss occasionally with multiplay. Supposedly they have found the issue and fixed it. I did find the multi play kind of awkward though. They have no method of communication with other people. No voice or text chat in game. This make organizing or deciding were the party is moving difficult. If you are playing with people you know and have something like discord it shouldn't be an issue, with random people it was irritating.

I played on PC and didn't have many issues. Game ran smooth, and while some of the interaction was console-ish, the UI wasn't really that bothersome. A few items are buried in obscure menus, but once you find out how to access it it isn't a problem.

The end game i am a little concerned about. The demo was only the prologue, and the prologue did have an endgame boss. However people have been farming the demo at the captians ( think mini boss/lieutenant level). Basically loading in charging and nuking the captain and then dying to respawn the zone, over and over and over again. If that is end game i am not interested. However the devs have stated that end game in the full game are zones with bosses. The highest/hardest zone is supposed to require min/max.
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:59 pm Spent a couple hours this afternoon. I was hoping for something more like Destiny (which isn't really in my wheelhouse, but I've had some fun with it), but it felt more like Gears of War. Cover shooters don't really interest me much, so I think I'll skip it.
While there is cover in the game that can me used, some of the classes don't use it much. When I was playing I used it break line of sight to some enemies while I engaged others. The Devastator and Trickster tend to be close up and personal classes and I mainly used the terrain/ cover to separate packs.
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Grifman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:13 pm I'd have to say at this moment that the game is not for me. I'm not good at boss fights and I can't get past the one with the "Captain". Tried a dozen times, trying different things, but it's always something that gets me in the end. Having no healing except for dealing damage is just killing me. This is too much of a twitch game for me, between trying to avoid his power, the adds, trying to use my powers, trying to find cover. I'm certain many people will like this but I dont' like boss fights in constricted arenas. I may try again tomorrow but right now, pretty frustrated. When it gets to be frustrating it's no fun. Hope others enjoy it more
I had that issue on I think two classes. I found the way past was skip the captain, and go to a different zone to level and get better gear. With better gear in most cases you just blow Captains away.
I do think they throw the first captain at you too quickly though, they should have his encounter further back. The second captain you encounter is further along in the demo and you have better gear and skills and levels by then and can stand a much better chance.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Started a new character (Devastator[tank]) at lunch, got to 5th level world tier 3, killed the first side quest captain. Still not sure if I want to go tank or Pyro. My son is die hard technomancer which makes Pyro kind of redundant, but it's also a lot of fun! The in your face chaos of the devastator is pretty exciting too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

who all's playing this on the xBox with GamePass?

I'm planning on giving it a shot tonight after work (around 5pm pst, if all goes well) - Pyperkub on xBox
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't do shooters on console, but Outriders is supposed to support cross-play.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I'm now close to 20 on techno and trickster on xbox
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:53 pm I don't do shooters on console, but Outriders is supposed to support cross-play.
Good man!
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

I played a little yesterday, but kept crashing. Game is extremely buggy at the moment. I am hoping they fix the issues. Some of it was apparently due to server load.

I got two characters to 9 yesterday, couldn't decide what i wanted to play. Had the world tiers at the max of the Demo so leveling at that tier was difficult without cheesing AI. I could have lowered the world tier level and would not have had nearly the issues.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Genghis wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:56 am I played a little yesterday, but kept crashing. Game is extremely buggy at the moment. I am hoping they fix the issues. Some of it was apparently due to server load.

I got two characters to 9 yesterday, couldn't decide what i wanted to play. Had the world tiers at the max of the Demo so leveling at that tier was difficult without cheesing AI. I could have lowered the world tier level and would not have had nearly the issues.
Yeah, Game crashed on me last night as well (xBox One X) - still in what I think are the prologue missions (trying to switch primary weapons in a gunfight after getting the second primary weapon - shotgun. It seemed to hang and then bam- exit to Home). Seemed like a good place to stop for dinner.

Digging the setting, and while very different, has a bit of a Horizon Zero Dawn feel to the world, but that may just be me.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm playing on Xbox GamePass (TheYellowKing).

