Loop Hero

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Butterknife

Loop Hero

Post by Butterknife »

It isn't often that I find a promising game before the rest of you, but I think I'm on to something this time and I wanted to share. I've been playing the Loop Hero demo several times over the past few days (4 hours so far) and I keep thinking about it and wanting to play more.

Initially I was very turned off by the look-and-feel of the game. It takes "retro" to a whole new level. But the gameplay is very unique and interesting! And for me, that trumps the look of it. Essentially you travel around a loop, and you get to place cards from your hand on the board that create monsters or add effects to the loop or surrounding area. Your character auto-battles the monsters he encounters, and you collect weapons and resources.

The weapons are good for the loop only and make your character more powerful, with the loot specific to the character you pick (apparently there are 3 you can unlock). The resources upgrade your camp back at base, which gives all your characters long-term benefits (for example, the first unlock lets you heal an extra 10% of your life each time you finish a loop).

I like several things about the game. There are several secrets to unlock. Minor spoiler from the first secret you'll probably unlock:
Spoiler:
Putting 9 mountain or rock cards together into a 3x3 grid for example creates a harpy enemy
The loot is randomized which I've always enjoyed, with tiers to its level so you can find legendary stuff. Card placement is something you have to think about, not just automatic, or you can create a zone that will kill you fast. You have to pick-and-choose what cards to take with you into a level, and that has the fun of any deck-builder.

Perhaps the part of it that appeals to me the most, though, is that the game isn't too hard. Most roguelites for me are just too difficult. I know I'm never going to beat them. But this game, while still very challenging, seems like something I could ultimately beat by just keeping at it. For me that's a big plus. In the demo I was able to unlock healing potions and special abilities for leveling up, and both of those added a ton to my survivability. I'm really looking forward to getting this game, so I'll give more info when it unlocks on March 4th, but in the meantime I'd recommend the demo if this sounds interesting.
Paingod

Re: Loop Hero

Post by Paingod »

Interesting. For a moment, though, I thought you might have been referring to this loop game.

I like the concept and will have to give it more of a read and maybe a play on the demo.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Is gameplay as frantic as it seems to be in the live stream?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:50 pm Is gameplay as frantic as it seems to be in the live stream?
I played through the tutorial and one post-tutorial expedition in the demo, making it 7 loops before deciding to lock in my resources, and at least at this stage it isn't frantic at all. After each fight you may get some cards and equipment and you can right click to pause and decide where to place things and what to equip then right click again and you resume the loop. You can bail at any time but if you bail outside the campfire you only bring home part of the resources you collected.

Side note I loathe the graphics but the gameplay loop (ha!) is interesting enough that I can give it a pass for now. I am curious to see how things progress.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:44 pm Interesting. For a moment, though, I thought you might have been referring to this loop game.
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:24 pm
Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:44 pm Interesting. For a moment, though, I thought you might have been referring to this loop game.
Enlarge Image
Yeah, he got me with that too. Punk!

As coop said the gameplay isn't frantic at all. You can pause at any time by right-clicking, and I pause frequently. Without pausing I don't know how you'd evaluate the loot you pick up -- in fact the game auto-pauses while you are hovering over the loot, so obviously the devs felt that was necessary.

One cool thing about the game I forgot to mention is that it can be played entirely with the mouse, which is unusual.

The graphics really are unfortunate. I think it is going to keep a lot of people from even trying the game, I almost passed on it for that reason alone.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it's the sort of concept and execution that interests me, so i am trying it.

at what point do you retreat to camp - when you've (re-)constructed the world to a point where it's too difficult for you to handle?
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:41 am it's the sort of concept and execution that interests me, so i am trying it.

at what point do you retreat to camp - when you've (re-)constructed the world to a point where it's too difficult for you to handle?
Yeah, that's probably the best time. I put in a few more hours, almost 7 total with the demo but I'm shelving it until the full game comes out because I want to do a deep dive.

I've died to the boss, I've died to a random monster, I've retreated while not in the "home" tile, and I've retreated from the home tile. All of them penalize you resources except for retreating from the home tile, so that's what you want to do if at all possible.

