Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Redfive

Re: Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

Post by Redfive »

Stessier and Zenn7 please read in game notes!
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:29 pm Stessier and Zenn7 please read in game notes!
Woot!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Moscow has Fallen.

The attack on Moscow was wild, when my units missed they missed by a mile. First 2 rounds I rolled Six & five 6's with my armor. Rolled one 1 the entire battle.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:08 am Moscow has Fallen.

The attack on Moscow was wild, when my units missed they missed by a mile. First 2 rounds I rolled Six & five 6's with my armor. Rolled one 1 the entire battle.
One or two more turns and we would have had it! All you had to do was hold on that long!

(Says the guy who lost India too soon, setting us up for failure early).
stessier

Post by stessier »

No, my bad. I've got a number of notes on mistakes I made and to try and avoid them next time. Sorry.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:18 am No, my bad. I've got a number of notes on mistakes I made and to try and avoid them next time. Sorry.
the lone armor holding out against the attack in Caucasus enabled me to press forward with the attack. With 13 russians vs 12 germans I liked my odds, if it had been 16 or 17 defending, I would have attacked Karelia instead and then Moscow the next turn when my large infantry and artillery force wold have arrived on the front line.

I tried a new approach this game. Slow moving units my first turn, then armor the second turn, with the hopes they'd all meet up at the same time. My opportunity came a round sooner than I thought though so not sure how that strategy would have played out.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

My ranked online game w/ the UK buying BB's in India - they are largely focusing on Japan.

But if Russia fails, I figure I still have a good chance of winning.

The critical moment, 18 tanks, 3 infantry, 2 artillery, 3 fighters and bomber hit Russia's 19 infantry, 2 arty, 5 fighters and the AA gun.

The AA gun roll 2 1's taking out 2 fighters. Thinking that's probably a bad sign. I'm correct.
4 2's did get 1 hit. 19 3's - 6 hits. And the bomber hit.

How does he fair? 21 2's - hit's with 9 of them. Don't even remember how many of his fighters hit.

But I kept going, it was all or nothing at this point.

I had even moved up 6 Japanese tanks for the finishing blow in case Germany just missed it.

But no, the dice sucked terribly. They still has 5 Infantry, in addition to the 2 arty, 5 fighters. 6 tanks couldn't do anything.

I was kinda PO'd. First ranked game I forfeited.

US took Manchuria and the only mainland Japanese factory, UK sunk the Japanese fleet, they were going down fast. So there really was no hope.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I see UK tried to take out Berlin in a somewhat surprise move. I thought they'd go for Finland and US then reinforce, or weaken the West coast of Europe for a potential US invasion. I guess if it had succeeded though it would have been a big boost for the UK IPCs.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

211 IPCs lost around the Phillipines - 62 Japanese, 149 US / UK.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:55 pm I see UK tried to take out Berlin in a somewhat surprise move. I thought they'd go for Finland and US then reinforce, or weaken the West coast of Europe for a potential US invasion. I guess if it had succeeded though it would have been a big boost for the UK IPCs.
And a big drain on Germany's war ability. Not just lost IPC, but no production for that round. But alas, the dice hate me in most of my games lately. A few good rolls but probably 50% average, 33% bad rolls.

Bad rolls = my bad, other side good.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:53 pm
Lassr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:55 pm I see UK tried to take out Berlin in a somewhat surprise move. I thought they'd go for Finland and US then reinforce, or weaken the West coast of Europe for a potential US invasion. I guess if it had succeeded though it would have been a big boost for the UK IPCs.
And a big drain on Germany's war ability. Not just lost IPC, but no production for that round. But alas, the dice hate me in most of my games lately. A few good rolls but probably 50% average, 33% bad rolls.

after looking again, smarter move than I thought. When I moved my inf and artillery to NW Europe I meant to leave 1 of each back in Berlin to strengthen the defense. I just realized that I moved them all to NW Europe. So Berlin was a little weaker than I meant it to be.

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:25 pm 211 IPCs lost around the Phillipines - 62 Japanese, 149 US / UK.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Wow, haven't looked at the turn yet but can't believe it went that poorly for the allies.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Ready to forfeit that game. Only a matter of time before Phillipines are retaken and that's all you need.

Good game.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:28 pm

after looking again, smarter move than I thought. When I moved my inf and artillery to NW Europe I meant to leave 1 of each back in Berlin to strengthen the defense. I just realized that I moved them all to NW Europe. So Berlin was a little weaker than I meant it to be.
It was a our last best chance for victory. With all the IPC from Russia and no threat/focus on Russia, you could buy up defenses we would never penetrate. And we were not trying to take Japan down, just hold their fleet off. Which failed miserably.

Best I can do is try again for Germany, assuming you don't sink my navy. And that's not a likely successful venture with your reinforcements you will add, and my no longer having air support.