Got in a couple of hours last night and this morning before server issues got too frustrating. Hopefully those will be ironed out by tonight.

At any rate, really enjoying it so far. I rolled a Pyromancer and love the combat. I didn't play a *lot* of Destiny, but first impressions are that I like the combat in this one more. About the only thing I'm still trying to get used to is healing being connected to using your powers. It's kind of a smart idea in that it forces you to utilize those powers instead of solely relying on your firearms, but it's just a mechanic that's taking some time to wrap my head around.

Also really enjoying the storyline - I've tried to take the time to read all the character bios, watch every cutscene, and really immerse myself in the world and I like the game's dark sense of humor and unexpected twists and turns.

I haven't yet had a chance to play multiplayer, but I'm guessing that's where the game will really shine. Only bummer is that my regular Xbox group is 4 people, and Outriders only supports 3-man squads.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've been busy and until this morning I didn't get around to playing/experiencing the launch-day server issues. I don't know how they did it, but the current version of the release game is tangibly worse than the demo on PC (based on spending a good 30 hours with the demo and 15 minutes with the release version).

On my first try, I loaded up one of my existing characters (level 7 Trickster, geared with level 9 kit, world tier 5) and reset story progress to the first prologue mission. The frame rate seemed to be jumping all over the place but was staying above 60fps (according to the Steam overlay) even though it often seemed to hitch and lag. In the first combat encounter, the HUD didn't work (e.g. there was no targeting crosshair when aiming down the sight or aiming point when shooting from the hip) and I had a server disconnect within the first minute.

On the second try, the HUD functioned normally but I was still experiencing a lot of hitching and lag in the video, both in combat and during the narrative cut scenes. I'm not sure whether the problem is the net code and server issues they've been having or just that the release version is less optimized than the demo for some reason, but it definitely made a very bad first impression. If I didn't know from the demo that it can be a lot of fun to play, I might be tempted to refund it to let them work out the issues, and pick it up on sale at some point. As it is, I'll keep soldiering on for now.

I hit world tier 6 right at the beginning of the first prologue mission, so I should be able to start improving my gear almost immediately, so I've got that going for me anyway. It'll be interesting to find out how much stronger the WT6 captains and altered are compared to WT5. With my current character, I had reached the point where they were doable albeit challenging (given my lack of innate shooter skills), so I'm looking forward to seeing just how much of a difficulty bump there is in notching it up another level. The adaptive difficulty is one of the things I like about the game, although I could do without being nagged about how much I suck and that maybe I should dial back the world tier when I'm being repeatedly bitch-slapped by a captain or altered.

Follow-up: Both of the above issues are flagged as known bugs on the Steam forums. The workaround for the missing HUD is to exit to the lobby and reload. It seems to happen the first time you enter from the lobby after starting the game. The stuttering graphics appears to be DX12-specific, so the workaround is to force the game to run using DX11. So far, that seems to have sorted it out.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The game is a bit slow to start but once it gets going (when it works), I'm having a blast with it.

The biggest problem right now is stability. While I didn't have any problems actually getting into the game yesterday, our multiplayer games often ended in hard crashes back to the Xbox home page. The final one last night resulted in some sort of issue where I couldn't even rejoin the game. It's frustrating, especially when it takes so long to actually get into the game even in the best of times.

When it works and you have a balanced team, however, so much fun. I was skeptical about the powers at first, but they become such an integral part of gameplay that I can't imagine the game without them now. I like the restriction of just having 3 skills - it makes you really think about what you want to bring to a battle and how those skills are best going to complement your play style and your squad.

