What games or series do you wish would get the Remaster/Remake treatment?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dobberhd

Re: What games or series do you wish would get the Remaster/Remake treatment?

Post by dobberhd »

I agree with a lot of those listed.

But number one for me is Gladius.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'd like to see the return of Tenchu. Give me a good old fashioned ninja game.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
raydude

Post by raydude »

Redfive wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:49 am Gunship 2000 or Jane's Longbow
Raid on Bungeling Bay
7 Cities of Gold (no way this gets done in 2021)
Re: Raid on Bungeling Bay, Raid on the Zone left Steam Early Access and was released in Sept 2020. I may have to check it out.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

dobberhd wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:20 am But number one for me is Gladius.

Oh wow.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

gbasden wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:37 am Crush, Crumble and Chomp - I've wanted a remake of this for 30 years.
Me too.

I was disappointed when They Came From Hollywood just fizzled out. It was looking very promising until it just dropped off the radar.

If you haven't looked at it, you might want to check out Kaiju-A-GoGo. It's not exactly a great game, but it does occasionally scratch my CC&C itch.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I had a lot of fun with Gladius, but it felt like a fairly slow and clumsy take on the tactics genre. I would absolutely love to see more western takes on the genre though, with various settings.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

There's an old BBS game I used to play as a kid called Barren Realms Elite.
...which appears to still be around and playable?
Barren Realms Elite is a 25-player strategic war game. The setting is in the future -- nuclear destruction has spread throughout the planet, and now only a vast barren void exists. As a baron under a great king, you must expand your barony throughout the planet and become the ultimate baron.

-Tons of strategic options for players such as maintaining natural resources, military, population, alliances and more.
-Completely inter-BBS capable allowing you to compete with up to 254 other bulletin board systems.
-Simple to learn, simple to play.
-Configurable either by the sysop or league coordinator in inter-BBS play.
-Much more!
Requires DOS 3.23+ or Windows, 212KB RAM and 1.2MB disk space. Bulletin board system software and modem recommended for multi-player play.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:14 am Requires DOS 3.23+ or Windows, 212KB RAM and 1.2MB disk space. Bulletin board system software and modem recommended for multi-player play.
The gall of some people. Do they think I'm made of money or something? That's almost an entire floppy.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember at Gone Gold when one of the developers used to come and pitch They came from Hollywood. Sounded like a good game at the time.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, Sparky was active here too for a little while, but she's long gone.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

raydude wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:22 pm Myth: The Fallen Lords. Real-time fantasy strategy with dwarves throwing exploding Molotov cocktails. The draw for me was that the game moved slowly enough to not be hectic but there was still an incredible amount of tension. Nothing like seeing a slow motion zombie line head slowly towards your troops.
Oh man, that was a good game. So frustrating, but so good. Nothing quite like your dwarf's molotov bouncing off a skeletons head and right back at the poor little midget, setting off a chain reaction that destroys your whole line. But you have about the same odds of being able to set up a row of satchel charges, wait for the undead to walk over them, then light 'em up and watch the chunks fly.

When I played it the first time, my computer was way underpowered for it, so levels took like five minutes to load, which made me very timid, as every time I screwed up, that's another five minute load time. Probably load instantly on modern hardware.

Best part, if you didn't get all your guys killed every mission, they'd carry over to the next missions with all their kills and XP (although it was never really clear to me exactly what benefits veterancy had, if any). Those pretend native american names on the Journeymen kind of bugged me ("Four Motion Bloody Jaguar", "Eight Wind Thrusting Tiger" etc), so I renamed one of those guys "Three Penis Bul" (the last l didn't fit due to name length limitations), and he made it quite a ways through the campaign, up until the game switched to one of those hero missions and then all my veteran units disappeared. But the memory of Three Penis Bul, his mandrake roots, and his whacking the undead upside the head with a shovel lives on.

