Valheim

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Valheim

Post by Jag »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:56 pm I'm beginning to feel the OO effect strongly on this, but I have a couple of concerns...

1. I play solo and while I see that the game supports solo play, I've also seem comments like those on the quoted polygon.com overview which suggest that the playing the game solo might be more of a grind. I'm not thrilled about grinding, I remember that my from old WoW days.

B. I see references to bosses. I'm thinking that I understand those to be creatures that you have to overcome to... do what? Access certain areas? Unlock more tools/weapons? And how tough are the bosses, especially when playing solo?

Thanks for any answers folks might provide! :D
1. I play solo too. It's not MMO grindy. It's material grindy, which is normal for survival games. If that bothers you, this may not be your genre.

2. The bosses are all soloable, but from what I understand, you will have to grind a bunch to beat the later ones. There is that word again. Bosses give you tools and some simple magic power. I only beat the first one, which is easy to do with starting materials.

The game is also in early access. There is still a bunch of stuff coming, but it is in surprisingly good shape and fun for an EA game. I'll get my $20 out of it easy before it's released.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I spent most of Friday and Saturday building a new base next to a swamp. I spent most of today building a road through the swamp (having already exploited the closer iron sources). All in the name of iron. I am enjoying this beyond belief.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I will say the hardest part for me was to get started and figured out what I wanted to do. The lack of documentation sucks to be blunt. So i've had to wander the net to figure things out. There are a few handy guides via Steam that I'd suggest to folks as well. Theres not a lot of them but a few of them give a good overview of things and the nitty gritty.

The other hard part, was the corpse runs. i probably did about 40 corpse runs easily in my first 10-15 hours playing. I got caught in a dungeon and died multiple times there; then there was the troll by my copper deposit [he died eventually]. BUT...once you kind of figure out how to hit mobs and kite them...the combat gets better.

I play solo also, and it might be a bit more time consuming to do what I want...but I've never felt it was a hindrance. Combat is not too difficult.

MORE TIPS
-always have food buffs rolling. These add A LOT of stamina and HP to your toon. Boar meat is easy to come by, raspberries are all over, dear meat & neck meat easy peasy as well. This can easily bump up your survivability.

QUESTION TO ALL:
-has anyone used a cleared out dungeon as a base? I'm wondering if they are worthwhile to set up little outposts in. I dont think they regenerate mobs once you've destroyed the relic.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Picked this up, and am playing with the kids. We're enjoying it so far, but we only scratched the surface so far. Basic starting base. Figuring out the crafting and such. I built the fire outside our first hut but apparently not in a good spot. My son keeps walking out the door right through the fire. :D We've yet to explore our starting area much thus far, but I'm looking forward to it.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Picked this up for my family as well (could not resist OO/Gone Gold effect) and we are enjoying the heck out of it. Graphics are old school (reminds me of Torchlight I/II) but the gameplay elements and balance between adventuring/crafting/building makes up for it. The kids and I are still very early in the game (we don't even have a decent first base yet) and just now killed the first boss and venturing into the black forest. Its still EA, and they have a ton of polishing to do (especially on the dedicated servers and allowing some basic config options so we can control the difficulty/base attacks, etc.) but I hope now that they are rolling in the cash that they can dedicate themselves to capitalizing on it and hire some more folks. We are using a join game/Steam friends method (not a dedicated server) because the direct to IP was not working for us (even though we are all on a LAN), so I do hope they can at least incorporate the old fashioned Minecraft method of joining servers soon (direct IP entry).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

2 million copies in the first two weeks. :shock:

Not sure I really understand the big deal, but am glad folks seem to be enjoying it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:56 pm B. I see references to bosses. I'm thinking that I understand those to be creatures that you have to overcome to... do what? Access certain areas? Unlock more tools/weapons? And how tough are the bosses, especially when playing solo?
To answer this more specifically bosses gate your progress on the tech tree. The first boss gives you what you need to build a tool to harvest copper and tin to make bronze. The second boss gives you a swamp key which is needed to harvest iron. The third boss gives you the wish bone which is used to locate underground silver nodes (like a divining rod) -- I don't know anything after that.

It is certainly solo-able. If you like building and surviving and the very peaceful music. It's a very chill game until it is not. :)

After you play and progress a bit creatures from the various biomes you've visited will start to raid your base, so you will want to build some defenses. Our main base has a pretty significant moat that requires a well timed jump to get across and deep enough to hurt if you blow it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:07 am 2 million copies in the first two weeks. :shock:

Not sure I really understand the big deal, but am glad folks seem to be enjoying it.
100% different strokes. I find Final Fantasy games and JRPGs in general a chore.