My son has been playing as well, and he absolutely loves it. I just wish they'd tone down the language. Not to sound like a prude, but as a parent it gets irritating when they're peppering every sentence with f-bombs for really no reason at all other than to earn their "Mature" label.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

My problem with the demo was almost purely with the dialog. Everything was so gritty-nonsensical. Like *growl* "something is happening over here, investigate it and then kill it." *growl* I almost laughed out loud when they hand waved my character's questions away and said something to the effect of "we can tell you more later, but now you need to kill these guys." Just too over-the-top for me, like if Avatar had been directed by Michael Bay.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the main quest yesterday at level 28, world tier 7 though we ended up dropping the world tier WAYYYYY down for the final boss. I've only played about an hour post-story and we are just working on cleaning up side quests as we barely did any on the first pass. Close to unlocking WT9 now, not having much difficulty with 8. We haven't really gotten into any real builds yet. I think the story is probably the worst thing about the game. I didn't really mind it all that much it just didn't do anything for me. I guess the insane bullet-sponge-ification of some of the later enemies might rank up there too. One late game battle took us like 15 minutes and the same mechanics used in the battle showed up later in an important battle and annoyed me... a lot.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

I played more over the weekend and I think I got to level 21 or 22. I don't know how many crashes i had but it was quite a bit Friday and Saturday. Sunday was more stable.
I really like certain aspects of the game, and don't like others. The difficulty is all over the place. Snipers are stupid. I hate them with a passion. The fact they can take you to half life or less and stun you from near infinite range while you may or may not see them is just bad design. If you could dodge it would be one thing, but sometimes you just get into an area and are instantly hit with no warning. Do not even get the laser pointer warning sometimes. Lost so many WT progress due to those.
The other issue is the classes seem to be based off their "Bullet buff" abilities, and when those go on cooldown it feels like you are just hitting stuff with a wet noodle.
Other that that though is a pretty fun game. Playing techno and as long as my blight bullets are up i can gun down captains pretty quick. When those go down though, everything turns into a bullet sponge.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I wanted to like it but after playing the demo, it just wasn't for me. I don't like boss fight and the whole heal mechanic doesn't work well for me. I tried that first side mission boss (fire) about half a dozen times and never got him. Got close a couple of times but it just wasn't fun. Glad some are enjoying it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:13 pm I wanted to like it but after playing the demo, it just wasn't for me. I don't like boss fight and the whole heal mechanic doesn't work well for me. I tried that first side mission boss (fire) about half a dozen times and never got him. Got close a couple of times but it just wasn't fun. Glad some are enjoying it.
I go back and forth on the healing mechanic. I've played a bit of three of the classes now and I think the healing mechanics present a pretty interesting puzzle making it a lot more than a straight up shooter. The way you need to work the powers in and sometimes there are little mobs to feed on and sometimes there aren't and you have to figure out how to have the flexibility to survive in those situations.

I am still playing it. I got my Devastator to the end game and damn is the end game hard with a devastator. The meta is DPS DPS DPS because the end game content is all timed and the devastator isn't big on the DPS side. It can be pretty good but it's not the focus. I completely broke my build trying to adjust and now that character is close to useless now as I can't go back or forward without grinding tons of loot to rebuild (with a broken character).

I went back and picked my Pyromancer from the demo again and have been running with that trying to bring it up to a useful state where maybe it could even farm loot to fix the devastator (game has a shared stash but shares NOTHING else). I am still in the mid game on the Pyro but am enjoying the difference, but also *really* missing the tankiness of the devastator. He may have killed a bit more slowly but damn was he hard to kill.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've read that multiplayer is almost essential for endgame, particularly as you move into the higher difficulties. Which I don't necessarily mind; I have pretty good group I run with and I don't mind joining a pickup group here and there as I did in Destiny.

Still having fun with it, but just don't get to play as often as I'd like.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm I've read that multiplayer is almost essential for endgame, particularly as you move into the higher difficulties.
Yeah basically it is timed runs through a set of scenarios with increasing difficulty with progression similar to world tier. You need all the DPS.
YellowKing wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm Still having fun with it, but just don't get to play as often as I'd like.
Steam says I have played 39 hours. I am not sure if that is accurate as it has crashed a few times and sometimes steam doesn't notice when a game goes away in that manner. That seems a bit high, but I am a little obsessive.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter