Star Wars: Squadrons

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

pr0ner

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons

Post by pr0ner »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:42 am
Holman wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:35 pm I suppose I could watch the gameplay trailer again, but I'm lazy and I'll just ask: is it clear that single-player campaign missions aren't limited to a small number of AI ships? Are we sure they'll have significantly more than the 5 v 5 fighters of the multiplayer game?
FYI it's not just going to be 10 ships flying around in multiplayer. They've said there will be some number of AI ships added to the mix to make the battles more populated.
I think AI ships have been in the PvP space battles in the last two Star Wars Battlefronts as well.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It doesn't look like this has been posted before.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Heh, that guy sounds like he's new to gaming. Or at least talking to people who are.
I no longer post here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The graphics and the systems and the attention to detail all look wonderful.

My concern after watching the recent gameplay videos is that everything is too busy and packed too close together. I don't want to feel like I'm circle-strafing in an asteroid field; I want to make long slashing passes with lots of open empty space to work with. The original X-Wing/TIE Fighter games were great at this.

Also--and I have to believe this is something that will be rectified in DLC--how can they give us an engine with X-Wings and Y-Wings and TIE Fighters and *not* include a Death Star assault??
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:47 am Heh, that guy sounds like he's new to gaming. Or at least talking to people who are.
Thats JackFrags. He is very not new to gaming. Been watching him for years and years. Not as much lately. He is considered a pro. My guess is he is paid.

Still looks like a simple shooter to me. Like games from the last 20 years that EA has shoved out.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:23 pm
Also--and I have to believe this is something that will be rectified in DLC--how can they give us an engine with X-Wings and Y-Wings and TIE Fighters and *not* include a Death Star assault??
Well, it's set between Jedi and TFA, so not a lot of Death Stars around.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm not a twitch watcher, but I could see watching good teams play this game.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:23 am
Yeah, but X-Wings over the Death Star were everyone's first love, and the designers could easily declare a retro or throwback scenario.

Don't you want it?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:26 am
Yeah, but X-Wings over the Death Star were everyone's first love, and the designers could easily declare a retro or throwback scenario.

Don't you want it?
I mean, it would be great. Presumably they'd need to switch the TIEs to the shield-less versions, which could be amusing.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 am
Holman wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:26 am

Don't you want it?
I mean, it would be great. Presumably they'd need to switch the TIEs to the shield-less versions, which could be amusing.

How many times do we want to replay that? I was in the alpha (or was it beta) and the game is fun and very focused. I'm looking forward to the single player side which I know is not the focus.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 pm
Still looks like a simple shooter to me. Like games from the last 20 years that EA has shoved out.
It's got power balancing, multiple ship classes, different loadouts, adjusting shields and an advanced tug of war mode where targeting specific ship parts. Not to mention the single player campaign. What do you feel is missing?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The problem with space missions is that designers throw in too much stuff too close together. I wrote about this problem back in the days of FreeSpace. Apparently they still haven’t learned.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
JCC

Post by JCC »

So apparently this is only going to cost $40! (Sorry if this has already been mentioned in the thread.)

"We always look at the games and we want to make sure we are providing the greatest value for our players," Jorgensen said. "And, you know, games all have [a] different scale, and most of our games right now have [a] huge scale. We designed [Squadrons] to really focus on what we heard from consumers, which is one of their greatest fantasies, and that's to be able to fly an X-Wing fighter, a Tie Fighter, and be in a dogfight. And so it doesn't have the breadth of some of our games, but it is still an incredible game, and so that's why we chose to price it at a slightly lower level, to also allow access to as many people as possible who have that Star Wars fantasy."

(via Gamespot)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
raydude

Post by raydude »

My takeaways from watching the gameplay video:

1. No 3rd person view. It's all in first person. No aim assist or lead indicators. Also, looks like JackFrags was able to do freelook to look around the cockpit. This suggests there is no system telling you you are being fired at other than seeing blaster fire go past your cockpit or hearing your ship get hit. Certainly looks like there is no system to tell you you are being tailed.

Another implication of this is you need to have situational awareness of how far your starship extends past your view, so you can do death defying feats like skimming between asteroids or flying close to capital ships.

