Valheim

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Apollo

Re: Valheim

Post by Apollo »

I knew the fact that you can't save in this game was going to get me at some point. Until today, every time I died I didn't have much trouble recovering my stuff, even when I died in a Troll Cave and had to snatch my belongings right out from under the troll himself. But today I finally got caught in my first death loop.

I was sailing around my island for the first time in a Karve with the intention of locating a swamp biome and placing a small outpost with a teleportation portal right outside of the swamp. After travelling a great distance (my island turned out to be much larger than I thought) I finally found a swamp and, even better, a small little shack on stilts right on the shore, just across a river inlet from a Black Forest biome. I parked the boat and climbed into the little house, repairing and patching it up as I went.

The house was in a very handy location, but it was definitely too small. However, by now I was out of wood and needed to start chopping down trees in order to expand the stilthouse. As soon as I hit the beach a Draugr came up and killed me in two blows, despite my upgraded Bronze Armor. So I put on my old leather armor and ran back to the spot from the far side of the island, only to get killed by the same Draugr again. The next time I built a raft and made my way, slowly but surely, to the same beach, jumped off, and grabbed my equipment only to be immediately attacked by two blobs. I killed them but their poison got me a few seconds later.

So then I ran back to the location naked with only a flint axe, hoping I could snatch my stuff and equip all my armor before getting attacked. Almost made it, when a giant leech swam up on me and killed me just a dozen feet from my goal. On my final trip I realized that a Troll was staked out right where I needed to cross the river, and while he didn't kill me, he chased me deep into the forest, where about a half-dozen Greydwarves killed me.

I finally had to do the unthinkable: God Mode.

I'm really enjoying the game right now. It's like someone mixed elements from Seven Days to Die with Skyrim. Which is not a bad recipe at all, as it turns out.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

I had a similar experience and it has soured me a bit about the game. The only difference was I sailed a loooong way and ran into Plains biome before I even found swamp. Next thing I know I'm dead from a damn mosquito in my boat close to the shoreline. My corpse conveniently died near a group of Plains mobs that I have no chance against. I gave up on that seed and started again, except this seed looks even worse. The second boss is obscenely far from the start point requiring a karve to get to the next landmass. And it's doubtful whether the boss is even on that island. I've completely scouted out the starting island and there doesn't seem to be any point in doing anything on it except build a portal for the trophy altar. It seems to me their seed generation algorithm needs some tweaking. I'd like to keep playing, probably try another seed, but may wait for the game to develop some more.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

So am I the only one that personalizes my seeds? I started one with my daughter's nickname and date of birth, my family's first initials and the year my wife and I got married, my old police badge number, etc. I have found some pretty cool stuff doing that, and it has a personal meaning to it, too. I used the same trick when I played the Empyrion survival game, and my lucky number put me DIRECTLY next to one of the best beginning shipwrecks to use as a starting base.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jag

Post by Jag »

If you ever get your body stuck in a bad place, there is a recovery team standing by waiting to help you.

Just reach out to the Body Recovery Squad on Discord. They will be happy to help you retrieve your body.

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lqz1sr/thanks_to_the_body_recovery_squad/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-04-valheims-body-recovery-squad-will-help-you-get-your-items-back-and-all-for-free
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Jag wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:20 pm If you ever get your body stuck in a bad place, there is a recovery team standing by waiting to help you.

Just reach out to the Body Recovery Squad on Discord. They will be happy to help you retrieve your body.