After trying some completely different setups with the world map, it influences your loop greatly. Put down lots of beacons (that make you and enemies move faster) and you'll zip around the map, which gives you a lot of "days" and thus lots of enemy spawns and lots of regen (from meadows). Put down lots of enemy zones and you'll crawl around the map, but with lots of regen or vampirism you can still handle it -- plus you'll get a ton of loot and level up a lot.

One thing it took me forever to figure out but that is probably worth sharing is that the boss meter climbs whenever you put a card on the board, so if you don't want to fight the boss just yet stop putting down cards. I tried a different run where I was more selective about what I put down (instead of just plopping down every card that came up as soon as I got it) and the game changed quite a bit, I was able to get much further and decided to take on the boss for the second time, which did not go well again.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Butterknife wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 pm The graphics really are unfortunate. I think it is going to keep a lot of people from even trying the game, I almost passed on it for that reason alone.
I downloaded the demo last night and stuck my toe in, but yeah......the game is not attractive.
I'm hoping the gameplay gets me past that.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I tried the boss a couple times just to see. The second try I got him down to about 20% so it's certainly possible. The problem is that I like to get damage all for the loops but it is useless against the boss, where regen and vampirism would be much more useful.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Butterknife wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 pm The graphics really are unfortunate. I think it is going to keep a lot of people from even trying the game, I almost passed on it for that reason alone.
I really like the graphics.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

...but after spending some time with the demo, I don't think this game is for me.
I see the appeal, and the combo of push your luck, deckbuilding, tile placement is interesting, but it didn't get it's hooks into me.
And the story dialogue is just annoying.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Looks like Steam just put this up for 15% off. I have no credit card, yet. :(

Also, Demo, we need more like that!!!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Archinerd wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:15 am ...but after spending some time with the demo, I don't think this game is for me.
I see the appeal, and the combo of push your luck, deckbuilding, tile placement is interesting, but it didn't get it's hooks into me.
And the story dialogue is just annoying.
+1 to all that
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This didn’t look like something I’d be interested in, but it is getting some surprisingly glowing reviews. For $12, I may need to give it a shot.

EDIT: More fun than I expected, will take some practice to figure out how all the different cards and abilities mesh together.

Is there a way to trash gear you don't want? Or is shuffling new gear in and out simply part of the puzzle?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:58 pm This didn’t look like something I’d be interested in, but it is getting some surprisingly glowing reviews. For $12, I may need to give it a shot.

EDIT: More fun than I expected, will take some practice to figure out how all the different cards and abilities mesh together.

Is there a way to trash gear you don't want? Or is shuffling new gear in and out simply part of the puzzle?
Gear auto-trashes itself once your inventory fills up. I played this game for several hours last night. I started a new save, you don’t have to because your progress carries over from the demo, but I had learned some stuff from playing before and wanted to arrange my town a little differently.

Game was very fun. I am looking forward to getting more time in this weekend. Also, I was able to beat the Lich for the first time, and got the “Just getting started” achievement. I also managed to unlock the second class you can play as, so quite a lot accomplished but I knew what I was doing from playing the demo so much.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

FWIW I saw a comment from the dev saying that if you played the demo pre-release, he highly recommends starting over with a new save (playing post-release). No details on why.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Went up against the Lich for the first time today. Had a full set of level 12 gear, nearly full health, a high counter percentage, good defense, and good vampirism percentage to regen HP. Was feeling good about it.

He took me out in 4 hits. :?

Coming away from that round with basically nothing (a bunch of partial items and two completed...while 19 completed items got tossed) was rather discouraging, to say the least.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I'm 15 hours in now. I've just defeated the second boss. Definitely feel like I've gotten my money's worth, just because the game is very unique.

My impressions overall of the game after having played it a lot more is that it is a very good game, but there are still better roguelites out there (such as Hades, for example). That being said, I'm happy with my purchase and I still intend to keep playing. I'm very much enjoying how much different I can make each loop by playing as a different character or using different cards, you can really mix things up a lot for each run and it has a marked difference as you play. I feel like I'm constantly tuning things -- a deck that works for the warrior, for example, may be horrible for the necromancer.