2. Fleet battles is PvP 5v5 or PVE vs. AI. There are AI fighters and AI light cruisers and corvettes. Destruction of which can also swing morale over to your side. The fact that there is PVE is a good sell for me. Sometimes I just want to join a pickup game and not have to worry about getting smoked by a squad that plays together every night.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:18 pm
It's got power balancing, multiple ship classes, different loadouts, adjusting shields and an advanced tug of war mode where targeting specific ship parts. Not to mention the single player campaign. What do you feel is missing?
A soul. It appears to be a souless graphics display. No true campaign and a single player most likely bots like BF and others . Wouldn't pay $5 for in 3 years. If someone ever makes a true SW sim again Ill be all over it. Until then Ill just play stuff from the 90s.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Who needs that hokey religion? There’s no match for a good blaster at your side.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I love everything about this game except for the graphics. It's supposed to be in space, so why is there a serious lack of empty space? It looks like JJ Abrams puked nebulae, space glitter and contrails onto the screen.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 pm
A soul. It appears to be a souless graphics display. No true campaign and a single player most likely bots like BF and others . Wouldn't pay $5 for in 3 years. If someone ever makes a true SW sim again Ill be all over it. Until then Ill just play stuff from the 90s.
Battlefields Bad Company (1 and 2), 3, 4, Hardline, 1, and 5 all had campaigns of various sorts, as did Star Wars Battlefront II.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 pm
Battlefields Bad Company (1 and 2), 3, 4, Hardline, 1, and 5 all had campaigns of various sorts, as did Star Wars Battlefront II.
I think he might mean that while they do have single-player campaigns, they're more setup as a multiplayer framework and have just about as much depth as a multiplayer game. Meaning you more or less go through the same motions you would as part of multiplayer game, with the same game mechanics, with nothing much beyond that as they're clearly designed for multiplayer first.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm looking forward to this, even if it's probably not going to be perfect. With any luck modders will be able to make more out of it if it's lacking at release.

Also excited it's marked on Steam as having VR support.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I had been skipping over this since pretty much everything EA touches is a blatant money grab, but that video actually got me excited. Looking forward to how it is received on launch.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hera needs you focused and ready to go: Star Wars Squadrons release single player preview
All right, Star Wars Rebels fans, I heard you squeal through the internet when Hera showed up in the new Star Wars Squadrons single player preview. If you haven't seen it yet, take a look:

The single player mode in Squadrons promises to flip back and forth, with the player alternating between playing as the Empire and the Rebels (because as we all know, there were heroes on both sides).

Star Wars: Squadrons is prepping for release on October 2nd. For more information on Squadrons' single player campaign, check out the new Star Wars: Squadrons Pilot Briefing here.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rebel scum.

It is neat they named a Imperial squadron after me :)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This might be the first game I've ever preordered. I'm excited to play this tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've played a good Star Wars simulator. A long time. It's time for the Y-Wing to shine!
stessier

Post by stessier »

McNutt wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:54 am This might be the first game I've ever preordered. I'm excited to play this tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've played a good Star Wars simulator. A long time. It's time for the Y-Wing to shine!
Just be warned that the PC VR experience is quite buggy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:06 am
McNutt wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:54 am This might be the first game I've ever preordered. I'm excited to play this tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've played a good Star Wars simulator. A long time. It's time for the Y-Wing to shine!
Just be warned that the PC VR experience is quite buggy.
Maybe by the time it shows up on EA Play via GamePass.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

The IGN was review was weird. For every praise the guy would try to give, there was always a "but" attached to it. Too me I don't think he liked it, but had to give it a good score. It's like he didn't want to ruffle any feathers.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

naednek wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:25 am The IGN was review was weird. For every praise the guy would try to give, there was always a "but" attached to it. Too me I don't think he liked it, but had to give it a good score. It's like he didn't want to ruffle any feathers.
Huh, I didn't get that vibe at all. Sounded to me like he really enjoyed the single player campaign, but that it has a few issues.

I'm really looking forward to this one. May even double-dip (PS4 and PC) so I can use my HOTAS, but will wait a bit to see whether the PC version is as buggy as some say.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder how well this would play on an XBox One with a controller? Definitely don't have a PC that could handle this, but I'm skeptical that a joystick purchase would make it through the house requisitions committee.
Black Lives Matter.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:19 pm I wonder how well this would play on an XBox One with a controller? Definitely don't have a PC that could handle this, but I'm skeptical that a joystick purchase would make it through the house requisitions committee.
I'm expecting it to work better with a controller than a HOTAS since I'm assuming it was designed with controllers in mind first. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw worked okay with HOTAS, but I was kind of forcing it to work for me. I probably would have had a smoother experience playing it with a controller if I wasn't being stubborn about sticking to HOTAS.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Played the first two story missions and the Fleet Battles tutorial. First impressions are absolutely fantastic.