Similarly I don't know what other people are experiencing that has them calling it janky. The only jankiness to me is the graphics (and melee with the spear) but I am used to them now (and don't use the spear).

To me it is a very smooth, chill adventure in an open world that can be pretty damn dangerous if you go astray.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:40 pm After you play and progress a bit creatures from the various biomes you've visited will start to raid your base, so you will want to build some defenses. Our main base has a pretty significant moat that requires a well timed jump to get across and deep enough to hurt if you blow it.
Troll pit!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I figured you folks might enjoy some memes from this article

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Does this work ok with a controller? Or is it meant primarily for mouse + keyboard?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:23 pm Does this work ok with a controller? Or is it meant primarily for mouse + keyboard?
I check and it works with a controller. Inventory management is a bit of a pain and swapping weapons/tools on the fly might be a little slow to be optimal. I think it would be a much better experience with mouse/KB.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

I finally got the nerve up to take down the second boss. I started with 70 fire arrows and over 50 flint arrows and finished with just 7 flint arrows left. I don't think I missed that much either. I used two healing potions with the 3 stack food buff in a rested state. Unfortunately I got a late start due to rain and the fight dragged into the night which slowed down my stam/health recovery, hence the healing potions. Long ass fight for sure. Now that I'm about to enter the iron stage and create stone buildings I may concentrate on building a real settlement. I am a bit disheartened after seeing some of the stuff people built on Twitch because I don't think I could put the amount of time in to make something that interesting.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:41 am I am a bit disheartened after seeing some of the stuff people built on Twitch because I don't think I could put the amount of time in to make something that interesting.
Function is key. Anything else is gravy. Also, no great need to go stone.

We took down the third boss a couple days ago and it was a mess. We ended up bailing on the first attempt after our bows broke while we ran out of arrows mostly because we didn't take care of the mob spawners in the area ahead of time. The second attempt went much better but clearing spawners was a problem because the boss doesn't despawn. He wouldn't really wait around for us, very impolite.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Still really enjoying the game when I have time to play. I'm finally very survivable in the BF biome. the greydwarves and trolls go down easily now, even the starred ones. Managed to explore the area of my new outpost, and realized its a bit limited in terms of copper. So i am going to have to hunt for that stuff more often. haven't found another dungeon so that bums me out. However, I do have some bronze and I think I might be able to make a boat soon [the one above the raft]. Am thinking of doing that soon and just going off exploring. But first...need moar resources. Fine wood, Core wood, Copper, tin! Need em!

I havent even set up portals yet, but I think I should do so soon. I only have 7 cores left, so I can only really make 1 round trip portal.

Am going to start slowly preparing for boss #2. High on my list is getting potions going.

TIP
-when fighting a troll or big monster...kite them around trees you want chopped down...the trolls will hit stuff with their attacks damaging the trees further.
Bayraktar!!!!

Tao

Post by Tao »

Newcastle wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:16 pm TIP
-when fighting a troll or big monster...kite them around trees you want chopped down...the trolls will hit stuff with their attacks damaging the trees further.
This works for copper nodes as well. Hits from a Troll club will explode the node and you just have to run around and pick up the copper, and since harvesting activities, chopping, digging, mining, attract Trolls like Bees to honey, it works pretty well.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Jag