There's a lot of things to unlock. I'd talk about all of it, and the secrets you can find, but I feel that overall figuring that kind of stuff out is a large part of the fun, so I'm avoiding any specifics. There are definitely a couple of cards that I feel I must be missing something on -- one in particular just seems straight-up bad and I keep including it in my deck every so often just because I'm waiting for it to combine with something else and suddenly be amazing. I'm definitely going to look for spoilers once I feel I've stopped finding secrets on my own.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I bought it Friday night, after reading the thread & having a few beverages. Easy price point, good reviews, and I generally like roguelikes.

So far, I'm enjoying it. I run as many loops as I can, but chicken out before the boss. I've bailed as my health runs low, but have, almost every time, been able to finish a loop and take most of my resources home. So I've built maybe 4 or 5 buildings, but haven't made any progress.

Personally, I like this more than Hades, though I'm not sure why. Not sure if it's the arcade action of Hades (but I like Rogue Legacy). Or the style, or whatever, but this one pulls me to come play again soon.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i see multiple people playing this on my Steam Friends list who have nothing to do with this forum, so it must be A Thing now
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I picked this up on a whim and spent a few evenings with it. It's an interesting concept that I wouldn't mind seeing fleshed out more. I have access to three classes - Warrior, Rogue, Necromancer - and I've beaten the first two bosses so far. I've expanded to have maybe half the camp buildings out.

The game seems to turn very formulaic. You mostly seem to spend time in your loops establishing which cards you like interacting with others and working to carefully limit the number of creatures you encounter so it's not so few you don't find any items nor so many that you die.

I found that keeping spawns to 2 creatures as a general rule helps survivability tremendously. I accomplish this with:
Spoiler:
  • There's a card that knocks down the creature limit by 1 in a radius. Two of these overlap to limit a square to 2.
  • Don't put down Grove tiles unless you're willing to add the above card.
  • Don't put down Spider Nest tiles unless you're willing to add the first card.
  • Vampire's Mansions on bare earth can spawn Slimes + a Vampire, which is an okay fight.
  • Vampire's Mansions + Battlefields can spawn a Chest + Vampire, which is an easier fight.
  • Villages + Wheat Fields give you a single spawn each loop.
  • Move faster with the Beacon so you move further in a single day, meaning fewer days per loop and fewer spawns.
Stuff like that.

I found the Warrior to be fairly functional with high Defense and/or Damage All. The Rogue seems to work best with emphasis on Evasion & Attack Speed (Evasion is a priority). The Necromancer just kind of ends worlds while you watch, +2 Summon & + Summon Level is really all you need. I haven't beaten any boss with anyone except the Necromancer.
Black Lives Matter

Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

This is a bit of a spoiler, but I think it is worth mentioning. In the later part of the game, wood and stone resources are no longer enough to build several of the buildings and upgrades. Therefore, you will have to tailor what kind of map you chase after in order to get the orbs you need. You may, for example, want to fight liquid and swarm enemies, so you will take the cards and do the fights that give you those resources. This may force you to switch up your build as well, as some characters are better-suited to some enemies.

Here's an example:
Spoiler:
Combining a swamp + vampire creates enemies that quickly kill themselves, as the healing that the vampire and mosquitoes do damages themselves. It is, however, certain death to go in there as a character that heals itself, such as a rogue or warrior. So take a necromancer.
I've gotten every building unlocked but two of them. I'm currently working on the last couple of buildings, then I'll start into more upgrades (I think I've only upgraded one building so far). I still haven't managed to even reach the third boss, every time I start up the third difficulty I get slaughtered by the time I get to loop 5 or so.

For me the necromancer hasn't turned out so well -- I always seem to be doing just fine, then one fight comes along and I get slaughtered. Last time I played him I had 2 resurrections as well, and I just popped right back into the same fight and got immediately killed again, twice. So that didn't go so well. I've beaten the first boss with the warrior and rogue, and I beat the second boss with the rogue. I haven't beaten any boss with the necromancer, so it restores my faith to know that it can be done.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Butterknife wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:40 amI haven't beaten any boss with the necromancer, so it restores my faith to know that it can be done.
The Necro is the only one I have beaten bosses with. The Rogue is my flimsiest character. I think it's just understanding their character.