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lqz1sr/thanks_to_the_body_recovery_squad/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-04-valheims-body-recovery-squad-will-help-you-get-your-items-back-and-all-for-free
Another thing that has impressed me with Valheim regarding this is that I have yet to be stuck. Even in most AAA titles involving a huge open world like this one I've ended up falling through the map into a perpetual abyss as the inverted world falls away above me. The one time I came the closest to it is when I fell behind a set of stairs in an abandoned tower in Black Forest, but all I had to do was axe my way through the stairs and I was free. Amazed how solid this game is and it's still WAY in the early stages.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This is digital crack. I just can't stop playing once I start. We had a super fun session today that I wish I had recorded. We had to go south to another island to get to the next boss so we gathered supplies and headed out on the boat. We crashed into rocks... We beached the boat on a sandbar and had to dig out. Once we finally found a safe place to dock there was a spawn right there and we had to fight for our lives. If we both died that would have been ugly. Somehow we survived and built a base and portal back to our main hub. Spent the next few hours exploring the new area and clearing out dungeons. It's just soooo good.. :horse:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Haven't focused too much on the second boss yet, just exploring and wandering. Stockpiling stuff and even started another seed for the fun of it to explore more. This game is awesome!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I finally found IRON!. I think am on day 127 and for the last good chunk of gameplay its been devoted to exploring to find a swamp with sunken crypts. First one was bare. So i went exploring I found: the trader, two plains biomes, and some irate deathsquitos that lived up to their name.

So once I realized I found swamp set up portal to the home land and ported back. Grab my gear, stagbreaker...Check, potions.... check. Ok lets go. Get to the crypt. Damn I forgot my sunken crypt key. I run back home...on my way back I realize I should set up a portal closer to the crypts for logistic reasons. I'll do it next time....and decide against setting up a closer portal and run back to sunken crypt! Yeah I'm in! Go to mine the scrap iron. I'd left my pick at home...so now I am back at base, with all my gear and enough mats to make that portal closer to the crypts. Wonder what mobs await me.
Best thing about it, is extracting it back to my home island shouldn't be too hard. Question is to set up a smelting station near those crypts or lug em elsewhere.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Is there any indication of when this will be out of Early Access?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We just beat the 3rd boss and he's no freaking joke. It took 3 of us a good half hour of running around and screaming. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

stimpy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:30 pm Is there any indication of when this will be out of Early Access?
I have no idea what the plan is for it to go out of early access, but it does not fell like an early access game to me. There's soooooo much you can already do that they could have just released it and said it was done and I would have had zero issues saying it was well worth the 20 bucks.

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Octavious wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:07 am
stimpy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:30 pm Is there any indication of when this will be out of Early Access?
I have no idea what the plan is for it to go out of early access, but it does not fell like an early access game to me. There's soooooo much you can already do that they could have just released it and said it was done and I would have had zero issues saying it was well worth the 20 bucks.
Totally agree with this. Have absolutely gotten my 20 bones worth from it. No idea how much longer the wow factor will last. But can say I am a really looking forward to building a fort/castle. Dont even care about fighting the next boss [Bone Mass #3].
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Fun fact...I was jonny appleseee in my game. Took a bunch of seeds and regrew a forest I'd decimated early [moved it over a 100 yards or so]. Pretty cool to see it come back so quick. Saw deer & boar roaming in it. Even think it caused some raspberries to grow. They weren't there before. Am curious to toy around with that part of the game.
Bayraktar!!!!

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Bonemass is no joke. Make sure you prep A TON for that fight.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

He's not *that* bad. I'd take him over Moder any day. Killing all the spawners around him makes things a lot easier as does using blunt weapons and having poison resist potions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eh it took us a good half hour and we had both. We kept running into dungeons to heal.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I know there was a patch that buffed some of the bosses after we took him down, but we killed him with bow and arrow with only minor challenge (the second try -- when we learned to take out spawners)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya no they changed him. Bows do 0 damage now.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I seem to be stuck trying to find leather scraps. I know they drop from boar but there are so few boar to be found that I spend most of my time wandering around meadows hoping to find a few. I need them to upgrade my gear before I try to take out the first boss.

Is there a better way to gather leather?
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

It is possible to tame boars, fence them in and breed them. However, I only had problems finding boars at the very beginning of the game. Once I started doing a lot of exploring I ran into them everywhere.
Tao

Post by Tao »

So far I have also found boars to be plentiful, you just need to look for them a bit as the Meadows can be quite large and the boars also wander around in the wooded areas (not the Black Forest). Not sure if your trying to play as a purist but you can also always create a new seed if you feel you are low on a starting resource, and just traverse back and forth. As mentioned boar taming is also available but I found it to be a PITA and not really necessary as I found enough leather between the deer and boar.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

After I posted I found a different section of the meadows biome that was stuffed with boars. I was able to get my upgrades and take down the first boss.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I ran into something today I hadn't encountered or even heard of before.