Post by Jag »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:41 am I finally got the nerve up to take down the second boss. I started with 70 fire arrows and over 50 flint arrows and finished with just 7 flint arrows left. I don't think I missed that much either. I used two healing potions with the 3 stack food buff in a rested state. Unfortunately I got a late start due to rain and the fight dragged into the night which slowed down my stam/health recovery, hence the healing potions. Long ass fight for sure. Now that I'm about to enter the iron stage and create stone buildings I may concentrate on building a real settlement.
Fire is a key to the second boss. I also took him down with fire arrows and it took forever, just using line of sight with the pillars. Another tip I read was to drop campfires in the areas you kite him. It's like spreading lego pieces all over your floor :D
I am a bit disheartened after seeing some of the stuff people built on Twitch because I don't think I could put the amount of time in to make something that interesting.
There are console commands that can give you anything in the game, including flying. I'm sure people cut some corners. I couldn't build those things even with unlimited resources. I admit to spawning some meat in exchange for my raw meat because the sound of meat crackling made me hungry.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I was playing on a server with a friend up to the first boss, then he came back to help with the second, but was too busy with Elite to join me for the third. Beating that thing solo was one of those great gaming moments for me. Even so, not looking forward to the next boss fight LOL.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Has anyone come across a Trader? I've just about completed scouting my starting island and haven't seen one. Supposedly they are in the Black Forest biome which could make them easy to miss, but I don't know.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:35 pm Has anyone come across a Trader? I've just about completed scouting my starting island and haven't seen one. Supposedly they are in the Black Forest biome which could make them easy to miss, but I don't know.
Yeah I found the trader in my game. He was not on the starter island (or even close to the starter island really).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:35 pm Has anyone come across a Trader? I've just about completed scouting my starting island and haven't seen one. Supposedly they are in the Black Forest biome which could make them easy to miss, but I don't know.
You can jump seeds if you want. I found a seed on Reddit with a Trader and all bosses pretty close together and near the spawn point. I killed the second boss on this seed and brought his trophy back to my main seed.

https://old.reddit.com/r/valheim/commen ... best_seed/
Spoiler:
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I still haven't found him and I'm resisting using an alternate seed because that's how I am. I've covered a fair amount of map, too.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I caved to the OO effect and bought this yesterday as well. First character was just a trial run and because I forgot to build a hammer I spent an inordinate amount of time wondering how the hell to build a campfire before finally Googling it.

However, it's a lot of fun and I know I'll at least get my $20 worth. I've played a lot of survival games that didn't really grab me long-term, but I'm hoping the RPG aspect of this one is going to be the magic ingredient that keeps me coming back.

Also as far as controller vs mouse/keyboard, I tried both ways. Generally I prefer controller since I'm so used to playing Xbox these days, but in this game I switched back to mouse/keyboard pretty quickly. As noted previously, inventory/menu management just seems to be a lot easier with the mouse, and the controls are simple enough that I've had no issues with combat using mouse/keyboard.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kiddo and I took out the fourth boss yesterday. I mostly ran around distracting adds and dying while the kid pumped fire arrows into the boss. I'm working on stacking up tier 5 stuff now but I read that there isn't really anything unlocked gear wise with the fifth boss so I am slowing my roll and thinking about building a grand compound. Our main base now is a crowded little box and we have one outpost for farming in the plains. FYI, stuff you get in the plains that you might want to plant... you want to plant them in the plains. :P Some might consider that a spoiler, but it's more of annoyance saver. There are biome restrictions for crops and there are only two items that can't grow in Meadows. It was a painful lesson and if I save one person from learning that lesson the hard way it was worth it. Anyway that is why I have one real outpost. In other places I have a portal with a workbench and no structure of any kind.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trying to figure out what the hell I did here.

Haven't played since the weekend, and started up my game tonight. I clicked on "Start Game", clicked "Start" on my character, then clicked "Start" on the "Select World" box (which showed a single world, so I just assumed it was the one I had been playing on previously).

My character spawned with all his equipped gear, stats, and everything in his inventory, but I was dropped into a brand new world. Nothing on the map showed as explored, the house by the lake that I had built (with multiple chests full of loot) were all gone, all the map markers I had placed had disappeared, etc. I was starting in a brand new world, but with the same character than I had before.

Needless to say, starting all over was...not exactly what I was hoping for. :?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Early access bug?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Apparently there is a "world destroyer" bug. You didn't happen to exit the game previously using Alt-F4? That appears to be getting most of the blame.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:05 am Apparently there is a "world destroyer" bug. You didn't happen to exit the game previously using Alt-F4? That appears to be getting most of the blame.
Not that I remember. Seems like if it deletes a whole save file, it would delete the character too, no? My character was still there, the world was just gone.

Not a big deal either way, as I wasn't likely to spend much more time on it in Early Access. Now that I have a general sense of what all the hype is about, I'll revisit it sometime down the road once all the features, improvements, and bug fixes are actually in place.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:00 am
coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:05 am Apparently there is a "world destroyer" bug. You didn't happen to exit the game previously using Alt-F4? That appears to be getting most of the blame.
Not that I remember. Seems like if it deletes a whole save file, it would delete the character too, no? My character was still there, the world was just gone.