My Necro's "Boss" items added up to like +10 summon level, +35% Evade, 200 mana shield, +40% summon quality. At the second boss I had to resurrect once. My Necro only chased the bosses because I kind of got tired of going around in the loop after 9 or 10 spins.

Bear in mind, though, I was doing "spawn lite" loops. My deck was 8 cards, and none of them really spawn more than one creature per loop, and I liked to accelerate my speed with Beacons. My first two loops were mostly slimes and vampires. I add in the Groves when I can control how many animals they spawn and stack them on top of each other. When a goblin town would pop up (once every 10 mountains) I'd stick a Village in front of it to block the spawn.

I did learn that putting a Vampire's Mansion in range of a Village is a bad idea.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:51 am I did learn that putting a Vampire's Mansion in range of a Village is a bad idea.
It's actually a good idea with a price. For three laps it's painful, but there is a payoff. Also, after you place the mansion and the transformation happens you can obliterate the mansion so the vampire doesn't join the pain train.

I can't decide if I love or hate this game. My progress isn't very good. I beat the first boss on my third expedition. I have yet to summon the second boss or unlock the necro. I love the rogue but I apparently am way too brave and always push my luck too far leaving most of the resources next to my corpse.

The ridiculous number of placement options and consequences is mind boggling.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:45 amThe ridiculous number of placement options and consequences is mind boggling.
Probably the only reason I'm still playing.
coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:45 am
Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:51 am I did learn that putting a Vampire's Mansion in range of a Village is a bad idea.
It's actually a good idea with a price. For three laps it's painful, but there is a payoff.
I never actually went three laps with it in place. I think it killed me on the second lap after placing it. It spanked me hard enough that I didn't want to do it again.

I'd be curious to see a table of reactions between tiles.

A few I like:
Spoiler:
I make a nice giant mountain fair early with a 3x3 square of rocks and mountains. I place a lot of meadows next to things for +3 HP per day. I like making long chains of Wheat-Village-Wheat-Village-Wheat-Village for fun and profit; each Village with 2 Wheat near it grants 90 healing per pass-through, in addition to the quest/reward. I also like the Treasury when I can space them 1 square apart so a single Meadow connects them; sometimes I'll let a Treasury sit for several loops, waiting for a second one to pop up so I can position them in the closest proximity to each other.

Interesting synergy: My Necro made a MASSIVE desert and I had placed the Ancient Tomb (grants you +3 HP permanently per killed creature?). As a result, each Dunes or Desert card cut enemy health by 0.5% or 1% and I kept about the same health over time. My ending desert was probably knocking 25% off every creature's health, including the 2nd boss.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Are there any early interactions between "by the road" tiles and "out in the empty wilderness" tiles? I started wondering if there were more interesting ones after it dawned on me I could put meadows next to monster spawning tiles.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

re mountain peaks, it's kind of cheat-y and I wonder fi they'll patch it out, but you can...
Spoiler:
oblivion them and place another single rock/mountain and get the peak bonus again... and again... and again
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I have reached summoning the second boss who promptly kicked my butt before I got it halfway down. Not quite sure how the warrior can beat it
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Frankly, I wasn't even sure how my Necromancer did it. My screen was a mess of flying attacks and damage on both sides. All I could do was sit there and gape at it. I had to Resurrect myself once when the boss was down to maybe 15% health. I forgot I even had the ability to, so it was a welcome surprise.
Black Lives Matter

Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:24 pm Are there any early interactions between "by the road" tiles and "out in the empty wilderness" tiles? I started wondering if there were more interesting ones after it dawned on me I could put meadows next to monster spawning tiles.
What does that do? The only one I know of is meadows and chrono crystals for double healing effect.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Anything *not* a meadow next to a meadow, gives the meadow 50% more healing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Help! I've unlocked a monster and I can't figure out how I did it. If anybody knows how to unlock it, I'd appreciate a spoiler.
Spoiler:
Dark Slime?
raydude