Think Redfive's right, we can forfeit, though as always, I will stick around and play it out longer if the Axis like.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Good job Redfive on taking Germany. I realized at the end of my turn I'd goofed in not repairing the industrial complex at all and leaving it underdefended. Thought you just might do what you did.

Was about ready to concede, but realized that I could likely retake it, and take Russia out.

Success on both fronts with enough left over I think I will hold both until my next turn.

Now, to see what you do with all your fat loot from Germany. :)
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

It won't be enough, limited the capital cities to their IPC worth of production is probably the change that I miss most from the old game. I couldn't spend all the money and I really needed to.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Redfive wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:07 pm Ready to forfeit that game. Only a matter of time before Phillipines are retaken and that's all you need.

Good game.
I'm now America and Russia. It does appear hopeless - are we playing it out or Forfeiting?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

stessier wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:45 am
Redfive wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:07 pm Ready to forfeit that game. Only a matter of time before Phillipines are retaken and that's all you need.

Good game.
I'm now America and Russia. It does appear hopeless - are we playing it out or Forfeiting?
I need to get better at etiquette on this because I went ahead and dropped. I'll wait until all agree in any future games before I forfeit.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:04 am It won't be enough, limited the capital cities to their IPC worth of production is probably the change that I miss most from the old game. I couldn't spend all the money and I really needed to.
I've run into that issue a time or two as well. I was hoping that would be enough to prevent your from being able to truly capitalize on your newfound fortune.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:37 am
Lassr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:28 pm

It was a our last best chance for victory. With all the IPC from Russia and no threat/focus on Russia, you could buy up defenses we would never penetrate. And we were not trying to take Japan down, just hold their fleet off. Which failed miserably.

Best I can do is try again for Germany, assuming you don't sink my navy. And that's not a likely successful venture with your reinforcements you will add, and my no longer having air support.

Think Redfive's right, we can forfeit, though as always, I will stick around and play it out longer if the Axis like.
Oh I agree, it was your last chance but I thought I had l left enough forces that it was doomed to failure, but I didn't have as much as I thought, so it had a chance. Thought THE US & UK then might try to train forces into one location trying to wear me down since UK + US IPC still greater than Germany (but maybe not by much with UK losing Africa). No matter which way, the odds were really stacked against the Allies once Moscow fell too soon.

Just happy I redeemed my self from the last time I played Germany, that did not go well at all. Quite often this whole game comes down to which side gets the luck of the dice on the Eastern Front, Russia or Germany.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:04 am
Redfive wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:04 am It won't be enough, limited the capital cities to their IPC worth of production is probably the change that I miss most from the old game. I couldn't spend all the money and I really needed to.
I've run into that issue a time or two as well. I was hoping that would be enough to prevent your from being able to truly capitalize on your newfound fortune.
If you were hoping the US Pacific navy might be a saving grace, that's not happening (right up until the last round of the fight, you rolled slightly above average, last round, 3 shots, all missed; I rolled slightly below, way below and finished you with 1 above average round).

If you want to forfeit, go for it (just letting you know in advance if that's where you go; playing on is certainly fine too - if you've got some hope of turning this around, I'd like to see your plan!)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Playing ranked game as allies that I'm probably going to lose (turn 7 just started, the Japanese have India, Russia was not stormed aggressively enough so they are actually one of the most powerful allies left in the game).

But I have some extremely small hope, so I play on. Retook Leningrad, Russia was boombed out, but I was able to repair to the point I could deploy 5 infantry there and 1 in Leningrad.

Except... After planning that out, forgot to go back to the land tab and buy said 6 infantry. So Russia will likely fall this turn. Might have anyway, but almost certainly w/o the 5 extra defenders.

:doh: :doh: :doh:
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I dropped out, good game Zenn7.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:24 pm I dropped out, good game Zenn7.
Good game indeed. That one had me guessing for a bit. :)

If you want to play another one, fire it up and pick your side of choice, I'm good with either.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

El Guapo gets to enjoy his war spoils in Honolulu and I think I'll celebrate in Rio De Janeiro.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lassr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:32 am El Guapo gets to enjoy his war spoils in Honolulu and I think I'll celebrate in Rio De Janeiro.
You pretty much have to after I sunk your navy. :P
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:52 am
Lassr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:32 am El Guapo gets to enjoy his war spoils in Honolulu and I think I'll celebrate in Rio De Janeiro.
True. Not a bad place to be left abandoned though. I was surprised I didn't at least sink one of your ships.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lassr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:21 am
stessier wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:52 am
True. Not a bad place to be left abandoned though. I was surprised I didn't at least sink one of your ships.
Me too - especially as it took three rounds of combat to take down the battleship.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Good game. The UK navy was a pain in the butt that game (especially given that my aircraft had a really hard time hitting British cruisers, and lost two fighters to the India AA gun). It's fortunate for me I suppose that Japan goes between the UK and the US, as that would limit the Allies ability to move the combined fleet too much (as dividing it would let me hit half the fleet with my whole navy).
Black Lives Matter.