Mafia Trilogy Remastered

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

naednek

Re: Mafia Trilogy Remastered

Post by naednek »

uh oh.. first review i've seen doesn't look promising

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mafia- ... 0-6417570/

Seems like his complaints are based on reviewing a ~20 year old game and comparing it to today's standards. Ya, you're going to see issues as games have involved greatly since then.

I remember when the original came out in 2002 how the AI was impressive (for the time) and the story telling was superb (still is I think)

I don't think I would knock any points for how it plays in 2020. I view this as a graphical update rather than a overhaul of every system in the game.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am generally anti-nostalgia, but I am pretty sure nostalgia will blind me to any such issues in this case. I'll know before long. I'm kind of mad I can't play it more than a quick peek this evening.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, there will always be critical reviews. Sometimes I even feel reviewers will rush to try to be the first critical strike. That review strikes me as not knowing what they actually want out of a game. The original game by today's standards was very rough and clunky, and it's easy to forget that it didn't even have a cover system that's so common these days, so to complain that the gameplay systems are not as modernized as they should be is a little silly. I would think anything would be considered a huge improvement over what 2002 offered. They also speak of linearity, but seem to forget the original game was also very linear, and maybe even moreso. In the end, if the game shines because of its story, then I'd say mission accomplished, as that's what was the strong point was in the original.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, my pre-order key came from GMG this afternoon so I'm committed :D. I'll try to get in some gameplay this evening and post some impressions.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm not sure when I'll be getting it. Maybe soonish, but I'll be playing it on PS4.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:13 pm The original game by today's standards was very rough and clunky, and it's easy to forget that it didn't even have a cover system that's so common these days, so to complain that the gameplay systems are not as modernized as they should be is a little silly
After 20 years of the model popularized by GTA III, they don't seem to realize that this game released at about the same time and without all of the followups to build off of.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Steam download is FUBAR. only 723MB and game doesn't launch.

edit: appears to be fixed now, 36GB downloading
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:07 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:13 pm The original game by today's standards was very rough and clunky, and it's easy to forget that it didn't even have a cover system that's so common these days, so to complain that the gameplay systems are not as modernized as they should be is a little silly
After 20 years of the model popularized by GTA III, they don't seem to realize that this game released at about the same time and without all of the followups to build off of.

That too. There have been so many improvements over the last 20 years. GTA games have had incremental improvements over its sequels and it's easy to lose sight of the fact that the original Mafia almost had none of what would eventually become genre staples. As good as it was, instead of a cover system which would only come much later, it was a clumsy duck and roll, which gamers now would likely complain about. It also didn't have any minimap. So, when I hear complaints like in that review that it doesn't have enough modern gameplay elements, I have to wonder if they're expecting the kitchen sink. I mean, what the heck? The game just received a huge facelift, having been reworked from the ground up. They could have just as easily remastered the 20 year old game and left it at that, but they didn't. The game just entered the 21st century!

It'd be like if the original Fallout were being remade from the ground up with modern features, but then complain that it's not modern enough.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I decided to start a new thread just for Mafia: Definite Edition so folks can look for impressions and post questions there.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mafia had a minimap, it just didn't have streets on it. It was a circle that showed traffic, cops, and objectives.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
naednek

Post by naednek »

not sure why we need two posts but whatever. I'm waiting for christmas on this. I have star wars squadron next week and cyberpunk next month, and possibly a ps5 if i can convince the wife. I got in the preorder list @ sony for tomorrow.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:01 am Mafia had a minimap, it just didn't have streets on it. It was a circle that showed traffic, cops, and objectives.
Well, OK, I'll revise my statement and say it didn't have a modern-style minimap with GPS-style navigation. If you wanted to see where you were going, you had to hit the map screen which obscured your entire screen. Other than that, a lot of it was guess-work and memorization of the streets.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti