Valheim

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Valheim

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:56 pmI LOVED Subnautica, until it made me pee my pants. Haven't played since. :(
As someone with an inherent fear of deep water and not seeing what's below me, Subnautica made me squirm from start to finish - and in several places it was just "Nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope" as I shat my pants emotionally.

The more I hear you kids talking about this title, the more interested I become - but I'd also be a solo player unless I talked my 12 year old into it. Is it okay for kids? I'd have to check. Can't recall.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:14 pm How does this game handle travel?
Early game you walk/run/cry. There are 3 levels of boats as it is basically a bunch of islands/small continents. Mid game you will be building teleporters. Raw metals and metal bars can't go through teleporters so either you smith on site or go back to the boats.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:53 pm The more I hear you kids talking about this title, the more interested I become - but I'd also be a solo player unless I talked my 12 year old into it. Is it okay for kids? I'd have to check. Can't recall.
As long as you are ok with the violence, smashing non-human enemies and animals, and they are ok with dying (a lot), it's fine for kids.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:02 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:14 pm How does this game handle travel?
Early game you walk/run/cry. There are 3 levels of boats as it is basically a bunch of islands/small continents. Mid game you will be building teleporters. Raw metals and metal bars can't go through teleporters so either you smith on site or go back to the boats.
Cry?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

About all the walking/running. You will be traveling on foot a LOT. I guess it is mitigated somewhat by the very chill music and largely pastoral setting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:08 pm About all the walking/running. You will be traveling on foot a LOT.
Oh....lol.
Well, that may be a dealbreaker for me.
Does it break immersion in these types of games that much to not have fast travel?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The dangers of getting what you need where you need it safely is the heart of these survival games. After you beat the second boss you will get access to what you need to build teleporters and you can build all you want. Fast travel trivializes much of the game so there has to be some cost or tradeoff.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

This web site will decode your world seed and provide you a map of your world. Various details such as crypt locations, boss locations, and biomes can be toggled.

You can use it to preview word seeds if you are searching for something in specific.

http://valheim-map.world/
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

After finishing the second boss I've been scouring my world for a swamp with crypts. I was moving through a meadows area when I spotted a group of buildings in a clearing. I opened the door and found four
Spoiler:
draugr inside, including two archers
They killed me instantly and then camped my corpse. It's the first time I've ever felt like my gear was not recoverable and I don't understand why such high-level mobs were occupying space in the meadows. I wound up turning on god mode to get my stuff back.

I've been enjoying the exploration but between that and the beastie that will quickly one-shot you if you stray too close to a plains biome it's kind of killing my desire to play the game.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Exodor wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:09 am After finishing the second boss I've been scouring my world for a swamp with crypts. I was moving through a meadows area when I spotted a group of buildings in a clearing. I opened the door and found four
Spoiler:
They killed me instantly and then camped my corpse. It's the first time I've ever felt like my gear was not recoverable and I don't understand why such high-level mobs were occupying space in the meadows. I wound up turning on god mode to get my stuff back.

I've been enjoying the exploration but between that and the beastie that will quickly one-shot you if you stray too close to a plains biome it's kind of killing my desire to play the game.
Those guys surprised me, too. One of my favorite things to do is take over already build structures and repurpose them for my waypoints, so when I saw that entire village, I got excited. I had actually heard about the...inhabitants so I was a bit more prepared. If you notice, however, the village didn't appear in the starter zone of the Meadows, so I guess they were assuming you'd have good enough gear to survive the encounter? When I run into a situation like that where I'm afraid my gear is unrecoverable, I
Spoiler:
run that direction, picking up one each of the berries, mushrooms, and blueberries, on the way. Right before I make the run, I eat all three and wait for my health/stamina to peak out. Then I sprint in, grab my stuff, and run like hell. If I'm not mistaken, I think you can equip gear on the move, so right click on them as you run to add a little survival chance.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

After spending over a week fruitlessly searching for a swamp with crypts I gave up and googled a seed with a swamp relatively close to the spawn point.

I understand map seeds are RNG but it got very frustrating just wandering aimlessly - and for some reason the online "map viewer" sites seem incompatible with my seed. When I enter my seed the map generated is nothing like my actual game world.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I haven't been reading this thread, to avoid spoilers, so I apologize if this has been covered.

Any tips on finding the third boss? The game is getting grindy by the time I finished the swamp and mining my needs from the mountains, and now feel like I'm just sailing and running everywhere that has a mountain range, looking for a runestone. The last range was *huge*, but even it didn't have one. I suspect they are associated with the occasional stone structure, but I'm combing every little bit, and no luck. Feeling a bit burned out at this point.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Freyland wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:55 pm I haven't been reading this thread, to avoid spoilers, so I apologize if this has been covered.