It all began when I was sailing around my island, trying to get a feel for where the different biomes were when I saw one of those abandoned little villages you run into from time to time. But this one was different: It had a large barn, bigger than any of the ruined wooden buildings I had seen in the game at that time. As I approached a Draugr saw me and began running after me...In the meadows biome! And there were no swamps nearby either. It turns out that multiple buildings in that village had Draugr spawners inside, just waiting for you to open the door. Luckily I saw one through the cracks in the walls as I approached and killed several of them with my bow.

For now, I just put down a gate nearby and visit it from time to time to get entrails without having to go into the swamps, which are even creepier than the Black Forest. But it scared the crap out of me the first time one came running up... :oops:

60+ hours in and I'm just now getting around to smelting Iron. I'm really enjoying this game. Best 20 dollar gaming investment I've made since I bought Kerbal Space Program in early access alll those years ago.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Apollo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:01 am I ran into something today I hadn't encountered or even heard of before.

It all began when I was sailing around my island, trying to get a feel for where the different biomes were when I saw one of those abandoned little villages you run into from time to time. But this one was different: It had a large barn, bigger than any of the ruined wooden buildings I had seen in the game at that time. As I approached a Draugr saw me and began running after me...In the meadows biome! And there were no swamps nearby either. It turns out that multiple buildings in that village had Draugr spawners inside, just waiting for you to open the door. Luckily I saw one through the cracks in the walls as I approached and killed several of them with my bow.

For now, I just put down a gate nearby and visit it from time to time to get entrails without having to go into the swamps, which are even creepier than the Black Forest. But it scared the crap out of me the first time one came running up... :oops:

60+ hours in and I'm just now getting around to smelting Iron. I'm really enjoying this game. Best 20 dollar gaming investment I've made since I bought Kerbal Space Program in early access alll those years ago.
Agreed. I have more hours in (bit a tiny bit) and still haven't even taken out the second boss. I'm having too much fun mining tin and copper and massing bronze to make armor.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Guys help me out here. For any that have played games like Rust, The Forest, Subnautica, Raft, The Long Dark, etc. does this game offer something that those don't? Or just MOTS? What's the special sauce here, if any?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:42 pm Guys help me out here. For any that have played games like Rust, The Forest, Subnautica, Raft, The Long Dark, etc. does this game offer something that those don't? Or just MOTS?
It's a new take on a pretty familiar genre. It's super chill like 95% of the time until it suddenly become panic inducing. Amusingly, even when panic time comes, the music remains super chill. Sailing with a boat full of ore back to your main base constantly looking behind you for that damn sea serpent and cursing the wind which is NEVER going the right way. Trying to wrangle the building limitations to make the longhouse you've always dreamed of. Laughing at your buddy as he falls into the moat and is murdered by the mobs that got trapped in there... again.

There is basically nothing unique about the game and it doesn't have any narrative but the one in your head and it's ugly as hell... but it just works so well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:48 pm ...There is basically nothing unique about the game and it doesn't have any narrative but the one in your head and it's ugly as hell... but it just works so well.
The graphics are the hardest thing to explain about this game. I agree that the textures and poly counts make the graphics look dated, but the lighting, the animations, and the overall design makes it look much better in person than in screenshots. Some folks will hate it, but I've been really impressed by the overall look of the game. For example, the Black Forest is the best looking "Fantasy Forest" I've ever seen.