And yeah, one of the best things about it was the ability to go into slow-motion so you could have a little time to direct your dudes around.

Not really sure what I'd want from a re-master. All the terrain textures were super washed out, so maybe fix that up. The sprites were kind of uh, rough, even for sprites. Maybe replace them with 3D models like that shitty prequel Myth game did ("Wolf Age" or something?). But keep the chunks and the slo-mo. Maybe add some rag dolls for the rare case when a body stays intact. Music and narration needs to stay identical.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If they are bringing back Starfleet II: Krellan Commander, I'd like to see Starfleet 1 brought back as well. :D

Gunship 2000 should be easy with today's tech. GUNSHIP! the supposedly sequel was not good at all.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

On the one hand, I do appreciate that Steam lists the release date as 1 Oct, 1989. On the other hand, I have absolutely no desire to play a game with an ASCII user interface from 1989.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:58 am
If you haven't looked at it, you might want to check out Kaiju-A-GoGo. It's not exactly a great game, but it does occasionally scratch my CC&C itch.
Thanks! I'll check it out!
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

raydude wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:34 am
Redfive wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:49 am Gunship 2000 or Jane's Longbow
Raid on Bungeling Bay
7 Cities of Gold (no way this gets done in 2021)
Re: Raid on Bungeling Bay, Raid on the Zone left Steam Early Access and was released in Sept 2020. I may have to check it out.
Whoa.

I spent a lot of time with RoBB, to the point where somewhere in my many boxes of old papers are handwritten copies of each variation of the end-game news article.
Conform or be cast out!
raydude

Post by raydude »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:05 pm
OMG, I completely forgot who developed this game until I clicked on it in Steam. Trevor Sorensen! He was the Program Manager for the MSTI-3 satellite, for which I worked as my first job out of grad school. I remember talking to him after he found out a co-worker and I played computer games and we talked about Star Fleet 1 and 2. I remember being floored when I found out he wrote those games!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, looks like he's still at it!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The Movies, which was made by Lionhead, the masters of almost making a good game.

A new version would present you with a completely unlocked movie studio with all resources immediately available. You could spend all your time just making movies(that's what I'd do) or you could play the tycoon mode. In that mode it'd be more like a game and you might have scenarios with individual goals to accomplish.

Here's the key bit: In the original, the virtual actors had set animations. For instance, you might have a 'walk into the room' animation. The problem was that you could not alter their 'acting'. If the animation is walking calmly into the room then that's all they'd do. If you wanted them to walk in laughing, too bad. You could hack the text files that set the animations and sort of copy/paste commands from separate animations to create a new, custom animation but that was tedious and time consuming and you still couldn't have complete control of the actor.

In a remake I'd want them to include an easy to use tool to change acting animations. They could create a large selection of pre-made animations and you'd just choose from the ones you want, place them in the order you wanted(ie direct the action) and the game would do the rest. Something like the posing and facial expression control available in Garry's Mod is what I mean, except this is for full motion characters.

Source Filmmaker is pretty cool but it is the movie game equivalent of Photoshop and I'm looking for the movie game equivalent of PaintNet.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:07 am The Movies, which was made by Lionhead, the masters of almost making a good game.

A new version would present you with a completely unlocked movie studio with all resources immediately available. You could spend all your time just making movies(that's what I'd do) or you could play the tycoon mode. In that mode it'd be more like a game and you might have scenarios with individual goals to accomplish.

Here's the key bit: In the original, the virtual actors had set animations. For instance, you might have a 'walk into the room' animation. The problem was that you could not alter their 'acting'. If the animation is walking calmly into the room then that's all they'd do. If you wanted them to walk in laughing, too bad. You could hack the text files that set the animations and sort of copy/paste commands from separate animations to create a new, custom animation but that was tedious and time consuming and you still couldn't have complete control of the actor.