Any tips on finding the third boss? The game is getting grindy by the time I finished the swamp and mining my needs from the mountains, and now feel like I'm just sailing and running everywhere that has a mountain range, looking for a runestone. The last range was *huge*, but even it didn't have one. I suspect they are associated with the occasional stone structure, but I'm combing every little bit, and no luck. Feeling a bit burned out at this point.
It took me a couple of smallish and several large mountain zones before I found him, to the point where I was completely geared out for the encounter. And I actually found his summon spot before I found a runestone that gives the location. The runestone was in a stone tower-like building. If you're really desperate you can use the website that reveals your seed. There are some options you can select to avoid some spoilers, but I avoided using it until I had killed the last boss.
abr

Post by abr »

Hyena wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:39 pm
Exodor wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:09 am After finishing the second boss I've been scouring my world for a swamp with crypts. I was moving through a meadows area when I spotted a group of buildings in a clearing. I opened the door and found four
Spoiler:

Those guys surprised me, too. One of my favorite things to do is take over already build structures and repurpose them for my waypoints, so when I saw that entire village, I got excited. I had actually heard about the...inhabitants so I was a bit more prepared. If you notice, however, the village didn't appear in the starter zone of the Meadows, so I guess they were assuming you'd have good enough gear to survive the encounter? When I run into a situation like that where I'm afraid my gear is unrecoverable, I
Spoiler:
run that direction, picking up one each of the berries, mushrooms, and blueberries, on the way. Right before I make the run, I eat all three and wait for my health/stamina to peak out. Then I sprint in, grab my stuff, and run like hell. If I'm not mistaken, I think you can equip gear on the move, so right click on them as you run to add a little survival chance.
Spoiler:
You can equip gear on the move, but it will slow you down, so might be dangerous with archers near. But you also get a massive buff ("corpse run" = extremely fast health and stamina regen and increased resistance against damage), rendering you quite hard to kill when you pick up (all!) of the stuff from your corpse.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

So - any feedback yet on the Hearth and Home update? I haven't yet had time to really explore it.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was bored so I started a clean play through with a new character on a new random map. Solo so far, with some hope my sone will join at some point, but he just started his ten thousandth game of Breath of the Wild, so might not happen. I'm about ready to take on the second boss. So far, feels the same as the first time through.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:29 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:58 pm Kid and I are pretty deep in a fresh Valheim run, but I will likely give this a try later on, when I'm bored on Christmas break. I saw a bit of gameplay on twitch and it looked interesting and I've liked the other steamworld games though they are all different so it doesn't mean this will be anything similar other than theme.
How do you play Valheim with him/her, co-operatively? I just bought it on sale a couple days ago and would love to play with my son. I'm on PC and he's on Xbox. We have a laptop and another desktop, both with pretty low end video cards, so not sure how, logistically, we could play together. If it matters just last night we decided to take the PS4 Pro out of the garage and hook it up in our main living area, so that could be another option if cross play, or whatever you call it, is possible. Cross...platform I guess.
It supports cross-play but I don't know if it works cross-platform. We both play on PC and it works pretty well with me hosting on the best PC. His PC is 5-6 years old but runs it fine. The graphics aren't that great so I imagine it should run on older stuff ok.

When you start the game you can choose to play local, host or join someone else. They force a password for hosted play.

For the record we have 3 gaming PCs and 3 copies of the game on Steam.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:56 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:29 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:58 pm Kid and I are pretty deep in a fresh Valheim run, but I will likely give this a try later on, when I'm bored on Christmas break. I saw a bit of gameplay on twitch and it looked interesting and I've liked the other steamworld games though they are all different so it doesn't mean this will be anything similar other than theme.
How do you play Valheim with him/her, co-operatively? I just bought it on sale a couple days ago and would love to play with my son. I'm on PC and he's on Xbox. We have a laptop and another desktop, both with pretty low end video cards, so not sure how, logistically, we could play together. If it matters just last night we decided to take the PS4 Pro out of the garage and hook it up in our main living area, so that could be another option if cross play, or whatever you call it, is possible. Cross...platform I guess.
It supports cross-play but I don't know if it works cross-platform. We both play on PC and it works pretty well with me hosting on the best PC. His PC is 5-6 years old but runs it fine. The graphics aren't that great so I imagine it should run on older stuff ok.

When you start the game you can choose to play local, host or join someone else. They force a password for hosted play.

For the record we have 3 gaming PCs and 3 copies of the game on Steam.
Thanks for that info.

Re: the last part, long shot question, but if anybody knows this it's probably you! :D I came across this in the BG3 forum on Steam, but I wonder would this work for other games as well? Is this game specific? The only other time we tried this was a few years ago, and I think I logged in online, on Steam on my desktop, then we went OFFLINE on my Steam account on the other PC, and we were able to play Civ V (local game, concurrently, or whatever the term is...I would play a turn on my PC, then he would wait on his PC while I played my turn, etc)
You can run the game without Steam if you run it directly from the executable. They made it function without DRM on purpose. Should be able to direct connect then

Mordiceius has Baldur's Gate 3 Aug 7 @ 2:23pm
Yeah. You do not need to purchase two copies to do LAN co-op. Install the game on both computers. One computer will be the host and the other will join. One can be using steam, but neither HAVE to use Steam. You can launch the game directly from the executable in the install folder, with no steam wrapping.
MCQueen2

Post by MCQueen2 »

Me and my friends are playing it. Great game! Initially, I was the one hosting games on my laptop, but it affected my performance. I mean, who wants to deal with lag and slowdowns when you're trying to take down a boss. So, I made the switch to a private server. I get a smoother gameplay now and don't have to worry about exhausting my laptop. In case someone needs one, I rent it from supercraft.host.
Last edited by MCQueen2 on Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MCQueen2 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:10 pm Me and my friends are playing it. Great game!
Welcome to the boards.
It's almost as if people are the problem.