Field of Glory II: Medieval

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Post by jztemple2 »

Field of Glory II Medieval has been released on Steam. It is also available on the Siltherine store. If you have the first game in the series, or want to get both, there is a bundle option that will save a few bucks on the Steam store, also the first game is on sale at 51% off at the Slitherine store.

Field of Glory II Medieval is a turn-based tactical game set in the High Middle Ages from 1040 AD to 1270 AD.

This was the heyday of the mounted knight. Armoured from head to toe by the later 12th century, European knights rode heavy horses in tight formation, and delivered a devastating charge with couched lances.

Major themes of the period include the struggles of the Kings of France against the Kings of England and the German Emperors, the English wars of conquest or attempted conquest against the Welsh, Scots and Irish, the Baltic Crusades and the Mongol invasion of Eastern Europe. With dynastic struggles and rebellions by powerful nobles thrown into the mix, Europe was in an almost constant state of war.

Field of Glory II Medieval allows you to take command of the armies of the Anglo-Saxons and Normans, post-conquest England, France, Germany, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, the Low Countries, the Free Cantons, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Bohemia, Poland, the Teutonic Knights, the pagan Old Prussians and Lithuanians, Russia, Hungary, the Cumans, Volga Bulgars and Mongols in an endless variety of battles and campaigns set in 11th-13th century North and Central Europe.
And that's not all:
But that's not all, a patch for Field of Glory II: Medieval will soon arrive and will allow all owners of the game to create their own “Time Warp”. Through this new feature it will be possible to create an infinite number of customized "what-if" battle situations that can be played against an AI or in multiplayer, making the armies of the ancient era collide with medieval ones. Have you ever wondered who would win the battle between the Carthaginians with their War Elephants and a handful of Teutonic knights? Soon you will have the chance to find out.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Re: Field of Glory II: Medieval

Post by dbt1949 »

I got it this morning but haven't played it yet. I believe they've tweaked the rules a little bit from Field of Glory 2.
I've watched some YouTube videos of it and it looks good.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

My ancients tactics don't seem to be working, I'm 0 for 3 so far.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The promised "Time Warp" patch has been released: Patch 1.0.2 - Time Warp
A new patch (v. 1.0.2) for Field of Glory II: Medieval has arrived and will allow all owners of the game to create their own “Time Warp”.

This new feature allows custom battles to be fought between Ancient armies and Medieval armies (or vice versa), and it will be possible to create an infinite number of customized "what-if" battle situations that can be played against an AI or in multiplayer.

Enlarge Image

So if you ever wanted to find out how Normans would have fared against Augustus’s legions, or Assyrians against Teutonic Knights, now is your chance.

Note that it will not be possible to create a fight between two Ancient armies.

To set up an anachronistic matchup you will need to click on the “Select another module” button (in the Custom Battle setup screen) and turn off the Date and Geographical filters in the Enemy Army List selection panel.

Bug Fixes:
• Fixed bug that allowed Player B in MP custom battles to move troops on first turn if he hit Cancel when the game asked if you wanted to end the turn and upload to the server.
• Fix bug that messed up the MP Kalka River epic battle scenario.
• Fixed bug that could cause duplicate general names in campaign battle if general’s unit dismounted before additional general added.
• Fixed bug that prevented geographical filter from working correctly in Sandbox Campaigns if player side was set as Pot Luck and enemy side was specified.
• Corrected some minor discrepancies in French and German translations.
• Added correct tooltips to Minimap options in Settings screen.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:37 am My ancients tactics don't seem to be working, I'm 0 for 3 so far.
Stuck in the past? :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Grifman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:07 pm
Archinerd wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:37 am My ancients tactics don't seem to be working, I'm 0 for 3 so far.
Stuck in the past? :)
I've started doing better, but formations seem to be less durable to me. I think part of it is the formations just have less men than their ancient conterparts.
Also, almost nothing is manuverable, so your initial deployment is even more important.

Knights may get all the glory, but in my experience (so far) the true workhorse seems to be crossbow men.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I do so well with the Mongols at first and then it's downhill all they way as I pull defeat out of the jaws of victory.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Been a while, hasn't it? Anyway, I've decided to pass on to the one or two of you that might actually be interested in this thread :wink: that the fourth DLC for Field of Glory II: Medieval has been released:

From the late 1300s some Swiss started to carry the long pike, at first as a minority weapon, the bulk of their soldiers still carrying the halberd. In 1422, a small Swiss army was beaten at Arbedo by a Milanese army containing a large number of men-at-arms, who dismounted after their initial mounted charge failed. It was noticed that the pikemen fared better in combat against dismounted men-at-arms than the halberdiers, due to the longer reach of their weapons.

From that time onwards the proportion of pikemen in Swiss armies was steadily increased, so that by the end of the fifteenth century it had become the dominant weapon. The halberd was only retained by a small number of experienced soldiers to defend the banners, and to break up an enemy's formation if the pike advance was halted.

The new Swiss system proved an astounding success on the battlefield: victorious in the Burgundian Wars, defeating the Holy Roman Empire in the Swabian War, and as mercenaries they were a key component of French King Charles VIII's armies in Italy. Soon pike formations were adopted in many western European countries, notably in Germany by the famous 'landsknechts'.
There is also a Field of Glory II: Medieval - Complete Bundle that lets you pick up the base game and the four DLC for a discount. And since it is a bundle you don't have to re-buy anything you already have.

Finally a little news in the Field of Glory 2 world. Word is that there will be one more DLC for Fog2:M, covering the Ottomans and their enemies. This will be followed by a final DLC for the original Field of Glory 2 game that will cover the Biblical time period of ~2000 BC to 601 BC. And then after that the developers will concentrate on a new version of Pike and Shot : Campaigns.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'll probably get this eventually. I saw where they downloaded it to my computer this morning.
I've seen a couple of youtubes on it. Looks more of the same.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:54 pm I'll probably get this eventually. I saw where they downloaded it to my computer this morning.
Wait you think about getting it and they forcefully gave it to you. Hot damn. :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:54 pm I'll probably get this eventually. I saw where they downloaded it to my computer this morning.
Someone asked about that in the Steam forum. One of the devs noted that there are new mechanics in this DLC covering Keils (mixed pikemen and heavy swordsmen or other heavy weapons) and also War Wagons. In the previous releases, the Storm of Arrows DLC included bowmen who could place and remove stakes, making temporary fortification for themselves.

This DLC does add new units and army lists. Also new historic battles, match-ups and campaigns. So in that respect it is more of the same. I've never really gotten into FoG2:M like I did the original Field of Glory 2. For some reason the Ancients period just appeals to me more. It's a shame that the Biblical DLC for the original game probably won't be out till next year.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I forgot to mention that the 1.4.6 update released today includes updated ebook and print friendly manuals for FoG2M. That's good since they've been making a lot of tweaks to the rules in the patch notes of the previous updates, this will finally bring all those updates together.

The original Field of Glory 2 will get a fully updated manual when they release the Biblical DLC.
luplay2

Post by luplay2 »

Amazing game
I will try it and thank you for sharing.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One of the videos I saw was about the war wagons and they were pretty cool. Another video was about the Swiss. The were non spectacular.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949