Not a big deal either way, as I wasn't likely to spend much more time on it in Early Access. Now that I have a general sense of what all the hype is about, I'll revisit it sometime down the road once all the features, improvements, and bug fixes are actually in place.
I've heard that's an issue, people are recommending backing up your worlds periodically.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:00 am
The character and world are independent saves. You can mix and match characters with worlds. If you are having trouble finding a specific resource in your world you can try making a new one and move your character back and forth. If you are really devious you can use this to avoid the portal restrictions on raw metals. Not that I know anyone that would do anything like that! Also there is a reddit dedicated to Valheim seeds to find that seed that has exactly what you need.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

One week and 30+ hours in, I'm really enjoying Valheim. It seems to have a great mix of survival and RPG systems that make it more interesting than most other survival games I've played. And I love the slow but steady pace of tech advancement. Summoning and defeating bosses to progress is challenging and gives the player a clear goal to work towards. Maintaining structural integrity while building with wood is finicky, but all in all this is already one of my all-time favorite survival games.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I went back and tried it again today, but with other people on a server. I was very very wrong and I freaking love the game. I had to pry myself away after a 4-5 hour stint. :lol: It's way more fun for me with other people as you can give tips and such. I'm an idiot when it comes to figuring out games like this so it makes all the difference. :horse:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jag

Post by Jag »

Bonemass down. Rank 4 Iron Mace took big chunks out of him. Poison resist mead is a must. Just kited him around a crypt and waited until he was out of his poison cloud. Moved onto the mountains. Having fun with the treasure finder.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Fire arrows to a trolls nuts is a very effective strategy. Just a public PSA. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Exciting times...just downed the elder boss. The fight was pretty easy overall, but I had prepared for it. Tactics below:
Spoiler:
-fire arrows [used 96- i counted]
-highest troll armor
-highest bow at this stage
-campfires around the spawn area (for it to step on & accumulated fire damage-) it seemed to spend the beginning stages stomping on these giving me vital time to get the Fire arrow DOTs going.
-a portal close by to escape to [ never used it]
-used 2 [ each] minor healing & minor stamina potions
-used the Elk forsaken power on the open to soak him with fire arrows

tactics: just circle around pelting him with arrows....move from roots on ground, and avoid the branches attack...hide behind the pillars when needed.
So i now have the swamp key and as luck would have it there is a swamp biome really close by. Going to go explore and maybe find some iron. really want to get into the masonry and get the next boat going.
-was deep in the bronze age and have 2 real forts going. One is next to the sea which will be my hub to explore. Its on this second island and close to the newly found samp biome.
-its amazing to watch the high tides in this game to wash up on shore. My little seaport is close to the ocean have seen 1 of my builindings partially flooded.
-still enjoying the game and taking my time with it. There is something really relaxing about running through the forest chopping wood, hunting game and picking raspeberries. Its also so easy to distract yourself and go for a run to just explore.
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So first foray into swamps was quite doable. My bow was able to hit the and down the mobs I came across. Am hunting hardcore now for IRON. Was able to get a few other mats but Irons the goal now...and need to find a few crypts for that.
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So I started running around the swamp...got chased...died a few times because I couldn't figure out where the land ended and the water started...sucks when you are running from a mob to only jump into the water and have leeches nip at your heels....SO...i decided to whip out my hoe and make a land bridge across the swamps. now, when I have to turn tail...have an easy path to follow out.
Bayraktar!!!!

Jag

Post by Jag »

One thing I didn't realize is how much skill improvement changes your gameplay. Higher skill really has a huge effect. For example, low bow skill level takes awhile to fully draw the bow, but at higher (the highest is 100) levels you can insta pull the bow and you get a damage buff. Higher jumping skill increases your jump height and stam usage. Basically at high levels you are practically a different character. It's a real RPG aspect of the game that isn't explained well. Also dying costs 5% of skills I think so that can really set you back if you are focusing on increasing skills.

There are ways to train and improve your skills. I found a really good explanation of skills here:
https://old.reddit.com/r/valheim/commen ... deep_dive/
Last edited by Jag on Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah once I had a skill in the 40s. No idea what high skill levels might look like. Exploring the plains and trying to track down the 5th boss has cost me a LOT of skill progress.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:55 pm Yeah once I had a skill in the 40s. No idea what high skill levels might look like. Exploring the plains and trying to track down the 5th boss has cost me a LOT of skill progress.
Once I got the Draugr Bow that does auto poison damage I really worked on my bow skills.