The reason I think I'm enjoying the game so much is that it's the first survival game where I'm facing magical, supernatural beings, which is much more compelling to me than facing off against alien wildlife, cultists, zombies, etc. And I'm using traditional fantasy weapons as well, not chainsaws and assault rifles. In addition, the pacing in this game, at least in single player, is just absolutely perfect for me. I'm always on the verge of unlocking something new, and I can build to my heart's content without worrying about falling behind on this or that.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well we have 4 bosses down. They need to hurry up and release more content! :lol:

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thanks for the feedback, just wondering what all the hype was about. I've STARTED (30m tops?!) several of the supposed top games in this genre, just never went further with any specific one for some reason.

It's the classic dilemma of OO Effect vs. even a superficial glance at my backlog and the amazing, unplayed games EVEN IN THIS GENRE. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I hear you. I have Green Hell, The Forest and 7 Days to Die sitting untouched, but I can't ignore all the positive buzz about this one. I bounced off ARK , fwiw and this just seems to be universally loved.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Hey Carpet,

I am not a big player of survival games. Little bit of playing of a few zombie survivals and subnautica in terms of similar genres. But nothing extensive. Never got too deep into minecraft.

For this game there are a lot little systems that work that come together well.

1. The building is pretty fun. Honestly, the thing that makes me want to dive back into my game is to build an opus like castle. The building mechanics simple as they may be are what's driving my continued interest in the game. Its kind of cool to be able to plan and build your own castle. Moats, death pits, archer towers, farming plateaus. Just a lot of interesting concepts I wish to put together. For the past week or so been gathering wood and leveling off the base of what's going to be my future castle. In my head I am building a Notre Dame or Neuschwanstein type of structure. Grand with a lot of cool shit. Or until I get tired of it and the next cool thing distracts.

2. Resource extraction: There is just something fun running around chopping enough wood or mining while waiting to be ambushed by mobs. I can run across the first two biomes with impunity for the most part. BUt you know the hits are going to come. However, when you get to higher levels extracting those resources becomes much more tense. IN order to build better things you need access to higher resources iron is found in the 3rd biome [level] so now in order to build a grander structure I need to be able to extract those resources from the third tier.

3. Exploration: The world is pretty huge. And in order to build those grand designs of mine, I need to go into the world and get more resources. I need stone, wood, and all those resources. So now the game shifts to herding those resources. I need Iron, so off adventuring I go in search of it. So now I have to explore and run around "deadly" biomes in search of those.

I honestly dont pay any attention to the combat. I can run through the first three biomes with almost impunity right now. The graphics are low quality, but work. The building stuff works. It takes a little bit of tinkering, but its intuitive enough that you can figure things out. I think its also low stress and is an outlet for my creative itch are another major draw.

I've easily gotten 20 bucks out of it. I look forward to seeing how it improves.
Bayraktar!!!!

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Damn you all.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:40 pm Damn you all.
If it helps it is like 40% less fun when you play solo.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:20 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:40 pm Damn you all.
If it helps it is like 40% less fun when you play solo.
That DOES help, actually. I would most likely be playing solo.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I find the game fun but mostly because it's new, it doesn't really do that much better or have much in the way of innovation, than other games in the genre. To be fair, it's still in early access so I don't know what else is planned but If your in the mood for a survival game and have not yet bought Valheim I would look at some of the other offerings out there. My short list of my favorite survival games,

1. Subnautica
2. Subnautica
3. Ark
4. Conan
5. Don't Starve, 7 Days to Die, couple of others

Seriously, if your looking for a survival game and have not yet played Subnautica go play it. It may not be perfect but it comes pretty darn close.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I LOVED Subnautica, until it made me pee my pants. Haven't played since. :(
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

This is amazing. My favorite bit is the method he used to kill the first boss.

Spoilers for the first two bosses if you haven't fought them yet.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

That video is amazingly funny!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:35 pm That video is amazingly funny!
Yeah, there was quite a few spots where I literally LOL'd

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I have no experience with survival games.
That is, until I started the Long Dark.
Now I know why survival games are also referred to as walking simulators. Oh vey!!
I also know now why I've avoided them. I mean, there seems to be a good game there, but the slog is real.

How does this game handle travel?
He/Him/His/Porcupine