Post by raydude »

I have to admit, I was put off by the graphics and sound in the several Youtube videos I watched of people playing the game. But it was on sale yesterday so I downloaded it. I was intrigued by the story and watching the little pixelated hero walk around the loop and fight monsters was strangely soothing. I like it!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

raydude wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:57 am...watching the little pixelated hero walk around the loop and fight monsters was strangely soothing.
Until the little hero is on Loop 11 and fighting for his life against some foolishness you just whipped up like a dummy.

It's interesting how far you can get on small, simple decks. It'd probably make for a more interesting game with more unusual challenges if my decks were maximum size instead of 7 cards.
Butterknife wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:38 pm Help! I've unlocked a monster and I can't figure out how I did it. If anybody knows how to unlock it, I'd appreciate a spoiler.
Spoiler:
Dark Slime?
:confusion-shrug:
I've never seen that.

Footnote: The Blood Grove (kills anything at 15% health) will happily kill you too. Double-bladed sword, there.
Spoiler:
I wonder, though, if the Hungry version (after nuking the Grove it's attached to) will let you kill a BOSS that gets down to 20% health?
Black Lives Matter

Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Paingod wrote:Footnote: The Blood Grove (kills anything at 15% health) will happily kill you too. Double-bladed sword, there.
Spoiler:
I wonder, though, if the Hungry version (after nuking the Grove it's attached to) will let you kill a BOSS that gets down to 20% health?
I'm sure it would, but
Spoiler:
I doubt that the extra 5% less boss health is worth taking extra damage through the entire fight.
Here's a screenshot of my current base. I wouldn't recommend looking at this unless you are pretty far into the game, I'm at 24 hours played.
Spoiler:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Speaking of grinds (I think it was in Random Randomness), this game gives me that grindy feeling. I need 18 metal for X, I can get 5 metal in a safe run, than I decode to craft something with it... dammit, back to the grind.

Early on I really enjoyed it, but not enough changes from run to run now to satisfy me. I am at 6.4 hours, for the record. 21 expeditions, 103 loops.

...and I started an expedition since I loaded it up to get those stats... and got my first crash.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Those are really interesting stats, coop. I've got 24 hours, 38 expeditions, 272 loops. I haven't been idling the game at all. So (does some quick math) you take about 18 minutes on average to do an expedition, and I take 38 minutes to do one. That makes me WAY slower than you. I play on x2 speed, so that's pretty interesting to me. You also do 4.9 loops/expedition, and I'm doing 7.1, so I'm going around on average 30% more -- but I take twice as long to do it!

You and I must have pretty different gameplay styles. I'm hearing you though on the grind. I don't mind, though -- feels more like a goal to me at this point. "I need 3 orbs of whatever this round to build that upgrade I want" -- fast forward a couple of hours.

Oh quick note for everyone -- the game doesn't save during an expedition, so don't quit in the middle of a long one. Made that mistake once.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I only stop the loop to change out equipment once a loop and very rarely for placing tiles. I also don't have much reason to spend time in town as I generally can't build or upgrade anything and I just got supplies so I slot everything I get.

I just took out the first boss for a second time since the run was going so well. Close to unlocking the necro.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Finally just beat the boss with the necromancer, thanks Paingod for advice on how to do it! Since you're struggling with the rogue I'll tell you how I go about it.
Spoiler:
The hard part with the rogue I've found is health. He's got only 5% vampirism and you can't increase that. So the trick to playing him is cities and meadows. Basically spam meadows everywhere, but remember that they do more healing next to something other than a meadow. For villages I like to use several, usually about 3 evenly spaced around the loop, sometimes more. The big drawback for the villages of course is that they spawn a quest monster with extra health, but the rogue usually makes short work of that because he does so much damage. Also keep vampire+village in mind, it is harder to get through initially but after a few loops the health bonus is totally worth it. For loot I usually focus on evasion.
Once evasion is maxed out you can usually take the boss.