In a remake I'd want them to include an easy to use tool to change acting animations. They could create a large selection of pre-made animations and you'd just choose from the ones you want, place them in the order you wanted(ie direct the action) and the game would do the rest. Something like the posing and facial expression control available in Garry's Mod is what I mean, except this is for full motion characters.

Source Filmmaker is pretty cool but it is the movie game equivalent of Photoshop and I'm looking for the movie game equivalent of PaintNet.

You know, it would make for a pretty cool VR game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:20 am

You know, it would make for a pretty cool VR game.
I'd finally have a use for that mocap room I built!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:05 pm
For those who are interested in the game, Space Game Junkie has your back.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My three most anticipated games of 2021 are all remakes/remasters:

- Mass Effect Legendary Edition
- Nier Reincarnation
- Diablo II remake (likely not a 2021 release, but here's hoping)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:20 amYou know, it would make for a pretty cool VR game.
I didn't think of that, but yeah it would be cool. You could direct your movie from right there on the set. You could walk over to the editing bay to edit your movie while your virtual assistants did things like bring you coffee. It would be funny to be drinking virtual coffee on a virtual set while editing a virtual movie while surrounded by virtual people.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm excited for the D2 remake, but I'm concerned it will have fewer features/be less interesting than the private servers/mods we already have.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Formix

Post by Formix »

I agree with so so many of the choices here, and the only 2 I would like that I haven't seen yet are Ultima 4 and TA:Kingdoms. I spent probably thousands of hours on those 2.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm sold on Starfleet II.
It still amazes me there aren't more capital ship simulator games.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Myth The Fallen Lords. I would murder someone to get it made. :)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I could use a trilogy I suppose of the old Star Trek adventure games 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites. They got me all hyped with Vulcan Fury then failed to deliver. That load is still waiting to be shot.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

The original Dungeon Keeper. Loved that game. The concept was unique.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mentioning it an another thread made me realize another game series that's been gone too long:

Kohan.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Torfish wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:44 am The original Dungeon Keeper. Loved that game. The concept was unique.
There have been an number of attempts to capture that same magic (Dungeon 1-3, War for the Overworld), but none of them have quite gotten it right. WftO is probably closest(right down to the same voice actor), but even that seems to be missing...something.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Remakes/Reboots

Jagged Alliance
Buck Rogers RPG
Star Wars: Rebellion
Falcon 4.0
M1Abrams
Close Combat II
Balance of Power
Knights of the Old Republic
Alpha Centauri
Homeworld
Front Page Sports Football
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Imperialism 2
Star Wars: Rebellion
Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
Warlords 3 (not that I'm not enjoying the old version in our MP game)
Lord of the Realms 2
Reach for the Stars (the original)
D&D: War of the Lance (the Dragonlance war from the original trilogy of books)
D&D: Fantasy Empires
Star Fleet Command 2

Oh, and left off the most important one...

TIME TO PLAY ANY OF THESE GAMES!!!
raydude

Post by raydude »

Microsoft Games' Allegiance - a mutiplayer space sim w/ RTS (for the commander spot). For the remake I think they should increase the player count, add the ability to play against AI (commander and his ships), and put in a tutorial - because there is a lot going on in the game.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I was thinking the other day how cool it would be to have an updated, online version of Archon. Maybe with a bunch of different sides (rather than just black or white) that really varied in strategy and how they fought. Seems like there must be something out there like that...

In that same vein: Mail Order Monsters.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Another one just occurred to me...

Mail Order Monsters

There was a Wii game that sort of gave me a similar feel that I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel and counting that: Monster Lab
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:48 pm Another one just occurred to me...

Mail Order Monsters

There was a Wii game that sort of gave me a similar feel that I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel and counting that: Monster Lab
Wait, did I like see R-W's post but just not really see it and make that post. Now I am questioning reality.

I think I may have been converted into a copy/paste bot!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My brother and I played Archon and Mail Order Monsters constantly when little. I'd be in for those two. Lots of good suggestions in this thread!