Desperados III

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

persself

Desperados III

Post by persself »

Downloading now; I loved the previous games in the series, as well as Commandos series, so I'm hyped.
Last edited by persself on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
YellowKing

Re: Desperados III Demo on GOG

Post by YellowKing »

I played through a good portion of it and it's exactly what I wanted. Just an updated, polished version of the original series. Really liking what I see so far.
persself

Post by persself »

Making my way through the demo mission, and having a blast. I concur with YellowKing.

Looks great, but then I haven't played on a newer laptop in at least 5 years, so most everything has me ogling the graphics.
persself

Post by persself »

Forgot to mention GOG and Steam have the deluxe preorderd version for $49.99, which is the same price as standard version.

Deluxe includes season pass for 3 DLC's due this year, consisting of new missions.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

This was made by the team that did Shadow Tactics. I've been looking forward to it for a while.
persself

Post by persself »

Lordnine wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:03 pm This was made by the team that did Shadow Tactics.
And I just played the demo of that and loved it. So there's another game added to my list; thanks for calling attention to it...I think !! :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
persself

Post by persself »

Yay for the good review...I had preordered game last week. Releases on Tuesday, per Steam.
persself

Post by persself »

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Forgot it’s coming out later today! Best be getting to preordering it!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Downloaded and playing the train mission now. I'll admit, it took me a few attempts to get into ST:BotS. Once I figured out that the saves were generous and that I could change my mindset to "fail, then fail better" I loved it. They basically say it out loud here and I'm enjoying it immensely. Early moments but fun so far.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
persself

Re: Desperados III

Post by persself »

That train mission was/is the demo.

Having great fun, even if I already played the mission via demo before...at least it isn't taking hours to play through it this time.

Edit to say I renamed the thread.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

I'm tempted but only have a PS4 available at the moment, not a PC. I played Shadow Tactics (this is from that team, right?) on the PC and liked it (but it was difficult in parts) and I have trouble seeing how this would work with a gamepad/controller instead of mouse. Does anyone (who has played Shadow Tactics on a console, for example) have any feedback?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I played the first couple missions tonight. It is well made, and I enjoyed my time, but I have a couple complaints.

The first is that it is too much like Shadow Tactics. That might be an odd complaint given that I loved Shadow Tactics, but this feels almost like a reskin instead of a full new game. So far, two of the character kits are pretty much carbon copies. The other issue is that I just don’t feel like the characters are as well written/interesting.

Now if you never played Shadow Tactics, or just prefer cowboys to ninjas this shouldn’t be much of an issue but I was hoping to see a little bit more new ground here given that it has been quite a while since ST came out.

I still intend to play through though. Hopefully, the next couple missions introduce some new mechanics to spice things up.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I am about 8 missions in now. I just got to play a really fun mission with a new character named Isabelle who has revitalized my interest. She is a voodoo practitioner who can link enemies together before attacking, allowing her to kill both at the same time. This allows for some really awesome plays as you can kill soldiers on opposite sides of a clearing with impunity. I've seen this before in Dishonored II but it really opens up the game here in Desperados.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I finished the game a couple nights ago. I've got to say the second half of the game is a lot more compelling than the first and bumped my overall impression up quite a bit. The game really shines when it lets you use all of the characters in a mission, perhaps more so than Shadow Tactics. The last couple missions are particularly fun as your roaming death squad just pours through a level systematically removing all obstacles.

A few points:
+ When you get to use all characters in a level it is great fun.
+ Story picks up in second half of the game.
+ There are a ton of levels.
+ Memorable final encounter.

- Maybe a few too many levels. The early ones are a bit forgettable.
- Levels are a little too puzzle box feeling at times.
- Characters take a while to come into their own.
- I still prefer the stealthy feel of Shadow Tactics over the more bombastic combat here.