Would love to hear feedback from anyone who is playing with a HOTAS setup. Seriously considering double-dipping.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Picked up a PS4 copy on my way to work, hopefully just doing a halfday :)

I haven't played a space sim since the old X-Wing days but my current PC falls short on the CPU requirement so I'll give it a shot on a console. Hopefully I can unlearn playing on a proper joystick.
Carpet_pissr

Star Wars: Squadrons

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote:It's been a long time since I've played a good Star Wars simulator.
Have you played SW:Battlefront 2? Got that for my son (*cough*) on PS4 and while not a simulator with systems, et al, was extremely immersive (and beautiful, especially with HDR enabled on PS4pro)

I was blown away by the attention to detail, and just the fun factor of being able to fly all the different ships.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Looking forward to hearing some single player impressions since I don’t have Playstation Plus. Sounds quite pretty and shiny!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Did the first couple of story missions last night, on PC. I don't have a HOTAS, just Logitech 3D Extreme.

Just a few quick hits until I can get more time in this weekend:

-pretty much nails the star wars vibe. Sounds, music (soo good), visuals.
-first couple of missions, as one might expect, are very much tutorials, but does a good job of integrating it with the story
- I will likely have to do some key re-mapping. We didn't have joystick twist back in the day and that defaults to roll left / right. This was the most disorienting part. I found myself having to twist to the right on the stick while pushing the stick to the left to keep from continuously rolling in a circle while turning. I'm used to the old style where joystick left and right = roll and then you pull back on the stick to turn, like an airplane.
- There were some nods to gameplay that kind of break the immersion. TIEs (and rebel ships) have 'hull repair packs' that can be deployed. This gets you past the 3-4 hits and you die factor but doesn't fit with what 'we all know' about TIEs and their frailty. I can see it more from the rebel side but they should call it 'Astromech repair' or something.
- U wings are rebel support ships. They can resupply missiles by dropping them in space for you to fly over like a power up.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've played one mission and have to agree with Redfive. First impression is very positive. I'm also using the Logitech 3D extreme and I need to remap a lot of the flight controls.

So far so good.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If anyone is looking to team up for cross-platform runs, my EA ID is Skinypupy (that's my PSN name as well).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Redfive wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:58 am Did the first couple of story missions last night, on PC. I don't have a HOTAS, just Logitech 3D Extreme.

Just a few quick hits until I can get more time in this weekend:

-pretty much nails the star wars vibe. Sounds, music (soo good), visuals.
-first couple of missions, as one might expect, are very much tutorials, but does a good job of integrating it with the story
- I will likely have to do some key re-mapping. We didn't have joystick twist back in the day and that defaults to roll left / right. This was the most disorienting part. I found myself having to twist to the right on the stick while pushing the stick to the left to keep from continuously rolling in a circle while turning. I'm used to the old style where joystick left and right = roll and then you pull back on the stick to turn, like an airplane.
- There were some nods to gameplay that kind of break the immersion. TIEs (and rebel ships) have 'hull repair packs' that can be deployed. This gets you past the 3-4 hits and you die factor but doesn't fit with what 'we all know' about TIEs and their frailty. I can see it more from the rebel side but they should call it 'Astromech repair' or something.
- U wings are rebel support ships. They can resupply missiles by dropping them in space for you to fly over like a power up.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Loving it so far. There are some differences, but this definitely gets close to the old X-Wing series in terms of gameplay and visually looks amazing, especially the cap ships.

There are some issues with VR, but on the whole it works pretty good for me. Framerates are fine. Only real issues are the back ground images seem very fuzzy, and last night when I played the targeting reticule wasn't matching up with things on screen which made the first missions a lot harder, but haven't seen that bug again since playing today. Otherwise it feels fantastic to sit in the cockpit of an X-Wing and tear around the galaxy. I felt like a fanboi when I saw Wedge for the first time. :P

Planning on getting some fleet battles with some of my friends in tonight, so we'll see how multiplayer goes.